• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 2006 Conference Thread (start at reply ~#1300)

Nick

IMG_7986.jpg

Nice golfers hat, hippie.

effzee

so um they said 27 games....where are they or am i not counting them right?

where is this supposed star wars game?

is rayman 4 playable?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
effzee said:
so um they said 27 games....where are they or am i not counting them right?

where is this supposed star wars game?

is rayman 4 playable?
Wii titles:

Remote Pointer Demo: Table Tennis
Remote Pointer Demo: Obstacle Course
Remote Pointer Demo: Shooting
Wii Sports: Tennis
Wii Sports: Golf
Wii Sports: Airplane
Wii Sports: Baseball
Wii Music: Orchestra
Wario Ware Smooth Move
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Super Mario Galaxy
Excite Truck
Project H.A.M.M.E.R.
Red Steel
(Activision) Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam
(EA) Madden NFL 07
(Hudson) Bombermanland
(Konami) Elebits
(Namco) One Piece
(Namco) SD Gundam
(Namco) Final Furlong
(Namco) Dragonball Z Budokia Tenkaichi Z
(Sega) Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
(Sega) Sonic Wild Fire
(Spike) Necro Nesia
(THQ) Spongebob Squarepants

Virtual console games:

Bonk
Super Mario World
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Bros
Sonic the Hedgehog
http://www.n-sider.com/newsview.php?type=story&storyid=2099

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader
SMASH BROTHERS BRAWL (official title)

playable characters:
SNAKE
PIT
META-KNIGHT
ZERO SUIT SAMUS

edit:fixed, sorry ... was smoking sheesha at the time... LITTLE HAZY

Jiggy

Sweedishrodeo said:
SMASH BROTHERS BRAWL (official title)

playable characters:
SNAKE
KID
META-KNIGHT
ZERO SUIT SAMUS
Woooo, two of my top choices included. :D

...Who are Snake and Kid, though?

Edit: Never mind, saw the other thread. I'm guessing by Kid you mean Pit from Kid Icarus, and Snake is--of MGS fame. :O Astounding...

fatty

MrPing1000 said:
I still find it amusing how they barely told us a thing in the conference :lol

That's what I'm wondering, too. What do they have to gain by mentioning Smash Bros. Brawl when they did? To me it seems it would of been better to do it yesterday.

Phranky

Banned
I didn't know where else to vent my anger at Sony, so I decided to do it here.

I was speaking to someone today who lives in the flat below me and we got talking about E3 and the recent announcements. Naturally, I mentioned the Sony fuckup with the price which didn't seem to faze him... then I dropped in the news about the PS3 controller not having rumble and he was all like "No way!" and I said "way..." (sorry). Anyway, he looked at me with a big grin on his face and said "what about that tilt control?" as if it was another one of Sony's 'fantastic innovations'. I swear to god if Sony gets the credit for the implementation of motion controls in consoles, my wiitard rage will know no bounds.

The guy seems to be living 5 years in the era when Sony could do no wrong and Nintendo seemed to be on the brink of death. He completely dismissed Nintendo and was completely oblivious to everything that's happened... I've become so used to getting all the news from the internet that I completely forgot that people like this existed. Where do I start with someone like this?

UPDATE: Snake in supersmash bros brawl! HOLY SHIT!! Forget everything I've just said.

Vormund

Phranky said:
I've become so used to getting all the news from the internet that I completely forgot that people like this existed. Where do I start with someone like this?

Tell him that it's cool to eat a bullet! Snake did it! SONY FTW

Deku

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
It's like a PlayStation controller, minus the handles. Handles are good.

The PS controller was like a superfami controller w/ the handles. LOL. It has come full circle.

Anyway, he looked at me with a big grin on his face and said "what about that tilt control?

BTW, from the sound of it, it looks like Sony only managed to copy the tilt functionality of the nunchuck attachment and not the actually wiimote itself.

I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, but Nintendo's secretive unveiling of its controller appear to have confused and scared Sony enough to the point of having them fuck up their controller design. If the lack of rumble feature doesn't hurt them with the die hards, it will inevitably hurt them through the backdoor when people start comparing PS3 games not with Wii games but with 360 games which do have a rumble features.

Random questiion: If DQ Swords is supposed to be a launch title, shouldn't it be playable at E3? At the very least, Squenix should have released actual gameplay footage. Somehow, I doubt that the game will ship this year.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Father_Brain said:
Random questiion: If DQ Swords is supposed to be a launch title, shouldn't it be playable at E3? At the very least, Squenix should have released actual gameplay footage. Somehow, I doubt that the game will ship this year.
It could be a Japanese launch title and later for North America.

jgkspsx

You know, there wasn't so much as a peep about F-Zero at this one. Is the series finally dead? It would be nice to have a decent, fully-polygonal futuristic racer on the DS, after all.

SumGamer said:
Do we have any hands-on on Elebits and One Piece yet?

http://e3.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3150661

What is it: Elebits uses the Wii-mote and Nunchuk add-on to let players run around a house trying to capture red and green creatures. The nunchuk moves the player, while the Wii-mote controls the target reticule and fires a Half-Life style gravity gun. The gun can be used to pick up and throw furniture around, breaking it open to expose more Elebits. Power ups are scattered through the level, offering abilities like homing lasers. Outside the kitchen area is a garden, where basketballs can be shot into hoops, houses can be tossed around the neighborhood, and other items can be manipulated with the gun.

What we like:The gravity gun is a lot of fun to use, especially since the environment is fully interactive.

What we don't like: The targeting felt really loose, and hard to aim. Small wrist motions caused the target reticule to go wild, requiring us to have to back up the character to recenter the view.

:(

SumGamer

Sounds like an Oops.. thanks for preview. Hope they polish the game before it come out. I really like the idea of the game, very unique.

Jiggy

jgkspsx said:
You know, there wasn't so much as a peep about F-Zero at this one. Is the series finally dead?
I doubt it. We might have seen the last of the SNES-style F-Zero games (and I kind of hope so considering they've been growing increasingly less relevant), but F-Zero X and GX did pretty well sales-wise... Not as well as deserved, granted, but still pretty well.

Synbios459 said:
Do you guys think there'll be very many people buying the GC and the Wii version of Zelda?
No. Unless I've missed something, there's absolutely no reason to get the GC version; worse graphics, less options for controls, and probably the same price.

Edit: Argh. No reason to get the GC version if a person has a Wii.

Just curious, but how would you think would be a good solution to turning the camera instead of having to point the Wiimote the corners as they should in RS?

Deku said:
The PS controller was like a superfami controller w/ the handles. LOL. It has come full circle.
Yeah, but handles are a great improvement. So much nicer to hold, and makes shoulder buttons more comfortable to use. Without handles my index fingers want to rest on the back of the controller instead of the top, for a better grip. This has been a necessary evil for portable systems, but it's quite a bummer for a new first-party console controller.

Father_Brain said:
Do we know it wasn't gameplay footage?

jgkspsx said:
You know, there wasn't so much as a peep about F-Zero at this one. Is the series finally dead? It would be nice to have a decent, fully-polygonal futuristic racer on the DS, after all.
We can't expect to hear about every single franchise right off the bat.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Yeah, but handles are a great improvement. So much nicer to hold, and makes shoulder buttons more comfortable to use. Without handles my index fingers want to rest on the back of the controller instead of the top, for a better grip. This has been a necessary evil for portable systems, but it's quite a bummer for a new first-party console controller.

I half-agree with you.. i mean handle's certainly aren't bad. But the old-style controllers aren't either, it really comes down to preference. With handles you get more grip which is great, but for some reason i prefer the SNES /Saturn controllers more cause it feels more relaxed. In a game like Street Fighter for instance, i ended up moving my free fingers around a bit cause it's more hectic, which handles discourage. That said, i think if the analog sticks are in the lower position like they are on Wii's Classic pad, there might be some balance issues that handles would help with.

shibbs

Might be a stupid question but why is the classic controller connected to the remote? It's not like you can hold them both. Or is it to make it wireless?

Taker666

Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere but a UK teletext service (Game Central) mentioned that along with the lightgun shell there was also...

...a foot pedal add-on for a drum game on display.

shibbs said:
Might be a stupid question but why is the classic controller connected to the remote? It's not like you can hold them both. Or is it to make it wireless?

Nintendo really are going after the 'everyone' market segment - even 3 handed freaks!

I'm a little underwhelmed by the control of Zelda and Mario, well from reading the impressions anyway.

It seems Mario and Zelda will move just like they would with any normal analog controller, but the difference is doing gestures for actions instead of pushing buttons, pointing instead of manually controling the camera or aiming. It's probably good for aiming, just like the mouse is good for aiming in GTA on the PC, but we all hate controlling GTA with the mouse for anything else.

I expected those franchises to take advantage of the sophisticated movement technology, not just act as gesture input for moves I bet I could pull of faster and more easily with a normal controller.

Other games seems to be more simple and natural in approach, like Metroid Prime and... well that tennis game. I think this controller really can take interface far beyond what other platforms can offer, but it totally depends on the implementation.

Or maybe I just need to try it myself. I'm going to get one for sure.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Taker666 said:
Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere but a UK teletext service (Game Central) mentioned that along with the lightgun shell there was also...

and i am sold. wii will be mine.

zou

Synbios459 said:
Just curious, but how would you think would be a good solution to turning the camera instead of having to point the Wiimote the corners as they should in RS?

I actually thought they would just copy the keyboard & mouse setup: Use the nunchuck to move around (= keyboard), have the crosshair centered and "fixed" to the movement of the wiimote (= mouse with fps'). What RedSteel does is retarted as hell.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Taker666 said:

what you say??? Awesome, if true.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
The main issue i see with the control in FPS games so far is that it seems too hard/clumsy to circle strafe. And turning is too slow despite UBI's claims that it only takes 1 second to do a full rotation in red steel, which is 3x faster than other systems (mouse takes 1/4 second).

Taker666

Does anyone know if full 3d depth perception is still there with Wii?

I've heard lots about the tilt and turn and point functions and response to sudden movements in various directions but nothing in terms of being able to push and pull on-screen objects towards or away from you with exact accuracy. i noticed it's not really mentioned on Nintendo's Wii site.

I know the original trailer had the fine dentist drill movement and one of the original mini games let you zoom in and out by pushing the control slowly forward and back but I have yet to see this in action.

Top Bottom