• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 2006 Conference Thread (start at reply ~#1300)

I don't give a shit about the graphics, but I'm disappointed by

-Metroid as 'run and gun' FPS
-Red Steel as slow and lame looking
-No Smash Bros
-Limited Mario
-Giant amount of space required for Tennis
-Lack of third party support (don't tell me it was simply because it was a short conference, because they managed to find time for SpongeBob. Was there nothing better to be displayed?)
-No virtual console
-no shell

I'm worried that Wii is going to have a great launch but a trickle of games for a while after that. We'll see, I guess. I'm getting one day one.

What they did show was absolutely amazing (except for Red Steel), I just wish there was more. Maybe in the next few days.

AdmiralViscen said:

-No Smash Bros
-Limited Mario
-Lack of third party support (don't tell me it was simply because it was a short conference, because they managed to find time for SpongeBob. Was there nothing better to be displayed?)

I'm worried that Wii is going to have a great launch but a trickle of games for a while after that. We'll see, I guess. I'm getting one day one.

If you read the hands on report at IGN you will find that you can just use small flicks of the wrist to play the game or giant swings, its upto the player. So you can play like a madman or like a normal person its up to you..

Aurora

AdmiralViscen said:

-No Smash Bros
-Limited Mario

Some good points raised there, I think I agree with all of them.

I was also very disappointed with the absence of Pokémon Diamond/Pearl. I mean they ARE released this year!!

lawnjam

eba04.jpg

Yes, yes I am :lol

ant1532

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:

-No Smash Bros
-Limited Mario

- Retro confirmed it wont be just a run and gun and will have more puzzling aspects and adventure than first games
-Giant amount of space isnt need for Tennis, they were just crasy.
-http://press.nintendo.com/e32k6/Wii/FACT_Upcoming_Games_Wii_FINAL.pdf

Krowley

this is gonna be a longish post, but i feel i need to get it all on the record.

i watched the whole conference live and didn't touch this thread again until it was over.. at that point i started reading, and finally i've caught up. It was very interesting to see the diverse reactions. Some people still expected holograms or something and they were disapointed, even furious... Others thought the graphics were meh, but were still impressed with the gameplay, and others were just blown away.

I fall into the third camp.

I was actually even blown away by the tennis game. I think the sports title is a genius idea because it DOESN'T use any of nintendo's characters. That's why it will appeal to non gamers. They aren't playing mario, they're just playing a generic tennis game. There are no real kiddy overtones, it's just a fun comedic, generic looking title.. PERFECT.

I'm glad to see that i was right about twilight princess. Nintendo would have been stupid not to leverage it as a real revolution game. It's an instant killer app right out of the gates. Sales will be absurd. I can't wait to see some good direct feed footage of it, because it's hard to judge graphics in these crappy conference feeds.

Mario looks next gen to me and it looks incredibly fun. I'm very intrigued by it.. My only disapointment with the conference was that it was not focused on. I wanted to see more of it and understand how it plays. It's the best looking game shown.

Red steel looked a little weak , but part of that was the motion artifacts caused by the compression of the feed. It looks 100 percent better in the IGN videos and the turning speed doesn't appear to be a problem there. the only awkward thing about it is how the hand animates... It tries to accomidate the players motions and sometimes it ends up looking unatural, it also doesn't follow the aiming cursor in real time, there is a slight delay. If you watch the videos closley you will see that the cursor is moving very snappy, but the hand can't keep up. The destructable environments are very cool and the textures are way beyond anything on cube.. This game also looks next gen to me and i think it looks as good in motion as it does in scans.

Metroid was a little bit samey. I expected a bigger jump from metroid, but the first one is my favorite game of all time so obviously i'm not gonna complain too much. Reading the fact sheet gives a sense that the game will have massive scale. I want to see direct feed footage of it. Red steel proved to look a lot better in direct feeds and metroid might be the same. I'm sure the gameplay is awesome.

Sonic looks amazing. It looks just as fun as the ps3/360 game to me, and i'm one of the few that really loves the way that one looks and sounds. There are some other third party titles that i'm intrigued by and i can't wait to find out how they play. Even crap games are intriguing on this system. It reminds me of when i first got my genesis and entered the 16 bit era. Everything was just insanley fun at first, simply due to the novelty of the new graphics and new franchises.

One thing clever about the marketing is that most of the people playing games in the videos are adults or at least older teens. It's a subtle way of shedding the kiddy image. Even the mario footage shows an adult couple lounging on the couch, having fun. The message is "you don't have to be a kid to enjoy Mario". I think it works.

Reggie was awesome. the whole structure of the conference was awesome.. and then the conference ends, and we start finding all these game announements on the press website. The paper mario game is amazing and then there is mention of a mysterious RE game?

Nobody will have as many FUN games on the showfloor this year. Graphics are awesome and all that, but crap like genji for ps3 can't compare to zelda, mario and metroid, no matter how much better it looks. Nintendo makes great games, and even if the graphics aren't up to par, it's tough to compete with them when they really bring it.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
AdmiralViscen said:

-no shell

Did you miss this?

a374d1da.jpg

[EDIT:] Also, as for third party support, did you miss this too?

Danthrax said:
NINTENDO Wii GAMES

Activision
Tony Hawk’s Downhill
Marvel™: Ultimate Alliance
Call of Duty® 3

AQ Interactive
Boxing Action

Atari
Dragon Ball Z Budokai: Tenkaichi 2

Atlus
Trauma Center: Second Opinion

BANPRESTO
Family Action Game

Buena Vista Games
Disney’s Chicken Little: Ace in Action
Disney’s Meet the Robinsons

Capcom
Resident Evil series

D3Publisher
SIMPLE series
Original Action Game

Eidos
Title TBD

Electronic Arts
Madden NFL ’07
Medal of Honor Airborne

EPOCH
Title TBD

From Software
Action Game

Genki
Title TBD

HUDSON SOFT
BOMBERMAN LAND
Flight Game

JALECO
Title TBD

KOEI
Sengoku Action

Konami Digital Entertainment
Elebits
Soccer Game

Majesco
Bust-A-Move Revolution

Marvelous Interactive
BOKUJO MONOGATARI
Heroes
KAWA NO NUSHITSURI
Original Simulation

Mastiff
Mr. D. Goes to Town (working title)

Midway Games
The Ant Bully
Happy Feet

MILESTONE
New Vertical Scroll Shooting Game
New Action Game

MTO
Character Action Game
SAN-X All-star Revolution

NAMCO BANDAI Games
FINAL FURLONG
Mobile Suit GUNDAM
SD GUNDAM G BREAKER
DIGIMON
ONE PIECE UNLIMITED ADVENTURE
New Action Game
New RPG
TAMAGOTCHI
Title TBD

Natsume (developed by Marvelous)
Harvest Moon

Nintendo
Disaster: Day of Crisis™
Excite Truck™
Fire Emblem™
Metroid® Prime 3: Corruption
Project H.A.M.M.E.R. ™
Super Mario® Galaxy
The Legend of Zelda®: Twilight Princess
WarioWare™: Smooth Moves
Wii Sports

SEGA
Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz
SONIC WILD FIRE

SNK
Metal Slug Anthology

Spike
Necro-Nesia
Jawa

SQUARE ENIX
CODENAME: FINAL FANTASY® CRYSTAL CHRONICLES: Crystal Bearers™
DRAGON QUEST SWORDS™: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors

TAITO
Turn IT around!!
Let’s go by train!
Cooking Mama -Cooking with International Friends-

TECMO
Super Swing Golf PANGYA

The Game Factory
Title TBD

THQ
SpongeBob SquarePants:
Creature from the Krusty Krab
Disney/Pixar Cars

TOMY
Action Game
Battle Action

Ubisoft
Open Season
Rayman Raving Rabbids
RED STEEL

Vivendi Universal Games
Title TBD

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
Title TBD

Oh wait a minute, I forgot NO NEW GENRES OR TRULY INNOVATIVE GAMEPLAY. I wanted to see some crazy shit going on, and instead I got Wii adaptations of the same old typical stuff. Looks intuitive, but I want new experiences on the Wii.

It's funny how everyone expected Wii to be home to nothing but quickie games and gimmicks, and instead we got nothing but deep, normal games with nothing silly or fresh.

Edit: and yes, I did miss that. I watche dthe conference live, then packed up some shit in my dorm, then I came back and started reading from about 10 pages back in this thread. Thanks.

looking good for the wii ... /but/ looking at the line up, where is the appeal to the non-gamer nintendo is parading around? yeah HAMMER and disaster all look interesting but where's the appeal to the non-gamer that supposed to be attracted to this? granted Tennis is a good start, but i don't see anything equivalent to nintendogs or braintraining that'd or anything that'd get my mom interested in this. ... i know this is the start up lineup and more has yet to be seen but its looking kind of thin in regards to nintendo's strategy

[/2 cents]

Batongen

Banned
I finally caught up with this thread, I have read almost every single page :lol
Good show by Nintendo.. please let Mario be a launch title.

Just got done watching the conference. Overall I thought it was good; it was much more interesting than Sony's. But, the lack of details on various things really annoyed me. The Virtual Console wasn't mentioned, and they didn't go into any WiFi details. This was the chance for them to reveal that info; Sony did a good job last night detailing their online plan. Also, no SSBM? Little third party support. Oy.

On the game front, there were hits and misses. Mario looked fun; it looks like a sandbox game, and I'd love to see what else there is to it. It didn't blow me away at all. I need to see more.

Zelda looked utterly amazing. I'm thinking about just getting it with the Revolution XD. The graphics were great, but more importantly the gameplay looks steller. Shooting the bow looks sweeeet. Also, swinging the sword! OMG!

Red Steel looked great. The first stuff they showed was meh, but then they showed an outside area where cars were being blown up with machine guns and crap. OH SNAPS. This will be mine. The game just sounds so amazing. The demo Ubisoft went through was just amazing.

Project Hammer looks interesting. It looks like a futuristic hack and slash, so it could be shallow...but I want to swing my arm around!

Heck, even freaking Spongebob didn't look bad!:lol

Excitetruckers looked meh to me control wise. I was also somwhat underwhelmed by Metroid Prime 3. It looked good, but not nearly as advanced as I thought it would be. It looks like Retro still has a lot to work on, since the game won't be out till 2007. I'm sure it will look better tomorrow when full videos of people playing it are shown.

The sports titles Nintendo showed clearly need work, but they looked promising.

I'm still wondering about the third party support. Nothing from Capcom was shown, which is strange. We'll see. And Kojima's game was a no show. That other Konami game looked stupid.

The DS stuff looked amazing. Freaking Kirby FTW...out of nowhere! Oh man it looks amazing. And StarFox! I know it's going to rock, and be online. Even if it was an advanced port of StarFox 64 I'd be happy.

Overall, it was a good presentation. I didn't see a new megaton, but it was still good. But, Zelda looks like a true megaton, which I expected. Oh my

kablooey

Oh, I'm loving that retro controller design. It'll work perfectly for the NES/SNES/Genesis games. For N64/GC games you can just use a GC controller.

lancubap

Krowley said:
this is gonna be a longish post, but i feel i need to get it all on the record.

i watched the whole conference live and didn't touch this thread again until it was over.. at that point i started reading, and finally i've caught up. It was very interesting to see the diverse reactions. Some people still expected holograms or something and they were disapointed, even furious... Others thought the graphics were meh, but were still impressed with the gameplay, and others were just blown away.

I fall into the third camp.

I was actually even blown away by the tennis game. I think the sports title is a genius idea because it DOESN'T use any of nintendo's characters. That's why it will appeal to non gamers. They aren't playing mario, they're just playing a generic tennis game. There are no real kiddy overtones, it's just a fun comedic, generic looking title.. PERFECT.

I'm glad to see that i was right about twilight princess. Nintendo would have been stupid not to leverage it as a real revolution game. It's an instant killer app right out of the gates. Sales will be absurd. I can't wait to see some good direct feed footage of it, because it's hard to judge graphics in these crappy conference feeds.

Mario looks next gen to me and it looks incredibly fun. I'm very intrigued by it.. My only disapointment with the conference was that it was not focused on. I wanted to see more of it and understand how it plays. It's the best looking game shown.

Red steel looked a little weak , but part of that was the motion artifacts caused by the compression of the feed. It looks 100 percent better in the IGN videos and the turning speed doesn't appear to be a problem there. the only awkward thing about it is how the hand animates... It tries to accomidate the players motions and sometimes it ends up looking unatural, it also doesn't follow the aiming cursor in real time, there is a slight delay. If you watch the videos closley you will see that the cursor is moving very snappy, but the hand can't keep up. The destructable environments are very cool and the textures are way beyond anything on cube.. This game also looks next gen to me and i think it looks as good in motion as it does in scans.

Metroid was a little bit samey. I expected a bigger jump from metroid, but the first one is my favorite game of all time so obviously i'm not gonna complain too much. Reading the fact sheet gives a sense that the game will have massive scale. I want to see direct feed footage of it. Red steel proved to look a lot better in direct feeds and metroid might be the same. I'm sure the gameplay is awesome.

Sonic looks amazing. It looks just as fun as the ps3/360 game to me, and i'm one of the few that really loves the way that one looks and sounds. There are some other third party titles that i'm intrigued by and i can't wait to find out how they play. Even crap games are intriguing on this system. It reminds me of when i first got my genesis and entered the 16 bit era. Everything was just insanley fun at first, simply due to the novelty of the new graphics and new franchises.

One thing clever about the marketing is that most of the people playing games in the videos are adults or at least older teens. It's a subtle way of shedding the kiddy image. Even the mario footage shows an adult couple lounging on the couch, having fun. The message is "you don't have to be a kid to enjoy Mario". I think it works.

Reggie was awesome. the whole structure of the conference was awesome.. and then the conference ends, and we start finding all these game announements on the press website. The paper mario game is amazing and then there is mention of a mysterious RE game?

Nobody will have as many FUN games on the showfloor this year. Graphics are awesome and all that, but crap like genji for ps3 can't compare to zelda, mario and metroid, no matter how much better it looks. Nintendo makes great games, and even if the graphics aren't up to par, it's tough to compete with them when they really bring it.

There is nothing else to say: you made a PERFECT POST. This is exactly what I think.

The only thing I want right now, is see the Conference in High Resolution again.

lancubap

PhoenixDark said:
Just got done watching the conference. Overall I thought it was good; it was much more interesting than Sony's. But, the lack of details on various things really annoyed me. The Virtual Console wasn't mentioned, and they didn't go into any WiFi details. This was the chance for them to reveal that info; Sony did a good job last night detailing their online plan. Also, no SSBM? Little third party support. Oy.

On the game front, there were hits and misses. Mario looked fun; it looks like a sandbox game, and I'd love to see what else there is to it. It didn't blow me away at all. I need to see more.

Zelda looked utterly amazing. I'm thinking about just getting it with the Revolution XD. The graphics were great, but more importantly the gameplay looks steller. Shooting the bow looks sweeeet. Also, swinging the sword! OMG!

Red Steel looked great. The first stuff they showed was meh, but then they showed an outside area where cars were being blown up with machine guns and crap. OH SNAPS. This will be mine. The game just sounds so amazing. The demo Ubisoft went through was just amazing.

Project Hammer looks interesting. It looks like a futuristic hack and slash, so it could be shallow...but I want to swing my arm around!

Excitetruckers looked meh to me control wise. I was also somwhat underwhelmed by Metroid Prime 3. It looked good, but not nearly as advanced as I thought it would be. It looks like Retro still has a lot to work on, since the game won't be out till 2007. I'm sure it will look better tomorrow when full videos of people playing it are shown.

I'm still wondering about the third party support. Nothing from Capcom was shown, which is strange. We'll see. And Kojima's game was a no show. That other Konami game looked stupid.

The DS stuff looked amazing. Freaking Kirby FTW...out of nowhere! Oh man it looks amazing. And StarFox! I know it's going to rock, and be online. Even if it was an advanced port of StarFox 64 I'd be happy.

Overall, it was a good presentation. I didn't see a new megaton, but it was still good. But, Zelda looks like a true megaton, which I expected. Oh my

I think that even your post is quite what I think. I have nothing more to say that: I agree with you !!!

The second press video has some funny moments that were not shown:

1.man curled up into a ball and jumping to make morphball samus jump.

2.Japanese boy bending over upside down to control an unside down Link as he uses those magnetic boots.

bachikarn

Aurora said:
Some good points raised there, I think I agree with all of them.

I was also very disappointed with the absence of Pokémon Diamond/Pearl. I mean they ARE released this year!!

People have mentioned before they only reveal real Pokemon info in some mag. The newest copy is coming out next week and supposidly has D/P info.

About Oendan, is this a different game? I've thought I heard it was more like a sequal/expansion then the one released in Japan or am I just dreaming?

Overall I enjoyed the conference and the post conference info rush.

I'm looking foward to so many things now. Super Paper Mario, 2 different Zeldas (1 for Wii and 1 for Ds), Metroid, Pokemon, Sonic the list goes on and on and on.

I am however disapointed that they didn't reveal price and launch date expecations. I screamed "no" when Reg said that they where holding onto that info for awile longer.

I want to know asap so I know how much to save up ahead of time and how long I have to save it. I'm sick of basiclly guessing in the dark and I want to make 100% sure I have enough to pick up the Wii on launch with Zelda and maybe a second game depending on what's out when it comes out.

Stop holding out on me Nintendo.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I hope WiiSports is only 30-40 dollars at most. It's not a graphical powerhouse (even by Wii standards) and it would be a great showcase game for your friends who have never played a videogame before.

Calidor said:
thanks

wtf it's a direct port of the N64 version :/

Have you played the N64 version lately? The fact that moved at a good framerate is reason enough for it's existance.

I loved DKR. So happy it's coming back on DS.

PhoenixDark said:

My hero.

Jiggy

+3 for DS' greatness in general
+3 for Yoshi's Island 2
+2 for Fire Emblem
+2 for Kirby DS (real Kirby again)
+2 for Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess superiority on Wii
+2 for Magical Vacation 2 US release
+2 for Mario Galaxy
+2 for Star Fox DS (real Star Fox again)
+2 for Super Paper Mario
+1 for Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
+1 for Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon US release date
+1 for Pokemon Ranger US release
+1 for SNES-style controller
+0.5 for cute females in the many Wii pictures

+3 for all of the games above probably costing $170 less combined than a PS3

-1.5 for no Pokemon Diamond/Pearl (yes, I know, the CoroCoro tradition)
-1.5 for no Smash Bros.
-1 for no Mother 3 US release
-1 for no Wii system price

So, uh... yeah, 22.5/10, I guess. That's just a lot of awesomeness. I mean, really.

And Diddy Kong Racing gets honorable mention--I actually liked that game more than every Mario Kart other than MKDS--but it's still a port.

dkeane

Archie said:
I hope WiiSports is only 30-40 dollars at most. It's not a graphical powerhouse (even by Wii standards) and it would be a great showcase game for your friends who have never played a videogame before.
I think they should just pack it in at launch. The games look like fun, even though they aren't mind blowing graphically.

Aurora

Krowley = brilliant post.

Same with you PD :p

I'd just like to echoe my disappointment at the absence of SSB... is there a chance it will be shown on the showfloor in the next few days?

And also, where the hell is my Pokémon D/P? These games are supposed to be coming out this year - at least in Japan - and we all know how megaton it's going to be.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
colinp said:
woops, sorry ;)

Why do they use two sticks?! I don't get it. What game requires two sticks?!
Right stick becomes the c-buttons on N64 games.

Aurora said:
Krowley = brilliant post.

Same with you PD :p

I'd just like to echoe my disappointment at the absence of SSB... is there a chance it will be shown on the showfloor in the next few days?

And also, where the hell is my Pokémon D/P? These games are supposed to be coming out this year - at least in Japan - and we all know how megaton it's going to be.
SSBM = 2007 (and I'm guessing November 2007) so I'm not surprised it's not there.

It was mentioned a while ago that Pokemon is never debuted at E3. Expect the debut this summer.

kablooey

So what do you guys think they're gonna do about the price? My guess is they were ready to reveal it at $199, but after witnessing Sony's bombshell, decided they might be able to add in a bit more and sell it at $249.

ShutEye

I too was expecting more experimental games, esp. aimed at more diverse audiences.

Where is Cooking: the Game. Where is Wii-mote Resistance training: Saving your Brittle Old Bones. Where is Toddlers' Lego: Your Child Cannot Choke Now. or Fishing with Grandpa, or Waiter Training, or Hack through the Jungle, or some sort of RTS

Where the hell is PUNCH OUT!

I would have loved to see a crazier lineup of games, aimed more at new audiences. Maybe next year.

Also, Super Paper Mario is the GOTS ;)

Aurora

Fuzzy said:
Right stick becomes the c-buttons on N64 games.

SSBM = 2007 (and I'm guessing November 2007) so I'm not surprised it's not there.

It was mentioned a while ago that Pokemon is never debuted at E3. Expect the debut this summer.

Ahh right, thank you.

That's a shame :(

Saoh

kablooey said:
So what do you guys think they're gonna do about the price? My guess is they were ready to reveal it at $199, but after witnessing Sony's bombshell, decided they might be able to add in a bit more and sell it at $249.

i think $250. i mean, after yesterday, $250 seems quite cheap.

Deku

Banned
If they include at least 2 controllers and 2 sets of nunchucks, 250 is reasonable, especially considering the nunchucks have a tilt sensing device built in too. Probably the biggest surprise today is that piece of imformation.

kablooey

Well, if it's $250, do you think there'll be any additions/pack-ins, or will it just be a bare bones package? $250 with a second remote and perhaps a Tennis pack-in would be quite nice, I'd think. Wishful thinking perhaps.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Saoh said:
Unless MS drops the price of the 360 later this year.

I really hope the Wii is not more than $200 US.

ndreamer

does any one know where i can download the full confrence. gamespot is running like a bitch.
ign split the dam thing up in to trailers. agh.

Saoh said:

I sure as hell hope not. Granted, I don't have any "proof" I just sure as hell hope it's less than $200. Sony and MS may have set the bar high, even for gamers, but remember - this has to appeal to gamers and non-gamers alike.

Memles

I'm thinking that we'll see an October Launch with Zelda, ExciteTruck, Red Steel, Wario Ware, Nintendo Sports and then Mario will following on or aroun November 17th, along with a few other higher-profile titles.

PC Gaijin

Very impressed. I'm relieved that the Wii games aren't quite as "out there" as I expected. I honestly dreaded seeing a bunch of very gimmick-heavy games with little substance. Most excited about Super Mario Galaxy and of course TP, both look terrific. The DS lineup just continues to blow me away though. I've been browsing the Nintendo media site and damn but those DS games are shit hot. Yoshi's Island 2, New Super Mario Bros., Star Fox DS, Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2, Kirby, Final Fantasy III, Children of Mana...I'm in heaven. Especially as a big 2D platformer fan, seeing YI2 along with New SMB and MvDK2 made my day. And after the ridiculous FFXIII stuff from SE's conference, FFIII is just beautiful. The retro controller is icing on the cake, it looks very nice. Can't wait to use it (or perhaps a GC controller) on some old N64 favorites in the Virtual Console (I was never a fan of the N64 pad).

Only concern now is the pricing. I really, really hope Nintendo comes in under $200 and that the PS3 pricing doesn't encourage them to sell it for $250 or $300. I'm still somewhat in shock over the PS3's price, but the thought of getting a Wii, DS Lite, and a bunch of games for what it would cost to buy just the PS3 console will probably pull me over to the Nintendo camp next gen.

Top Bottom