• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That just seems like the solution everyone is pointing to. Wouldn't the alternative be to let people download as many VC games as they want to the console? They would then need to "check in" every so often to prove they either own the games or have a subscription.
Right, just like Steam or whatever. Doesn't seem a big technical issue, and much simpler than blowing gigabytes of bandwidth to stream the same stuff with more latency and lower quality.
You're right. I just don't think the same people who would buy all those games would be OK with borrowing and not owning them.
Sure; I'm not suggesting a monthly subscription service should replace the option to buy we have now. The only loss to Nintendo would be from I guess the "whales" who would've otherwise bought hundreds of dollars worth of VC content each year but choose to replace it with a subscription, but I'm doubting that's a big group.

funo

Quick info - my local gamestop has the switch up for pre-order, together with BotW, Splatoon, MK8 and Skyrim.

img_20170106_1908542fsjew.jpg

They probably don't know shit and based those pre-orders on the rumors.

optimiss

Then you'd be covered by my mention of Nintendo diehards. A diehard can still be a multi console owner. It just means their loyalty/interest is much stronger for one of the platforms, not that they only care about one--that's a fanboy.

That explanation doesn't make sense in the context of what you said, in my opinion. I think you are generalizing too much. Whatever, no big deal, just pointing it out.

This crowd matters: I doubt Wii would have flown off the shelves at $299 instead of $249.

I disagree. Nintendo underpriced it and they know it. It came with Wii Sports, and all anybody knew was they HAD TO HAVE IT.

The crowd matters, but so does the product. The Wii was an incredibly desirable product. Look at the burgeoning black market for that thing that lasted forever and you'll see that $249 was too low.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Quick info - my local gamestop has the switch up for pre-order, together with BotW, Splatoon, MK8 and Skyrim.

They probably don't know shit and based those pre-orders on the rumors.

As someone who worked in retail let me tell you that this stuff is completely made up on the spot. All they care about is you putting your money down at their store instead of the competition.

Right, just like Steam or whatever. Doesn't seem a big technical issue, and much simpler than blowing gigabytes of bandwidth to stream the same stuff with more latency and lower quality.

I not saying that they "couldn't" pull that off, but it's highly doubtful when even Sony and Microsoft don't offer something like that.

Peltz

I disagree. Nintendo underpriced it and they know it. It came with Wii Sports, and all anybody knew was they HAD TO HAVE IT.

The crowd matters, but so does the product. The Wii was an incredibly desirable product. Look at the burgeoning black market for that thing that lasted forever and you'll see that $249 was too low.

You can't use second-hand prices as any sort of indication as to what MSRP should be. That had more to due with the limited supply of the system.

You have to create a MSRP at an equilibrium of the supply/demand curve. Remember, unlike the law of demand, the supply relationship shows an upward slope. This means that the higher the price, the higher the quantity supplied. Producers supply more at a higher price because selling a higher quantity at a higher price increases revenue.

In contrast, the law of demand states that, if all other factors remain equal, the higher the price of a good, the less people will demand that good. In other words, the higher the price, the lower the quantity demanded.

If the price is set too high, excess supply will be created within the economy and there will be allocative inefficiency. This happened with the Wii U.

funo

As someone who worked in retail let me tell you that this stuff is completely made up on the spot. All they care about is you putting your money down at their store instead of the competition.

Yeah, was expecting nothing more of this

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
That explanation doesn't make sense in the context of what you said, in my opinion. I think you are generalizing too much. Whatever, no big deal, just pointing it out.

Sorry if I was unclear.

My point is that unless Nintendo just wants to make profits from milking their diehard base, they've got to do things that are appealing to:

1. Core gamers who are already mid generation on another platform(s), and thus unlikely to want to pay for another online gaming service, pay more than $200-250 for a system they're on the fence about.

2. Casuals, families and lapsed gamers who are very price sensitive and thus likely adverse to paying a fee to game online, and for whom even $50 difference can keep them on the fence.

People like you who game more on Nintendo that anything else are already in the basket, most would pay for an online service etc. Nintendo needs to not focus just on those fans, but what they need to do to broaden appeal.

That's all I was trying to get at.

You can't use second-hand prices as any sort of indication as to what MSRP should be. That had more to due with the limited supply of the system.

You have to create a MSRP at an equilibrium of the supply/demand curve.

Very much this. If it wasn't priced at a relatively easy impulse purchase level fewer people would have early adopted. That mean fewer people playing at friends/relatives places and wanting their own. Thus there would have been no short supply jacking up prices due to scalpers.

Getting the launch right is key. Sometimes products bounce back like the 3DS did, many times they do not though.

Is anyone here using My Nintendo is preparation for the Switch? I'm confident that the Switch launch will bring new rewards to the program, so I've been doing daily missions for quite some time now. Currently sitting at almost 4000 silver coins in hopes that I can use them for SOMETHING on the Switch. Even if it's just VC games. Please Nintendo.

I wouldn't get my hopes up. I don't expect anything other than what we are currently getting (and the yearly free picross/puzzle game, maybe). My hope is that as long as gamers do not spend their coins on those horrible discounts, then Nintendo will eventually get the picture and add some more things we want.

You have to create a MSRP at an equilibrium of the supply/demand curve. Remember, unlike the law of demand, the supply relationship shows an upward slope. This means that the higher the price, the higher the quantity supplied. Producers supply more at a higher price because selling a higher quantity at a higher price increases revenue.

In contrast, the law of demand states that, if all other factors remain equal, the higher the price of a good, the less people will demand that good. In other words, the higher the price, the lower the quantity demanded.

Sure, but I'm saying that the equilibrium for the Wii was closer to $299 than it was to $249, and considering the supply was what it was, they would have easily still been sold out of it for months at $299.

I wouldn't get my hopes up. I don't expect anything other than what we are currently getting (and the yearly free picross/puzzle game, maybe). My hope is that as long as gamers do not spend their coins on those horrible discounts, then Nintendo will eventually get the picture and add some more things we want.

See... my thought has always been that My Nintendo was released as early as possible so it's beyond ready for the Switch. That we have mediocre rewards for Wii-U/3DS always seemed to be the result of just needing "something" on the program before Switch comes out. Time will tell, but I'm optimistic.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
See... my thought has always been that My Nintendo was released as early as possible so it's beyond ready for the Switch. That we have mediocre rewards for Wii-U/3DS always seemed to be the result of just needing "something" on the program before Switch comes out. Time will tell, but I'm optimistic.

I'm pretty pessimistic, but still do my quick daily stuff in Miitomo on the shitter in hopes something worthwhile comes from the coins. :D

I doubt it though. It goes against them wanting their games viewed as premium products, being concerned with devaluing them, rarely dropping prices etc.

But maybe we'll get a better selection of VC options for the coins--maybe just once a year like the old Club Nintendo rewards.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Nope. I can tell you right now with all honesty, that the reason I bought the Wii was because it was so cheap. I had never owned a Nintendo system before and the motion controls had me excited, but that wasn't enough. It needed the right price to go along with it, and the Wii had that. It wouldn't have been as successful if it was more expensive.

Raet

Seriously, Nintendo of Europe has to have Zelda or 3D Mario ready for launch. Ports of Splatoon and MK8 are not nearly enough.

Nakasan

How many you all have taken next Friday off to preorder this thing?

I'm working from home on Friday so yeah, it's getting preordered. It's getting preordered HARD.

Looking forward to being able to watch the live broadcast too!!

Pastry

Banned

I've got a "doctor appointment" Friday morning. I'll be in the office around 10:30, GameStop opens at 10 lol.

And if preorders don't open until the 16th I've got that day off anyway.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Ah, I remember when that came up and Bowser Jr. was leaked.

Everyone went NUTS. What I'd do to relive such hype.

That day was nuts. Little Mac = Shulk, and people said that the video was based on Brawl mod because SHulk apparently use Ike's move(s) and Ganondorf didn't get any move changes since some characters got their moves changed.

oti

Banned
Nope. I can tell you right now with all honesty, that the reason I bought the Wii was because it was so cheap. I had never owned a Nintendo system before and the motion controls had me excited, but that wasn't enough. It needed the right price to go along with it, and the Wii had that. It wouldn't have been as successful if it was more expensive.

I mean, basic economic principles say you're wrong.
If something is sold out for two years, that something is underpriced.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

I'm off/working from home Friday anyway. I'm still super on the fence about preordering. If I do I'd probably just do Amazon so I don't have to put anything down and can cancel easily if I change my mind.

If it's $200 I'll probably preorder. Only sticking point is time to play at launch with my two most anticipated games of the year (Horizon and Mass Effect) coming out 2/28 and 3/21. At that price I'd probably say fuck it and just mess around with some pick up and play game and not start Zelda (assuming it's at launch) until after finishing those games.

$250 and I'm way back on the fence. Probably more in wait and see how sales are going, how the game library is shaping up by summer to buy. Bundled game I actually want would put me back into buying probably though.

$300 or more (even if for the non-gimped version with decent storage if there's multiple skus) and I'll pass until a price drop/sale/better bundle (can be retailer specific, rather than official drop or bundle). Exception would be Zelda being bundled, but I don't see that happening. Maybe I could swallow it if it's Splatoon AND has a lot of new content (got sick of the base game months ago).

Wanting a pro controller due to the lack of dpad on the joycons/grip, and the joycon grip set up looking a tad awkward to me adds cost as well....

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
That day was nuts. Little Mac = Shulk, and people said that the video was based on Brawl mod because SHulk apparently use Ike's move(s) and Ganondorf didn't get any move changes since some characters got their moves changed.

Never forget

IMG_76027202793370.jpg

I normally come in at 8:30, but I took 3 hours of PTO time to get to Gamestop for 10. If they don't do pre-orders on Friday, I can just go to work on-time and use those hours on Monday. I think some rumors point to them going live on Friday though.

Not preordering. I already decided I'm not buying one until at least a month after launch, even if the price and launch lineup are good; I don't want to be a beta tester and find out that the OS is slow, that it has heating issues, that there are performance issues with certain games in handheld mode, that the OS is missing key features, that the hardware has build quality issues that make the dock prone to scratching the screen... I'd rather just wait until there are enough impressions out there that I can be confident in my purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom