• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo President: We don't need to use AI for game development, we have decades of know-how in creating optimal gaming experiences for our customers

hemo memo

Gold Member
Good on you Nintendo but would that last? Didn’t they say they’re not going to make remake/remasters? Not that I’m complaining but I mean things change.

bender

What time is it?
I agree that Nintendo gets too much praise for their gameplay
giphy.gif

S0ULZB0URNE

Is he confirming the next Nintendo gaming device is so weak that it doesn't support DLSS like the rumors suggest?

Or

That the next hardware is so powerful that it doesn't need DLSS in his opinion?

hemo memo

Gold Member
Is he confirming the next Nintendo gaming device is so weak that it doesn't support DLSS like the rumors suggest?

Or

I don’t think their console philosophy will change. They don’t go around the world to ask what 3rd party devs want like Sony or Microsoft. They design their consoles based on their internal devs needs.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
No audience for PS3 games, huh?

Coulda sworn I played Demon's Souls, tLoU & Like a Dragon Ishin! on PS5. Here comes Lollipop Chainsaw & Shadow of the
The only reason there "isn't an audience" for ps3 games is because Sony still doesn't want to provide decent PS3 emulation. Which is why you get a pc :)

Shodai

As someone who works in AI and always having implementations on my mind...I hope he is essentially suggesting they are exploring where it makes sense to use, and where it is not mature enough yet. If this is just him more or less saying, we know what we are doing and don't need that...The same kinda thing was said 100 years ago when cars started to come out. "Who needs a car, my horse gets me to work just fine." is what my grandfather said...

I really hope he isn't that bullish.

Last edited:

laynelane

AI in gaming are for lazy one. We not only take jobs, but also promove mediocrity.

With the way many gaming companies operate, I fully expect AI to be used to decrease jobs and reduce costs - all while adding very little value to the creativity and playability of the games they produce. I get that it's exciting tech for some, but when you look at who will be using it - well, I'm not feeling very optimistic about all the supposed benefits.

They say that now but things change so damn fast. Lord only know what the world looks like in just 5 years, never mind 10+ years. Hopefully one thing stays the same and that's Nintendo releasing quality games. That's something that has been consistent with Nintendo.

Onironauta

Or

Everyone in here is talking about graphics, but he's actually referring to using AI to generate game content/assets (automating devs' work)
Graphic whores completely missing the point lmao

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Everyone in here is talking about graphics, but he's actually referring to using AI to generate game content/assets (automating devs' work)
Graphic whores completely missing the point lmao
"Generative AI models can take inputs such as text, image, audio, video, and code and generate new content into any of the modalities mentioned. For example, it can turn text inputs into an image, turn an image into a song, or turn video into text."

Everyone is graphic whores or else we would never buy new gaming devices that do what?
Offer improved visuals...

Last edited:

consoul

As someone who works in AI and always having implementations on my mind...I hope he is essentially suggesting they are exploring where it makes sense to use, and where it is not mature enough yet. If this is just him more or less saying, we know what we are doing and don't need that...The same kinda thing was said 100 years ago when cars started to come out. "Who needs a car, my horse gets me to work just fine." is what my grandfather said...

I really hope he isn't that bullish.
I feel like Nintendo Legal had a hand in this. You can't sue us because we're saying we don't use Gen AI trained on anyone else's work to make our products, but you better believe we're gonna sue if we think anyone else's AI assisted content was trained on our assets.

begotten

Animation key frames, and AI generation of art assets like pieces of levels, textures, models.

I don't know what part of that is difficult for you to understand?

Animation key frames? Lol?

There is no animator in the Games Industry, or alive and breathing, who is giving a Rigged Model to some AI and saying "Can you animate and produce key frames for x, y and z animation for me using this rigs 100 different controllers and custom attributes" . There are automated processes in 3D software and things like UE, but it's not what you seem to be assuming - because who the fuck says "Animation Key Frames" and thinks AI can generate that.

Also AI can't even make truly unique and usable 3D models yet, it's not denting the Games Industry at a medium to high level of any art asset production any time soon.

Only major influence in a game where AI was used for art assets, where it also stood out, and wasn't obvious generic rubbish, was when Carry Castle used procedural texture sets, which were still based off real-life photos that they captured anyways.

Last edited:

spons

Anything that can be automated already is. You don't need AI for the majority of automation in development. Nobody's doing tedious shit manually if you can write a 40 line script to do it for you. I applaud them on not crapping out inferior art through generative AI though.

Animation key frames? Lol?

There is no animator in the Games Industry, or alive and breathing, who is giving a Rigged Model to some AI and saying "Can you animate and produce key frames for x, y and z animation for me using this rigs 100 different controllers and custom attributes" . There are automated processes in 3D software and things like UE, but it's not what you seem to be assuming - because who the fuck says "Animation Key Frames" and thinks AI can generate that.

Also AI can't even make truly unique and usable 3D models yet, it's not denting the Games Industry at a medium to high level of any art asset production any time soon.

Only major influence in a game where AI was used for art assets, where it also stood out, and wasn't obvious generic rubbish, was when Carry Castle used procedural texture sets, which were still based off real-life photos that they captured anyways.

The rapid pace of AI development means it will be able to do all of this and more within the next 10 yrs.

You're vastly underestimating the capabilities of AI.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
They won't be using AI on games because all their AI is used for finding copyright infringement and sending cease and desist letters.

GymWolf

Gold Member
He was talking about generative AI specifically btw.

I appreciate some of the things TotK does, especially in terms of scale, but this circlejerk around it with people pretending the game invented physics and crafting is ridiculous
Don't forget noita that make make look the physics system of zelda like child play.

Schmendrick

ah nonsense. AI will absolutely take over all the pedestrian work sooner rather than later, and that`s a good thing as it frees up resources in other fields or simply keeps budgets in check.
Anyone claiming otherwise can just as well yell at a cloud.

Last edited:

Woopah

Zelda, Mario, Smash, Donkey Kong, Pokemon, Animal Crossing. Sorry 6.
They have 20+ series just on Switch.

Or

He's talking specifically about the IP issues with generative AI. Wouldn't apply to DLSS.
I don’t think their console philosophy will change. They don’t go around the world to ask what 3rd party devs want like Sony or Microsoft. They design their consoles based on their internal devs needs.
Not entirely true. They increased the RAM on Switch at the request of Capcom. I'm sure they've been discussing Switch 2 with third parties for years.

Top Bottom