• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys dismiss SMD's videos way too much. Forget he's the one making the videos. Nobody likes him and he still has his own agenda, but this is coming from Nico who has gotten things right.

He says Red Dead Redemption 2 is coming and the Switch is as powerful as the PS4 when docked.

That would mean there are parts in that dock and there's no way in hell its going to cost $250 I fell unless he way saying there's an attachment you can add to the dock to make the Switch as powerful as the PS4.

I haven't watch the whole video to know how it was worded. It's still interesting because Nico got some things right and Nico did say that Mario sports game for 3DS was coming to Switch also.
Didn't Nico (Nico Wave was it?) say Switch was more powerful than PS4?
He also said something about a wireless dongle, though he got the Rabbids thing right.

Malakai

Couldn't a cut down version of the GTX 1050 beat the lights of the OG PS4's GPU? (Something like a GT 1020 equivalent maybe?) I doubt the dock would have something like that but it is fun to think about.

Doorman

Re: Transferring old VC purchases...

I'm not sure. This is a new system, falling under a completely new branding scheme, and with presumably a whole new interface. MyNintendo has a bit of presence on the 3DS, but even on Wii U it's not exactly fully utilized when it comes to account features, and given the relatively small (rumored) internal system memory and limited options for available expansion space, we have no idea how anything digital is going to work for the Switch itself, let alone getting the system to communicate with prior consoles. Wii U transfers are possible, I guess, 3DS I wouldn't really think so, and to imagine that Nintendo would be crafting options to transfer system purchases from two consoles ago is nearly laughable. They would have to release an update for the original Wii to make such a feat even possible and I cannot imagine them bothering to put in the effort for that.

My...concern, if you want to call it that, is that Switch VC (assuming it even exists) will be treated as something of a fresh start, but perhaps at this point a lot of the commonly-released games will be given more favorable pricing or frequent sales. If MyNintendo starts to offer rewards like the early days of the Digital Deluxe Promotion, people may bite on using some of their credit toward recovering some of their favorite classics. No matter what I'm sure it's not going to sway a lot of the people who'd come to this sort of forum to discuss.

TaterTots

Banned
I'm so hype for this thing I ordered a 2DS with Mario Kart 7 and Smash. I haven't owned anything Nintendo related in a long long time, but the concept of the Switch is nice imo.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Oh, that rumour poisoned this thread too. Nicowav hasn't proven to be reliable with his info in any way. Except Devil's Third linked back to his generic rumour about a Japanese exclusive for Wii U (that could have been very well a lucky guess, considering how he likes to throw things at a wall and see what sticks) what else did he got right?

Kouriozan

Do we know if Dragon Quest X will be released outside of Japan?

Would cost too much, even if Nintendo helped.
Plus apparently Dragon Quest VII didn't sell as much as Square expected, so Dragon Quest games localization is still something that is not guaranted, looks at Heroes 2 for example.

Does it though? Seems more like a nice-to-have, at this point, especially now that Wii U production is ramped all the way down and there's no Wii Us left to migrate Wii data onto.
You don't have to be migrating--but if you want to buy a native Wii download title you still need to go into vWii and get it from that shop.

I don't understand why anyone's in a rush to close digital storefronts. Even if it's not updating, let it sit. As long as it's not being hacked into, it's not like it should be taking significant resources.

Pokemaniac

Does it though? Seems more like a nice-to-have, at this point, especially now that Wii U production is ramped all the way down and there's no Wii Us left to migrate Wii data onto.

I mean, obviously Wii mode would function without it, but unlike on 3DS where the DSi Shop was folded in to the 3DS eShop, the two shops stayed separate on Wii U and closing down the Wii Shop Channel would prevent people from buying or redownloading Wii content on Wii U. At this point, I don't really see them closing it down until the Wii U eShop goes EoL, especially seeing how long they waited to finally close the DSi Shop (A closure, which, I should point out, doesn't affect 3DS owners in the slightest). Unless they can manage to fold it into the Wii U eShop, they're probably stuck with it for the long haul.

The worst part of this situation is that, also unlike the DSi Shop, various Wii software actually depends on the Wii Shop's existence, which is probably part of the reason we ended up here to begin with. While extracting the WiiWare manuals to somewhere else probably wouldn't have been a huge deal, Nintendo Wi-Fi Pay & Play (the Wii's DLC system) probably baked enough into the games themselves that they'd all have to be patched to talk to a new backend.

I mean, obviously Wii mode would function without it, but unlike on 3DS where the DSi Shop was folded in to the 3DS eShop, the two shops stayed separate on Wii U and closing down the Wii Shop Channel would prevent people from buying or redownloading Wii content on Wii U. At this point, I don't really see them closing it down until the Wii U eShop goes EoL, especially seeing how long they waited to finally close the DSi Shop (A closure, which, I should point out, doesn't affect 3DS owners in the slightest). Unless they can manage to fold it into the Wii U eShop, they're probably stuck with it for the long haul.

The worst part of this situation is that, also unlike the DSi Shop, various Wii software actually depends on the Wii Shop's existence, which is probably part of the reason we ended up here to begin with. While extracting the WiiWare manuals to somewhere else probably wouldn't have been a huge deal, Nintendo Wi-Fi Pay & Play (the Wii's DLC system) probably baked enough into the games themselves that they'd all have to be patched to talk to a new backend.

This is true -Skyward Sword has a save glitch that can only be fixed from the Wii Shop.

neohwa

zex5oKs.png

What kind of connections do you expect between the Switch and Nintendo's mobile games/My Nintendo reward program?

The same as Wii U/3DS. Meaning you will get a reward that worth 1% of what you spent.

[URL="[/URL]

The quoted statement above from Nintendo doesn't say anything about the dock NOT providing extra power. In fact, it doesn't confirm nor deny if the dock have additional hardware and/or let the Switch overclock. Basically, it says that the Switch brains is in the tablet-like component. Unfortunately, you had media sources interpreting the statement like this Verge article: [URL=" Nintendo Switch dock is only for charging and TV output[/URL]. The title is misleading due it having the word "only" when Nintendo's own statement doesn't even have the word "only" in it or any word usage to imply "only".

Nintendo wouldn't be in the wrong, if simply connecting the Switch to a power supply ups the clock speed like it does for laptops. In that case, the dock wouldn't even be needed to do something like that, as any other external AC power source or charger could do the same thing, if given enough juice.. right/

LordKano

You guys dismiss SMD's videos way too much. Forget he's the one making the videos. Nobody likes him and he still has his own agenda, but this is coming from Nico who has gotten things right.

He says Red Dead Redemption 2 is coming and the Switch is as powerful as the PS4 when docked.

That would mean there are parts in that dock and there's no way in hell its going to cost $250 I fell unless he way saying there's an attachment you can add to the dock to make the Switch as powerful as the PS4.

I haven't watch the whole video to know how it was worded. It's still interesting because Nico got some things right and Nico did say that Mario sports game for 3DS was coming to Switch also.

That just means Nico is even more an unrealiable source than I though.
We already have enough reliable insiders who told us about what to expect for the Switch spec-wise. It's not a PS4.

EDarkness

Nintendo wouldn't be in the wrong, if simply connecting the Switch to a power supply ups the clock speed like it does for laptops. In that case, the dock wouldn't even be needed to do something like that, as any other external AC power source or charger could do the same thing, if given enough juice.. right/

Well, I think they mentioned that there wouldn't be a dockless NS sold. This may mean that the dock is required to get the extra power out of it. I can't imagine that they'd go through the trouble of creating the dock if it didn't do anything. Probably why the system doesn't have an HDMI out on it directly. To get it connected to a TV, it'll need the dock which upclocks, powers, and provides the connection to the TV.

Tregard

Soothsayer
I'm sorry that I didn't get any question up yesterday because of few reasons. Now I'm back with someone's question. Huge thanks to Skittzo0413.

zex5oKs.png

What kind of connections do you expect between the Switch and Nintendo's mobile games/My Nintendo reward program?

I'm expecting some sort of ability to use a smartphone as a controller for supported titles, a la Jackbox Party Pack.

I can't imagine that they'd go through the trouble of creating the dock if it didn't do anything. Probably why the system doesn't have an HDMI out on it directly.
Making the switch as painless as possible seems the goal. No fiddling around with multiple cables every time you want to go to or from TV.

I'm sorry that I didn't get any question up yesterday because of few reasons. Now I'm back with someone's question. Huge thanks to Skittzo0413.

zex5oKs.png

I don't see any reason or point to have Nintendo's mobile games playable on the Switch, or to have a smartphone usable as a controller or remote for the Switch or anything, but what I do expect to see is:

-My Nintendo rewards pushed very aggressively on mobile games. This will be part of Nintendo's campaign to "convert" mobile users- I'm imagining something like, spend $X on FE mobile and get X% off of FE Switch, or additionally reach level X in Mario Run and get X% off Super Mario World on the Switch VC. Things that will make mobile users feel at least partially invested in buying a Switch device or Switch software, as though they feel it's going to be a waste not to use the discount.

-I'm hoping My Nintendo rewards will also be obtained through Switch games. Instead of, say, meaningless trophy rewards, you can get platinum/gold coins for reaching certain milestones in games, which would encourage users to purchase more software the more they play the software they have. Win-win for Nintendo and the consumer.

Wow u guys have no hope lol

Ehh I love to discuss about rumors and speculate.. But I'm not expecting ps4 specs at launch. Not many people think its feasible to have ps4 specs with a decent battery life and at an affordable price.

Likely in an iteration a few years from now though is possible. You don't want to get burned with high expectations.

-My Nintendo rewards pushed very aggressively on mobile games. This will be part of Nintendo's campaign to "convert" mobile users- I'm imagining something like, spend $X on FE mobile and get X% off of FE Switch, or additionally reach level X in Mario Run and get X% off Super Mario World on the Switch VC. Things that will make mobile users feel at least partially invested in buying a Switch device or Switch software, as though they feel it's going to be a waste not to use the discount.
Ahaha. Yeah, this does seem to fit right in with their goals.

What reason is there to have hope for that? People have vouched for Emily Rogers credibility when it comes to Switch rumors and she's said that in terms of power it'll struggle to even hit Xbox One levels. So, to go from struggling to hit Xbox One levels to being as powerful as the PS4 when docked is a pretty sizable upgrade. Until the specs are announced I guess it's always a possibility. But we really don't have any credible rumors to point toward that right now. It seems like more of a hope than anything. Especially now that we're seeing the rumored pricepoint. A platform that's both a console and portable, as powerful as the PS4, sold for $250 and Nintendo is still able to turn a profit?

Hoo-doo

Banned
Blows my mind that some of you are still watching the shit that SuperMetalDave64 puts out. Dude is straight up coasting on Nintendo fans being desperate at this point, don't take that guy seriously.

J@hranimo

Banned
Blows my mind that some of you are still watching the shit that SuperMetalDave64 puts out. Dude is straight up coasting on Nintendo fans being desperate at this point, don't take that guy seriously.

He isn't really bad. If you don't take his stuff as fact and aren't an anal person for video game discussion then it's cool.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder when Nintendo will announce more details on the Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017. The press release on October 26 said this:

The exact time of the Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017 will be announced through Nintendo’s social media channels in the coming weeks. Last week, Nintendo Switch was first revealed in a video, available at http://www.nintendo.com/switch.
Source: http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/nintendo-reveals-plans-for-nintendo-switch-presentation

Considering media will be invited, they need to communicate their plans at least a few weeks ahead of the event.

Jesus...

HylianTom

Banned
Rösti;225533604 said:
I wonder when Nintendo will announce more details on the Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017. The press release on October 26 said this:

Source: http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/nintendo-reveals-plans-for-nintendo-switch-presentation

Considering media will be invited, they need to communicate their plans at least a few weeks ahead of the event.

I've been wondering similarly, from a consumer perspective.

For the Wii U reveal event in September 2012, preorders opened as soon as it was over. No warning whatsoever was given to consumers that preorders were starting immediately after the event - it was pretty much a surprise!-hurry-to-the-store situation.

For this reveal event, we might have a situation where it's too late in the day on January 12th in North America for stores to start taking preorders, so preorders might begin at the open of business on the 13th.

I hope we know something specific soon.

Roo

So realistic expectations = no hope? Got it.
Rösti;225533604 said:

I'm going to say they will announce all the details the first half of december.
Past December 10th to be more precise.
I won't lie tho, I completely forgot they didn't announce the exact time of the event.

At this point I'm actively rooting AGAINST a powerful PS4 level Switch. All that's gonna do is jack prices up and decrease consumer demand. Give me a serviceable portable that can run downscaled AAA games decently well for $250-300 and I'm good.

TriBlade

Games can run better when docked.

PS4 equivalent is laughable.

That doesn't mean it won't have PS4 games, though, just scaled down.

Edit: Also SMD openly lies so I wouldn't trust anything he says about where he got his information. He was one of the sources feeding people leaks he made up.

Games can run better when docked.

PS4 equivalent is laughable.

That doesn't mean it won't have PS4 games, though, just scaled down.

Edit: Also SMD openly lies so I wouldn't trust anything he says about where he got his information. He was one of the sources feeding people leaks he made up.

I don't think he lies. He had sources that he trusted greatly, and when he was wrong about he whole AMD thing after the switch reveal, he apologized for it, and he was really careful after the Switch reveal about his confidence in rummors. What he just posted from Nico is a rumor of course, and He's not saying its true.

At this point I'm actively rooting AGAINST a powerful PS4 level Switch. All that's gonna do is jack prices up and decrease consumer demand. Give me a serviceable portable that can run downscaled AAA games decently well for $250-300 and I'm good.

If it its 300, it's at a great price.

Anyways, unlikely to happen. In a few years, I definitely think a mid gen upgrade will happen.

There's next to no chance they're putting any internals in the dock while still keeping the machine cheap. If the Switch runs better in the dock, it's because it'll not have to run on battery so the processors can clock up.

I really wish I could just lurk on this thread without SMD popping up AGAIN.

Dude has no credibility anymore. Zero. You would think after being proven laughably wrong about NX people would learn not to listen to him, especially when the rumors he peddles openly contradict what people like Emily Rogers are saying.

This shouldn't even be a discussion at this point.

More directly on topic, Emily Rogers says it isn't quite XB1 level, and I'm willing to expect a little wiggle room in either direction of that estimate, but PS4 level power is not realistic based on the info available to us. Several tech savvy people have broken down why this is not feasible, even disregarding rumors.

Branduil

I don't think he lies. He had sources that he trusted greatly, and when he was wrong about he whole AMD thing after the switch reveal, he apologized for it, and he was really careful after the Switch reveal about his confidence in rummors.

As seen by him repeating an impossible rumor about the Switch's power.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm expecting our Miitomo Miis to be our Switch avatars and thus all those who stuck with it and got the good items will be of a superior class.

ggx2ac

I'm only saying this once since I don't want to make the discussion turn to shit.

I don't think he lies. He had sources that he trusted greatly, and when he was wrong about he whole AMD thing after the switch reveal, he apologized for it, and he was really careful after the Switch reveal about his confidence in rummors. What he just posted from Nico is a rumor of course, and He's not saying its true.

What? Other than that one source that boosted his popularity because it was a Nintendo insider, he then betrayed that said source. The only "source" SMD had then was HappyNintendoFan, him of all fucking people that would make up so much shit that people believed it without using any fucking critical thinking that it was no different to the shit that happened recently with the US election because of people that believed fake news on Facebook.

SMD is also the same guy that acted as his own source and told 10K that the NX would have Polaris. That is a huge red flag to his credibility after what has been revealed. SMD lived in an Ivory tower and ignored anyone that would challenge his claims, he would then mock anything relating to Nvidia or calling people salty just because he thought he was going to be right.

And even interacting with HNF was annoying, guy was such an arrogant cunt. He would get all defensive and run like a coward if you confronted him, and then on other days he would mock you behind your back. He didn't seem to understand what consequences meant when he whined about being insulted and unfollowed by his followers once the Switch had been revealed to use Nvidia when this guy was fanatical that the Switch would use a DMP M3000 for reasons that required mental gymnastics, aka The Tegra X1 was a placeholder.

Anyway, I'm glad that a lot of frauds were exposed because I haven't had to pay attention to them for a long time, SMD, HNF, PlayerEssence, Nintendoubted aka Rubyvolution, nwplayer123, etc etc

BY2K

Membero Americo
Seeing how well Sun and Moon are doing in the UK, Nintendo/TPC would be foolish NOT to do Pokémon Stars on Switch.

Seeing how well Sun and Moon are doing in the UK, Nintendo/TPC would be foolish NOT to do Pokémon Stars on Switch.

I think/hope that speaks more to Nintendo's strategy of synergizing mobile software with dedicated hardware and software. I doubt Mario Run/Animal Crossing/Fire Emblem will have as big of an effect as Pokemon just due to the brand power of Pokemon, but I truly think these games will have a very noticeable affect on Switch hardware and software sales.

Mega

Banned
Considering the way Nintendo handled releases of Amiibo, FE: Fates Special Edition, NES Mini and $99 N3DS, I'm now convinced they will not have a handle on supply when the Switch launches. Someone in another thread predicted Switch will be sold out for months and I personally believe that will be the case. Therefore I'm preordering for the first time ever as it seems this will be one of those uncommon instances where it will be absolutely necessary... otherwise I might find myself waiting for months or staring at $600 listings on eBay.

That in mind, which stores are likely to take preorders and which are the most reliable at fulfilling those preorders? Amazon? Best Buy? Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom