• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Is Now Going After YouTube Accounts Which Show Its Games Being Emulated

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Soon enough..

GX_ltu8W8AADoId.jpg:large

PaintTinJr

Believe it or not, if you break the encryption on a game you are are doing something illegal. Even if you own the game.

This isn't the 90's anymore, all the platform holders encrypt their games for this specific reason.
I very much doubt that would hold in the UK or the EU, and I very much doubt Nintendo come for any UK or EU people doing emulation legally because the lawyer bully boy tactics deployed elsewhere can't work in these regions.

It is one argument with two people in UK/EU law, even if one party needs fully supported by legal aid.

As Lucas films found out, suing a prop manufacturer from the original SW film their massive legal team and money meant nothing in UK law to let the prop maker defend his right to sell the prop moulds he made for making the props because Lucas films only originally contracted to buy the props, and so the work product of the moulds and designs to make the props belonged to the prop maker.

Hunter 99

Emulation has been going on for decades,it will never stop.
stop wasting time and resources on chasing youtubers and hurry up with the switch 2 release you silly cunts.

Shadow And Bone Focus GIF by NETFLIX

Oh no.. not the poor you tubers who leech off other people's creations constantly .. not those poor souls. 😭

Oh no, not a corporate bootlicker who thinks a mult billion dollar corporation cares about them. Absolutlely no excuse for Nintendo's behavior. The don't have a legal leg to stand on in most of these cases but they know that their targets don't have they money to fight them in court. If their CEO had a sac he would try this with a big company. Heck, Apple is allowing emulation now. Why doesn't Nintendo try suing them and see how it goes?!?

Last edited:

Three

Batman Facepalm GIF by WE tv

This is the crap that got Tropical Haze in trouble and started all of this. Nintendo's legal team is ALWAYS looking for something to sue, why would you take that chance and post that?
That wasn't posted by Ryujinx was it? It would be like suing MS because somebody screenshoted a pirated movie playing on Media Player.

tkscz

it's amazing how fast I went from Nintendo fanboy to very doubtful that I'll get switch 2 due to their horrible practices.
Do what I do, I'm a fan of the developers and games. I couldn't care less about their company side and especially their legal team which seems to be on overdrive lately.
That wasn't posted by Ryujinx was it? It would be like suing MS because somebody screenshoted a pirated movie playing on Media Player.
It's ammo for them. The one thing they need more than anything is proof/evidence of pirating. This gives them leverage. That said, Nintendo didn't do to Ryujynx what they did to Tropical Haze. The way the Ryujynx devs explained it sound like Nintendo came in with an offer and not a DMCA. They had a choice in the matter and chose to close it down. Nintendo may not have had that much of a legal standing here as they did with Tropical Haze.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Oh no, not a corporate bootlicker who thinks a mult billion dollar corporation cares about them. Absolutlely no excuse for Nintendo's behavior. The don't have a legal leg to stand on in most of these cases but they know that their targets don't have they money to fight them in court. If their CEO had a sac he would try this with a big company. Heck, Apple is allowing emulation now. Why doesn't Nintendo try suing them and see how it goes?!?

drama.gif

Three

It's ammo for them. The one thing they need more than anything is proof/evidence of pirating. This gives them leverage. That said, Nintendo didn't do to Ryujynx what they did to Tropical Haze. The way the Ryujynx devs explained it sound like Nintendo came in with an offer and not a DMCA. They had a choice in the matter and chose to close it down. Nintendo may not have had that much of a legal standing here as they did with Tropical Haze.
I guess but you would hope that any judge or jury would know that somebody else using it to pirate doesn't mean the creator of said thing can be done for piracy. As much of a legal grey area as it is it would be like charging gun manufacturers for murder because of how somebody used your product/tool.

I’m not defending Nintendo, but it’s disingenuous to claim that people are primarily using Switch emulators to play games they’ve legally purchased on stronger hardware or that Nintendo isn’t losing anything because the people pirating would have never bought the games anyway. Of course there are real examples of both, but there’s also plenty of people who would be legitimate customers if they didn’t have these easy to access and well publicized alternatives.

The rom for Tears of the Kingdom was downloaded 1 million times before the game even officially released.

marquimvfs

I’m not defending Nintendo, but it’s disingenuous to claim that people are primarily using Switch emulators to play games they’ve legally purchased on stronger hardware or that Nintendo isn’t losing anything because the people pirating would have never bought the games anyway. Of course there are real examples of both, but there’s also plenty of people who would be legitimate customers if they didn’t have these easy to access and well publicized alternatives.

The rom for Tears of the Kingdom was downloaded 1 million times before the game even officially released.
But that's not the point. Discontinuing a given emulator because people use it for piracy is the same of discontinue a console because people jailbroke it to use downloaded games, at least at the eye of the law. Nintendo doesn't have the right to do that, and that's the main point the people that are defending emulators here are presenting.
Imagine if Microsoft demanded that Apple discontinue BootCamp because people are using it to install pirated copies of Windows in their Macs. I just as ridiculous.

Last edited:
But that's not the point. Discontinuing a given emulator because people use it for piracy is the same of discontinue a console because people jailbroke it to use downloaded games, at least at the eye of the law. Nintendo doesn't have the right to do that, and that's the main point the people that are defending emulators here are defending.
Imagine if Microsoft demanded that Apple discontinue BootCamp because people are using it to install pirated copies of Windows in their Macs. I just as ridiculous.

Apologies if I didn’t make it clear that I’m not defending Nintendo’s actions. I just find some of the generalizations that people make regarding the piracy itself to be intentionally misleading.

sudolicious

For your information, there was no credible source to that number at the time this claim was made. It was - as you might've guessed it - sensationalist bullshit.

About your broader point: Sure, Nintendo is losing some money. Also I understand Emulators not being in their interest, as a corporation. I'm not Nintendo though, you're not Nintendo. They have no legal or moral standing to interfere with Emulators (emulators!!). Piracy, sure. Leaking, distributing games and whatnot. Go after these guys, or the guys that post the screenshots two weeks prior to release. I understand wanting to go after the "root cause", but that's just not how things work, unless you're some totalitarian megalomanic. You don't ban the internet because there are thing on there you don't like, you go after the things that are an issue.

I'm pissed at Nintendo, yes, but also I'm pissed at a system in which Nintendo gets away with this kind of bullshit. And yes, I can both hate the player, as well as the game. To a much stronger extent I'm irritated at the people who actually defend Nintendo in all of this. It's alright to not know better, to not form a strong enough opinion one way or the other. But don't let Nintendo/Corporations deceive you, because it will only get worse.

Last edited:

FStubbs

I remember when Sony shut down Lik-Sang by suing them in over 50 countries. Did people stop buying PlayStation?

And ... we don't even need to talk about Microsoft do we? And people still buy ... well, wait, n/m on that one.

And TOTK still sold over 18 million copies.

Nintendo still made a buttload of profit.

The reality is that emulation and piracy have a higher technical barrier of entry for 99% of normies that want to the games.

Now that I think about it, are there any examples of any companies actually going out of business because of piracy? Did Metallic stop doing concerts, did Lars Ulrich have to s**k dick on the streets to make a living? Are Nintendo execs putting out 2nd mortgages to put food on the table?

Astray

You don't know what you're talking about.

Again, get your facts straight before spreading bullshit.

Emulation is a very broad thing, you know?

I can show you several, here you go:
61ROIwa.jpeg
sfoubu5.jpeg
0zv59LD.jpeg
1j62USV.jpeg

Oh, but you mean gaming only? Here ya go:

F5PR8Fy.jpeg
rAHTh1r.jpeg
lnooY0p.jpeg

Well, you mean RECENT gaming only? Ok, then:

kf4wdWa.jpeg
TWGuO1S.jpeg
xvmerpC.jpeg

I hope that now you stop spreading bullshit. The use case you're using as an sample isn't anything near the "95%" you told. I'd be surprised if it's anything near 10%. Emulators are used in a daily basis for everything you could imagine, isn't just a gaming thing. If you mean gaming only, you need to specify, but piracy is not the only use case, also it's not near the percentage you talked.
Lots of dumbassery in this post.

It's extremely, EXTREMELY clear that I'm talking about game emulators that are built by individual or groups of devs to play ROMs and hacked copies of games.

No one here brought up those Genesis or NES nostalgia boxes, or re-release collections (even if those use web-sourced emulators and ROMs, it's not like Sega or Nintendo can't make their own, the original devs were just chumps that did the work for free).

Did anyone in this thread even mention anything bad about compatibility layers for Windows apps on Mac, or any of the shit you posted? (which I resized, because again, you're very enraged and didn't even see fit to resize those screenshots for easy reading).

Your absolute seethe over Nintendo blocking your favored piracy method is abundantly clear in your post.

If you didn't, you wouldn't be searching up countless things that weren't mentioned by anyone to try to "own me".

Personally, they're perfect for speedrunning. TAS shows me exactly where, when and how I can improve. They're mostly if not always exclusively run on emulators.
A bit sketchier than I'd like, but fair enough.

Sure: every single time you emulate a game of which you own a legitimate copy, that isn't piracy.
Incidentally, the potential for software/game piracy applies to the actual Switch hardware, too, and it's not just an emulation issue.

Most of the "decryption/serial key archive sites" out there existed for the main purpose to ease-up piracy on the Switch and weren't created specifically for some emulator.

Case in point: I own a legitimate copy of Bloodborne on my Sony/PSN account.
Do you think it will qualify as "piracy" on my part the day I decide to play it on the upcoming PS4 emulator (that we already have a thread about)?
Which is why I said "widespread", you are clearly in the minority here.

My prediction is that PS4 emulator will get ganked too just as soon as they achieve results (just in time to get to keep all the work done for free). And people will mald over it too because the fundamental problem here is that people want to have free shit.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Meanwhile I'm enjoying my legally purchased and dumped copy of Echoes of Wisdom at 4k/60fps/RTX HDR and it's gorgeous:

54040191275_2519c3115d_o.png

54040071889_79edf02930_o.png

54039742101_927a3c5076_o.png

Is piracy a reason Nintendo is going after emulators? Sure. But it's also because these emulators offer a superior experience to Nintendo's own hardware and Nintendo knows it. They're already making Nintendo's own games look and perform better than what even the Switch 2 will provide.

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
For your information, there was no credible source to that number at the time this claim was made. It was - as you might've guessed it - sensationalist bullshit.

That was the number Nintendo estimated in his lawsuit against Yuzu, so it wasn't that bullshit.

Discontinuing a given emulator because people use it for piracy is the same of discontinue a console because people jailbroke it to use downloaded games

Nintendo can't do much against emulators themselves, we know that, so they find ways to take them down in various ways. For Yuzu they discovered they were using illegal dumps so they went for DMCA, for Ryujinx they (allegedly) did bribe him into retirement (since apparently they had no weak point). I believe Nintendo is actually more afraid of their accumulated know-how: these teams have vast experience in the Switch hardware and they would have been the ones that could have a Switch 2 emulator running in the shortest span of time (being that 1 or 5 years), so by bullying/bribing them out of the scene they know the next emulator will have to start pretty much from scratch.

FStubbs

That was the number Nintendo estimated in his lawsuit against Yuzu, so it wasn't that bullshit.

Nintendo can't do much against emulators themselves, we know that, so they find ways to take them down in various ways. For Yuzu they discovered they were using illegal dumps so they went for DMCA, for Ryujinx they (allegedly) did bribe him into retirement (since apparently they had no weak point). I believe Nintendo is actually more afraid of their accumulated know-how: these teams have vast experience in the Switch hardware and they would have been the ones that could have a Switch 2 emulator running in the shortest span of time (being that 1 or 5 years), so by bullying/bribing them out of the scene they know the next emulator will have to start pretty much from scratch.
I'm fairly sure with the standardized ARM architecture nVidia is likely providing Nintendo, that these emulators would probably be able to emulate Switch 2 games from Day 1 with no modifications whatsoever.

marquimvfs

Lots of dumbassery in this post.
Likewise, fellow
It's extremely, EXTREMELY clear that I'm talking about game emulators that are built by individual or groups of devs to play ROMs and hacked copies of games.
No, it's not. Everytime someone talks about emulators here is the most generic nonsense like you did in your previous posts. Like I said, emulation is a very widespread thing, and yes, you need to be specific. If you meant to say that "Ryujinx have no real use outside piracy" while questionable, you wouldn't be so far away from reality, but even that is anecdotal.
No one here brought up those Genesis or NES nostalgia boxes, or re-release collections
I bought up. I own the SNES classic (pretty neat thing) and the Mega Man X collection for PS4 and they are the perfect example of a genuine use for emulators, witch you said that weren't useful for anything but piracy.
it's not like Sega or Nintendo can't make their own, the original devs were just chumps that did the work for free
Now, that's dumbassery, for real.
Did anyone in this thread even mention anything bad about compatibility layers for Windows apps on Mac, or any of the shit you posted?
Yes, you put emulation, in general, in the same jar as yours anecdotal piracy uses.
which I resized, because again, you're very enraged and didn't even see fit to resize those screenshots for easy reading
My bad, in phone it looked just fine, will resize later.
Your absolute seethe over Nintendo blocking your favored piracy method is abundantly clear in your post.
That's not just anecdotal, is a serious accusation. I'm not a pirate, but I admit to have done it in the past. I've never used a Switch emulator to see what's like, I'm just in this kind of thread to help people that hear (reads) shit about emulators see the truth behind all the misinformation spreaded by people like you.

If those kind of blocks starts to be accepted by the law, it will open a very dangerous precedent for evey single legitimate use case for emulators that are not made by the IP owner, and I'm not talking gaming only. See, the very palm emulator that I posted a screenshot is used by Imax Cinemas, given that the motors that move the films are controlled by an ancient palm. Once the device gave up on life, their only solution was to replace everything or use a software that could emulate the palmOS.

You could argue that this is nothing related to gaming emulation, but, in the end, emulation is emulation, it doesn't matter if the device is used for gaming or not. If Nintendo keeps being successful in court, some people in the future could acquire the Palm rights with the intention to use, and send a cease and desist letter to every developer who kept old systems running by this very day.

So, yes, when you talk about "emulators", you need to specify, and when your favourite company targets them, it's dangerous for every legit emulator out there, even the not gaming related ones.

Last edited:
And people will still just blindly support them.
This is the video game equivalent of the physically abusive relationship, “but he loves me! He doesn’t mean it!”
A lot of Nintendo fans have battered wife syndrome. Next, Nintendo will go after artists selling Nintendo inspired merch on Etsy and artwork on Deviantart and it will be all their fault.

Top Bottom