• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 2006 Conference Thread (start at reply ~#1300)

trmas

Banned
I'm asking my wife for a DS Lite for Father's Day. The lineup for that system is incredible, and it will be great for business trips.

Things that bother me.

Little about online strategy
No shell (I reckon it's gone for good)
No firm release date
No price
No SSB
Every game shown was no more than 5 seconds.

It made it look like Nintendo is even less ready than Sony, but I don't actually believe than.

At least all the games looked like fun. Casuals am win

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Graphics: Ranging from the absurd to the sublime! Some stuff looked perfectly acceptable despite being low-poly or having low-res textures. Red Steel, Mario, Metroid, and Rayman looked good enough for me. Other stuff looked like shit. Tony Hawk, Pilotwings looked extremely barren, Tennis is a bit too simplistic for my taste, and some other stuff looked like shit. Excite Truck looked like something Square is developing for mobile phones.

Some stuff was obviously CG, which is something Nintendo hadn't trotted out since the Gamecube's unveiling. Disappointing.

Gameplay looks quite fun. Zelda looks wonderful. I can't play tennis in my dorm room like that. Sorry Nintendo, they should know this living in Japan. PEOPLE DON'T HAVE SPACE TO DO THAT.

WiiConnect24 is an awesome idea. I am pleased.

I want a Wii.

If only they announced the price. They could have fucking owned. We got nothing on Wifi Connection and we got nothing on Virtual Console. That is extremely disappointing.

Prospero

Perhaps there was no announcement of the Wii's launch price because after Sony's conference, Nintendo is thinking of raising it.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Because it's on the bottom of the last page. This is all up on Nintendo's press site. Someone needs to upload them.

[ >> Upcoming Wii Game List ]
Disaster: Day of Crisis™ >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork
Excite Truck™ >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork
The Legend of Zelda®: Twilight Princess >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork
Metroid® Prime 3: Corruption >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork
Project H.A.M.M.E.R. >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork
Super Mario® Galaxy (temporary name) >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork
WarioWare™: Smooth Moves >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork
Wii Sports >> Fact Sheet

[ >> Upcoming DS Game List ]
Big Brain Academy™ >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video
Brain Age™: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video
Chibi-Robo™: Park Patrol >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video
Children of Mana® >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video
Clubhouse Games™ >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video
Custom Robo™ Arena >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video
Diddy Kong® Racing DS >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video
DK™: King of Swing DS >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video
DS Air >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video
Elite Beat Agents™ >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video
Hotel Dusk: Room 215™ >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video
Kirby™ >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video
The Legend of Zelda®: Phantom Hourglass >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video
Magical Vacation (working title) >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video
Magnetica™ >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video
Mario™ Hoops 3-on-3 >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video
Mario vs. Donkey Kong™ 2:March of the Minis >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video
New Super Mario Bros.® >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video
Pokémon® Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video
Pokémon® Ranger >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video
Star Fox® DS >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video
Sudoku Gridmaster >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video
Tenchu: Dark Secret™ >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots
Yoshi's Island® 2 >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video

the reason they probably didn't show too much of cut scenes is their new marketing. just have people play the games to decide if they like them. they did say that they knew their advertising strategy for ds didnt work and they need to go about things a different way. this is probably it.

siege

Banned
I'm pretty underwhelmed. I guess I really need to play the Wii for myself, because watching people play it looks pretty silly.

The graphics are no better than on the Gamecube. Even the best looking games (Zelda, Mario, and Red Steel) could easily be done on the GC. That's disappointing, because I expected a slight upgrade in visuals, even though we were told it wouldn't be "next-gen."

The DS lineup looks hot and shows Nintendo will always rule the handheld market.

I dunno, I think I might buy the Wii if it launches under $200, but I'm not exactly impressed with it after watching this conference. Maybe I've finally gotten older and to the point where I'm jaded with video games. Nothing really grabs me anymore. :(

Madrin

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Best News is two versions of Zelda! Zelda Wii with Mario at launch!!

I must have missed this. Two Zelda games? As in one of them simply has Wii functionality? Why not just put the bloody game on Wii only.

Link1110

Wii looks great, has more games I want than any other system

----
Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey
Tiger Woods 07

PS3
----
Yet unannounced Tales game
POSSIBLY ff13 Versus (If the kh2 team makes it enough like kh2)

Wii
----
Mario Galaxy
Zelda: TP
Fire Emblem
FF:CC:The Crystal Bearers

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
MaestroRyan said:
graphics: almost everything was a let-down, this coming from a person who expected half-life 2 graphics tops.

I agree. I expect HL2 level graphics from this machine. Metroid didn't look significantly better than MP2 and I also couldn't see how it used the wiimote because aiming still appeared to be lock-on.

Red Steel has promise, but right now it looks barren and lacking in enemies and AI. It should be at HL2 level.

WarioWare looked like my fucking GBA graphics

Mario Galaxy has semi-arse graphics too, the "grass" was an N64 texture. Hopefully these titles will improve in appearance by the time they launch. The gameplay looks very fun, but I hope they tone down how much movement you need to do and I expect AT LEAST GC level graphics from most games...so to see sub-GC quality from some titles was disappointing.

Some of the new IPs look, to be frank, shit - both graphically and gameplay wise. Excite Truck? wtf. Project HAMMER - "sometimes its fun just to smash stuff". wtf

Taker666

I liked the conference...but can't help but think it was entirely backwards.

Start with the Tennis, have Zelda and the Wii trailers/demos at the end.

Anyone know when Gamestop will put the stream up?

Also, is there anywhere else I can watch it right now? I missed it due to stupid fire training.

Stlj;rwjtkr;slkgsrGrtgretxcgxf

Olivier

Fuzzy said:
Because it's on the bottom of the last page. This is all up on Nintendo's press site. Someone needs to upload them.

Wii Sports >> Fact Sheet

Didn't they show a Pilotwings kind of game early during the conference? What happened to that?

Ponn

Banned
Graphically the games were...Gamecubish. I don't think anyone can argue that (i'm sure there are a few that would try though). That shouldn't be the point though if you want to get a Revolution. They still looked good and seeing both the analog attachment and remote used in action now i'm more convinced it will work out well and be both responsive and fun to use. I don't know why they are still playing hide and seek with stuff that just shouldn't matter to show at this point. Virtual console, pricing, shell controller, package, price and date.

I think it's a bit funny that they really backtracked on Zelda and now its a full on Revolution title for launch and everything with baby brother Gamecube copy coming out seperately. You'd be a fool not get the Zelda for Revolution though. Alot of that was pretty impressive and didn't come off cheesy at all. Really excited to pick that up for launch. The Mario game looks pretty good. I'm thinking Red Steel is going to suffer from overhype and under deliver. Metroid will probably be the title to really show off using the controller in FPS. AND YES REGGIE CALLED METROID A FPS!!

My call is

Revolution w/ one controller for - $199

Getting for launch will be one green Revolution, Zelda Revolution, Warioware and maybe Mario if its available.

Wii need to know a launch date money will not be an issue (don't kid yourself that you wouldn't buy even if its 299 or even 349 usd)... well .. sold x 1 in any case...

Fuzzy said:
Holy shit, Nintendo's press site has a new layout! It also has a shitload of art assets up!

Wii Sports >> Fact Sheet
link

bluemax

Banned
Aurora said:
No Smash Brothers and very little Super Mario Galaxy :(
I was expecting Miyamoto to hog Mario for an hour.
Zelda should have been given more time too - I wanted to see more fishing.

Also: very little DS footage! Where was FF:CC DS etc.?

Guess we have to wait till tomorrow?

They showed FFCCDS but called it FF3.

acidviper

Banned
I think they are holding it all back for TGS, gives less time for Sony to copy. No new info of any use. Game announcements and snippets are fine, but IMHO waste of time. No big news at all.

Chrono

Banned
Wow I never thought I wouldn't get a Wii this year. And to think I also won't be getting a PS3 until late 2007 next-gen so far is nothing but a disappointment.

- REVOLULTIONARY GAMEPLAY OMG... nothing. A tennis game...? bleh. There was NOTHING fresh and innovative in that conference. Show any idiot that controller and they'll list the same ideas Nintendo demonstrated.

- NO MARIO... again, what the hell?

- GAMES... overall absolutely nothing in there made me want to buy a Wii.

- Zelda sword fighting... uh, did I miss anything? >_>

- CONTROLLER SECRET... so what the hell was miyamoto referring to when he said the controller does more? the speaker? was that really worth keeping a secret. -_-

- GRAPHICS... are repulsive. Disgusting. For the love of god nintendo you're not doing HD... you don't need much of a jump in specs to show a difference from gamecube.

- KOBUN HEAT... his blog said nintendo will have many "holy shit!" moments that eclipse Zelda in E3 2004... NOT A SINGLE ONE TODAY.

I fucking hate the fact that if this thing wins japan because of brain training 4/5/6 jpn developers will shift focus and for the next 5-6 years all my favorite developers WILL BE STUCK ON LAST GEN HARDWARE.

Worst conference ever. Maybe, just maybe, Nintendo held back after sony ripped off the revmote....? I mean not even showing Mario! This makes sense if you add in what Kobun heat posted in his blog.

Please, please sony get this right. Nothing on 360 interests me. Wii turned out to be everyting freakin' drinky said it'd be. That's it, I have no alternative. I can afford the expensive console but they better win this console war and get the support. ugh. :'(

tehrafe

Hm, no Smash Bros, and neither did they show the real new pokémon games for the DS.

But way to go @ Zelda and Super Mario Galaxy

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
One thought on Wii graphics:

By this point I would think New Super Mario Bros. (among others) would have taught people to NEVER judge a Nintendo game until it's done. They do way too much overhaul and tweaking to perfect it when they're on the ball.

MrSardonic said:
I agree. I expect HL2 level graphics from this machine. Metroid didn't look significantly better than MP2 and I also couldn't see how it used the wiimote because aiming still appeared to be lock-on.

Red Steel has promise, but right now it looks barren and lacking in enemies and AI. It should be at HL2 level.

WarioWare looked like my fucking GBA graphics

Mario Galaxy has semi-arse graphics too, the "grass" was an N64 texture. Hopefully these titles will improve in appearance by the time they launch. The gameplay looks very fun, but I hope they tone down how much movement you need to do and I expect AT LEAST GC level graphics from most games...so to see sub-GC quality from some titles was disappointing.

Some of the new IPs look, to be frank, shit - both graphically and gameplay wise. Excite Truck? wtf. Project HAMMER - "sometimes its fun just to smash stuff". wtf

It's all about the graphics? If you really are so concerned, why dont you just buy a PS3?

Ceb

I missed Mario, but everything else was very underwhelming. Looks like PS3 + X360 is the combo to go with for next gen. I have to question the priorities of the Nbois who seem to be more into idol worshipping than the quality of the games. "lol man did you see Reggie take that guy's name????" =/

NME

Did they actually say "Mario Galaxy is a day one title?" or were folks here speculating?

Honestly, if Zelda and Mario are day one titles, I'll pre-order the thing as soon as they start taking them.

All the gimmick stuff I can take or leave at this point. Red Steel does nothing for me. The tennis game seems like it would be fun for a few minutes, but again the space is an issue (as are the graphics). Excite Truck? What's wrong with Excitebike for Wii?

The Wii is, and has been for some time, a must-buy console situation. But I'm not particularly impressed with most of what Nintendo showed today.

yilmazz

I liked the conference.. graphics are ps2/cube/xbox level in the most games they showed, but yeah, I mean this isn't really news to me. I also hope all the visor people will shut up now.

For me it really worked to get you even more interested in the gameplay. Looks like a lot of fun and that's what I'm looking for.

Fuzzy said:

Wii Sports >> Fact Sheet

[ >> Upcoming DS Game List ]
Big Brain Academy™ >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video
Brain Age™: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video
Children of Mana® >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video
Clubhouse Games™ >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video
Custom Robo™ Arena >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video
Diddy Kong® Racing DS >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video
DK™: King of Swing DS >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video
DS Air >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video
Elite Beat Agents™ >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video
Hotel Dusk: Room 215™ >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video
Kirby™ >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video
The Legend of Zelda®: Phantom Hourglass >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video
Magical Vacation (working title) >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video
Magnetica™ >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video
Mario™ Hoops 3-on-3 >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video
Mario vs. Donkey Kong™ 2:March of the Minis >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video
New Super Mario Bros.® >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video
Pokémon® Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video
Pokémon® Ranger >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video
Star Fox® DS >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video
Sudoku Gridmaster >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video
Tenchu: Dark Secret™ >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots
Yoshi's Island® 2 >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Screenshots >> Video

awesome! Look at this list!!

So, any chance we can come up with the 27 playable titles?

Would REAL trailers of Mario, Zelda, and Metroid have hurt? It could have pumped the crowd up so much, instead of the 3 second splicing of them mixed with some shitty looking games. I dont understand Nintendo sometimes- dont they remember the crazy crowd reactions they get from footage of those games?

Saoh

MrPing1000 said:
Things that bother me.

Little about online strategy
No shell (I reckon it's gone for good)
No firm release date
No price
No SSB
Every game shown was no more than 5 seconds.

It made it look like Nintendo is even less ready than Sony, but I don't actually believe than.

At least all the games looked like fun. Casuals am win

true that. it was just a cover for the initial WTF reaction. i liked the conference, the only thing i didnt like was the sports demo´s. i dont care muc about graphics, but general people WILL pick on that.

If anyone finds out where the conference can be download, PLEASE let me know, PM would be great cause this thread is too fast to follow.

Timbuktu

The underwhelming graphics to me is due to a lack of effort rather than just the hardware. Zelda is one of the best looking games and it is a Gamecube game.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Monk said:
It looks like NES/SMS/TurboGraphix war all over again.

Um...

Genesis/SNES/Turbo. Funny you should mention that, since portions of all three systems' game libraries will be available on the Wii. :p

AniHawk

+Super Mario Galaxy
+Zelda!!!!
+Fire Emblem!!!
+STAR FOX DS!!!!
+YOSHI'S ISLAND 2!!!!!
+Sonic Wild Fire

-Red Steel
-all the other shit
-Disaster (haha)
-Excite...TRUCK?
-Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (LOL)
-No NiGHTS :(
-No SSB :(

But at least they showed off some REAL GAMES and stuff that could realistically be out by the end of the year.

I think the Wii will be a good system to have. I bet the 360 and Wii will make a good pair.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
[Nintex] said:
Nintendo just sold me the Wii
Only smash bros was missing but still Mario looked awesome :D

As if you needed to be sold :D :lol

But yeah, impressive showing... I'm gonna definitely get one now.

I thought it was an entertaining conference. It was pretty childish, i hated the rhetoric, and it did nothing to convince me to get a Wii, but i was entertained.

Polari

Days like these... said:
What media briefing were you watching? Did you confuse it with Sony's?

I was watching Reggie and Iwata with the combined charisma of a wooden board stumble their way through the presentation.

Four suggestions for next year:

1. Hire someone, anyone with charisma. Hell, get Miyamoto to do the whole thing, he's great. The show only came alive when he was onstage.

2. Don't tell us about Wii's sleep mode, etc. SHOW US. Show us the virtual console interface, show us how it all works.

3. Buy a copy of Apple's Keynote and ditch the graphic designer who's clearly stranded in 1992. Seriously. You've got the slickest consoles but the show looks like it was put together by an amateur hour crew.

4. Don't end on tennis. NEVER end on tennis. It's tennis, we get it, no-one cares. End on Mario, or save something like Smash Bros. for the finale.

Top Bottom