• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 2006 Conference Thread (start at reply ~#1300)

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
AzureRonin said:
The audience is more responsive over a tennis game that looks crappy than all the amazing graphics at the Sony conference. Sony's philosophy put to shame right there.
I noticed that too. Maybe Nintendo fans are more forgiving than Sony fans.

PkunkFury

Wow that was awesome! It was very well put together and the message was clear. I'm buying into it now. If priced around 200, The Wii is going to sell.

Really made Sony's conference look even worse. The DS showing made the PSP look like a lame duck. All those games out of nowhere. And the Wii looks to work just as well as described. Can't wait to here impressions of some of those games

datruth29

Overall, the entire thing was okay. However, if I would have to rate each section, I would say the beginning KICKED ALL KINDS OF ASS!!!!

Amir0x

Banned
My thoughts...

Graphics: Atrocious. I mean, some looked sub-PS2 level. Even Metroid Prime 3 looked EXACTLY like a mirror version of Metroid Prime 2. Mario Galaxy even didn't look that great graphically. It was just worse than I had even thought it could be. Depressing, but we knew it would be this way.

Gameplay: Mix. Mario Galaxy looks legitimately fun, as does Pilotwings and a bunch of others. But EVERYONE who used wiimote looked like a huge incredibly embarrassing douchebag, and even the 'smaller' gestures looked hilarious. I'm already a geek and a loser, but upping my geek/loser quotient by 80% is slightly less appealing. I hope sitting down and just slightly waggling my wand is not as disgustingly embarrassing.

That said, it DOES seem like a legit revolution... and it's also THE ONLY SYSTEM I CAN AFFORD. That should be the tagline. Wii™: The Only System You Can Afford. *sigh*

Support: Can't tell. They said they will let third party games do the talking this week, so we'll see.

Bonus: Fire Emblem, Yoshi's Island 2, Starfox. YES YES YES PLEASE.

Kolgar

anachronous_one said:
OK, so exactly WHY aren't the Mario characters in WiiSports instead of these el generico doodle characters? These could've easily been Wii Mario Golf, Wii Mario Baseball, and Wii Mario Tennis.

RIP-OFF TOTAL!!!

:D

I'm glad they did this. If they want to expand the market, they have to break away somewhat from the overdone Mario, Zelda, Starfox thing. These "generic" characters are more accessible and will help Wii expand it's appeal.

Nice decision.

Soul4ger

Complaints:

No GBA
No DS third-party outside FF: Crystal Chronicles
No Smash Brothers
No Metroid Dread
Still kinda left us hanging on how we're supposed to store downloads and stuff for Wii, when there's no goddamn hard drive
No price

Otherwise, my rikey.

Kuroyume

Banned
Sony's conference was 10000x better imo. Even though it was boring as fuck 98% of the time the reaction about the gyro Dual Shock and price point in here was awesome. The ending to this conference would have been better if they had picked the fatter guys.

Aryuken

Banned
I watched it over IGN, 755 K going strong baby.

Well i liked what i saw, altough....it kinda felt incomplete this Conference, there was something missing imo.

Well the PRice will be very important for me, i hope its 200$ or less, more than that and i will have to wait.

PolyGone

Banned
underwhelmed.

A speaker in the controller? wtf

I think they actually showed FF:CC while talking about FF3 during the DS stuff.

Solid show, good first-party stuff on Wii/DS, Nintendo's got their shit together. Graphics are Xbox quality or worse, but Mario, Zelda, Excite Truck have me there day one. Metroid 3 was a little disapointing. Overall solid, but I wouldn't want to just own it for my only console

Not a single GC game?

Not one GBA game?

Nothing for Arcade?

No Smash Bros?

No Pilotwings?

No ending thatnks to Gamespot screwing me over?

3rd pilar is over. :(

acidviper

Banned
Hero said:
Tennis demo for the fucking win right there.
The controls look horrible and you can't move. The player automoves. It seems you can't control your shot either. And the graphics are subN64.

superfly

Best intro ever, nintendo are crazy!

Some of the games look like fun, but they didnt give me a sense of "wow revolutionary"

No wi-fi or virtual console details, no stage debut and now menu navigation sucked

photoshops of miyamoto are gonna be crazy

Good confrence. I'm suprised they didnt announce a price though. They must be waiting to see what microsoft does with the 360 price point. As for the games, they all obviously need more tweaking but i trust they'll come out well.

Zelda and Mario on launch day would be a serious backhand to the ps3. And just so we can end all this silly debate, there is no way in hell the DS3 can emulate what the Wiimote can do.

I do wonder one thing though? Reggie said 27 Wii games tomorrow, and much more videos of other games. What secrets are nintendo still hiding? Tomorrow is gonna be great.

Face it guys, Nintendo is back:)

Crab Shaker

Doesn't pay his sources
I have to add to the nintendo splooge and say awesome show.

On this day, God smiled and said "now you know children, now you know."

bachikarn

Ninja Scooter said:
Mario Galaxy probably isn't even coming this year, with Zelda seemingly being their big launch title, and Mario not even being demoed.

Nah, EGM said Mario and Zelda were 2006. MP and Smash 2007 though : [

Reggie said it was in their interest to not reveal the price or release date for the moment.

Re: Read Steels controls:

The leaked game informer article stated that there is a delay with the controller because most peoples arms dont stay still when holding the remote which would make the camera all wobberly. I hope they allow for sensitivity tweaks for it.

Goddamn Nintendo, show someone playing Mario Galaxy! It's like my dream game and you hardly even showcased it. I'm sorry but they should've ended with a demo of Mario. Or maybe a video of Smash Bros.

if i was the competition winner, i would have done backflips up the stage. :)

brilliant conference, wished i was there. reggie delivered once again!!

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
GameSpot worked flawless for me - too bad I was on the phone for 30 minutes though during the best parts... sigh...

No Smash Brothers?

Oh well, it was a hell of alot better than the snore fest last night from Sony... here we actually saw games...

Now for Microsoft, my most anticipated conference...

Zamorro

AAAAAAaaaaaarghhh. No price.

Are they waiting for a positive/negative response ?

Still guessing : $ 299,-.

It's more impressive than the PS3. Why not ?

SaitoH

This conference was much more entertaining than the Sony one. I'm still not convinced about the Wii remote, but I won't be until I actually get to try it out myself.

No price and launch date though.

And Zelda not until Wii launch. =(

maxmars

Gamespot did not die on me luckily. Go Linux! :D

First impressions: this is going to be fun. As in reaaally fun. The tennis match alone was pure comedy to watch, can't wait to play with wife + kids! :lol

Oh and the footage shown was pretty decent.. That disaster game looks promising (see that giant Tsunami wave.. Wow!), The Excite Truck thing looked intense, MP was just too cool and hey, Red Steel is going to own! Man, what a fantastic line up!

Great great great conference.. :D

Maridia

Hero said:
Everything they showed for Wii looked awesome.

Super Mario Galaxy at launch please! Fire Emblem looks hot.

Tennis demo for the fucking win right there.

Some concerns though:

Traditional controller shell not shown.

Smash Bros. not shown

I don't think there's any such thing as the traditional controller shell.

0OoO0

I'm a bit disappointed that the wii's last secret was just a speaker in the remote...thought it would have been something mindblowing

DAMN! I hope somebody from the show can put out more Zelda info quick. That demostration was great but gosh there must be so much more left in the game they didnt show.

scarybore

Soul4ger said:
Complaints:

No GBA
No DS third-party outside FF: Crystal Chronicles
No Smash Brothers
No Metroid Dread
Still kinda left us hanging on how we're supposed to store downloads and stuff for Wii, when there's no goddamn hard drive
No price

Otherwise, my rikey.

There internal flash memory to save stuff too and you can use SD cards. Barring the GBA I agree with the rest of your points but that was a very nice conference. IM STOKED FOR WII!

User 7575

Banned
graphics: almost everything was a let-down, this coming from a person who expected half-life 2 graphics tops. mario looked very good, but everything else shouldn't have been shown.

gameplay: mario and a few others could be fun, but really right now i'm only looking forward to 2-3 titles.

DS is fucking amazing. so many games i need to get. I might not pick up Wii and just snag a lot for DS.

White Man

Started out nicely, showed some nice DS shit (FF3 and Zelda), then someone decided it was a good idea to let Iwata ramble, and then the show fizzled for me. If I were trying to play that tennis game in my apartment, even two player, some very expensive Apple products would likely get smashed.

I thought apartments were smaller in Japan? Is multiplayer really not that important there?

Aurora

This conference was very good, but I wonder why they didn't reveal more of their aces? If they closed it off with a showing of Smash Brothers = ultra megat0n.

Foil

That was a good show, but wasn't the "omg best Ever!!!" kinda thing. It started good, then got super boring.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
Crisis: Day of disaster was interesting.. nice "wave coming in over city"-scene there.
Besides this.. hmm.. don´t know.. I mean, I didn´t like Metriod Prime because of all the backtracking and such.. and if the Wii-version is similar but with a different controlling-scheme.. then that will not cut it, the "error" or the thing I don´t like is in the game, not in the controller...

Well..
A solid show, nothing spectacular but not crap either..

Top Bottom