• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 2006 Conference Thread (start at reply ~#1300)

ant1532

Banned
photo_sensor.jpg

SENSOR BAR????? Nice looking though

Okay, so far this E3 we've had:

New MGS 4 footage
New Mario footage
Heavenly Sword
A new Yoshi's Island game
FF XIII
A new Star Fox title
An upgraded Zelda (with a version choice to boot)
New IPs (in our franchise driven industry?!) for the coming 18 months
New Sonic
New Metroid
Ouedan translated

And we've still got the MS conference AND playable reports to come. AND any behind doors reports on new games.

And people are STILL complaining that it isnt a good E3 so far? :lol

Wow. Better put that stick back in the draw, son - you'll never get the moon on it.

Saoh

Paradoxal_Utopia said:
NEW ZELDA TP TRAILER ON PRESS SITE!! LOOKS AMAZING

POST A LIIINKKK. MUST.SEE.NOW

again, Nintendo could have blown everyone ayway with all this :D instead they´re blowing ME away over here

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
The new GCN games:

Super Paper Mario™
Format: Nintendo GameCube™
Launch Date: Q4 2006
ESRB: RP (Rating Pending)
Game Type: 2-D/3-D Sidescrolling Platformer with Role-Playing Elements
Players: 1
Developer: Intelligent Systems

KEY INFORMATION: The newest chapter of the Paper Mario story isn’t just out of this world … it’s out of this dimension.
• What at first glance appears to be a 2-D sidescroller ripped straight from the pages of the Paper Mario universe soon turns into a 3-D action-adventure that defies all video game logic. Fusing 2-D and 3-D perspectives, not to mention RPG and platformer elements, the game slips back and forth between dimensions. The action sprawls across eight worlds filled with traps, puzzles, bizarre mysteries and items that often draw themselves out of thin air.
• Oh, and just because Mario’s in the title doesn’t mean he’s the only star – players also get to play as Peach and Bowser.

Donkey Kong Bongo Blast
Game Type: Airborne Racing Action
Accessories: DK Bongos Controller
Players: 1-4
Developer: Paon

KEY INFORMATION: • Donkey Kong® and his pals have gotten their mitts on some high-powered Barrel Jets – incredible engines that boost when struck by a pilot. By beating on the DK Bongos controller, players can make their character swoop up, bank side to side and launch attacks on rivals. (The game also can be played using a Nintendo GameCube controller.)
• Players challenge the Kremlings or up to three pals on five worlds, each boasting 3-D aerial maps filled with countless obstacles and powerful items. With four people beating the bongos as they battle for the skies, this game is more party than race.

Deku

Banned
I didn't know the nun-chuk attachment had a sensor of its own, i though it was just an analog attachment with extra buttons. 2 indepentent sensors one of each hand is going to make a lot more sense in terms of control.

Am I the only one sort of dissapointed with them using Zelda to demo the controller?
It just seems that they should have been showing a game with the gamplay designed around that controller instead of some akward control scheme shoe-horned into the new Zelda.

I really would have liked to have seen them playing Mario instead, and why are we still locking on to things with this poiting controller?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Not a bad conference...

Their message was strong, but the products backing it up weren't (just yet). Mario Universe was an exception, of course, but most of it didn't seem all that interesting (with or without the control scheme). A lot of very familiar looking content, basically.

Visuals DO matter when you look at the whole picture. It's a visual medium and great games are made from many elements with visuals being one of those elements. The entire experience something delivers is what I'm most interested in these days.

The fact that they held up a bunch of DS titles that I don't care for as proof of what they are trying to do with Wii didn't help their cause either. :\

Not excited, really, but I'm not putting it off either.

quetz67

Banned
I will sure have a lot of fun with wii where graphics do not matter. But Zelda TP graphics will look dated end of 2006, they'd better had it made for Wii with upgraded graphics.

The worst thing is, I sooo wished the artists at Retro had the graphics power of next gen to make MP3, the talent + the tech would have been awesome.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Other DS highlights:

Mega Man ZX - September 2006
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney 2 - October 2006
Harvest Moon DS - June 2006
Winning Eleven Pro Evolution Soccer - Spring 2007
Final Fantasy III - September 2006
Dragon Quest Heroes - Rocket Slime - September 2006
SNK vs Capcom: Card Fighters Clash - October 2006
Rayman - November 2006

Polari

alr1ghtstart said:

Oh wow. I don't know about the rest of you, but this is my most anticipated Mario title. Of course, it will sell all of ten copies, but all ten purchasers are going to be very, very happy. :)

SickBoy

jj984jj said:
The new GCN games:

Super Paper Mario™
Game Type: 2-D/3-D Sidescrolling Platformer with Role-Playing Elements
Players: 1
Developer: Intelligent Systems

KEY INFORMATION: The newest chapter of the Paper Mario story isn’t just out of this world … it’s out of this dimension.
• What at first glance appears to be a 2-D sidescroller ripped straight from the pages of the Paper Mario universe soon turns into a 3-D action-adventure that defies all video game logic. Fusing 2-D and 3-D perspectives, not to mention RPG and platformer elements, the game slips back and forth between dimensions. The action sprawls across eight worlds filled with traps, puzzles, bizarre mysteries and items that often draw themselves out of thin air.
• Oh, and just because Mario’s in the title doesn’t mean he’s the only star – players also get to play as Peach and Bowser.

Donkey Kong Bongo Blast
Game Type: Airborne Racing Action
Accessories: DK Bongos Controller
Players: 1-4
Developer: Paon

KEY INFORMATION: • Donkey Kong® and his pals have gotten their mitts on some high-powered Barrel Jets – incredible engines that boost when struck by a pilot. By beating on the DK Bongos controller, players can make their character swoop up, bank side to side and launch attacks on rivals. (The game also can be played using a Nintendo GameCube controller.)
• Players challenge the Kremlings or up to three pals on five worlds, each boasting 3-D aerial maps filled with countless obstacles and powerful items. With four people beating the bongos as they battle for the skies, this game is more party than race.

Nice to see something else coming out to use the bongo controllers. Hopefully it's as much fun as Jungle Beat.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Swordian said:
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney 2 (DS) October 2006. From the upcoming DS games list.
hell yeah :D

god im so glad i'm graduating next year. i'm going to need a job to buy all these games :p

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
I'm much more excited about the stuff Nintendo showed/didn't show that isn't part of the Wii lineup. Yoshi's Island 2, Super Paper Mario, StarFox DS, Phoenix Wright 2, Kirby. FUCKIN' AWESOME.

RSP

My first reaction during the event; cool, but not -that- cool.

My second reaction on the end of the event; this could actually be very cool

My third reaction while watching some "clean" footage; HOLY SHIT I WANT THIS!

Timbuktu

yeah... I think the conference was just to deliver a message, a taster, not to spell out how all the games play and all the info and for that i think it did its job. Did anyone know if the reel showed all the 27 playable games?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i don't care about wii, and i'm still pretty happy with nintendo's conference. i'm pleasantly surprised that there's still a gc version of twilight princess. super paper mario looks SUPER HOT. starfox, mario vs dk, and OMGWTF YOSHI'S ISLAND 2 on ds. better gc/ds lineup than last year's, really.

jarosh

holy mother. why was all this beautiful stuff not in the conference.

check out the super paper mario video guys. wow

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The worst thing is, I sooo wished the artists at Retro had the graphics power of next gen to make MP3, the talent + the tech would have been awesome.
I'm really agreeing with that...

MP3 looks just like the other two, which is fine to a degree, but those games were about the EXPERIENCE and feeling of exploring those environments and putting together a massive world. It was incredible and I feel it would benefit MUCH more from the power of a machine like the PS3 than the unique control scheme of the Wii (which seems like it could place MORE emphasis on the "FPS" elements...which is exactly what I DON'T want).

4:3 Wii games. :(
I think a lot of their demos today were 16:9, however. Zelda, for instance, seemed to be 16:9. That's a good sign.

Though, it was kind of funny that GS's stream of the conference was in 4:3 while their stream of Sony's was 16:9. :p

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Some of you have lost your mind. Mario Galaxy is nowhere NEAR Mario Sunshine graphics and is closer to Kameo's graphics than anything. Metroid looks a lot better than the Gamecube games also. This will become abundantly clear as direct feed becomes available.

EDIT: Eating words on Metroid. That enemy looks WORSE than prime.

In the trailer of Super Paper Mario there's always a pointer on screen.
Does this mean it's also coming to the Wii?

Btw, it look really fun! :D

JCX

Not a single screenshot of Super Smash bros? I hope Nintendo didn't divert assets for that to zelda or mario because I honestly like mah bros more than any zelda game or mario platormer.

Top Bottom