• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one would pay for Nintendo online service. The eshop monthly games are cool, but not for their service. Not sure why anybody would want that anyway. Steam is free.

Really your paying for voice chat. The free games is just an incentive, like Live and PSN.

Look Nintendo fears online voice chat, scared of some pediphile talking to your kiddies. So charge is for online voice chat, party chat, and friends list without friend codes. Make us pay with a credit card and prove we are all adults.

If a parent pays for their kids to play and chat, that is on them.

This is still worlds behind what Microsoft does with Live. But it is a great start for Nintendo.

If you are ok with no voice chat, multiplayer is free. You want to chat, you pay.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
That's a fair point regarding paying for another subscription.

As far as singleplayer games, I wouldn't say everyone has gone to that. Some folks just don't have the time or want to invest in a singleplayer game when you can just hop in some online multiplayer game and get some matches/races in.

Oh that part I wasn't meaning to apply generally, just to why I'm less willing to pay for online (much less multiple services) in the past.

Online gaming is bigger than ever and continuing to grow so that's not an issue. Having to pay for more than one service is, especially for this more casual online gamers, so that's definitely something that keeps some fencesitters on the fence. Hell, it's part of the point as getting people to subscribe kind of "locks them in" and makes it harder for them to pick up a PS/X1 (whichever they don't have) as they have to pay for another service if they want to play online there.

Nintendo would benefit IMO from not adding that potential barrier to the equation. It's a lot easier for someone to impulse buy a Switch to play Splatoon, Mario Kart, Smash etc. if they don't have to shell out for another online service to do so.

Malyse

Can someone explain to me how Nintendo would do a VC service?

They would still have to keep a regular VC for those who want to purchase VC games.

Then how do they do a subscription because they would have to rotate games into the subscription each month and they can't do too many games at once.

Would they do 10-20 games a month for the subscription and rotate 5 games in and out every month?
Netflix doesn't have every movie, nor do they keep every movie they have permanently. Do it like Netflix.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
People want to pay for online!?

GtI0EKM.png

Xiao Hu

My wife and I are on opposite sides of the spectrum with that exact scenario. So much so that whenever she mentions the price for something, I can just about assume that it's actually a dollar more than what she said. $4.99 is automatically $4 to her.

Jesus, I don't even want to know how much you spend per month with that kind of perception

Agreed but for everyone here, it's assumed that video games are a passion, hobby or at the least a passing interest. $50 is less than you would pay for a game.

That's exactly how much a new 3DS game costs over here in Germany, probably even more. You also have to take into account the parents who will finance their kids' hobby. Again, here in Germany we had maaaany great deals for Xbox/PS plunging the price below EUR 250.

oti

Banned
Nintendo Gold Membership:

Deals on games
Demos
New interview format with developers
Let's Play format by TreeHouse, showing upcoming games

Air

Banned
People would pay....stop worrying about hardcore MS and Sony fans and their opinions. Just like PS3 was free and all of a sudden nobody had a problem to pay for online with PS4...

I'm not worrying about anyone's opinions lol. People wouldn't pay to play for online for Nintendo games, and I'm pretty sure Nintendo knows this as well. A large chunk of their content is for multiple people and free online is an incentive to get people to buy their games.

Really your paying for voice chat. The free games is just an incentive, like Live and PSN.

Look Nintendo fears online voice chat, scared of some pediphile talking to your kiddies. So charge is for online voice chat, party chat, and friends list without friend codes. Make us pay with a credit card and prove we are all adults.

This is still worlds behind what Microsoft does with Live. But it is a great start for Nintendo.

If you are ok with no voice chat, multiplayer is free. You want to chat, you pay.

Ok I see what you're saying. I thought you were saying that playing multiplayer would still be charged, so I misread your post. Yeah, while I wouldn't mind your proposal, I'm not sure Nintendo would go that way, if only because they want a certain kind of environment for their online games. Interesting proposal though and I think it'd be a good compromise

Netflix doesn't have every movie, nor do they keep every movie they have permanently. Do it like Netflix.
Yeah, that's what I was alluding to when I said they would have a limited amount of games (not the whole VC library) because if they did someone would just pay $10 and play all the games they want and cancel. Nintendo would lose out.

A subscription would be a limited amount of games with games rotating in and out every month.

Wouldn't work for higher tier VC games like Gamecube games though. They need to have those available for purchase individually. They could only afford to have like 1 or 2 GC or higher VC games on a sub service at any one time. That would be kinda crappy for those of us looking forward to getting GC games on Switch.

That's why you have both options.

A) VC subscription service with limited games rotating in and out

B) VC games to be bought from the full VC library that Nintendo has up to that point (this is what we have right now).

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Wouldn't work for higher tier VC games like Gamecube games though. They need to have those available for purchase individually. They could only afford to have like 1 or 2 GC or higher VC games on a sub service at any one time. That would be kinda crappy for those of us looking forward to getting GC games on Switch.

Jesus, I don't even want to know how much you spend per month with that kind of perception

Thankfully we do the shopping together, so I know when to cut things off lol. It's also not a problem for the essentials, just when we decide to go out for stuff we don't really "need".

I join the "no online fee" group. Whatever the price, I hate paying monthly fees.

I'm with you! At one point I payed for both Xbox Live and PS Plus, but I can't bring myself to do both anymore. I have Xbox Live because I feel that the benefits are worth it, but I refuse to pay for another similar service.

Nintendo Gold Membership:

Deals on games
Demos
New interview format with developers
Let's Play format by TreeHouse, showing upcoming games

That's an interesting thought. What if:

Nintendo Gold:

Deals on games
Demos
Treehouse access. Allowed to submit questions to the treehouse staff.
Online play parties. Play with developers every so often. Able to offer feedback on games.
Voice chat
If they could bring back Netflix party watch. That would be cool.
Have an exclusive game for Gold members only. Like Buzz or 1vs.100, Smarty pants, etc.

Neoxon

You do realize that Friend Codes were gone since the Wii U, right?

You do realize that Friend Codes were gone since the Wii U, right?

Yes. But make it even easier. Add people by gamertag or Facebook.

But I also think Discord should be an app for Switch.

Allowing people to message others not on the device has NEVER been done by a console. What if Switch had Kik, discord, reddit, and others. That would be very very smart IMHO.

moozoom

Just got an invitation to try the Switch at a Paris event next weekend ! Pretty Excited !

Just two days after the presentation, I couldn't ask for more. Now I wonder what games I'll be able to try and see...

AdanVC

Just got an invitation to try the Switch at a Paris event next weekend ! Pretty Excited !

Just two days after the presentation, I couldn't ask for more. Now I wonder what games I'll be able to try and see...

Are you ready to experience Just Dance 2016 Switch version and nothing else!?

So jelly, congrats! Looking forward to read your impressions.

I wonder if they'll do a pack-in again. I hope so.

On price I was guessing $299 with a pack-in? I know that's pricey given the specs but I wouldn't put it past them.

Waji

Probably at least Zelda and a multiplayer title like Splatoon or Mario Kart.
That would be the bare minimum, but I expect more.

AntMurda

On price I was guessing $299 with a pack-in? I know that's pricey given the specs but I wouldn't put it past them.

Launch pack-ins only work when Nintendo has a casual party game. Splatoon nor Zelda really make sense, especially since they will sell at such a high attach rate. Out of any game, Mario Kart 8.5 would make sense to pack-in, but that would still be financially stupid.

Neoxon

The current rumor is $250 for the basic package & $300 with Splatoon & more internal storage.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Launch pack-ins only work when Nintendo has a casual party game. Splatoon nor Zelda really make sense, especially since they will sell at such a high attach rate. Out of any game, Mario Kart 8.5 would make sense to pack-in, but that would still be financially stupid.

Splatoon makes a ton of sense if it's just a port with a little added content.

It has appeal, would cost them little to make, probably wouldn't sell well to people who played the shit out of Splatoon on Wii U and are tired of it, and would help make new fans to buy the shit out of a true sequel a year or two later.

AntMurda

Splatoon makes a ton of sense if it's just a port with a little added content.

It has appeal, would cost them little to make, probably wouldn't sell well to people who played the shit out of Splatoon on Wii U and are tired of it, and would help make new fans to buy the shit out of a true sequel a year or two later.

You didn't get Super Mario Advance for free, and that was a STRAIGHT PORT. Super Mario 64 DS was almost 1.5 version, and that also was non-pack in. Nintendogs+Cats? That's definitely a 1.5 sequel like what is being hinted for Mario kart and Splatoon and that was not packed-in.

I don't think Splatoon as a pack-in makes sense because it's an established IP, and it's not as accessible as a casual party game. Anything could happen, but Nintendo has followed a general rule when it comes to launch pack-ins.

You didn't get Super Mario Advance for free, and that was a STRAIGHT PORT. Super Mario 64 DS was almost 1.5 version, and that also was non-pack in. Nintendogs+Cats? That's definitely a 1.5 sequel like what is being hinted for Mario kart and Splatoon and that was not packed-in.
Super Mario Advance was a straight port? That's debatable, but even if you consider the SMB USA portion a port, there was also the Mario Bros Classic remake, which had multiplayer.

As much as I would love this, I'm not sure I can see them giving an all you can eat VC buffet. Especially not one that requires streaming tech on their end.
Why would it require streaming tech?
oti xero said:
People are willing to pay half of that for one VC game alone. This would be leaving money on the table.
Sure, but how many of them are buying 24 $5 games a year? Very few would be spending 120/year, so I'd think they'd have more to gain than lose. I considered myself a bit of a freakish supporter of Wii VC, but that was still probably more like $300 over five years.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

I don't think Splatoon as a pack-in makes sense because it's an established IP, and it's not as accessible as a casual party game. Anything could happen, but Nintendo has followed a general rule when it comes to launch pack-ins.

Conversely we got Super Mario World as a pack in with the SNES.

Nintendo needs this hardware to sell. Having all their software in one place is useless if sales are slow. Going back to having a worthwhile pack in, rather than mini game stuff, is one way too do that. Especially since they're not willing to take a loss on hardware sales to drive adoption.

If Nintendo wants to try to chase casuals again with some mini game pack in, well, good luck with that. Core gamers and lapsed gamers will take a hard pass, and the casuals will stick with mobile.

Having an established IP as a pack in helps the launch price, whatever it ends up being, be more appetizing to core gamers sitting on the fence about Switch. That's who they need to be early adopting alongside the Nintendo diehards and fanboys if they want this to get off to a hot start and not struggle indefintely like Wii U or until a price drop like 3DS.

Else this just risks getting perceived as another overpriced, underpowered Nintendo console full of expensive games that rarely drop in price and is easily ignored by fence sitters who are only interested in a handful of their titles anyway and perceive most as too "kiddy/cartoony." They've got to shake it up this time and make it a more enticing product from pricing, pack in game, free online play, a more robust software lineup with more variety in genre and art style, a better VC etc. if they're going to turn things around.

moozoom

Are you ready to experience Just Dance 2016 Switch version and nothing else!?

So jelly, congrats! Looking forward to read your impressions.

Being a french event, it wouldn't be strange to see Ubisoft games take a front seat.

I'm betting on playable Zelda, Mario Kart and maybe the rumored Mario/rabbids ( if it exists ). And hopefully some other games...

In the online form I had to complete for the inscription, they asked what games I ideally wanted to play. I said Zelda, because I feel mario kart would be too similar to the one on Wii U and I prefer to try something new.

Sure, but how many of them are buying 24 $5 games a year? Very few would be spending 120/year, so I'd think they'd have more to gain than lose. I considered myself a bit of a freakish supporter of Wii VC, but that was still probably more like $300 over five years.

That just seems like the solution everyone is pointing to. Wouldn't the alternative be to let people download as many VC games as they want to the console? They would then need to "check in" every so often to prove they either own the games or have a subscription. If there's something I'm not thinking of I would be glad to hear it!

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
That just seems like the solution everyone is pointing to. Wouldn't the alternative be to let people download as many VC games as they want to the console? They would then need to "check in" every so often to prove they either own the games or have a subscription. If there's something I'm not thinking of I would be glad to hear it!

That could work too. It would be like the PS+ games in that you download them but need an active sub to be able to play them.

Still requires being online and signed in, but no need for Nintendo to develop and support streaming tech or people to have fast and stable connections for a good experience.

I am not really up to date, will the Switch launch with a functioning account system akin to XBL and PSN? I hope games are attached to the account now, not to the device.

[thread=1319093]That is old news[/thread]

Apparently they cancelled the orders and refunded everyone.

Have a source for that? As of earlier this morning they were still taking pre-orders.

I am not really up to date, will the Switch launch with a functioning account system akin to XBL and PSN? I hope games are attached to the account now, not to the device.

All signs point to yes! Game purchases are still linked to Wii-U/3DS due to the way those systems were set up, but you also have a purchase history via My Nintendo. I see no reason why Switch would tie purchases to the hardware itself again, especially if the region-free rumors are true.

oti

Banned

You're right. I just don't think the same people who would buy all those games would be OK with borrowing and not owning them.

Until we get to that point of this being feasible a long time will pass however. Can't imagine Nintendo dumbing everything on the Switch VC at once.

Peltz

It's baffling to me that $50 would make or break some peoples interest in getting a new video game console that they'll use for 5-7 years.

If you're talking hardcore gamers like you and me, then yea, $50 is nothing. But to the general public? To the Moms and Dads and impulse buyers out there that are Nintendo's target audience? $50 is actually a very big deal because they likely don't spend more than a hundred or two hundred dollars per year on average on gaming. They also likely buy only 1-2 games per year in general and only end up with like 6 games by the end of the generation.

This crowd matters: I doubt Wii would have flown off the shelves at $299 instead of $249.

3DS also didn't take off until Nintendo dropped the price by $70 and that device lasted 6 years. These are also the people who did not buy a Wii U.

Part of the reason why the original Gameboy became so ubiquitous despite having hardware that was so inferior compared to competitors was the sub-$100 launch price. Adjusted for inflation of course, that's what Nintendo should be aiming for with the Switch.

P.S. Gameboy launched at $89.99, would only cost $169.73 today adjusted for inflation. That is the same price that they dropped the 3DS to after it failed to sell at $250. I think Nintendo should be aiming for a $199 launch price and drop the price of the N3DSXL significantly going forward. $250 is kind of high honestly, but I think Nintendo will try and swing that price because they're calling it a console and not a handheld in marketing materials.

Waji

I want this region free so bad.
Mostly buying Japanese games but a few EU/US depending on my need would be perfect.
Play any game everywhere, in any way, that's what the Switch should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom