• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch |DT2| No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness

Which of these definitely """real""" leaks are you most hyped for?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If there's anyone I trust less it's Gamestop, I don't want to pre-order with them because I just have a feeling I'll get screwed one way or another. Amazon is my plan but I know that once it goes live, it won't be long until all their pre-orders have been taken.
I've never been screwed over by GS (Tho its been awhile since I ordered anything big) so I'll take my chances for instore preorder since I have many GS credit. Hopefully it all goes all right.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Minus the area code, that is a legit number in my state for a plumber: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okwfQTd1OOg
2aeeae6aac32ad71b368cbee26a3d779bc9243fb44c1e5f759cf7e510f0a84b4.jpg

So you US people who are calling Gamestops, are you getting confirmations that they're actually taking preorders at open? I don't mind getting up at 630 to sit outside a Gamestop, but I'll be damned if I'm spending my day off getting up almost as early as I get up for work on the chance that they're taking preorders.
Yes told preorders will be taken.

DannyCool

What kind of spoilers are you hoping to avoid while also getting info? Lol. The price is gonna be in thread titles I assure you.

Haha the game announcements of course, i just wanna watch the presentation without knowing in advance :)

(Thanks for the replys, i'll try going straight to the direct link and not look at sidebars)

Called my local Gamestop out of curiousity. No information on pre-orders at all. They claim they won't know if they can even do pre-orders until tomorrow. Goddamn man... I might just go for an Amazon order and be done with it.

I'll still swing by in the morning and scope things out. I'm too neurotic to rely on just one retailer.

oti

Banned
Ok, time for final predictions with explanations. Keep in mind, I've been saying some of this stuff for days/weeks now. I'm not an insider, just my observations and what I feel like Nintendo will do.

- Nintendo will focus on the launch period with some hints for the future, don't expect to see everything.
- Nintendo's focus is offline co-op fun with friends, it's absolutely vital to Nintendo that Switch appeals to kids, they hope kids will play together with their friends on Switch thanks to the included Joy-Con. You may not like this but this will be the centre point of Nintendo's messaging.
- The controllers will rumble in some kind of new and innovative way, I got this idea from LKD's leak about the Rabbits X Mario RPG leak that described how Rabbids would infiltrate one's game through the controllers, that sounds like rumble but some kind of new rumble to me. After the 4chan leak I think it makes even more sense. It talks about some kind of money safe cracking game. How about feeling the right combination of numbers with the new rumble?
- Motion controls, Just Dance has them and Link is right-handed again.
- Splatoon 2 is a sequel and not a port, Mario Kart and Smash can get away being ports but not Splatoon, which is a new franchise, has some fan base building to do and I can't imagine Nintendo being done with the gameplay of Splatoon. I expect fresh gameplay mechanics and modes. It's also the pillar of Nintendo's eSports strategy. Launch game and so is Zelda.
- Mario Odyssey launches in the Holidays, trailer and playable demo at the event. Just doesn't make much sense to launch with Zelda, Splatoon and Mario.
- The 4chan leak is real, it confirms the minigame collection and sports game I speculated about and lists playable demos at a Europen event. Nothing on that list is outlandish. I know people see SF2 on that list and think otherwise, but the series' Anniversary is coming up so it makes sense. Same for Bomberman, which I was speculating about just a few days ago. Even in its current shape that makes sense for Konami. I also know that people might feel slightly disappointed by that list but Nintendo has got a lot to prove to the market with the Switch. If it turns out to succeed in what it sets out to do, third parties will follow. And again, there will be more at the event than this 4chan list.
- Mario X Rabbids I did expect to see at launch, but not seeing it on the 4chan list makes me question that. I thought being a launch game would make perfect sense for exposure, which is Ubisoft's goal with the Rabbids here, but maybe they're afraid people will only buy Zelda and Splatoon.
- Skyrim is not a launch game, that was always an odd assumption since Zelda is a launch game.
- No idea about price, hardware, battery life and that stuff. I'm just speculating here, baseless speculation for stuff like this is pointless.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
One thing I would like Nintendo to do - be crystal clear that this will be their singular focus for the coming cycle. No third pillar-ing, that this is it, the one console, handheld and home, for this cycle. (If they have been explicit about that already, any links would be handy...I've been taking it on faith that this will be the case, but confirmation from Nintendo is something I want to see)

Harpoon

We have no idea what it's like outside a vague description, that's why lol.

If it gets shown off and it looks really good, then more people will probably be interested in it.

While I still really doubt this guy is trustworthy or this game even exists, he did say a tiny bit more about it in the original 4chan thread.

Arms has a multitude of colourful characters; a green ninja, a purple mummy, plus more. They all look like W101 characters, but with elongated arms. Ninja has chains for arms. Looks like its based around a ring (either wrestling or boxing).

KodaRuss

This might be the first Nintendo home console I buy in a long time. I hope Nintendo delivers some good stuff tonight. Hopefully the hype during/after the conference is somewhere between people running to play Zelda at E3 and NeoGaf shutting down because of too much traffic.

Talking about the OS again, I'll mention my impossible dream for the UI one last time...

Digital physical ownership.

As in, the pleasure of owning physical games and devices, but digitally. Digital representations of the physical items. So when you scroll your digital game collection, you can scroll by 3D boxes with the proper box art. You can click on a box and see the cartridge / disc etc. Scan an amiibo and it appears permanently on a 'shelf' in part of the OS. So on and so forth.

Sound crazy? Well if you hacked your Wii back in the day, the USB Loader GX had a UI that was very similar to this and it was absolutely amazing, and I've wanted it ever since. Scrolling through all these beautiful box arts, then seeing the actual disc art when you selected a game... I loved it and it made me feel like I wasn't missing out by going digital. (Of course, I actually DID have the physical versions of those games in a box somewhere, but with the Switch I won't.)

Almost a 0% chance of this happening, even if it might help Amiibo sales.

I wouldn't say there is a 0% chance of that happening. PS4 essentially does this. It keeps your physical games in your library alongside all of your digital games, displaying them in the same manner. You still have to put the disc in to play the physical games, but it's nice to see them all up there together.

EDIT: Or, do you mean that you'd be able to install the physical Switch games and play them without the game card in? That, I definitely can't see happening.

I wouldn't say there is a 0% chance of that happening. PS4 essentially does this. It keeps your physical games in your library alongside all of your digital games, displaying them in the same manner. You still have to put the disc in to play the physical games, but it's nice to see them all up there together.

I'd love this for Amiibo, but I just don't see it happening for physical games on Switch. This only happens on PS4 due to the need to install games before they can be played.

1337Sauce

I tried to stop myself from thinking up dream scenarios all day at work...but then my mind stumbled upon the faint hope of The World Ends With You 2. That would be the biggest announcement ever for me...even though the chances of it happening at all would be essentially zero.

LordKano

For people that don't like the 45 second or so delay for YouTube live streams in comparison Twitch, but also have issues with the Twitch player in their web browser, I strongly suggest giving Streamlink Twitch GUI a try. Using this, you can play Twitch streams in your media player of choice (such as VLC, which works really well in my experience).

Using this for the presentation tonight at https://www.twitch.tv/nintendo should give you the best stream quality and consistency even if you have bad Internet. You can use the command line utility for the North American presentation stream at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuC4YLLkqME if Twitch itself goes down in some sort of apocalyptic flame tonight, too (or if you still want to use YouTube despite the delay).

Hopefully a few GAFfers that tried it on Discord can also weigh in with their experience with it.

Wanted to say thanks because I just installed that and tried with the AGDQ stream and it works wonderfully !!

Matbtz

Any idea for possible preorders possibility here in France ? Nothing indicates that preorders will be open on Amazon.fr, I guess I'll try there or maybe the Fnac also.

Griss

EDIT: Or, do you mean that you'd be able to install the physical Switch games and play them without the game card in? That, I definitely can't see happening.

No, I mean a 3d representation of game boxes, discs and cartridges on the screen. Nothing more than that - I'm talking about UI only. The PS4 does nothing like this - the games are represented by shitty tiles.

Rootbeer

Banned
Man I hope that Disgaea port is true, I really want Switch to have a lot of RPGs
With 3DS & Vita winding down, it will be the new default home for JRPGS I think, particularly those that would have went on those platforms (which is most of them these days... unless you count mobile, though I am wondering if ios/androids ports might also flourish on Switch)

Just one of the many reasons to want a Switch!

- Nintendo's focus is offline co-op fun with friends, it's absolutely vital to Nintendo that Switch appeals to kids, they hope kids will play together with their friends on Switch thanks to the included Joy-Con. You might not like this but this will be the centre point of Nintendo's messaging.

As a 40 years old tart, I welcome this feature with oppen arms, and think it will appeal to both kids and grown ups alike.
As an adult, the switch will alow me to bring the console with me and play with friends that don't have a console at home anymore (or at work, bars etc).
I think we'll see a lot of grown-up bringing the switch around to play Fifa, Nba or whatever popular sport games

Raet

Going to bed now. I just hope Mario or Smash 4 (I never had a Wii U) are released before June and I'm happy 1st party wise. The rest is an added bonus.

Any idea for possible preorders possibility here in France ? Nothing indicates that preorders will be open on Amazon.fr, I guess I'll try there or maybe the Fnac also.

Will start everywhere tomorrow, limited quantities here too :(
Will preorder at Amazon, Fnac and Micromania to secure my purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom