• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch |DT2| No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness

Which of these definitely """real""" leaks are you most hyped for?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm kind of afraid to order from Amazon because of them being like "We've ran out of stock or expected more units" kind of thing. But I'd rather have it just show up at my door instead of wait in line at my local gamestop.

Amazon is being very restrictive with Switch pre-orders, so it seems like they have a general idea of how many units they'll have.

PSFan

I do remember hearing people were able to pre-order, but I was under impression that was a per store thing.

I think that's the same with every chain. Different stores do things differently. I usually go through Amazon, so I can get my stuff delivered right to my door on launch day and waiting for me when I get home from work.

I appreciate this! Thank you! I wonder if that means we'll see multiple SKU's or a retailer-exclusive kind of thing like with Amiibo. If I had to bet, I'd go with the latter.

I'd go with the former. Consoles are much different than amiibos.

I've heard to expect bundles at launch, but none of my sources will expand on that.

I appreciate this! Thank you! I wonder if that means we'll see multiple SKU's across the board or a retailer-exclusive kind of thing like with Amiibo. If I had to bet, I'd go with the latter.

Griss

I think the same for Smash 5.
Both games are perfected so much, they can only disappoint for the follow-up.

With both of those series, it's time to focus on the modes themselves rather than the gameplay, which is exactly where it needs to be.

Mario Kart simply needs a huge single player mode. Maybe Diddy Kong Racing style. Also a total rethink of battle mode. Smash Bros is harder as Subspace Emissary wasn't exactly well received.

I'd love to see the next Smash Bros after the Switch port start from scratch with a whole new gameplay style. Something like Pokken, maybe, which I really liked. There'll be no point to another similar Smash Bros on Switch if we get the Wii U version.

PMS341

This is first time Wal-Mart is doing a pre-order / pre-sell for a console. Wal-Mart threw money at Nintendo to get more quantity than GameStop. Also, GameStop and Nintendo relationship is currently on bad terms so that's why reduced quantity.

It's been this way for a long time. When Nintendo stopped giving away lots of free games/swag at their conferences (to the managers/higher-ups), something was definitely up then. This was ~4-5 years ago, but there was some sort of catalyst that changed things. I still remember marketing/displays/etc. being less Nintendo-heavy after the Wii U launch and it hasn't really been the same since. Half the store is owned by Microsoft, basically.

Coda

Amazon is being very restrictive with Switch pre-orders, so it seems like they have a general idea of how many units they'll have.

Cool, I'm signed up to receive a notification with them and Gamestop when pre-orders go live. I just want to get it on launch day and I've never got a console at launch with Amazon so I'm not sure how it works and if that's possible.

BizzyBum

Where is everyone going to do their pre-order? I don't want to wait for online shipping.

GameStop, Best Buy, somewhere else?

Surprised no one is worried about the fact that this is a live conference from Japan with english voiceovers. If Sony TGS conferences were any hint this is about to be awful

Plum

Surprised no one is worried about the fact that this is a live conference from Japan with english voiceovers. If Sony TGS conferences were any hint this is about to be awful

Considering TGS is a Japanese-focused event and this is a global event being advertised everywhere I think they'll put in a bit more effort into the translation.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Is Rösti still doing a separate keynote OT, or is this the thread?

The OT is made. He posted it earlier today and had a mod lock it until a bit before it starts as they weren't going to be awake to post it.

Oersted

It's been this way for a long time. When Nintendo stopped giving away lots of free games/swag at their conferences (to the managers/higher-ups), something was definitely up then. This was ~4-5 years ago, but there was some sort of catalyst that changed things. I still remember marketing/displays/etc. being less Nintendo-heavy after the Wii U launch and it hasn't really been the same since. Half the store is owned by Microsoft, basically.

Here its actually half Nintendo with all that merch

Having too much MS would be probably suicidal

Lgndryhr

I think that's the same with every chain. Different stores do things differently. I usually go through Amazon, so I can get my stuff delivered right to my door on launch day and waiting for me when I get home from work.

Generally yes it is. Also, may vary on if a store even gets enough quantity to pre-sell / pre-order. I do that through Best Buy now. I used to do that through Amazon. I took the 17th off this year to play my switch.

I appreciate this! Thank you! I wonder if that means we'll see multiple SKU's or a retailer-exclusive kind of thing like with Amiibo. If I had to bet, I'd go with the latter.

Not a problem. I honestly have no idea. Wish I knew more. We will know in about 8 hours.

I'd love to see the next Smash Bros after the Switch port start from scratch with a whole new gameplay style. Something like Pokken, maybe, which I really liked. There'll be no point to another similar Smash Bros on Switch if we get the Wii U version.

It ain't Smash Bros. if you move away from the platform fighter concept.

I wouldn't mind a change in direction that skewed the gameplay back to the more faster, technical depth of Melee all while fixing/retooling some of the really bad characters like Ganondorf and Zelda (I basically described Project M woo woo woo) but nothing ridiculous like making it into a 3D fighter or something. Might as well be taking Tekken and making it 2D.

gweemz

Cool, I'm signed up to receive a notification with them and Gamestop when pre-orders go live. I just want to get it on launch day and I've never got a console at launch with Amazon so I'm not sure how it works and if that's possible.

As far as Amazon goes, it will probably be up for 15 minutes once it goes live.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Where is everyone going to do their pre-order? I don't want to wait for online shipping.

Online if I preorder at all. Best Buy probably first choice (would rather have the GCU reward points), Amazon as second choice. If I decide to preorder I'd go with whichever popped up first though.

JB2448

For people that don't like the 45 second or so delay for YouTube live streams in comparison Twitch, but also have issues with the Twitch player in their web browser, I strongly suggest giving Streamlink Twitch GUI a try. Using this, you can play Twitch streams in your media player of choice (such as VLC, which works really well in my experience).

Using this for the presentation tonight at https://www.twitch.tv/nintendo should give you the best stream quality and consistency even if you have bad Internet. You can use the command line utility for the North American presentation stream at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuC4YLLkqME if Twitch itself goes down in some sort of apocalyptic flame tonight, too (or if you still want to use YouTube despite the delay).

Hopefully a few GAFfers that tried it on Discord can also weigh in with their experience with it.

Plum

So I'm wondering. Has anyone whose put in a deposit for an in-store preorder (for a console launch ofc) been refused or been told they can't get one when it comes time for launch? Just want to know how prevalent it is.

Ideally an online Best Buy order with in-store pickup.

If not that, then Walmart or GameStop, depending on which store is more practical for in-store pre-orders once they open.

And if neither of those is viable, or if pre-orders open earlier online, I'll finally buy a Prime subscription and go through Amazon.

Anth0ny

The people on stage will be reading off a teleprompter.

The voice over will be reading a translated version of the same script.

it shouldn't be too bad

Lgndryhr

Yea when I worked for GS I too noticed a decrease in wall real estate for Nintendo and increase for Microsoft. I assumed this was due to a strained relationship. I also remember hearing from a few managers that Nintendo pretty much cut out all free stuff at the GS conference. Nintendo and GS relationship got worse after Wii U I am told.

This is first time Wal-Mart is doing a pre-order / pre-sell for a console. Wal-Mart threw money at Nintendo to get more quantity than GameStop. Also, GameStop and Nintendo relationship is currently on bad terms so that's why reduced quantity.

I preordered my Wii U at WalMart. Same setup with the Layaway counter, there was a similar info sheet at the time. This is not their first pre-order for a console (not even for a Nintendo console,) I don't buy that part of the rumor.

vgamer1

So I'm wondering. Has anyone whose put in a deposit for an in-store preorder (for a console launch ofc) been refused or been told they can't get one when it comes time for launch? Just want to know how prevalent it is.

Happened to me with the Game Boy Advance SP.

reKon

Banned
I'm pretty hyped....

Hyped enough to finally:

1) Download Dolphin 5 on my PC
2) Pull out the Wii Controllers I had packed away in a box for a long while
3) Purchase a Dolphin bar, Smash Bros Bros GC Controller and GC adapter on Amazon

My goal will be to play though some of these single player games that I've missed until the Switch releases.

Namely, SMG2 (I've beaten SMG), DKCR, and a few others...

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Does Nintendo even need Mario Kart 9? They could just sell season passes for 5 years.

I'd be all for the game as service approach for MK and Smash personally. Splatoon as well if they go full MP only with it (other than the existing SP campaign of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom