• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch |DT2| No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness

Which of these definitely """real""" leaks are you most hyped for?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, was told by one of my NOA contacts that this launch is being handled very differently than previous launches for some odd reason. They are trying their best to get back to their roots this go around. That's the word internally anyways.
This tells us nothing. Could say that about most launches and it means Jack all.

SuperSah

Banned
Anyone else excited to see the OS?

I'm that rare guy who loves Nintendo's OSes, from the Wii to the 3DS to the Wii U. The only problem with the Wii U's was its speed and the fact that settings were silo'd off into their own 'app' kind of deal. Other than that I loved it. The Miiverse-enabled home screen was just comfy Nintendo genius. You felt good every time you booted the system up and saw all these happy avatars rushing to the game of their choice.

Really looking forward to seeing what they put together this time.

Yeah, I am! I mean, Nintendo doesn't do much special with their OS' at all, but it'll be nice to see how it'll work on Switch.

bomblord1

Banned
I live in a pretty bog-standard mid-sized town. Called Gamestop about their hours tomorrow and they do open at the normal time.

However, the guy on the phone said and I quote he expects "an unbelievable" number of people to be there for pre-orders.

I'm that rare guy who loves Nintendo's OSes, from the Wii to the 3DS to the Wii U. The only problem with the Wii U's was its speed and the fact that settings were silo'd off into their own 'app' kind of deal. Other than that I loved it. The Miiverse-enabled home screen was just comfy Nintendo genius. You felt good every time you booted the system up and saw all these happy avatars rushing to the game of their choice.

Me! This is one of the things I am most curious about!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Also, was told by one of my NOA contacts that this launch is being handled very differently than previous launches for some odd reason. They are trying their best to get back to their roots this go around. That's the word internally anyways.

In what capacity do you have NOA contacts?

JB2448

Quoting this because of how quickly the topic is moving:
For people that don't like the 45 second or so delay for YouTube live streams in comparison Twitch, but also have issues with the Twitch player in their web browser, I strongly suggest giving Streamlink Twitch GUI a try. Using this, you can play Twitch streams in your media player of choice (such as VLC, which works really well in my experience).

Using this for the presentation tonight at https://www.twitch.tv/nintendo should give you the best stream quality and consistency even if you have bad Internet. You can use the command line utility for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuC4YLLkqME if Twitch itself goes down in some sort of apocalyptic flame tonight, too (or if you still want to use YouTube despite the delay).

Hopefully a few GAFfers that tried it on Discord can also weigh in with their experience with it.

Lgndryhr

You're correct. It's really just "business as usual" for Gamestop. Marketing, profits, etc. Some weird stuff was going on right around the PS4/XB1 launch, where you had an excess of marketing towards the XB1, Gamestop TV wouldn't shut up about it, "from-the-top" orders not to compare the two consoles, all that fun stuff. I suppose it makes a bit of sense - remember Nancy Tellem from E3 2013?

TzTEKYP.jpg

She is the onetime entertainment and digital media president of Microsoft and an ex-president of CBS, which again, owns Gamestop TV. I'm sure there were more than a few handshakes.

Meanwhile, Nintendo is at the back of a lot of the higher-ups' minds. I went to quite a few regional meetings that really shocked me at times (maybe it shouldn't have).

Yep. People don't realize that companies buy wall real estate at GameStop. Yea I remember hearing that from a now ex-GS store manager. I am not shocked based on that info. I wasn't aware of that about Nancy.

Yea GS has put Nintendo at the back of the line for a lot since the WIi U. It didn't generate revenue like Wii so they pushed it aside.

Is the conference going to be on YouTube??

Yes check the first post for links at this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1333086

Coda

I'm super interested in seeing the OS. I just hope they ditch the square icons style with something new and fresh to use. I want a sleek menu system that's unlike anything else out there currently, but distinctly still very Nintendo.

Dreavus

I have to agree. Even seeing people's generally overly-optimistic play journal posts pop up there was pretty fun. I just wish miiverse booted up faster, I'd use it WAY more if it was quicker.

I've been getting into Nintendo Land just recently and I like their hub for the same reason. It's fun seeing what other people have to say and popping in on people's progress.

-Horizon-

I just need it to be quick and snappy and not look like the ps4 or x1 main menu.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Stopped by my local GameStop to get a feel.

I got this from a dude that always checks me out and the manager.

They hadn't gotten allotment emails yet.

They said a metric FUCK TON of people want one though as people have been calling and coming in all week.

Manager said for reference their store got 13 NES Classics in Wave 1.

They open at 10 be prepared to camp out early if you really want a preorder. The usual $50 down for reservation.

Nothing majorly new, but figured I'd stop in and ask.

I never got D5 on PS4, so I'm all in for a D5 Complete for Switch. Vita isn't viable, so Switch is the only realistic option for the inevitable portable/definitive version anyway.

AdanVC

Quoting this because of how quickly the topic is moving:

Wow this is ultra useful! I'm always a YouTube user when it comes to streams but the delay in it truly kills the surprises when I see twitter flooding with news I still haven't seen on the stream because it's 1 or 2 minutes delayed so will definitely check this out! Thank you!

Stopped by my local GameStop to get a feel.

I got this from a dude that always checks me out and the manager.

They hadn't gotten allotment emails yet.

They said a metric FUCK TON of people want one though as people have been calling and coming in all week.

Manager said for reference their store got 13 NES Classics in Wave 1.

They open at 10 be prepared to camp out early if you really want a preorder. The usual $50 down for reservation.

Nothing majorly new, but figured I'd stop in and ask.

Of course they said that.... Normal GameStop protocol everything will sell out preorder now or get here early...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
You're correct. It's really just "business as usual" for Gamestop. Marketing, profits, etc. Some weird stuff was going on right around the PS4/XB1 launch, where you had an excess of marketing towards the XB1, Gamestop TV wouldn't shut up about it, "from-the-top" orders not to compare the two consoles, all that fun stuff. I suppose it makes a bit of sense - remember Nancy Tellem from E3 2013?

TzTEKYP.jpg

She is the onetime entertainment and digital media president of Microsoft and an ex-president of CBS, which again, owns Gamestop TV. I'm sure there were more than a few handshakes.

Meanwhile, Nintendo is at the back of a lot of the higher-ups' minds. I went to quite a few regional meetings that really shocked me at times (maybe it shouldn't have).

GameStop TV is not owned by CBS, it's owned by GameStop. The programming is developed by what used to be called CBS Outdoor, which wasn't CBS's TV division, it was CBS's billboard and outdoor advertising division. That has nothing to do with CBS Television, which is what Nancy Tellem was the president of. Nancy Tellem wasn't hired in an advertising or gaming capacity in Microsoft; she was hired specifically for the television and film imprint Xbox Entertainment Studios, which had nothing to do with gaming at all and I don't think had any connection to promotional campaigns for the Xbox One--she mostly hired people who were in development at other TV studios.

This seems like a weird conspiracy theory you'd see posted on a soon-to-be-banned subreddit.

Here's an easier explanation for the phenomenon "There were a lot of ads for Xbox One on GameStop TV" -> "All of the air time on GameStop TV is for sale and Microsoft bought a bunch of ads". It doesn't involve a secret web of connected executives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom