• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - July 2015

rjc571

Banned
I bought GG Series All Breaker, it seems like a solid game but having to start over from the beginning every time you boot the game is a bit annoying. It lets you continue infinitely many times when you get a game over, so what's the harm in saving your progress and letting you select which stage you want to start from? It's inconvenient that I have to set aside a large chunk of time if I want to see every stage, especially since I don't know how many stages there are and it gets really challenging really quickly.

Robin64

Cube Life doing well.

CJytDejWEAAQdTP.jpg:medium

GulAtiCa

I hear it's a pretty good Minecraft clone.

I don't think it has Redstone mechanics yet, when it does it will really open up the game.

I have Minecraft on PS4 and love building rail tracks and building all sorts of Redstone powered devices.

SerTapTap

I noticed the minecraft clone on Wara Wara plaza too. I guess I can't get too mad since it's hardly the first clone and Mojang never ported the real deal, I do wish I didn't have to see it on the home screen of my console all the time though. Meme Run was the worst at that though, it was up there for like a full month month, until it was taken down at least.

I played a build of Tiny Galaxy a week back or so myself. Did mostly like it myself, though can become a bit punishing in difficulty. heh

I mostly like it but the lack of polish really shows--the visual polish I can forgive, but there's some minor but persistent wonkiness that gets pretty frustrating due to the sort of Meat-Boy ish difficulty design. Always lags for a couple seconds after respawn, then is smooth, some positioning of obstacles is a bit poor. And I don't get sick or anything but I do wonder how well the game would play with a fixed camera instead of moving. I also don't like the inertia of the camera, having to wait for it to recenter for an extra second after you stop moving.

And some of the polish stuff is kind of weird--the menu is touch only, game is controls only, map shows how many stars you have but not which levels you got 'em from. But the biggest thing I feel it's missing is a par time--it feels good to go through a level all smoothly and expertly after screwing up, but without a timer or better yet a dev-set par time it doesn't feel as satisfying. A system like Mighty Switch Force's par time would be great.

GulAtiCa

I mostly like it but the lack of polish really shows--the visual polish I can forgive, but there's some minor but persistent wonkiness that keys pretty frustrating due to the sort of Meat-Boy ish difficulty design. Always lags for a couple seconds after respawn, then is smooth, some positioning of obstacles is a bit poor. And I don't get sick or anything but I do wonder how well the game would play with a fixed camera instead of moving. I also don't like the inertia of the camera, having to wait for it to recenter for an extra second after you stop moving.

And some of the polish stuff is kind of weird--the menu is touch only, game is controls only, map shows how many stars you have but not which levels you got 'em from. But the biggest thing I feel it's missing is a par time--it feels good to go through a level all smoothly and expertly after screwing up, but without a timer or better yet a dev-set par time it doesn't feel as satisfying. A system like Mighty Switch Force's par time would be great.

Yeah, I felt the same.

Kudo

What are some must-have games for Wii U?
Thinking about grabbing Premium Set with Splatoon one of these days for starters.

Robin64

What are some must-have games for Wii U?
Thinking about grabbing Premium Set with Splatoon one of these days for starters.

So many at this point.

Mario Kart 8
Super Mario 3D World
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
Bayonetta 2
Wonderful 101
Yoshi's Woolly World
LEGO City Undercover
Pikmin 3
New Super Luigi U

Just off the top of my head.

SerTapTap

My favorites have been:
Pikmin 3
DKC Tropical Freeze
Nintendoland
SM3DW
Wind Waker HD

Earthbound is required too of course

PEGI just rated Wicked Monsters Blast HD Plus for Wii U (surely eShop as it lists it by the dev). It originated on Wii retail by Corecell (Valcon published it in NA, not sure who did in EU) and later got a PS3 version via PSN just titled Wicked Monsters Blast HD.

This release at the moment looks exclusive. Wonder what additions will be added going by the Plus subtitle.

zroid

Banned
They should do some sort of special VC offer this week relating to games that Iwata worked on.

I'll admit something like that crossed my mind. But I don't know... don't you think a promotion because somebody died is kind of in poor taste? A curated category of such games might be more appropriate.

Bowl0l

I'll admit something like that crossed my mind. But I don't know... don't you think a promotion because somebody died is kind of in poor taste? A curated category of such games might be more appropriate.
Agreed. A Direct to announce Iwata's passing will be more appropriate.

L~A

Why not ask for a Nintendo Treehouse Live for the funeral, while you're at it, hmm? ;)

Anyway, hope we do get the download PR today :)

Perhaps I guess. I was thinking sort of a memorial type deal whereby fans get to see what he worked on. In retrospect, a sale is probably not the best way and a section on the e-shop may be more appropriate. In any case, I think it would be cool to say 'Hey kids, this guy who you know as CEO of Nintendo - he was a dev and these are the cool games that he created'.

zigg

Cool re Year Walk. Simogo makes great stuff; I hadn't got around to trying YW yet.

An eShop category of Iwata's greatest hits would be a fantastic memorial. But yeah, I agree, no sales.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I would agree. You don't use the name of someone who recently passed away as a way to promote something like a sale.

Now if Nintendo decided something like "We decided to make Balloon Fight, one of the first games Iwata worked on, free in order for everyone to see where he started", MAYBE that might be a bit better because Nintendo wants people to see how Iwata got his start with the company. Though maybe wait a bit so people don't go "too soon", but it would still be in better taste than "50% off sale on all VC titles relating to Iwata!" because it would still feel like you're taking advantage of people and trying to make money on the passing of someone close to gamers.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
What if all sales in the sale went to charity?
That would be much better in comparison, assuming the % of funds going to charity was a decent amount. But again, it might be for the best if they waited a bit, i.e. did it in August or Sept. in order to prevent the "too soon" crowd from jumping on them.

maxcriden

Or maybe people can be commemorated without a "SALES!" or "FREE!" sticker.

I don't think anyone here is salivating over the idea of getting a free game or sale. Just exercising ordinary human curiosity about how the eShop storefront will/could respond to Iwata-san's passing.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I don't think anyone here is salivating over the idea of getting a free game or sale. Just exercising ordinary human curiosity about how the eShop storefront will/could respond to Iwata-san's passing.

They could just play Hip Tanaka's remixed Balloon Fight music and put an Iwata picture or something? I don't think Iwata was the type to want something extravagant, although I could be wrong.

TheMoon

I don't think a digital storefront is the right place for this. Way too tacky. They won't do anything of that sort.

jholmes

I agree with what a lot of people are saying about a sale being tacky, but a curated list I think is fair. A lot of people are on here asking what Iwata worked on and what he did that they should play.

RiggyRob

I think a free giveaway of Balloon Fight at the end of the next Direct that addresses Iwata's passing would be an appropriate way to do it. Balloon Fight music for the eShop too.

Edit: On another note, I didn't realise it at the time but I finished Box Boy a couple of hours before Nintendo released their statement, which was a weird coincidence. I think I'll get back into Earthbound and finish it to appreciate Iwata's genius.

zroid

Banned
I think a free giveaway of Balloon Fight at the end of the next Direct that addresses Iwata's passing would be an appropriate way to do it. Balloon Fight music for the eShop too

Even better, they should play the Balloon Fight remix that Hip Tanaka uploaded the other day as a tribute

Pokemaniac

All y'all who ask for real-time/anime-style battles in Pokemon really need to get PokePark. The two PokePark games are probably the closest you'll get to that for the foreseeable future.

Note:This message isn't really directed at anyone in particular. It's just a response to some common comments I see in Pokemon threads.

PokéPark isn't actually that bad, though the second one is even better.

I second this. I found both games quite enjoyable.

jholmes

OK I hate to be this guy about Balloon Fight being given away but: A lot of people already got it for 30 cents during the Wii U's first year so this might not be an ideal giveaway. Regardless he worked on many other games, and really they're all great.

OK I hate to be this guy about Balloon Fight being given away but: A lot of people already got it for 30 cents during the Wii U's first year so this might not be an ideal giveaway. Regardless he worked on many other games, and really they're all great.

Balloon Fight HD - remade with the Nintendo Land visuals. Online leaderboards and all that stuff. Released on the eShop/Nintendo's website as a 'pay what you want' sort of thing. All proceeds go to the Satoru Iwata Memorial Fund for Cancer Research.

This would be a tasteful way to pay tribute, yes?

Or it could be given away for free and Nintendo donates 50 cents to cancer research for every download.

I just got around to getting Adventures of Pip. Is there any reason to get all the villagers from each stage? If y'all can tell me without being too spoilery.

maxcriden

I just got around to getting Adventures of Pip. Is there any reason to get all the villagers from each stage? If y'all can tell me without being too spoilery.

Fun game, right? It definitely picks up quite a bit partway through World 2 in terms of creative and compelling level design, but I found it fun from the beginning. Anyway, we're nearing the end of World 4 and have been trying to get the villages in every level and mostly succeeding. No idea yet what getting them gets you, but it certainly ups the fun factor to try to find them. They're like the NSMB Star Coins of the game.

Top Bottom