• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonFrog

So long as it leaves the propriety memory behind.

It'll be a "Give Aesculapius a cock" kind of death hopefully, not one where it is shackled to its earthly form as a maddened ghost.

Edit: Although games are very much a sight and sounds sort of thing, there is also something beyond that. But perhaps Vita will be reborn as a bird. Do birds have proprietary memory?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

While Rebirth's also out on New 3DS, they never updated on its chances of getting Afterbirth, aside from "outlook not good", while Wii U was announced it was going to get Afterbirth after the release on PS4/One, so...yeah, this is 99.9% the Switch version of the game.

Aaaand this fits with a rumour stated by Laura: I think she said she knew of major indie developer already having NX dev kits, someone who released a New 3DS-only game. Correct me if I'm wrong.

MAtgS

Vita was young and reckless just trying to make a little extra cash. We all make mistakes. We learn from them and move on. And so shall the Switch/PSP3.

sqAIWZpoExPsQ.gif

Peléo;225636021 said:
What are the odds the Switch gets Marvel Vs Capcom 4?
Barring some exclusivity deal I don't see why not. Capcom's a company that'll put Capcom vs SNK 2 on GameCube, Tatsunoko vs Capcom on Wii, and downgraded Street Fighter IV on 3DS. And a game with Marvel characters will probably appeal to a broader group of people than those.

Oh, I didn't realize they had to be on there simultaneously. I could see portals being connectable to the USB C port on the bottom of the Switch anyway.

Most definitely! If Lego Dimensions and Toys to Life games continue to be a thing, they would have plenty of solutions to make it work. Wireless seems like the best solution all around.

Maybe there's an NFC reader in the Joy-Con Grip? Otherwise it's probably on the left Joy-Con, they stuck the IR port(?) on the right Joy-Con, probably there's space on the left Joy-Con for an NFC reader?

Then with the Pro Controller I still expect that to be a simplified controller like the Wii U Pro Controller, just basic controls, no gyro controls. Don't want those console gamers to be angry about gimmicks. lol

I definitely agree with the idea of the Pro controller being simplified, though I personally hope it would at least have gyro controls.

As for the Joy-cons, I've come around to thinking that they're fairly basic. I'm now expecting them be plain-ol' controllers with IR emitters in the bottom. That way they can put Gyro/NFC in the Switch "console" and maybe also in the Joy-con Grip. At that point, they would potentially want to include the Joy-con Grip in the box though.

Most definitely! If Lego Dimensions and Toys to Life games continue to be a thing, they would have plenty of solutions to make it work. Wireless seems like the best solution all around.

I definitely agree with the idea of the Pro controller being simplified, though I personally hope it would at least have gyro controls.

As for the Joy-cons, I've come around to thinking that they're fairly basic. I'm now expecting them be plain-ol' controllers with IR emitters in the bottom. That way they can put Gyro/NFC in the Switch "console" and maybe also in the Joy-con Grip. At that point, they would potentially want to include the Joy-con Grip in the box though.

Laura Dale's rumor from a few months ago states that the joycons basically have all the motion sensing capability of the Wii motion + controllers (and hopefully more accurate) as well as a "next gen" rumble capability which is apparently similar to the HTC Vive controllers. So no, I don't think they are all that simple.

Laura Dale's rumor from a few months ago states that the joycons basically have all the motion sensing capability of the Wii motion + controllers (and hopefully more accurate) as well as a "next gen" rumble capability which is apparently similar to the HTC Vive controllers. So no, I don't think they are all that simple.

Well hot damn. I just looked that article up and I can't believe I either missed it or forgot about it. It really makes me wonder if we'll get NFC built into the Joy-Con controllers then. If so, the Joy-con Grip would seem to be the only "basic" part of the Joy-con setup. Is there anything left for it to do besides charge the controllers and give a more "traditional" controller feel?

Not that good, especially if what Sneakers hinted at is true & it's a PS4 [console] exclusive.

seriously? A PS4 console exclusive? Didn't heard that...

Well, it makes sense, SFV was such an incredible success.

Yeah, I would be disappointed and a little bit salty

I really hope rocket league comes to the switch and has the ability for local multiplayer + internet play.

I don't know about Rocket League but the NBA 2K game in the trailer had the wireless LAN multiplayer which I think will be a huge new feature with the Switch. I'm very excited for Mario Kart or Smash in that setup.

Well hot damn. I just looked that article up and I can't believe I either missed it or forgot about it. It really makes me wonder if we'll get NFC built into the Joy-Con controllers then. If so, the Joy-con Grip would seem to be the only "basic" part of the Joy-con setup. Is there anything left for it to do besides charge the controllers and give a more "traditional" controller feel?

I kind of doubt each joycon will have an NFC reader built in, so the grip might have that. But yeah, it seems to be just for charging and emulating a more standard control scheme.

I don't know about Rocket League but the NBA 2K game in the trailer had the wireless LAN multiplayer which I think will be a huge new feature with the Switch. I'm very excited for Mario Kart or Smash in that setup.

Nintendo cannot miss out on rocket league IMO... it has a massive online following and the game itself was born for the switch.. Play local multiplayer with friends on the go? Play over the internet with friends? DLC content specific to Nintendo franchises like mario and luigi hats , 1 up rocket trails, Mario Kart cars?

The game is begging to be on the Switch..

maxcriden

Nintendo cannot miss out on rocket league IMO... it has a massive online following and the game itself was born for the switch.. Play local multiplayer with friends on the go? Play over the internet with friends? DLC content specific to Nintendo franchises like mario and luigi hats / 1 up and fire ball rocket trails?

game is begging to be on the switch..
I completely agree. Just depends if Psyonix is interested and if NCL has heard of RL (since they don't talk much about other games it's hard to tell sometimes). Maybe NOA could make it happen though.

I completely agree. Just depends if Psyonix is interested and if NCL has heard of RL (since they don't talk much about other games it's hard to tell sometimes). Maybe NOA could make it happen though.

I am pretty sure NOA has heard of it and most likely has a department exploring third parties or indie studio relations. Psyonix may be exploring the possibility of going mobile at some point and this would be a great bridge for them. I think it all has to do with online scale because if they keep adding platforms that is more revenue for them.

Would be awesome to see blue falcon playing rocket league!

maxcriden

I am pretty sure NOA has heard of it and most likely has a department exploring third parties or indie studio relations. Psyonix may be exploring the possibility of going mobile at some point and this would be a great bridge for them. I think it all has to do with online scale because if they keep adding platforms that is more revenue for them.

Would be awesome to see blue falcon playing rocket league!

Oh, sorry to be unclear -- I didn't mean NOA may not have heard of it, just NCL. NOA absolutely has a department for indie relations and presumably for third parties also. I think if Psyonix wants to make it happen, it will definitely happen.

The part I think is unfortunately less likely though is Nintendo content in the game. Minecraft had that but it's one of the biggest games in the world. Nintendo almost never licenses their characters or allows their use in third party games, unless it is a Nintendo game developed by a third party (like Hyrule Warriors), especially in the previous two generations. So while I think RL is a possibility, I think Nintendo content being in the game would be moderately unlikely.

Oh, sorry to be unclear -- I didn't mean NOA may not have heard of it, just NCL. NOA absolutely has a department for indie relations and presumably for third parties also. I think if Psyonix wants to make it happen, it will definitely happen.

The part I think is unfortunately less likely though is Nintendo content in the game. Minecraft had that but it's one of the biggest games in the world. Nintendo almost never licenses their characters or allows their use in third party games, unless it is a Nintendo game developed by a third party (like Hyrule Warriors), especially in the previous two generations. So while I think RL is a possibility, I think Nintendo content being in the game would be moderately unlikely.

I think it would be to the level of Rayman Legends where you had mario and luigi uniforms. Also Nintendo has loosened up their POV on licensing their IP out alot since the death of Iwata (more so at the end of his management). They are going mobile , doing theme parks, doing more merch in stores. I think Nintendo realizes that they cant be as tight with merchandising their IP because it started getting to a point where they were no longer the norm in pop culture. They are starting to build it back up now which is why I think they did things like minecraft and so on. But you are right, the title has to matter a lot and in this case Rocket League has one of the largest online followings and the game concept itself is something Nintendo could have made themselves , which is why I think they would be open to it.

maxcriden

I think it would be to the level of Rayman Legends where you had mario and luigi uniforms. Also Nintendo has loosened up their POV on licensing their IP out alot since the death of Iwata (more so at the end of his management). They are going mobile , doing theme parks, doing more merch in stores. I think Nintendo realizes that they cant be as tight with merchandising their IP because it started getting to a point where they were no longer the norm in pop culture. They are starting to build it back up now which is why I think they did things like minecraft and so on. But you are right, the title has to matter a lot and in this case Rocket League has one of the largest online followings and the game concept itself is something Nintendo could have made themselves , which is why I think they would be open to it.

I see where you're coming from. I think the Rayman situation is still a bit different since UbiSoft wss one of the main Wii U parents and the game was originally intended to be an exclusive, but regardless of that you make good points and you absolutely could be right. I didn't realize RL was one of the largest online games. It seems like it could have huge success on Switch as well, as you said. Here's hoping it comes to the system!

PSGames

Not that good, especially if what Sneakers hinted at is true & it's a PS4 [console] exclusive.

Oh wow. Is there a link to this post? So first Spider-Man and now MvsC4 as PS4 exclusive? Does Marvel not care about their fans on other platforms?

I didn't realize RL was one of the largest online games. It seems like it could have huge success on Switch as well, as you said. Here's hoping it comes to the system!

From the most recently news release I found.

“Our numbers are actually going up, not down,” Psyonix vice president Jeremy Dunham tells me, “which is not very common for a game that’s ten months old.”

Over 15 million gamers have played Rocket League between July of last year and now, with over 5 million active players in April of this year alone.

I believe they have over 100k concurrent daily players if you count all platforms. The PC version is in the top 10 most concurrently played Steam games (With games like CS GO , Dota, and TF2)

boiled goose

good with gravy
Just got a 3ds.
It's amazing how many disjointed systems there are.

Miitomo miis. Wiiu miis. 3ds miis.
Silver coins. Gold coins. Miitomo coins. Play coins.
Nintendo account. My Nintendo. Pokemon trainer account.

Themes. Badges. Mii accessories in 3ds. In miitomo. Room decorations. Amiibo.

Miitomo friends. 3ds friends. Wiiu friends.

Miitomo missions. Nintendo missions. In game achievements.

Miiverse. Swapnote. Miitomo answer central.

All of these systems are fine but they are so disjointed and there's very little synergy...

Switch has to fix this....

Afterbirth Vita getting cancelled was such a kick in the balls.

Just FYI, it's not been cancelled:

http://bindingofisaac.com/post/152265548904/tyrone-thinks-hes-soooo-cool

PS Vita version
We still haven’t given up on this one, but it’s a VERY low priority. The optimization involved for acceptable performance is a big deal. The little Vita doesn’t like crazy weapon combos.

Seems unlikely though! (And will be superseded by Switch version soon).

Is the idea that Switch could have an FFXV port at launch totally absurd? For some reason, I feel compelled to wait until January to buy it, in case they announce a Switch port at the January event. I can't imagine it actually happening, though.

Sendou

Is the idea that Switch could have an FFXV port at launch totally absurd? For some reason, I feel compelled to wait until January to buy it, in case they announce a Switch port at the January event. I can't imagine it actually happening, though.

Not totally absurd I suppose. Wouldn't it be stranger if Switch didn't get any kind of big Japanese 3rd party title at launch?

LordKano

I doubt it. The Luminous Engine is a mess, Square Enix problably won't ever touch it again. It has been a development hell to simply put it on PS4 and Xbox One, so I really doubt the game will be released on any other console. Put your hopes on Final Fantasy VIIR, it has better chances.

Unfortunately I know plenty of people that could barely put that back per month

I bet they've got a big enough backlog that they could pull it off by putting stuff they never touch on Craigslist though.

Honestly, I'd be pretty surprised. There hasn't been a mainline Final Fantasy on a Nintendo system since FFVI on the SNES. And it doesn't seem like something that would easily scale down.

I do think they'll get the FF VII remake though.

I doubt it. The Luminous Engine is a mess, Square Enix problably won't ever touch it again. It has been a development hell to simply put it on PS4 and Xbox One, so I really doubt the game will be released on any other console. Put your hopes on Final Fantasy VIIR, it has better chances.

Technically it's a mess on PS4/Pro/XOne and will be on Switch too. Perhaps if it's true that Switch CPU is more powerful than PS4s it could help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom