• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS RUMOR - pinch salt

Zenny

Banned
RUMOR: NOA's Camp Hyrule may have just let the cat out of the bag.

Last week, Nintendo of America held its annual week-long Camp Hyrule. During the week, campers can participate in various Nintendo-oriented, online activities and one of those being able to chat with NOA workers themselves.

In one of Camp Hyrule's chatting sessions, Smash Brothers DS may have been possibly revealed.

CHEEBO: Whats your favorite DS game Mysterious?
NOA_MYSTERIOUS: I can't wait until Zelda DS and Smash Brothers DS!
_KIRBY_MASTER_: SMASH BROTHERS DS?
BARK_N-MOO: WHAT DID YOU SAY?!?!?!?!
_KIRBY_MASTER_: NEVER HEARD OF THAT
WINGS19: Is Smash Bros DS in development? o.0
NOA_MYSTERIOUS: I said nothing....
NOA_MYSTERIOUS: : )

As we all know, a Zelda DS is in development for the Nintendo DS, but up until now a Smash Brothers DS has been only speculation. While this still needs to be taken as a rumor, it is a subtle clue that Nintendo likes to give a few hints every now and then about an upcoming title.

Head's up to GCAdvanced for the article!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Hmm..I had never considered how this might work on 2 screens.

But seriously, how high up would this guy be? Is he just hoping for that, or would actually know about it?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
A portable Smash Bros with wireless functionality... OMG I DIE!!! Imagine, like 16 players at once?

Smash Bros would be the only game I'd want to play online, hopefully we'll have Smash Revolution online multiplayer.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
It'd hardly be surprising if true. It's sells amazingly well, the N64 had one and the DS is as powerful and HAL must have some games in development.

I hope they take advantage of the second screen (maybe as a new way of returning to the stage?), but even if if they don't, it'd be good to hear confirmation. I'm never been entirely sure of the series future after its creator left Nintendo.

You don't even need to work for Nintendo to know that they will make a Smash Bros DS. Its Nintendo's biggest seller, they would be more stupid than usual to not make it

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I don't think it's so obvious, or such a given. Nintendo has its own special brand of logic that does not guarantee the proliferation of best-selling titles across their platforms (for example, where is my "real" Pokemon RPG on Gamecube? where was metroid on N64?). They could also have put Smash Bros on GBA (as a 2d fighter) but they didn't. So I don't think it's at all guaranteed.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
I successful franchise/formula created by Nintendo and put on their own new system? No way! Next people will be saying that there'll be Zelda and Pokemon games on the DS!!!

edit: holy shit! there is a Zelda game coming to the DS. Wonders will never cease.

gofreak said:
I don't think it's so obvious, or such a given. Nintendo has its own special brand of logic that does not guarantee the proliferation of best-selling titles across their platforms (for example, where is my "real" Pokemon RPG on Gamecube? where was metroid on N64?). They could also have put Smash Bros on GBA (as a 2d fighter) but they didn't. So I don't think it's at all guaranteed.

I understand what you're saying, but a "real" Pokemon RPG on GC would be a big budget, large studio affair; HAL already has the N64 game as a base to port over, all they would need to do would be to add a bunch of extras.

I do kind of agree about Nintendo's odd sense of logic, and I wouldn't be surprised if I am proven utterly wrong

firex

I heard that they are going to launch with a Duck Hunt DS remake, only you shoot alcoholic crows that keep squawking at you to buy a PSP.

AniHawk

Scrow said:
I successful franchise/formula created by Nintendo and put on their own new system? No way! Next people will be saying that there'll be Zelda and Pokemon games on the DS!!!.

19990908l.jpg

I seriously doubt this. Why? It's simple. How do you play Smash Bros without an analog stick for control? Last time I checked the entire concept of the game was built around being able to apply a varying amounts of pressure / speed on the analog stick to determine the type of attack used (ie - regular attacks vs SMASH attacks). DS has no analog stick, and I doubt the game would work well with a D-Pad, even if it was an analog one.

They could also have put Smash Bros on GBA (as a 2d fighter) but they didn't.

No, they couldn't have. See above.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
StrikerObi said:
I seriously doubt this. Why? It's simple. How do you play Smash Bros without an analog stick for control? Last time I checked the entire concept of the game was built around being able to apply a varying amounts of pressure / speed on the analog stick to determine the type of attack used (ie - regular attacks vs SMASH attacks). DS has no analog stick, and I doubt the game would work well with a D-Pad, even if it was an analog one.
I guess the people at Nintendo are more imaginative than you.

ge-man

They could replace the analogue sensitivity with a two speed system, like traditional 2D fighters. That wouldn't change the core gameplay that much, but I suppose SSB experts might be thrown off a bit.

ge-man said:
They could replace the analogue sensitivity with a two speed system, like traditional 2D fighters. That wouldn't change the core gameplay that much, but I suppose SSB experts might be thrown off a bit.
Having 2 speeds for movement might not change the core gameplay much, but to change the way one does various levels of attack would be to alter the smash in Smash Bros., which I think is pretty core.

I always hated the analog control in the original ( I found it much tighter and far more functional in Melee) and I always wished that it used double taps for the smash moves. They would work just as well as , if not better than, flinging the stick in a direction.

ge-man

JoshuaJSlone said:
Having 2 speeds for movement might not change the core gameplay much, but to change the way one does various levels of attack would be to alter the smash in Smash Bros., which I think is pretty core.

I don't think that should matter. Smash attacks depend on how long you hold the A button. Taping the analogue stick is only a part of initiating the move. They could leave that out if they wanted.

I'm not trying to defend the idea of SSB DS game, but I don't think it's an impossiblity.

jarrod--Kirby is probably more likely anyway.

impirius

There are more than enough buttons to make a dedicated "smash" button. I'm more concerned about moving around the arena.

I'd like for the bottom screen to be a map screen so that there can be big, Hyrule Temple style arenas without your view of the action being a bunch of indistinguishable pixels. Plus, that'd make it a little easier to keep track of more than four players.

Tenguman

16players?? Smash Bros is hard to keep track of on a small TV...let alone a GBA sized screen with 16 players! I'll be impressed if they can pull off 4 players on the GBA sized screen.

what would help though is keeping all the menu data on the bottom screen. but then that kills some map possibilities with dual screens

I think this is BS in the sense that the people running the chat for the most part don't really know much more than we do, and their comments are heavily screened.

But with that said, the idea of a Smash Brothers game on the DS isn't that far fetched.

Well the same could be said about Mario 64.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Indeed. If Mario 64x4 hadn't been announced and rumours of both Mario 64 and Smash Bros. on the DS came up, I'd have said Smash Bros. would be the far more likely game to make it. But we're getting Mario, so I see no reason Smash Bros. can't make it.

jarrod

Banned
I wonder if Camelot will do another round of Mario Sports for DS? Maybe based off the N64 engines with GB style RPG mode? :)

StarFox 64x4 (with co-op play in the main game) would be fun also.

8bit

Knows the Score
Tenguman said:
16players?? Smash Bros is hard to keep track of on a small TV...let alone a GBA sized screen with 16 players! I'll be impressed if they can pull off 4 players on the GBA sized screen.

what would help though is keeping all the menu data on the bottom screen. but then that kills some map possibilities with dual screens

Main screen for one on one fighting, the other screen for the big picture.

Top Bottom