• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not preordering. I already decided I'm not buying one until at least a month after launch, even if the price and launch lineup are good; I don't want to be a beta tester and find out that the OS is slow, that it has heating issues, that there are performance issues with certain games in handheld mode, that the OS is missing key features, that the hardware has build quality issues that make the dock prone to scratching the screen... I'd rather just wait until there are enough impressions out there that I can be confident in my purchase.

Different strokes! It's strange, but I actively enjoy playing around with stuff as early as possible, warts and all. I find that I appreciate it much more once they finally improve it as a result.

PSFan

If you're talking hardcore gamers like you and me, then yea, $50 is nothing. But to the general public? To the Moms and Dads and impulse buyers out there that are Nintendo's target audience? $50 is actually a very big deal because they likely don't spend more than a hundred or two hundred dollars per year on average on gaming. They also likely buy only 1-2 games per year in general and only end up with like 6 games by the end of the generation.

This crowd matters: I doubt Wii would have flown off the shelves at $299 instead of $249.

3DS also didn't take off until Nintendo dropped the price by $70 and that device lasted 6 years. These are also the people who did not buy a Wii U.

Part of the reason why the original Gameboy became so ubiquitous despite having hardware that was so inferior compared to competitors was the sub-$100 launch price. Adjusted for inflation of course, that's what Nintendo should be aiming for with the Switch.

P.S. Gameboy launched at $89.99, would only cost $169.73 today adjusted for inflation. That is the same price that they dropped the 3DS to after it failed to sell at $250. I think Nintendo should be aiming for a $199 launch price and drop the price of the N3DSXL significantly going forward. $250 is kind of high honestly, but I think Nintendo will try and swing that price because they're calling it a console and not a handheld in marketing materials.

They aren't targeting Moms and Dads with a March launch date. They are targeting the hardcore first and giving themselves enough time to adjust for the big holiday season. That's when they will target the Moms and Dads.

7roject28

If you're talking hardcore gamers like you and me, then yea, $50 is nothing. But to the general public? To the Moms and Dads and impulse buyers out there that are Nintendo's target audience? $50 is actually a very big deal because they likely don't spend more than a hundred or two hundred dollars per year on average on gaming. They also likely buy only 1-2 games per year in general and only end up with like 6 games by the end of the generation.

But then those are the same people that will go buy one on ebay for hundreds more after it's sold out because they thought $50 more was too much.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The only reason I'd be reluctant to get one day one is the colour choice. Not the biggest fan of the grey.

JoeM86

Never forget

IMG_76027202793370.jpg

Logic like that takes me back

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
But then those are the same people that will go buy one on ebay for hundreds more after it's sold out because they thought $50 more was too much.

No way to know that. And not sure how much that happens outside the holiday rush when those types do anything for their kids. And Nintendo missed the boat on a holiday launch obviously.

Other times of year, I'd guess a lot of the scalper sales go to hardcore types who can't find one for MSRP and pay more as they "have to have it."

optimiss

Not preordering. I already decided I'm not buying one until at least a month after launch, even if the price and launch lineup are good; I don't want to be a beta tester and find out that the OS is slow, that it has heating issues, that there are performance issues with certain games in handheld mode, that the OS is missing key features, that the hardware has build quality issues that make the dock prone to scratching the screen... I'd rather just wait until there are enough impressions out there that I can be confident in my purchase.

Considering the supply chain issues Nintendo seems to have you might be waiting 6+ months for one.

Dartastic

So, does anyone know approximately when Amazon preorders will go live? I assume sometime shortly after the event happens on Thursday? I want to make sure to get mine in as soon as possible... I don't wanna risk not being able to grab one of these.

Clov

That's the smart thing to do, and you should stick with it. I've already fallen victim to hype though; I know I won't be able to resist getting one on day one, as long as there's a good launch lineup.

Same. I got fucked over by buying a 3DS at launch.

Never again.

What I've learned in discussion is that for many people, Nintendo prices for both hard- and software are always too high and they always say they wait for them to drop - and then still find other reasons why they would not getting the system (see Gamecube at 99,- price point with pack-in games in the last 1-2 years or so of its lifecycle). Been like that since forever, even during SNES/N64 times.

For gamers on sites like this it just comes down to the fact that outside of the diehard Nintendo fans, Nintendo hardware is complementary to their main platform(s). Most are doing their gaming on some combination of PS/Xbox/PC and already have a hard time remotely keeping up with all the games that interest them on those platforms.

Nintendo still offers some appeal as they put out great games so some of them are going to appeal to most folks. But it's still hard to justify buying yet another console when you've already got a backlog. Even moreso when their games mostly stay full price when there are a ton of super cheap games you haven't gotten around to buying on the platforms you already own.

Not saying Nintendo can or should do much of anything about it. Just that that's where you get people saying they'd buy at X price and many still not buying after price drops and bundles. There are lots of people with mild interest in Nintendo, including a lot of lapsed fans, who have just moved on to other platforms and have a hard time justifying adding Nintendo hardware to the mix and can't make it their main as they prefer the lineup and graphics etc on the other platforms. Thus they still talk about wanting one if it was cheaper or whatever, but It's just a tough sell if they're only really interested in 5-10 of their games a generation, whilst having a huge list of cheap games they'd like to find time to buy and play on hardware they already own.

Nintendo just isn't getting many of those types to buy in. Their success will primarily come from doing well monetizing their base by having all their games available on one system that hopefully sells around 3DS levels (or better) rather than Wii U levels, maybe bringing in some new/lapsed gamers who get interested via mobile games or whatever and as a complementary console for hardcore gamers who buy and play all platforms.

I understand that. Though I personally think any combination of PS/Nintendo, Xbox/Nintendo or PC/Nintendo... or PC/anything for that matter... is more beneficial for the overall selection of different experiences than say, Xbox/PS. Especially this generation, last gen was different.

Probably, Switch can get a mixture between the small WiiU market, old/new Nintendo fans who are aware of the brand again via mobile games or other ventures, a couple of Vita owners and the 3DS market by default and thus start off better than just the WiiU. To expand, they have to convince those "secondary platform" users who won't buy a platform for 5-10 games through having their combined output on one system instead of two during the last gens AND some really good 3rd party ports for the "portable" angle (personal anecdotical evidence, but I know at least 3 people who would be quite interested in a portable Skyrim... and some people who actually only have a laptop and no TV at all who are looking forward to get back to console-style gaming without having to invest in a TV.) I think they have more of a chance to success with the Switch especially since outside of America, the Xbox brand is falling behind currently... for America, they need to go biggest in marketing for success.

Still, a lot - really, a lot - hinges on next weeks presentation. Their message, the games and the value proposal needs to be near perfect. They got something right already with not only having the 1 hour press conference/presentation for media outlets and gaming enthusiasts, but also offering another round of treehouse for the more regular public/people who are already fans of 3DS (or even WiiU) who like treehouse presenations. And the games being playable over the weekend on events and later on on PAX etc. I think they're going all-out for a 3 month long marketing rush, and a lot of announcements regarding games will be withheld for the following weeks to keep talk and interest going.
A lot of people were casting doom and gloom because of the small time frale between this reveal and the release. If done right, as you said, by a 3 months all out rush, it could be a very good strategy. They need to spend all the advertising money they withhold during WiiU lifetime to remain present for these 3 months, and deliver new announcements during this period. A blitzkrieg.

Yeah, I am really looking forward to this. Not even only because I like Nintendo games, but also because I am interested in marketing and advertisement. If they can pull a success with this marketing rush, it will be truly something special. If not.. I'm still interested in reactions and analysis. As I said, image and public perception is everything and would also allow them to choose their price accordingly despite of actual product worth. Apart from that... yeah, OK, I am excited to see a glimpse of new Nintendo (console) games after the last year was rather dry in that regard.

Do gameStops do midnight console launcheS.

They do indeed! The only variable is your specific store and the amount of pre-orders they have. In my old hometown, we had two stores that would often choose one location to have a launch at. In my current place of residence, there are 3 stores about 20 minutes apart from each other so any "launch" is based on pre-orders at just that store alone.

Vena

I have never pre-ordered a console (well, aside from the New 3DS but that's hardly a *new* console, and my old 3DS was breaking at the time).

Not going to start now, either.

I've actually always been months to years late to every console ever (PS2 two years in, Wii a year in, X360 way late when the Slim Elite launched, 3DS a year and a half in, WiiU a year and a half in), but this is the first console launch where I am also financial independent and able to afford such things on a whim if I so choose.

Who knows what I will do this time around. /shrug

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Though I personally think any combination of PS/Nintendo, Xbox/Nintendo or PC/Nintendo... or PC/anything for that matter... is more beneficial for the overall selection of different experiences than say, Xbox/PS. Especially this generation, last gen was different.

That's of course all down to tastes though. Some people just don't like they type of games Nintendo makes, their art styles etc. but love the shit out of Uncharted, Infamous, God of War, Halo, Gears, Crackdown etc. and love the Xbox/PS combo still. The selection of experiences really doesn't matter that much outside of the hardcore as most people have pretty narrow tastes in games, movies etc. with the diehards being the ones that want a ton of variety.

For me I'm PC/PS4 right now. Probably a 70/30 split I'd guess. I have a Wii U, but haven't used it in probably six months (other than a little Wii Fit).

If I get a Switch, it would probably end up something like 65/25/10 i(PC/PS4/Switch) f I had to guess. That's about what it was between 360/PS3/Wii last gen for me.

So it's just a matter of deciding if the asking price, extra clutter and power usage, for what will probably be 2-5 games a year I want to play. I imagine many others with mild interest in Nintendo are weighing the same types of things. We have more than enough to play on platforms we already have, many with huge backlogs, is the Nintendo variety worth it for us? It's a hard decision for me---realistically I don't need it. Emotionally, I want it as I have a ton of nostalgia from growing up a Nintendo fan, have a shelf full of 25ish Amiibo that seem even sillier if I don't have a system to use them with etc.

Dartastic

80 dollars in Amazon credit, and money put in savings ready to go for this bad boy GIMMIE DA SWITCH PLZ I NEED ZELDA IN MY VEINS

Also gonna trade some Wii U stuff in depending on whether or not they have ports. If Splatoon is just an enhanced port, it's gotta be sold.

hughesta

Banned
oh no I was debating selling my Wii U to help pay for the Switch but a friend's dog chewed up the Gamepad charging cord back when the system first launch and I never got it replaced (been using a third-party dock to charge it)

foiled again

TunaLover

Preordering on Friday

-Switch
-Pro Controller
-Zelda
-Zelda Amiibo
- 3 to 5 games

Trading some Wii U games in stuff in if they ported games
I want to know this too!
Splatoon and Sm4sh prices will go down once they announce the ports, yet again I don't wanna get rid off of these games! Is it 101% confirmed that Switch is getting those?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I have never pre-ordered a console (well, aside from the New 3DS but that's hardly a *new* console, and my old 3DS was breaking at the time).

Not going to start now, either.

I've actually always been months to years late to every console ever (PS2 two years in, Wii a year in, X360 way late when the Slim Elite launched, 3DS a year and a half in, WiiU a year and a half in), but this is the first console launch where I am also financial independent and able to afford such things on a whim if I so choose.

Who knows what I will do this time around. /shrug

Join us, Vena. Be one of us, Vena. You'll be happy, like we all are. Be one of us. Be one of us.

dcb8fac9dd1e4b6a1ae3ae43da0d3bfff53d3cdcc83395cb8fb4df770e302287.jpg

Seriously, I'll see what happens at the Presentation, and I'll decide wheter to preorder or not after we know price, more games, etc.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I want to know this too!
Splatoon and Sm4sh prices will go down once they announce the ports, yet again I don't wanna get rid off of these games! Is it 101% confirmed that Switch is getting those?

Splatoon was in the freaking announcement trailer

Dartastic

If you don't mind me asking; what was wrong with 3DS at launch? I've had mine since Day 1, and the only issue I've had was a bulging battery. One quick replacement and I've had no more problems!
Nothing was wrong. The price went down super fast though, which lead people to feel like they were burned. Due to that, they had the ambassador program stuff.

Taker666

Yeah, is that from the Metro newspaper? Apparently they don't have a strong background with video games news so it's likely all just speculation on their part.

With the British press, don't be surprised if they didn't just hear speculation it was going to be $300 and run it through a basic currency convertor ($300 works out to almost exactly £245 at the current exchange rate).

Plum

Splatoon was in the freaking announcement trailer

Was it? If you believe some people Skyrim and NBA aren't even being considered for the Switch so Splatoon may not be either...

...nah I kid. Everything in the announcement trailer is definitely coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom