• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch |DT2| No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness

Which of these definitely """real""" leaks are you most hyped for?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kikorin

I hope they reveal games close to be released and maybe tease just one or two for the far future, I don't like approach of Sony and MS to reveal games that are even 2 years from the possibile release.

Oregano

Good old E3 2013, some games announced there still aren't released and maybe won't even release in 2017.

Don't forget the holy trinity from the year of dreams. A year and a half later we just have one and no sign when the other two will release.

Scrawnton

Good old E3 2013, some games announced there still aren't released and maybe won't even release in 2017.
this. I'm getting really tired of waiting up to two years (at least) for 90% of the games announced at Sony and Microsofts recent E3s. It's actually turning me off from their platforms.

DrWong

Between March and December 2012 Nintendo published/co-published around 20 retail games for WiiU/3DS in the US. And it was a bad year in term of software output.

Switch will have Nintendo full support like never before, + all their 3rd parties handheld exclusives and what they'll get from their usual western partners. There won't be any shortage in term of content for its first years in the market. So they won't need to save announcements because the games will come steadily and they'll have enough in the pipeline to please those asking for a blowout at the conference and those wanting them to save stuff for E3 and later. That's my take.

AGoodODST

So what do we think the Switch's share abilities will be?

Videos and images to Miiverse? Save to internal storage and upload to FB etc? Streaming?

Cannot wait to have a full go of Switch on Sunday and encounter the new stuff Nintendo has planned.

Cannot wait to speak to Nintendo guys about some *burning questions*

After I have recovered will give you all an honest opinion of how the Switch felt to play on.

I for one love the Wii u and its games and if I get even half of that experience then I am sold.

Wave race please

Mendrox

Just realized that this is the worst fucking time for us German people. Thank you Nintendo.

5:00 AM for us. I will die at work.

Sheroking

Why does Sony "win" E3 every year then?

I don't think they won 2004, 2006, 2010 or 2014. I'm sure Microsoft had at least a comparable showing a few of the years in-between.

Sony in recent years understands gamers and how to pace a show to generate maximum positive publicity. I'm pretty sure they "cracked the code" in 2013 when Microsoft served them a lay-up. It's clear Nintendo CAN put together the kind of reveal we want out of them, but they don't "get it" like Sony does. Could go either way.

Nintendo should only talk about games coming in the next several months and ignore 2018

I think everything until holidays 2017 is fine. Maybe one or two sneak peaks into 2018 but I definitely don't want them to focus on things that far away at all.

I think their E3's have been pretty fucking boring for a long time to be honest.

Just realized that this is the worst fucking time for us German people. Thank you Nintendo.

ayy, I don't even remember the last time I've used my alarm clock buy I will for this.

SuperPoncho

Neo Member
Cannot wait to have a full go of Switch on Sunday and encounter the new stuff Nintendo has planned.

Cannot wait to speak to Nintendo guys about some *burning questions*

After I have recovered will give you all an honest opinion of how the Switch felt to play on.

I for one love the Wii u and its games and if I get even half of that experience then I am sold.

Wave race please

Any way you can share some of your burning questions?

orioto

Good Art™
I'm a little surprised by the accessory leak and the whole Zelda love in it.

It's pretty clear, from that, that it's the biggest thing Nintendo has for now. So maybe we shouldn't expect big surprises for tomorrow, game wise, at least for launch.

There was discussion since E3 about Zelda being, smartly, or not, the focus. About Nintendo maybe communicating about it at E3 and with Fallon, so prominently, cause they didn't want to show something else.

But it seems, Zelda IS the console mother ship. Which means a lot of things, especially that the Switch is aiming at gamers, fully. That's a good thing. Is it the first Nintendo console with Zelda (a rather niche game somewhat, even if huge, it's still an aging ip) being the main focus at launch ?

It's really an heavy symbol i think cause Zelda is not Mario (even if Mario could be there to). Zelda is not the game you play easily, or share with the family. It's, especially this one, a core gamer fantasy, that you invest in pretty heavily.

Waji

I think everything until holidays 2017 is fine. Maybe one or two sneak peaks into 2018 but I definitely don't want them to focus on things that far away at all.

I think their e3's have been pretty fucking boring for a long time to be honest.
They don't even need to focus on anything since they stillhave 2 months after for that.
Just throw the basics as well as tons of juicy trailers and announcement.
I also don't like more than 2 years aways games, but anything believed to be released in 2018 is ok, it's just 1 year away !

And It's the not the Wii U anymore, they should have enough game to show later without holding back so much.

Scrawnton

I don't think they won 2004, 2006, 2010 or 2014. I'm sure Microsoft had at least a comparable showing a few of the years in-between.

Sony in recent years understands gamers and how to pace a show to generate maximum positive publicity. I'm pretty sure they "cracked the code" in 2013 when Microsoft served them a lay-up.

So Sony is winning because they know how to bait and switch their fans wth hype? PS4 won because of third parties and Sony promising hopes and dreams. It's perfectly reflective for the hype based society gaming lives in now. They just want to feel like something is good on the horizon*.

And I do not excuse Nintendo for it. They did the same thing with Zelda and Xenoblade. It's exhausting being hyped for a game for two plus years while it suffers delays.

*pun partially intended because Sony dangled that game for nearly two years in front of their fanbase's eyes.

oti

Banned

It's pretty clear, from that, that it's the biggest thing Nintendo has for now. So maybe we shouldn't expect big surprises for tomorrow, game wise.

There was discussion since E3 about Zelda being, smartly, or not, the focus. About Nintendo maybe communicating about it at E3 and with Fallon, so prominently, cause they didn't want to show something else.

But it seems, Zelda IS the console mother ship. Which means a lot of things, especially that the Switch is aiming at gamers, fully. That's a good thing. Is it the first Nintendo console with Zelda (a rather niche game somewhat, even if huge, it's still an aging ip) being the main focus at launch ?

Have you ever seen any Nintendo Land merchandise?

Less pressing as it is, when do you think Nintendo will give release dates for the 3DS projects slated for this year? (Ever Oasis, Pikmin, etc.)

They won't want to take attention away from the Switch pre-launch.

Vuze

It's not that bad. 2am-4am would be horrible, 5am is managable. For me anyway since I gotta get up at 6 :v
I just hope the pres isn't too long and pre-orders are up right after (provided their launch lineup can convince me).

Sheroking

So Sony is winning because they know how to bait and switch their fans wth hype? PS4 won because of third parties and Sony promising hopes and dreams. It's perfectly reflective for the hype based society gaming lives in now. They just want to feel like something is good on the horizon*.

And I do not excuse Nintendo for it. They did the same thing with Zelda and Xenoblade. It's exhausting being hyped for a game for two plus years while it suffers delays.

*pun partially intended because Sony dangled that game for nearly two years in front of their fanbase's eyes.

Well, Nintendo gets a lot of heat for not showing the next Zelda off - so I think they kind of have to develop that game in the open. Xenoblade X and Tokyo Mirage were products of a panic Nintendo Direct where Nintendo felt they needed to generate interest by unloading the coffers. Even now people remember the January 2013 Direct as a stand-out event for Nintendo, because they opted to reveal so many surprising and happy things.

Having said that, Nintendo likes to announce games within a year of launch. It's generally their preference. We're likely to see it again with Mario Switch.

Meanwhile Sony will throw together a CG trailer for Last of Us 2, in spite of it being in development for less than 6 months, and string along the hype until it's release. They'll buy early Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy VII trailers, in spite of them not being exclusives, to leverage the announcement hype for their events - even though they're 3-4 years out.

They understand that good publicity and gamer endorphins during announcements and events like this one goes a long way to having a general, positive impression with gamers and fans. It doesn't matter that they won't play Shenmue 3 for 4 years or will be able to play it on PC - all that matters is Sony "gave" it to them during E3.

Rambone

Unfff so excited. Last Nintendo console I owned was the SNES but I had at least a DS handheld. Not excited about Mario games but the new Zelda game makes my panties moist. I think now is a good time to join Club Nintendo.

Scrawnton

Well, Nintendo gets a lot of heat for not showing the next Zelda off - so I think they kind of have to develop that game in the open. Xenoblade X and Tokyo Mirage were products of a panic Nintendo Direct where Nintendo felt they needed to generate interest by unloading the coffers. Even now people remember the January 2013 Direct as a stand-out event for Nintendo, because they opted to reveal so many surprising and happy things.

Having said that, Nintendo likes to announce games within a year of launch. It's generally their preference. We're likely to see it again with Mario Switch.

Meanwhile Sony will throw together a CG trailer for Last of Us 2, in spite of it being in development for less than 6 months, and string along the hype until it's release. They'll buy early Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy VII trailers, in spite of them not being exclusives, to leverage the announcement hype for their events - even though they're 3-4 years out.

They understand that good publicity and gamer endorphins during announcements and events like this one goes a long way to having a general, positive impression with gamers and fans. It doesn't matter that they won't play Shenmue 3 for 4 years or will be able to play it on PC - all that matters is Sony "gave" it to them during E3.

So Sony's E3 presentations are like those good lookin girls you see in public with a bunch of attractive make up, but when you get to know them and see them without heir makeup you get the sense of "I didn't sign up for this...."

Bazry

I'd rather it be 5am than 4am like here in the UK. At least at 5am if its on for a few hours you're then up ready for work, at 4am theres going to be a period afterwards where I won't know whether to go back to sleep for an hour or just stay up and be tired all day

Sheroking

So Sony's E3 presentations are like those good lookin girls you see in public with a bunch of attractive make up, but when you get to know them and see them without heir makeup you get the sense of "I didn't sign up for this...."

No, Sony's E3 presentations are like those good looking girls who give you a handy on your first date, makes you fall for them, but won't sleep with you for like 3 years.

Microsoft's E3 conferences are like that ex that keeps coming back into your life, giving you the same shit in an endless cycle. And then leaving with your furniture.

Nintendo Directs and E3's are a completely blind date. Could be the fugliest girl you've ever seen, or all your dreams come true. Usually the fugly one though.

I'd rather it be 5am than 4am like here in the UK. At least at 5am if its on for a few hours you're then up ready for work, at 4am theres going to be a period afterwards where I won't know whether to go back to sleep for an hour or just stay up and be tired all day

It really is the in the dead zone. Too late for me to stay up these days, doubtful I'll be able to comfortably get up early, regardless of an early night. No work for me on friday so I think I'll just sleep, get up, see the boy off to school, then settle down in front of the tv around 9:30 and watch it all. When is it the treehouse stuff begins?

I would rather get up early since I have work when the presentation happens at noon here. I am going to be sweating my pants inside the cubicle. That 1-hour wait till lunchtime will be tough.

Sheroking

Not CG but you didn't watch the trailer so, I don't know why I responded.

I loved the Last of Us, and I watched PSX live. It's nice if it's in-engine. That doesn't really alter my point in any way. It's still, by their own admission, a long ways out.

oti

Banned

If you play the game, play it right. E3 isn't just about what's coming out in the next 6 months. A Nintendo Direct or a press release are enough for that. E3 is about telling the audience where you are heading as a company and what kind of games you envision to release in the future. That's a balancing act between "this is what we realistically want it to look like" and "let's make it as shiny as possible". Ubisoft got that balance wrong and the Ubisoft downgrade meme was born. Whatever they show, people will question it. Same with Microsoft. Whatever they show people will wonder whether they'll cancel it. Same rules for Sony. Next time they'll try to sell an indie game like AAA experience on their stage people won't trust them.

To me it's pretty simple when it comes to Nintendo and E3. Either compete with Sony at "winning E3" and go all out or ignore E3 in its entirety. Community events are cool too.

This is a great time in my opinion tho I'm biased cause I wake up around 5-6am regardless. You have plenty of time to watch the conference, read impressions, and get ready for work. Sounds like a nice way to wake up to me!

L.O.R.D

i think i found the perfect gif for "salty" reaction

please tell me if i should remove it or not,i don't want to get banned

lZDebKf.gif

13ruce

Banned

It's pretty clear, from that, that it's the biggest thing Nintendo has for now. So maybe we shouldn't expect big surprises for tomorrow, game wise, at least for launch.

It's really an heavy symbol i think cause Zelda is not Mario (even if Mario could be there to). Zelda is not the game you play easily, or share with the family. It's, especially this one, a core gamer fantasy, that you invest in pretty heavily.

While i agree there is something that should be mebtioned Twilight Princess sold around 8.5m copies and it was a launch title.

I am sure thats why Nintendo wants it as a launch title again since skyward sword sold like half of TP.

Sure Mario might reach 10+m units and breath of the wild around 7 or 8m but thats very good for a Zelda mainline title when Wind Waker Majoras Mask and Skyward Sword were around 3m.

So it's very good for the Zelda series to be a launch title it certainly helps the IP to stay healthy for Nintendo. And it being a new taje with the full ooen world and new gameplay options helps aswell.

Good Morning all! I can't believe we're so damn close!

I'm still fully convinced that we aren't getting more than 32Gb of internal memory on the Switch. I did some research on smart devices and tablets and the price just seems to jump considerably past that. If we got even a 64Gb machine, it wouldn't seem profitable for them to sell that along with a game for just $50 more. Thoughts? Do we have any other information to suggest otherwise?

Scrawnton

No, Sony's E3 presentations are like those good looking girls who give you a handy on your first date, makes you fall for them, but won't sleep with you for like 3 years.

Microsoft's E3 conferences are like that ex that keeps coming back into your life, giving you the same shit in an endless cycle. And then leaving with your furniture.

Nintendo Directs and E3's are a completely blind date. Could be the fugliest girl you've ever seen, or all your dreams come true. Usually the fugly one though.

That's actually a perfect analogy. I would add for nintendo though that when they're fugly they're also super nice with a good personality and it kind of makes you feel bad that you're not interested sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom