• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 2006 Conference Thread (start at reply ~#1300)

jacktion

Banned
Wow, that was awesome. Nintendo definitely kicked tons of ass. I am going to have to get a Wii on launch day now. In fact, I'm getting in my car right now to go pre-order it.
Mario looks amazing. Zelda looks amazing. The online sports package looks like super addictive fun. All the new IPs look incredible. I seriously think Nintendo is going to emerge on top this generation because their stuff looks just as good as the other guys, plus it's cheaper, plus it is more fun.

Oh yeah, Metroid 3 looks amazingly awesome. Drool-worthy.
Nintendo wins.

Johnas

Kaijima said:
One thought on Wii graphics:

By this point I would think New Super Mario Bros. (among others) would have taught people to NEVER judge a Nintendo game until it's done. They do way too much overhaul and tweaking to perfect it when they're on the ball.

I agree completely.

Side note, I'm a little bothered by all the arm-swinging and everything that the controller entails. I know we've seen it before dozens of times, but I thought it had been stated that slight wrist movements would be enough? I guess it varies with some games, but I really don't want to be running all over the place and knocking stuff down.

Nintendo fans here seem way too forgiving. Yes the Sony show went on too long, but at least there were some impressive titles to show off, both gameplay wise and graphically. Nintendo showed brief clips of some strange Mario title (Is it even a platformer?) and a Tennis game and you're all sold? If so, I say "Wow!"

Chrono said:
Wow I never thought I wouldn't get a Wii this year. And to think I also won't be getting a PS3 until late 2007 next-gen so far is nothing but a disappointment.

- REVOLULTIONARY GAMEPLAY OMG... nothing. A tennis game...? bleh. There was NOTHING fresh and innovative in that conference. Show any idiot that controller and they'll list the same ideas Nintendo demonstrated.

- NO MARIO... again, what the hell?

- GAMES... overall absolutely nothing in there made me want to buy a Wii.

- Zelda sword fighting... uh, did I miss anything? >_>

- CONTROLLER SECRET... so what the hell was miyamoto referring to when he said the controller does more? the speaker? was that really worth keeping a secret. -_-

- GRAPHICS... are repulsive. Disgusting. For the love of god nintendo you're not doing HD... you don't need much of a jump in specs to show a difference from gamecube.

- KOBUN HEAT... his blog said nintendo will have many "holy shit!" moments that eclipse Zelda in E3 2004... NOT A SINGLE ONE TODAY.

I fucking hate the fact that if this thing wins japan because of brain training 4/5/6 jpn developers will shift focus and for the next 5-6 years all my favorite developers WILL BE STUCK ON LAST GEN HARDWARE.

Worst conference ever. Maybe, just maybe, Nintendo held back after sony ripped off the revmote....? I mean not even showing Mario! This makes sense if you add in what Kobun heat posted in his blog.

Please, please sony get this right. Nothing on 360 interests me. Wii turned out to be everyting freakin' drinky said it'd be. That's it, I have no alternative. I can afford the expensive console but they better win this console war and get the support. ugh. :'(

Buy a PS3. Go sell your arm and stop whining about it. BTW, they did show a new Mario

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
1up ftw. The stream was as smooth as silk all the way through.

I'm really excited about Wii now. Mario, Sonic, Zelda, Red Steel, etc looked great.

They were definitely holding stuff back though. Probably saving it for TGS.

Also, about the graphics...most of these games were made using Gamecubes. I would not be surprised to see the graphics improve once the final dev kits go out next month.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
gamergirly said:
It's all about the graphics? If you really are so concerned, why dont you just buy a PS3?

god just stfu with the damage control. I am looking forward to wii, but for a new gen console with 1.5xGC power it is pretty disappointing to see so many titles (even from nintendo themselves) that look GC quality and nothing more. The new IPs, irrespective of graphics, look shite imo.

swander

That tennis game just reminded me of those Java table tennis games. However, I missed all the Wii games but the Red Steel trailer looks great.

Saoh

TheGreatDave said:
Nintendo love the Gamecube owners.

yeah, that kinda pissed me off. it doesnt make sense AT ALL imo. release ZELDA TP GCN now and WII later, fine, perfect.

release GCN and WII version close (how close?) and its just not worth it, WII version for sure.

Madrin said:
I must have missed this. Two Zelda games? As in one of them simply has Wii functionality? Why not just put the bloody game on Wii only.

MONEY!!!!, and also MIyamoto promised that Zelda would be GC

gaf never surprises me. ;)

I thought the show was fantastic. The new Mario looks amazing, Metroid Prime 3 looks great, TP on Wii (hehe) looks like it's a ton of fun, Yoshi's Island 2 is incredible news (almost makes up for not seeing Metroid Dred), Starfox is great news, I can't wait to get DKR, and that one disaster game was intriguing. Can't wait to see gameplay of that. And Fire Emblem! Wish they had showed more than FMV tho.

Mario Galaxy alone makes this an awesome show for me. I hope we find out for certain if it's launch or not, and it better be playable tomorrow...

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Holy mother fucking shit at the DS list at Nintendo's press site! I'm quickly downloading everything I can. The DS Lite cannot come soon enough.

I think that they didn't announce price because they still don't know how they're going to set up the bundles yet- Maybe they'll include the controller shell, or an extra 2nd remote. Or nunchucks for both remotes. Or a game. Or different system colors.

What I really wanted to see was more Mario Galaxies, more Pilotwings, and anything about Smash bros. Also a launch date would have been nice. Oh, and PIKMIN 3.

Johnas

Shikamaru Ninja said:
(10:02): Two versions of Zelda: Twilight Princess. One for GameCube one for Wii.

If you're an insider (I think you are?) and you know anything about Metroid Dread, would you/could you please tell me for sure if the game has been cancelled? Or something?

why the fuck are gafers whinning about the tennis game, its not meant for you its meant for you goddamn girlfriends i fyou have one and your dad and mom. its a non-gamer game shit, people are so usless sometimes. :lol

ExciteTruck actually looks really cool. I hope the game is good. I really wish they announced the price, because if they price it at $299, next gen won't happen for me till at least 2008.

Mario Galaxy looks like a combination of Sunshine's waterpackless levels, and actual levels. Looks very fun.

Overall, after watching that, I feel like they failed to answer the one thing I think we needed to hear.
Will we be able to unlock Shiggy, Reggie, and Iwata as playable characters in Wii Sports?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
MrSardonic said:
I am looking forward to wii, but for a new gen console with 1.5xGC power it is pretty disappointing to see so many titles (even from nintendo themselves) that look GC quality and nothing more. The new IPs, irrespective of graphics, look shite imo.
you just proved his point. if you are still looking forward to it, what does it matter if the graphics are meh?

I don't get the graphics people. if the game is fun to play, how important are the graphics? provided they aren't actually hindering or preventing portions of the gameplay, I would think they take a distant back seat to actually having fun with the title.

I don't know why the hate on Excite truck. I thought it was best looking and most interesting first party thing outside of Mario/Zelda. Now Project Hammer on the other hand, looked stupid (albeit a short clip)

Man what a mixed bag.

Wii R Ugly. There's no way around it, most games displayed looked terrible. I suppose there's still the slim hope that everyone, including Nintendo's shit, is running on GC. Because most of it looks worse.

Two different Zeldas = lame. So much for getting the GC version and being able to use it on Wii later. At least the graphics will be updated.
Yea.

That said, the controller looks awesome. Don't know if I actually care though.

And good to see DS isn't slowing down.

Chrono said:
Wow I never thought I wouldn't get a Wii this year. And to think I also won't be getting a PS3 until late 2007 next-gen so far is nothing but a disappointment.

- REVOLULTIONARY GAMEPLAY OMG... nothing. A tennis game...? bleh. There was NOTHING fresh and innovative in that conference. Show any idiot that controller and they'll list the same ideas Nintendo demonstrated.

- NO MARIO... again, what the hell?

- GAMES... overall absolutely nothing in there made me want to buy a Wii.

- Zelda sword fighting... uh, did I miss anything? >_>

- CONTROLLER SECRET... so what the hell was miyamoto referring to when he said the controller does more? the speaker? was that really worth keeping a secret. -_-

- GRAPHICS... are repulsive. Disgusting. For the love of god nintendo you're not doing HD... you don't need much of a jump in specs to show a difference from gamecube.

- KOBUN HEAT... his blog said nintendo will have many "holy shit!" moments that eclipse Zelda in E3 2004... NOT A SINGLE ONE TODAY.

I fucking hate the fact that if this thing wins japan because of brain training 4/5/6 jpn developers will shift focus and for the next 5-6 years all my favorite developers WILL BE STUCK ON LAST GEN HARDWARE.

Worst conference ever. Maybe, just maybe, Nintendo held back after sony ripped off the revmote....? I mean not even showing Mario! This makes sense if you add in what Kobun heat posted in his blog.

Please, please sony get this right. Nothing on 360 interests me. Wii turned out to be everyting freakin' drinky said it'd be. That's it, I have no alternative. I can afford the expensive console but they better win this console war and get the support. ugh. :'(

Were you really watching? I believe they showed mario, twice?

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
typhonsentra said:
Yes the Sony show went on too long, but at least there were some impressive titles to show off, both gameplay wise and graphically.

Sony showed off games that the X360 could have done, some shit looking GT footage, nothing of any gameplay merit at all - oh look, same shit different decade - and then pointed out they'd tacked some motion-sensing on the DS3. Oh, and by the way, this will set you back $600. It was a train wreck.

I predict MS to have the best conference now

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I'm pretty sure that Nintendo wanted people to PLAY wii games rather than watch videos of them during the conference. 27 playable wii games is a LOT more than what Sony has playable for PS3. We will see a lot of those missing games on the show floor lets not get our panties in a bunch. I loved the Red Steel, Metroid, Mario and Zelda controlled like a dream. I need to see more videos on the other games like Sonic to make a decision though. I was dissapointed with the Tennis game because of the lack of nunchuck movement. That game is overly aimed at casuals and is not meant for the Virtua Tennis fans. I'm sure Camelot will fill that void.

I wonder if after seeing Sonys show, Nintendo said "lets cut off the last ten minutes or theyll steal that to. Well end with the fat kid".

There has to be a SSB trailer. :(

Hey guys, sorry to bother some of you, but the show got weak after the really nice presentation.

No info on Wii (price, date, specs). Just a few games (most of them already known) and very short clips on the new ones. MORE MARIO FOOTAGE DAMN HELL.

No GBA and GC, DS got a little more love with 2 or 3 nice announcements.

Better than Sony? Sure. Awesome show? Nope.

Code_Link

Forgot the GameCube games:

Baten Kaitos Origins™ >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Video
DK™ Bongo Blast >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Video
The Legend of Zelda®: Twilight Princess >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Video
Super Paper Mario™ >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Video <----- WHAT THE HELL? :D

It's funny to me the split reactions here. From my vantage point, sounds great: trippy-ass Mario Galaxy, intensely Wiiified Zelda, and further buriage in hot new DS releases.

There are gonna be 27 Wii games playable on the floor tomorrow, guys. I would definitely bet that one of them is Mario.

I'm sure that we will see more details on VC and Wifi during the summer, kind of how X360 details slowly came out last year.

Don't bump the price up to $299 and make me hate you, though, Nintendo.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I don't understand some of you at all. Your expectations must have been insane. I thought some of you were crazy yesterday when you didn't like some of the PS3 stuff, now I'm certain of it.

They showed 4 playable games in an hour. Why would you expect more? They have this one chance to talk to people, they have 3 days for them to play the games.

It would have been nice to have more seperate trailers, I agree, but what I saw I'm excited about.

Matt

Nintendo's E3 site is partially up.

SO far all I can find that we don't know about yet is DS-Air, an air combat game for DS from Nintendo, on Wi-Fi. Looks really cool.

blahness

Code_Link said:
Forgot the GameCube games:

Baten Kaitos Origins™ >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Video
DK™ Bongo Blast >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Video
The Legend of Zelda®: Twilight Princess >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Video
Super Paper Mario™ >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Video <----- WHAT THE HELL? :D

hommina hommina hommina

It's nice to see something on Mario Hoops, but it'd be nice if they gave some idea of Dread's status.

Also, did anyone notice Mother 3 wasn't there? :(

And where was Ouendan? Did that person just make it up?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Super Paper Mario for GameCube!

2D/3D sidescrolling platformer with RPG elements!

borghe said:
you just proved his point. if you are still looking forward to it, what does it matter if the graphics are meh?

I don't get the graphics people. if the game is fun to play, how important are the graphics? provided they aren't actually hindering or preventing portions of the gameplay, I would think they take a distant back seat to actually having fun with the title.

Jeez, they're video games, you look at them, technology is advancing. I play NES, SNES games all the time, doesn't mean I just don't ever think about graphics. When did it become taboo to talk about? There are plenty of redeeming qualities to Wii it looks like and those will be talked about too. We all knew not to expect much, but that doesn't mean it suddenly is never a topic of conversation again.

Top Bottom