• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - September 2015

Why is Mario Maker 39.99 Euro and $60 here?

Regarding the digital version: In Europe, we only get a pdf of the artbook and no way to order a free physical version like in the US. The physical artbook will be sold seperately on their online shop.
So depending on the price of the artbook (96 pages, hardcover), the price difference gets smaller.

donny2112

However I also think this because Skyward Sword is a giant slog that just wastes the player's time for no reason. Bosses are repeated, you fly around in this big cloudy expanse doing NOTHING again and again, Fi will not stop repeating to you everything you just heard, the music notes are stupid and just pad an already very long game. That said I think Skyward Sword had some really good ideas as far as dungeons went. But yeah, probably the weakest in the series since the shift to 3D.

I started to think I was just souring on the series and maybe getting a little too sentimental but playing through the Wind Waker remake made me realize how great that game was and how pointless this franchise has been on consoles in 3D, except for Ocarina and Wind Waker.

I like you. (^_^)

I think this is a little bit harsh in that I think the boss fights are probably the best part of Twilight Princess (especially if you haven't already played Shadow of the Colossus and might think they're really original) but I do agree Twilight Princess is a dull game. I think the controls are fine but it's just so uninteresting to play through.

I think I could agree with this. I just wouldn't say all of the boss fights are amazing (Armogohma and Ganondorf being standouts for terrible fights). It's possible that the boss fights are the best parts of the game, but none of them reach the heights of Koloktos, so it feels like a bit of a hollow victory.

Thanks, Beren. I appreciate your feedback, sincerely. I know we differ on Skyward Sword, so I'm wondering what you think of the other Zelda games?

Zelda games incorporate tons of different elements, so I've found that people play them for different reasons. Some people really like the dungeons, for instance. My favorite part is the exploration. Give me a general heading and let me wander where I will and find cool things, and I'll be happy. Places that are hidden or tucked out of the way, or little tidbits of the game that you really have to dig around to find - I love those things. I'm also into tone, mood, and setting, and can even derive quite a bit of that from 2D games.

So my favorite Zelda games are the ones that cater to those aspects: Majora's Mask, Legend of Zelda (NES), Link's Awakening, Wind Waker, Ocarina, Adventure of Link, LttP, Link Between Worlds. The pure, unbridled wilderness of the original LoZ is absolutely my jam (and this isn't nostalgia talking, I only first played that game a couple of years ago), and Majora's incredible tone and hidden character conversations and masks and other things tucked away make it one of my favorite games of all time.

The reason TP and SS fall so low on my Zelda rankings is because they lack both of those things. Both have abysmal exploration. Skyward's tone is all over the place, while TP tries to be mature and dark and fails to capture that feeling. While I have plenty of complaints about both of those games, those two specific things really hurt them for me. Neither accomplish what I play Zelda games for.

Remember last week how I noted that StarTropics 1+2 were £4.49 each rather than the £3.49 grandfathered from the Wii Shop. I checked the eShop yesterday and there they were at £3.49. So yeah, press release gaffe.

Physical release w/Artbook has an RRP of €50. NOE seem to experimenting with different price points at the moment like Splatoon shows. Of course they've not abandoned €60 completely as Devil's Third was just released for that.

Orgen

How can you say that Skyward Sword is worse than Wind Waker? come onnnnnn!!! :p

What a disappointment coming from OOT and MM. The sky from Skyward was pretty empty yeah but the sea from WW was not any better. And do I need to talk about the dungeons from WW? (the meat from every Zelda game, remember).

I have the remake for Wii U and I hope that is something better than the GC game because it left me such a sour taste :|

maxcriden

The Euro is pretty weak right now, right? So the price is more comparable between pound and dollar, as games have traditionally been pricier in EU. I will say I think the primary reason for the lower price is that EU sales of Nintendo games are pretty rough, so I suspect NOE is just trying to do what they can to maximize sales. Like you, I think SMM was priced according to flagship status rather than according to included content, unlike some other recent releases, but I am confident it will be well worth every penny, and stuff like GCU helps quite a bit with the price. (Though for once I'm going digital, but in this case because I had some extra eShop funds.)

Regarding the digital version: In Europe, we only get a pdf of the artbook and no way to order a free physical version like in the US. The physical artbook will be sold seperately on their online shop.
So depending on the price of the artbook (96 pages, hardcover), the price difference gets smaller.

I do think this is part of the reason, but of note I believe the book is softcover for NA and hardcover for EU so that probably diminishes its cost a bit.

TheMoon

The Euro is pretty weak right now, right? So the price is more comparable between pound and dollar, as games have traditionally been pricier in EU. I will say I think the primary reason for the lower price is that EU sales of Nintendo games are pretty rough, so I suspect NOE is just trying to do what they can to maximize sales. Like you, I think SMM was priced according to flagship status rather than according to included content, unlike some other recent releases, but I am confident it will be well worth every penny, and stuff like GCU helps quite a bit with the price. (Though for once I'm going digital, but in this case because I had some extra eShop funds.)

Of note is also that NOA is in the red while NOE is profitable so maybe NOE can be a little more risky and NOA has to make more safer bets with these retail things such as charging the full 60 for a major Mario game which is guaranteed to do well.

maxcriden

Of note is also that NOA is in the red while NOE is profitable so maybe NOE can be a little more risky and NOA has to make more safer bets with these retail things such as charging the full 60 for a major Mario game which is guaranteed to do well.

Absolutely. Good point, and I didn't know that, thank you. That makes sense, too. I also think in general EU gamers are used to getting new retail games for far lower prices in their currency denomination whereas NA gamers are used to paying essentially full, comparatively high price for new releases.

TheMoon

Absolutely. Good point, and I didn't know that, thank you. That makes sense, too. I also think in general EU gamers are used to getting new retail games for far lower prices in their currency denomination whereas NA gamers are used to paying essentially full, comparatively high price for new releases.

Pretty much all regular retail games are €59,99 here as well (€69,99 if you're in "luck"). NOE is really just the odd man out with their budget pricing of late. Of course places like amazon discount them a lot depending on the country (amazon France and Spain are often quite a bit cheaper than Germany for example) and then there's the whole weird discrepancy thing between the UK price and the EUR price. It's a bit of a mess :D

maxcriden

Pretty much all regular retail games are €59,99 here as well (€69,99 if you're in "luck"). NOE is really just the odd man out with their budget pricing of late. Of course places like amazon discount them a lot depending on the country (amazon France and Spain are often quite a bit cheaper than Germany for example) and then there's the whole weird discrepancy thing between the UK price and the EUR price. It's a bit of a mess :D

Sounds like it. I guess I always see people on GAF who are buying games for all systems, talking about getting this or that new game for dirt cheap (within their EU currency). So I wonder if maybe retailers just don't adhere to the MSRP as much in EU as they do here--which I think is what you were saying with the Amazon remark. Hmm. Thank goodness for getting to use that GCU discount for free, but I'm sure I'd happily pay full price for plenty of games nonetheless.

sörine

Banned
Wind Waker's a bit better than Skyward Sword, but it's also way way worse than both Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess.

Refyref

I like Skyward Sword's world/setting/overall the most, but Twilight Princess has by far the best dungeons, so it's between these two for me.

Orgen

Same. I got no time for the "but this one sucked!!" wars :D

Didn't see anyone here saying that some Zelda game sucked ¿?¿?

In my case I love all 3D Zeldas too but WW is the only one that I didn't complete 100% (getting all the hearts and pictures) Disappointmenton!!!

I'll see if my opinion changes with the Wii U version :D

jholmes

How can you say that Skyward Sword is worse than Wind Waker? come onnnnnn!!! :p

What a disappointment coming from OOT and MM. The sky from Skyward was pretty empty yeah but the sea from WW was not any better. And do I need to talk about the dungeons from WW? (the meat from every Zelda game, remember).

I have the remake for Wii U and I hope that is something better than the GC game because it left me such a sour taste :|

The Wind Waker dungeons may not be really interesting conceptually but they are designed very tightly. Adding the warping pots was a really good idea.

And the sea in Wind Waker is like Times Square compared to Skyward Sword. There are places to go, things to do and quick(er) ways to get there.

foltzie1

Didn't see anyone here saying that some Zelda game sucked ¿?¿?

There are sixteen+ different Zelda games. Someone is bound to think some of them suck, and they would be wrong by most objective standards, but there are better and worse Zelda games. This is a series that has had games wtih isometric 2d, side scrolling, 3d, co-op, standard controls, analog controls, motion controls, touch controls, audio controls. Some of those things are more divisive than others.

donny2112

The Wind Waker dungeons may not be really interesting conceptually but they are designed very tightly. Adding the warping pots was a really good idea.

And the sea in Wind Waker is like Times Square compared to Skyward Sword. There are places to go, things to do and quick(er) ways to get there.

Yep. For all the flack the original Wind Waker got for the Trifoce fetch quest, I had already gotten most of the pieces by the time that part of the story came around! I just explored everywhere and did everything I could in each square because I wanted to. That left not that much to do when the Triforce fetching finally came around. WWHD improved it a ton more with the fast wind changes and faster ship, but the original didn't leave me with a bad taste like it did for some others.

I also agree with the guy who plays Zelda for exploration purposes. That's me through and through. Why I love Super Metroid/Metroid IV/Metroid Prime/Metroidvanias, too!

maxcriden

Beren, Moon, Donny, everyone--thanks for the feedback and participation in the Zelda convo. I think those of you who prefer exploration, I can completely see why you'd be more opposed to a game like Skyward. For me it had an excellent balance of interaction and exploration with dungeons, but I can see how its linear style would be a big turn-off.

I think my favorite Zeldas are the ones that have the most assured sense of what they want to accomplish. I do really, really like all the Zeldas I've played thoughtfully and to completion, though. I don't think there is a 2D or 3D Zelda I've given a true chance to that I haven't ended up being a huge fan of. When I first played Twilight Princess, I just kinda went through the motions I think. I was excited about a new Zelda, but I was in a period of my life where my gaming preferences were a bit more ambiguous than they've since become, and where gaming in general was just losing steam for me as a hobby. I was more into comics and TV, and then I got into cooking quite a bit as well not too long after.

You know, when my wife and I first tried Skyward Sword we absolutely hated it. At daydream and others' behest and thoughtful advice, we eventually tried it again and adored it. I'll say that I'm playing Phantom Hourglass right now for the first time as my wife was such a big fan of it, and really digging it as well. I think each fully-fledged Zelda is pretty terrific on its own merits and each just has a very different thing it's trying to accomplish.

In terms of sheer style and character, Wind Waker comes to life in a unique way no other Zelda or game I've played is able to replicate. Like Orgen, I remember feeling like sailing was a bit tedious or aimless at times, but I did consult a guide and take a couple of very longgg (like multi-year) breaks in playing the game, so I don't think I got the most authentic experience of it that I could have. I've re-started it a bit here and there, but never the HD version, so I'm hoping that provides for an opportunity to better appreciate its strengths. That's what I'm trying to do with the Wii version of Twilight Princess now, too, and though the original Zeldas are a bit hard on my eyes now, I would like to re-try Zelda I and II at some point. Oh, and I really should beat that one LTTP boss I didn't beat on my last playthrough. I think I played the game as a kid on GBA as well but...man, I think I beat it, but I'm just not sure....

Oh, and did I ever beat the final Link's Awakening boss? Or the linked game boss of the Oracle series? And...did I ever go for the figurines in Minish Cap? (Or TWW for that matter?) Hmmmm.....

donny2112

Or the linked game boss of the Oracle series?

I consider the linked Oracle games better than Link's Awakening, which most people peg as the top portable Zelda prior to Link Between Worlds. Love that there's just so much stuff to do when you play them linked, as you have to go back and forth between the two games to get everything. The boss isn't a big deal, but the game just goes to another level, in my opinion. Integrated games resulting in integrated exploration makes for a great game to me. (^_^)

maxcriden

I consider the linked Oracle games better than Link's Awakening, which most people peg as the top portable Zelda prior to Link Between Worlds. Love that there's just so much stuff to do when you play them linked, as you have to go back and forth between the two games to get everything. The boss isn't a big deal, but the game just goes to another level, in my opinion. Integrated games resulting in integrated exploration makes for a great game to me. (^_^)

I don't remember to what extent I really took advantage of the linked games back when. I sure remember being super hyped for the games to release, though. I used to prefer Ages but I think Seasons is my fave now. After all, the Subrosians and Animal Buddies are *both* in that one.

(I could talk for days about how impactful Zelda NPCs have been for me.)

Anyway, I was very poor at skillfully and thoughtfully making the effort to do Zelda sidequests before a few years ago, especially collectibles, but Minish Cap, Skyward, and LBW invigorated my interest in doing so properly and without a guide. I imagine that alone will have a big impact on my appreciation of some Zelda games.

P.S. I've got both Oracle games on 3DS VC and definitely plan to replay them properly sometime. :)

BearChair

This seems like the best place to ask this, but if there's somewhere better let me know.

I'm planning to do a Castlevania marathon in October. I already have 1-3 on 3DS VC and Order of Ecclesia on DS. Dawn of Sorrow is on the way.

I see Rondo of Blood and Super Castlevania on listed on the Wii Virtual Console. Does that service still work, though? Would I need to track down points cards, or did it make the transition to real money at some point?

I haven't hooked up my wii in years, but buying those two on VC seems like the cheapest legal way to play them both on my TV given the options available to me (no Vita, SNES or T16)

maxcriden

This seems like the best place to ask this, but if there's somewhere better let me know.

I'm planning to do a Castlevania marathon in October. I already have 1-3 on 3DS VC and Order of Ecclesia on DS. Dawn of Sorrow is on the way.

I see Rondo of Blood and Super Castlevania on listed on the Wii Virtual Console. Does that service still work, though? Would I need to track down points cards, or did it make the transition to real money at some point?

I haven't hooked up my wii in years, but buying those two on VC seems like the cheapest legal way to play them both on my TV given the options available to me (no Vita, SNES or T16)

Hello

picgifs-banjo-kazooie-6010277.gif
!

You've come to the right place.

The service does still work. You won't be able to use real money, insofar as the Wii disc drive unfortunately does not include a teleporter to a tesserarct space that can deposit cash to Nintendo directly, but the good news is that you can use a credit card on the store. For the time being, the Wii Shop is indeed still up. You can go in through your Wii or the virtual Wii in your Wii U. :)

I'm just happy to be one of those guys who loves all the 3D Zelda games. : )
Same. I got no time for the "but this one sucked!!" wars :D
Add me to this club. There's way too many games that are actually bad to say that a Zelda game isn't good and sound like you're saying the truth. Everyone should play Home Alone 2 or Army Men or some crap like that every once in a while as a reminder of what a bad game actually plays like.

Yes, the Wii Shop Channel is still accessible, and you can use a credit card like maxcriden said, but keep in mind that you have to buy Wii points in 1000 pt increments. Which means, if you only want to buy those two Castlevania games (800 for SCV4, 900 for RoB), you would be left with 300 points.

Zeeman

Yes, the Wii Shop Channel is still accessable, and you can use a credit card like maxcriden said, but keep in mind that you have to buy Wii points in 1000 pt increments. Which means, if you only want to buy those two Castlevania games (800 for SCV4, 900 for RoB), you would be left with 300 points.

Stupid Wii points. I've been tempted to grab Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy III (VI), but I'll have 400 points left over and nothing else I'm particularly desperate to grab.

maxcriden

Yes, the Wii Shop Channel is still accessable, and you can use a credit card like maxcriden said, but keep in mind that you have to buy Wii points in 1000 pt increments. Which means, if you only want to buy those two Castlevania games (800 for SCV4, 900 for RoB), you would be left with 300 points.

Oh yea. Forgot about this. Those 300 points could be used towards your purchase of the N64 games you don't already have. Since they look a lot better on Wii VC than Wii U VC. ;)

BooJoh

Has anyone who preordered Mario Maker digitally and called in to order the book had any updates on their book order?

I got an email a couple days after my initial order saying there was an error with it and they had automatically created a new order for me, and checking my account showed the order processing, but now when I check my account it shows no orders at all and doing a manual check by order number doesn't show the newer order, only the older one with the status field blank.

I suppose I could call support about it tomorrow.

Well I jumped the gun on this post. Got a shipping confirmation email today.

donny2112

There's way too many games that are actually bad to say that a Zelda game isn't good and sound like you're saying the truth.

Zelda games have a certain cachet, so when we say that x Zelda game wasn't good, we're comparing it to our internal understanding of the expected level of good is for a Zelda game. It doesn't mean it was bad in an absolute sense. e.g. Metroid II is a bad Metroid game, but it's a good game on its own (just not for a Metroid game).

Zelda games have a certain cachet, so when we say that x Zelda game wasn't good, we're comparing it to our internal understanding of the expected level of good is for a Zelda game. It doesn't mean it was bad in an absolute sense. e.g. Metroid II is a bad Metroid game, but it's a good game on its own (just not for a Metroid game).
That's sort of understood, but still... people are way too liberal with the word nowadays. Bad means bad, and on top of no 3D Zelda game being that yet, I genuinely think that all of them are extraordinary. Even if my favorite is Majora and even if I think that every 3D Zelda after that is kind of incomplete and short of perfection in a sort of frustrating way for such a big fan of the series as I am, they are still absolutely among the very best of the superlative.
No one really got particularly extreme in this thread but conversation about the Zelda series has gotten to a point where I just don't really want to take part in it and just wait until it dies down. Even if it starts with an innocent post, people always end up overemphasizing their opinions to make their point heard above the others, until every single game in the series is eventually mentioned as the worse.

By the way, you rrrreally chose the wrong Metroid game to pick on in front of me and Maxcriden, GAF's biggest Metroid 2 fans XD

e.g. Metroid II is a bad Metroid game, but it's a good game on its own (just not for a Metroid game).
Yo yo yo Max! dis here mr.donnysomenumbers be poppin' off down on our straight-up GameBoy game Metroid Da Second. what is we gointa do bout that? *knucklez be cracking yo*

I'll say that I'm playing Phantom Hourglass right now for the first time as my wife was such a big fan of it, and really digging it as well.
Have you two played Spirit Tracks? It's really good! And more so coming after Phantom Hourglass, which I felt was a bit lackluster. ST is an improvement all around, specially in the dungeon design and the music, the weakest parts of PH for me, by far. It's also got some pretty unique stuff to it. It's sad that so many people talk down on it after everyone decided that Phantom Hourglass is the worst.

Tizoc

Hello

picgifs-banjo-kazooie-6010277.gif
!

You've come to the right place.

The service does still work. You won't be able to use real money, insofar as the Wii disc drive unfortunately does not include a teleporter to a tesserarct space that can deposit cash to Nintendo directly, but the good news is that you can use a credit card on the store. For the time being, the Wii Shop is indeed still up. You can go in through your Wii or the virtual Wii in your Wii U. :)

Woah he was playing on a gameboy in the N64 games? What was it changed to in the non Nintendo re-releases?

Absolutely. Zelda games are too well-made for any of them to be bad games. These are titans among video games. But you can have preferences even for titans. I like some far more than others. :)

and though the original Zeldas are a bit hard on my eyes now, I would like to re-try Zelda I and II at some point.

If you ever want to try those out again, I'll be happy to help! I love those games.

GamesRocket sent me the serial number of Super Mario Maker!!! Looks like I'll have the game preloaded for launch :D

Thank you for posting that. I ordered at gamesrocket.de, too, but somehow my code wound up in my spam folder. Can you register and download it, even though the game isn't technically released on the eshop yet?

CraigMcD

Thank you for posting that. I ordered at gamesrocket.de, too, but somehow my code wound up in my spam folder. Can you register and download it, even though the game isn't technically released on the eshop yet?

I doubt it. Game have sent their codes out early in the past and they weren't redeemable until release after the Pikmin 3/Wonderful 101 fuck up.

donny2112

By the way, you rrrreally chose the wrong Metroid game to pick on in front of me and Maxcriden, GAF's biggest Metroid 2 fans XD

Yo yo yo Max! dis here mr.donnysomenumbers be poppin' off down on our straight-up GameBoy game Metroid Da Second. what is we gointa do bout that? *knucklez be cracking yo*

To me, Metroid games are supposed to be the realization of the joy of exploration in game form. Metroid II requires basically zero back-tracking if you're thorough on each level as you progress. Therefore, it falls short of the goal of a Metroid game from my perspective. The story is critical as it leads into the pinnacle of Metroid games in Super Metroid, but the game itself, even though I like it as a game, just doesn't cut it as a Metroid game. Even Other M required some back-tracking to get 100% and see the real ending (real ending was worth it!). That game wasn't so bad once you got past all the ridiculous restrictions and could just use your powers anywhere to explore.

Man, this stuff is fluid. For example, as a measure of a good game, Metroid II > Other M to me. As a measure of what a Metroid game should be, Other M > Metroid II to me. Point-of-view changes a lot! :lol

GulAtiCa

Yep. Were starting to get to the part of the year where lots of games get released each week. More so once Oct and Nov start.

I actually could release a new game by Nov, but that be very dumb.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Should be, as it was on Wii's VC, along with its 1987 arcade version (which I doubt will be on Wii U since there's no arcade ports).

Top Bottom