• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - March 2015

terrisus

Try it. It should help you save the $30 or $40 they're asking for it.

More like convince you that it'll be well worth the asking price. .

Fair enough. To be honest, I was very much looking forward to the game, but once I tried the demo, it was clear it wasn't up to snuff for me. True shame, really, as it has a lot of potential as a Valkyria Chronicles alternative. The mechanics and camera just flat-out blow in my opinion, and the missions they offer in the demo are a slog.

Frankly, it doesn't look that interesting to me, which is why I never got around to playing the demo.
So likely skipping out on it altogether.

terrisus

Well, sure. But it just seems frustrating since they just announced and started the initiative. It's not like they're putting much work into the ports either (not that I mind - I know it keeps costs low).

Heeeeeeeres Mooney!

They're not ports. They're not VC games. They're just downloadable Wii games.

Punch Out!! comes out this week in PAL, FYI. Pandora's Tower came out last week in Japan.

GulAtiCa

So I didn't know this, but apparently anyone who has a NNID on the Wii U OlliOlli was purchased on can download it for free on their 3DS if it's linked.

I just assumed only the NNID that actually purchased the game got the cross-buy, but my brother was able to download it for free.

Nintendo really needs to fix this.... This is a really bad design

Robin64

Well there are two methods developers can opt for. There's this one, where NNIDs on the Wii U automatically get flagged for the 3DS one, but that means multiple 3DSes can get it..

Or there's one where a Wii U or 3DS purchase gives you a code for the other. Less exploitable, unless you consider selling or giving away a code to be an exploit. It's the one I'd opt for, personally.

Ondore

The OlliOlli method is more customer friendly (just go to the eShop page) but it's more abusable than the Tipping Stars method is.

Ideally it'd just show up in a download list accessible online.

zigg

I don't know if it's such a bad design. It's basically family sharing for most cases, and family sharing has been showing up lately on the App Store and Kindle. I wish we had real family sharing, though.

Robin64

I don't know if it's such a bad design. It's basically family sharing for most cases, and family sharing has been showing up lately on the App Store and Kindle. I wish we had real family sharing, though.

It's pretty nice. I can see a case where a family has a Wii U between them, and two kids have a 3DS. Well who gets the free game on their 3DS? This way, they both do.

I mean, how exploitable can it be? How many NNIDs will an average person have on their Wii U? Two, maybe? And any outside of one will probably be family members.

zroid

Banned
Maybe all along this was the reason NoA said they didn't have the infrastructure for cross-buy? I always found that really odd, but it makes sense that they just didn't have a way to make it non-exploitable.

Apparently they knew about it and made Curve aware of it beforehand too.

Does the same exploit exist in Europe?

foltzie1

Could be their version of a family option.

I assume your NNID can only be linked to exactly one 3DS and one Wii U, though you can link multiple 3DS NNID to a Wii U.

If this is the case, it isnt so bad.

EDIT fixed typo

zigg

I assume your NNID can only be linked to exactly one 3DS and one Wii U, though you can multiple NNID to a Wii U.
Yeah, this is a really good point I hadn't thought about. Definitely limits the scope.

Oh yeah, certainly limited exploit. But does make things like OlliOlli happen even when you don't own the game.
In a family situation, though, you kinda do own the game.

jholmes

Could be their version of a family option.

I assume your NNID can only be linked to exactly one 3DS and one Wii U, though you can multiple NNID to a Wii U.

If this is the case, it isnt so bad.

Someone want to ask Curve or Nintendo about it? Perhaps this is official NNID policy. Who knows.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Someone want to ask Curve or Nintendo about it? Perhaps this is official NNID policy. Who knows.

Has this been brought up before anywhere?

I've never seen it mentioned anywhere, and I'd rather it stay quiet so it's not abused, but also not "fixed". I hesitated posting it in the first place, but this thread is rather quiet compared to most, and the people all seem decent here. Someone mentioned Nintendo had apparently told Curve about this.

It's nice being able to buy a game once, and share it with my two brothers outside of the Wii U. I do remember issues with the playstation sharing option before, and people creating threads on how to share games almost indefinitely, hopefully that can't happen on Wii U/3DS.

jholmes

Has this been brought up before anywhere?

I've never seen it mentioned anywhere, and I'd rather it stay quiet so it's not abused, but also not "fixed". I hesitated posting it in the first place, but this thread is rather quiet compared to most, and the people all seem decent here. Someone mentioned Nintendo had apparently told Curve about this.

It's nice being able to buy a game once, and share it with my two brothers outside of the Wii U. I do remember issues with the playstation sharing option before, and people creating threads on how to share games almost indefinitely, hopefully that can't happen on Wii U/3DS.

This is the first I've heard of it but outside of Europe it's really the first time it could've come up. If anyone in Europe could shine some light on the subject it'd help.

BooJoh

F Zero GP Legend tomorrow (thanks NE) - http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/rJlxnhjkty3QD_dJSZeXsipryilfSbGb

Sort of wish it was Metroid Zero Mission instead >_> but I'll probably buy it.

Will buy to support my favorite racing series.

It's also the best "2D" F-Zero outside of Japan. Now if NOA would just give us Climax. It has a little Japanese text but nothing critical and it's incredibly easy to figure out what everything is without knowing a lick of Japanese.

This is the first I've heard of it but outside of Europe it's really the first time it could've come up. If anyone in Europe could shine some light on the subject it'd help.
I'll hazard a guess; maybe there are two types of ownership licenses: purchased and by association. Purchased if the NNID who spent the money, by association if the NNID on is on the same hardware as the purchased one. By association licenses allows other users to download content (useful for DLC packs, say father purchased it but his NNID is locked down and the kids want to play the newly release DLC pack before father comes home, they can just go on the eShop and download it thanks to this).

So say on the 3DS side the promo conditions trigger with by association licenses for some reason (maybe it can't tell the difference) sounds like a stability fix could solve that. But like other posters have said, maybe this the first step in some sort of family account sharing.

It might also be an intentional circuit break. I don't think you can purchase a game if you have a by association license (didn't PS plus do something similar at some point where if you had a game in your library from that you couldn't buy it) so in that case if you purchased the game on an NNID that isn't what the 3DS uses you are not barred from the promotion.

In any case given the device restriction NNID has (I don't even know if single NNID can be untied from a Wii U or if it is an all in or all out approach) this isn't going to turn into a PS3 sharing apocalypse overnight, unless the smaller userbase of the Wii U is leading to some 3DS owners making users on their friends Wii U systems just to do this which is well...a little sad really.

BooJoh

Was GP the totally brand-new GBA F-Zero game?

No, Maximum Velocity (already on the eShop) was all brand-new cars, tracks, music, etc.

GP Legend has classic cars, remixes of classic music, and both original and remixed versions of the SNES tracks plus some new stuff.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Isn't GP Legend that game based on the show based on the game? From what I understand, those don't turn out very well....*remembers Sonic Boom demo*..

TheMoon

Isn't GP Legend that game based on the show based on the game? From what I understand, those don't turn out very well....*remembers Sonic Boom demo*..

Yes that's it. It has a story mode. Regardless, the game is awesome. Just love it already, everyone lol. Stop it with the doubts.

BooJoh

It's somewhat based on the show in that it adds one, maybe two characters who were created for the show, and the story mode (which is secondary to the other modes) is semi-related to the show, but mostly it's just a straight-up F-Zero game. It received generally favorable reviews, but bombed at retail anyway, resulting in the west missing out on the best "2D" F-Zero and likely contributing to the death of the series overall.

If you liked F-Zero SNES or Maximum Velocity, then GP Legend is well worth your time. It can be a bit easy compared to the rest, but it's a great game.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
If you liked F-Zero SNES or Maximum Velocity, then GP Legend is well worth your time. It can be a bit easy compared to the rest, but it's a great game.
Doesn't sound like it's for me, then. I found the 2D games "meh", but GX on GCN seriously fun...if not frustratingly hard at times.

jholmes

Someone needs to bookmark this thread so the next time someone complains that Nintendo won't make any F-Zero games we can point to the pages and pages of people who have never played GP Legend but insist it's not worth buying.

BooJoh

Someone needs to bookmark this thread so the next time someone complains that Nintendo won't make any F-Zero games we can point to the pages and pages of people who have never played GP Legend but insist it's not worth buying.

It was the same story when it came out. Reviewers generally liked it, people who bought it generally liked it, people who never played it declared it the worst game ever, and when it hit $10 at retail it only reinforced the negative perception.

terrisus

It was the same story when it came out. Reviewers generally liked it, people who bought it generally liked it, people who never played it declared it the worst game ever, and when it hit $10 at retail it only reinforced the negative perception.

Hey, I'll be buying it!

I just wish that we were getting Climax
Or that we got the F-Zero X Expansion

I <3 Track editors

jholmes

Hey, I'll be buying it!

I just wish that we were getting Climax
Or that we got the F-Zero X Expansion

I <3 Track editors

I wish we were getting that Excitebike game from the Wii ported to the Wii U. There's all this Wii Shop stuff I never got around to that could use an HD port.

Not that that's related but you bring up track editors and I can't stay quiet!

I guess N64 and GC games are not coming to The Wii U VC anytime soon if at all. Not a big deal as the only must have games for me that are not redone or represented on current Nintendo systems are Super Mario 64, Wave Race 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes, SSX 3, Viewtiful Joe 1-2, and Eternal Darkness.

That said, what do you guys think the chances are of getting some no-brainer Square games on Wii U VC like Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI (III) and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance?

I need Nintendo to ideally do a full on Super Mario 64 remake on any platform, pay the Tetris Company to put out Tetris DX again, do a new version of Wave Race for the Wii U, remaster Super Mario Sunshine and Eternal Darkness for the Wii U, and release the following Wii U VC games:

Wii U SNES VC:

Super Mario RPG
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VI (III)

Wii U GBA VC:

Super Mario Advance 4
Metroid Zero Mission
Mario vs Donkey Kong
Drill Dozer
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Ninja Five-O
Astro Boy: The Omega Factor (pay everyone off and make this happen!!)

Konami can remake MGS one, then EA can do SSX 3 HD Online for PS4. I can dream right?

donny2112

GP Legend has classic cars, remixes of classic music, and both original and remixed versions of the SNES tracks plus some new stuff.

:O

Loved F-Zero (SNES), hated F-Zero X (never got the hang of it, I guess), and was okay with Maximum Velocity. Never played Legend, though. The biggest problem I had with MV was that they took away my favorite mechanic from the original F-Zero where if you were going absolute max speed, you were drifty, but if you kept it just a couple of kph below max, you stuck like a glove. Does Legend bring back that from the original F-Zero, too?

BooJoh

:O

Loved F-Zero (SNES), hated F-Zero X (never got the hang of it, I guess), and was okay with Maximum Velocity. Never played Legend, though. The biggest problem I had with MV was that they took away my favorite mechanic from the original F-Zero where if you were going absolute max speed, you were drifty, but if you kept it just a couple of kph below max, you stuck like a glove. Does Legend bring back that from the original F-Zero, too?

The mechanics are closer to that of MV where your best bet in sharp corners is usually to tap the accelerator, but the handling feels more forgiving, and you have over 30 racers to choose from (mostly lifted from F-Zero X) which gives much more variety and choice in how your vehicle handles.

To be fair I like my racers with more resolution and graphics than the GBA had to offer. Even back in the day. 2D has its old school charms but for racers not so much.

I don't think that was really a mechanic in the SNES game, or at least you weren't really supposed to actively try to not go at max speed. It's probable that what you use is a side effect of the turning mechanic in every 2D F-Zero game, including the SNES one, where you have to tap the accelerator button on turns. Tap faster on tight corners, etc, depending on how much you want to drift or stick to the road.

In any case, GP Legend is fastastic and seeing people go so far out of ther way against reason to convince themselves otherwise is depressing me.

In that case I apologize. The premise of finding a game like Citizens of Earth unplayable in 2D seems pretty outlandish though.
Is it more or less outlandish than cancelling a preorder for a game you like because it's in 2D? He obviously doesn't care enough about Citizens of Earth to give it a chance if it doesn't include a feature he likes. Isn't that almost exactly what you're doing with Theathrythm Dragon Quest, except that you actually like the game in the first place? I don't like it when 3DS games are not in 3D, it feels cheap, but calling other people outlandish for their decisions while you yourself are doing the same thing, except with a game you actually like, is a bit extreme.
Also, not everyone who quotes you is out for a fight. You can set your alarms off and drink less coffee. Someone replied to you showing sympathy and you called them an asshole. Think about that for a second.

Camjo-Z

Today's the day fellas. The day when the great SEGA gods come down from the sky to bring us our true savior... OutRun 3D!

Ondore

giphy.gif

Top Bottom