• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 2006 Conference Thread (start at reply ~#1300)

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Ok what do you people want from the Nintendo press site? Chibi Robo Park Patrol stuff? DS Air? What? Tell me! =)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The conference sucked. I can't believe the Wii can't do better graphics than what we saw. This is below anyone's expectations. Wii=GCN.

The only good parts, Disaster and Mario, were far too short. No smash. No Kid Icarus. Nothing new and exciting.

Zer0

Banned
why the katana attacks on the red steel video looks prefabricated? the hand on screen dont move like the real hand holding the wiipad

Code_Link said:
Forgot the GameCube games:

Baten Kaitos Origins™ >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Video
DK™ Bongo Blast >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Video
The Legend of Zelda®: Twilight Princess >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Video
Super Paper Mario™ >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Video <----- WHAT THE HELL? :D

..the fuck? Any GBA games? And where are you getting this from?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
dose said:
If you don't have the link I really doubt you have a user name/password.

Here's the list of 3rd party games.

Activision
Marvel™: Ultimate Alliance - Wii, GBA

Atari
Arthur & the Minimoys - DS
Dragon Ball ®: Advanced Adventure - GBA

Bethesda Software
Star Trek: Tactical Assault - DS

Buena Vista Games
Disney’s The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Undersea Adventure - DS
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest - DS, GBA
Spectrobes - DS (IP)

Capcom
Capcom® Classics Mini Mix - GBA
Mega Man Battle Network® 6 - GBA
Mega Man® ZX - DS

DSI Games
Kerplunk® Toss Across® Tip It® - GBA
Rock'em Sock'em Robots® - GBA
Uno® Skip-Bo® - GBA
ATV Thunder Ridge Riders - GBA
Monster Trucks Mayhem - GBA

Game Factory
Cartoon Network™ Racing - DS
Code Lyoko - DS
Garfield: Tail of Two Kitties - DS
Miss Spider Harvest Time Hop and Fly - DS
Noddy - A Day in Toyland - GBA
Strawberry Shortcake,
Strawberryland Games - DS

Majesco
MechAssault®: Phantom War - DS

Mastiff
Dr. Sudoku - GBA
Mr. D Goes To Town - Wii
Top Gun™ - DS

Midway
The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy - GBA
Happy Feet™ - Wii, DS
The Ant Bully - Wii, GBA, GCN

Sega
Charlottes Web - DS, GBA
Super Monkey Ball Adventure - GCN

Square Enix
FINAL FANTASY® III - DS
Dragon Quest® Heroes: Rocket Slime™ - DS

THQ
Alex Rider Stormbreaker - GBA, DS
Avatar The Last Airbender™ - GCN, GBA
Barnyard - GCN
Cars - DS, GCN, GBA
Monster House™ - GCN
Nicktoons 2006 - DS, GCN
Spongebob Squarepants - GCN

Saoh

typhonsentra said:
Remember when everyone thought the Metroid demo at TGS was just a retrofitted version of Metroid Prime 2? :lol

people judging graphics based on a VIDEO STREAM are hilarious :lol

MP3 wont come out untill 2007 at least, give it a break. i even barely noticed the light passing thru the gun shots in RED STEEL.

simple art, like the tennis demo is a different thing

Shmmeee

Saoh said:
yeah, that kinda pissed me off. it doesnt make sense AT ALL imo. release ZELDA TP GCN now and WII later, fine, perfect.

release GCN and WII version close (how close?) and its just not worth it, WII version for sure.

Of course it makes sense, how does it look if Wii launches with a 6 month old game? Keep the hype building, then let people who can't get hold of a Wii at launch pick it up for their GC.

Where is DS third-party support? I repeat: where is DS third-party support?

Who effin needs it? STARFOX DS!!!
maybe at 3rd party booths?

god just stfu with the damage control. I am looking forward to wii, but for a new gen console with 1.5xGC power it is pretty disappointing to see so many titles (even from nintendo themselves) that look GC quality and nothing more. The new IPs, irrespective of graphics, look shite imo.

I'm so amazed people are still complaining about graphics, I don't care, Nintendo doesn't care, the majority of gamers don't care. (If you want to argue about the last one, I will point you at Brain Training, Wario Ware, DS sales, GTA, PS2, etc, etc, etc.) Graphics only matter if they make the game play better, that's what you do BTW play games.

Everything I saw looked a blast to play, granted I did miss the first 20 mins, so maybe there was some shit in there?

27 playable games? I think we'll have to wait for the conference impressions to really judge wii. Maybe Mario is playable? It seemed to me they could have had a Mario64 all over again if they just demoed 1 level of the game. Graphically, it looked the best out of everything shown on my low rez stream.

quetz67

Banned
MrSardonic said:
Sony showed off games that the X360 could have done, some shit looking GT footage, nothing of any gameplay merit at all - oh look, same shit different decade - and then pointed out they'd tacked some motion-sensing on the DS3. Oh, and by the way, this will set you back $600. It was a train wreck.

I predict MS to have the best conference now
Sure, with the right glasses on

Mama Smurf said:
I don't understand some of you at all. Your expectations must have been insane.

Pretty much. How can you not be psyched about Yoshi's Island 2?

My only disappointment is no mention of Mother 3, but I'm hoping that'll be at their booth and they just didn't mention it because it's for GBA.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
I have one word for the conference: Solid

It wasn't anything spectacular and it wasn't horrible, they showed some powerful Nintendo franchises for both Wii and DS, third party was a bit weak, but hey nothing new there. Graphics kind of dissapointed me, but even that wasn't really shocking. Next up is Microsoft!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Chibi-Robo™: Park Patrol
Format: Nintendo DS™
Launch Date: TBA
ESRB: RP (Rating Pending)
Game Type: Adventure
Players: 1-2
Developer: Skip

KEY INFORMATION
In the last Chibi-Robo, our diminutive hero restored happiness to the Sanderson home, but in this DS sequel, he’s taking on the great outdoors.
• Playground equipment in the park is disappearing mysteriously and the flowers in the park have been transformed by evil monsters. It’s up to Chibi-Robo to save the day and make the park a nice place to visit again.
• This time around, Chibi-Robo gets to flex his mechanical muscles in new and interesting ways. He rides buggies, cars and boats across lawns and ponds, fights mysterious enemies with his trusty squirter, dances in the park to give life to the plants there and builds playground equipment to make the park a better place.

-----

DS Air (temporary name)
Launch Date: TBA
Game Type: Flight Simulation
Accessories: TBA
Players: 1-4 via DS Local Area Network or Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection (planned)
Developer: Nintendo

KEY INFORMATION
Players take their elite strike fighters to the skies and hunt down a mad dictator before he takes over the world.
• As Nintendo’s first realistic flight shooter on Nintendo DS, DS Air lets players customize their fighters with a state-of-the-art weapon loadout.
• Send wave after wave of enemy fighters to their doom in dogfights over land, sea and air.
• Meet a wingman for co-op play and soar to victory over Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection.

Game storyline: After being driven from his seat of power, a vicious dictator has fled to a remote, mountainous region to plan a military uprising. Mysteriously, the opposing army’s forces have received reinforcements, leading to speculation that an unknown nation is lending military assistance to the uprising. An ace pilot in an elite strike-fighter wing has been tasked with crushing the opposition forces and returning peace to the troubled region.

-----

Star Fox® DS (temporary name)
Launch Date: Aug. 28, 2006
Game Type: Sci-Fi Space Shooter
Players: 1-8 via DS Local Wireless and DS Download Play, 1-4 on Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection
Developer: Q-Games/Nintendo

KEY INFORMATION
Star Fox returns to its roots with a blistering space shooter on the Nintendo DS.
• Lylat needs help. Players hop into their Arwing fighter and fight through a unique branching storyline of missions, all rendered in gorgeous 3-D.
• Star Fox DS brings a whole new strategic element to the series with a commander’s view of the mission. Using the touch screen, players can draw the routes they and their teammates will take, then battle the enemies they encounter as they take over bases and strategically advance across the map.
• Players can blow their friends out of the sky as they dogfight with up to eight players over a local wireless connection or take on up to four players from around the world on Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection.

Who gives a shit about GBA or GCN?

Good riddance to them, they both should be put out to the pasture ... why should Nintendo waste dev resources on them?

Port Mother 3 ... but other than that .... fugehaboutit.

Code_Link said:
Forgot the GameCube games:

Baten Kaitos Origins™ >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Video
DK™ Bongo Blast >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Video
The Legend of Zelda®: Twilight Princess >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Video
Super Paper Mario™ >> Fact Sheet >> Artwork >> Video <----- WHAT THE HELL? :D

Aw yeah, they didnt forget about us. Now, why didnt they even mention it at the show?

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
gamergirly said:
It's all about the graphics? If you really are so concerned, why dont you just buy a PS3?

Why pay $200+ for a magical controller and Gamecube Turbo games?

It's like buying a tape player that comes with a remote over an mp3 player and you already bought a similar casette player two years ago.

Jonnyram

photo_classic.jpg

wow

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
borghe said:
you just proved his point. if you are still looking forward to it, what does it matter if the graphics are meh?

fucking hell. Is it so wrong to look forward to a gameplay innovation but express disappointment when the graphics pumped out on upgraded hardware are poor-GC quality? Can I not express that titles like Excite Truck and Project HAMMER look like arse and don't look like they are providing any advance in gameplay or exploitation of the interface?

I thought Reggie said Nintendo had a proper racer to show off, not some monstrosity.

Some of you guys really are cynical bastards. You've drifted so far away from gaming you care more about watching video trailers of games than actually playing them. The Wii is not about graphical showcases, hence why Nintendo's new motto is "playing is believing."

Have any of you actually picked up a Wii controller and experienced what the Wii is all about? The answer is no of course you haven't. There is a reason why Nintendo has 27 playable titles on the show floor, because with the Wii seeing is not believing, playing is.

For the ADD impaired, my message is wait for playable impressions before you call the Wii underwhelming or disappointing.

PhoenixDark said:
Anyone know when Gamestop will put the stream up?

It took a little over 2 hours after the Sony conference for them to put it up. I'd say you're better off doing something else for a while and check back later.

Ranger X

Total surprise for me!!
I was prepared to be deceived and instead i'm owned.
Excellent presentation. Seriously if this list can't convince you you're not a gamer:

- 2 new Mario
- 2 new Zelda
- new Starfox
- new YOSHI MUTHERFUCKING ISLAND
- new Diddy Kong Racing (was raping Mario kart imo and probably will again)
- new Pilotwings
- new Fire Emblem
- Mario Vs Donkey Kong 2

Holy. Shit.

One downside though. Just like Sony didn't talk about their online services Nintendo didn't said shit. And on top of that, no details on the Virtual Console service. Sucks.

MrToughPants said:
Why pay $200+ for a magical controller and Gamecube Turbo games?

It's like buying a tape player that comes with a remote over an mp3 player and you already bought a similar casette player two years ago.

I don't know about you, but I would easily put down $200 for anything magical.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
OMG! CLASSIC MARIO BROS GAMEPLAY WITH PAPER MARIO ART STYLE ON GCN!!!!!

This PR site has so much more then the conference did.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Yoshi’s Island™ 2 (temporary name)
Launch Date: Q4 2006
Game Type: Platformer
Players: TBA
Developer: Nintendo

KEY INFORMATION
• Return to the colorful wilds of Yoshi’s Island in a new platforming adventure for Nintendo DS.
• Saddle up for adventure. This time, Baby Mario™, Baby Donkey Kong® and Baby Peach are along for the ride – and each one gives Yoshi™ access to unique powers while they cling to his back.
• Thanks to the power of Nintendo DS, all of the lush vistas and perilous paths of Yoshi’s Island span two screens.

Game storyline: A mysterious floating island has suddenly appeared over peaceful Yoshi’s Island. Soon after its arrival, a gaggle of kids vanishes from the island school. Thankfully, Baby Mario, Baby Peach and Baby Donkey Kong manage to avoid being kidnapped. Now, Yoshi and the three young superstars must set out on a wild and colorful quest to rescue the kids and investigate the ominous island hovering overhead.

-----

Elite Beat Agents™
Game Type: Rhythm Action
Players: 1-4 via DS Download Play
Developer: iNiS

KEY INFORMATION
In a jam? Well, all these guys DO is jam! Prepare to rock as these beat masters use their groovy moves to save the day.
• As the music plays, players tap the screen, trace rhythmic patterns and keep the beat as the story unfolds on the top screen.
• Every scene is accompanied by rump-shaking tunes, but players have to keep the Elite Beat Agents grooving. The worse players do, the worse the story might end up.
• Rhythm games have come and gone, but no one has ever seen anything like the Elite Beat Agents. Whether they’re helping a lost dog find its way home or helping a babysitter charm a hunky football player, no crisis is too weird.

Game storyline: The public knows of government agencies like the FBI and CIA, but little is known of this super-secret agency. Code-named “Elite Beat Agents,” these men in black are heroes’ heroes and the coolest group of guys this world has ever known. Of course, according to official records, they do not exist.
Their leader, an ex-CIA agent named Commander Kahn, scans the world for cries of help. When he finds one, he dispatches the agents, who assist their targets by performing a song and dance. The hypnotic nature of their rocking revives the targets with “Groovy” energy that boosts their willpower and helps them overcome their obstacles.

Characters: Commander Kahn; Derek, Morris and J (the Elite Beat Agents); and a ton of other unusual characters. NOTE: Names are not final.

How to progress through the game: Every stage is presented in a storyline fashion. All stages share similar basic elements and game flow: The player gets introduced to the target’s problem in a comical intro. Commander Kahn dispatches the agents to the scene. The agents arrive in a special “Beat Transport” that is tailor-made for the situation. The song starts as the agents and player meet the target. Game play begins. By tapping and tracing patterns that appear on screen with the stylus, players play along with the song’s rhythm. The animated story changes depending on how well the player performs. After each section, the player gets judged. Depending on the Elite-o-meter’s judgment, the story will go well or poorly. If the player makes it though the whole song, he or she will be judged on the whole thing and get one of three endings.

-----

The Legend of Zelda®: Phantom Hourglass
Game Type: Action Adventure
Players: 1 for main game, 2 using DS Local Wireless
Developer: Nintendo EAD

KEY INFORMATION
The epic story of The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker™ continues as Link finds himself lost and alone in unknown seas in a new adventure. Featuring intuitive touch-screen controls and innovative puzzles, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass offers new challenges for fans of the series and an easy-to-grasp introduction for gamers new to The Legend of Zelda. But time grows short, and only the Phantom Hourglass can buy Link the minutes he’ll need to survive.
• The stylus makes controlling Link easier than ever. Tap on the screen to make Link move, or sweep the stylus around him to swing the sword. Players can even draw a path for his boomerang and send it flying into hard-to-reach targets.
• Players can stash the map on the top screen for quick reference or drop it to the touch screen to make notes, study enemies, or chart a path for their boat to follow while they man the cannons.
• Compete with a friend over a local wireless connection: Guide Link through special dungeons to capture the Triforce, or command the forces that oppose him.

Game storyline: Many months have passed since the events of The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, and Link, Tetra and Tetra’s band of pirates have set sail in search of new lands. They come across a patch of ocean covered in a dense fog, in which they discover an abandoned ship. Tetra falls into danger when she explores the ship alone, and Link falls into the ocean when he attempts to rescue her. When he washes up unconscious on the shores of a mysterious island, he is awakened by the sound of a fairy’s voice. With the aid of this fairy, he sets off to find Tetra – and his way back to the seas he once knew.
Characters: Link, Tetra and a host of new characters native to the mysterious lands where Link finds himself trapped.

How to progress through the game: The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass is controlled almost entirely by the stylus. Using the touch screen, players direct Link’s movements and attacks: A sweeping motion triggers Link’s spin attack and tapping characters makes Link speak with them. The stylus controls offer a more intuitive means of playing the game and open up new possibilities for puzzle solving.
The game action takes place primarily on the touch screen, with a map on the top screen. However, the player can inspect the map on the touch screen and make notes using the stylus. The notes on these maps are saved for review on the top screen during game play. Players use the map to chart courses for their ships, too. Using the stylus to draw a path through the islands, players set their ships’ courses. Then, as the ships automatically follow the paths drawn, players can control their ships’ cannons to target oncoming enemies.
In dungeons, players can use the touch screen to draw paths for boomerangs, sending them flying around corners or into otherwise unreachable areas.
Special powers/weapons/moves/features: The stylus-driven game play is the most compelling new feature of The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. Players use the stylus to control Link, chart courses for their ships, mark notes on maps and solve puzzles in both the overworld and dungeons.
A two-player wireless battle mode pits one player, as Link, against another player who controls the enemies pursuing him. Link must collect enough Force Gems before the enemies close in.

Chrono

Banned
Oh and why the hell didn't they GIVE US A ZELDA TRAILER? WTF.

gamergirly said:
Buy a PS3. Go sell your arm and stop whining about it. BTW, they did show a new Mario

- WTF with the 'buy a PS3' damage control. I'll be buying one, sure, Right now I'm talking about Wii AND IT'S A FREAKIN' GAMECUBE. I don't like that. You do, GOOD FOR YOU.

- I meant Mario PLAYABLE. As in miyamoto demonstrating the game and showing what makes this new console a 'revolution' in gaming.

BlueLegs

Just watched that Starfox video on the press site, and it looks like they must have only just started working on it as it looks and sounds really average compared to the rest of their DS games.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Zer0 said:
why the katana attacks on the red steel video looks prefabricated? the hand on screen dont move like the real hand holding the wiipad
This is what I thought too until I watched the IGN videos.

http://media.revolution.ign.com/media/821/821973/vids_1.html

Watch the one labeled video special. There is a part that clearly shows the on screen arm perfectly following the players hand. The sword combat may be preset movements however but the shooting definitely is real-time.

Graphics were underwhelming in general (the truck racer frankly looked like Dakar 2 Xbox), but the overall packaging and direction Nintendo is taking looks promising. Reception to Nintendo's conference though must be considered in light of the Sony disaster preceding it.

Regardless, no doubt I'll be getting a Revolution (will not use the other name) not far from launch to park near the 360, provided the initial pricing vs. packaging balances well. Looking forward to MSFT conference now.

Deku

Banned
LegendofJoe said:
Some of you guys really are cynical bastards. You've drifted so far away from gaming you care more about watching video trailers of games than actually playing them. The Wii is not about graphical showcases, hence why Nintendo's new motto is "playing is believing."

Have any of you actually picked up a Wii controller and experienced what the Wii is all about? The answer is no of course you haven't. There is a reason why Nintendo has 27 playable titles on the show floor, because with the Wii seeing is not believing, playing is.

For the ADD impaired, my message is wait for playable impressions before you call the Wii underwhelming or disappointing.

Aside from a handful of posters here who raised some issues they had over missing pricing/release and the relatively weak second half (George Harrison can't talk), I think most of the negative responses have been pre-scripted even before the show started. Some people already made up their minds long ago.

If it wasn't for a disaster of a Sony conference yesterday, they may have pulled it off too. But now, it just looks silly, or the usual sony defense force group posting the same old bs they have been about Nintendo products for months.

With exclusives like Fire Emblem, Crystal Chronicles, Metroid Prime, Zelda and Mario, and the fun multiplayer potential of games like the Wii Sports, Wii totally fulfils what I expect from a Nintendo console. The conference was a success.

Top Bottom