• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch |DT2| No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness

Which of these definitely """real""" leaks are you most hyped for?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Good Morning all! I can't believe we're so damn close!

I'm still fully convinced that we aren't getting more than 32Gb of internal memory on the Switch. I did some research on smart devices and tablets and the price just seems to jump considerably past that. If we got even a 64Gb machine, it wouldn't seem profitable for them to sell that along with a game for just $50 more. Thoughts? Do we have any other information to suggest otherwise?

all is rumours. and..i mean it is not even 48 hours anymore. Let's wait!
either way micro-SD cards are luckily not that expensive.

i think i found the perfect gif for "salty" reaction

please tell me if i should remove it or not,i don't want to get banned

lZDebKf.gif
Oh yes, lol this guy has been becoming popular lmao.

Lets hope Bayo 3 is announced

Sheroking

While i agree there is something that should be mebtioned Twilight Princess sold around 8.5m copies and it was a launch title.

I am sure thats why Nintendo wants it as a launch title again since skyward sword sold like half of TP.

Sure Mario might reach 10+m units and breath of the wild around 7 or 8m but thats very good for a Zelda mainline title when Wind Waker Majoras Mask and Skyward Sword were around 3m.

So it's very good for the Zelda series to be a launch title it certainly helps the IP to stay healthy for Nintendo. And it being a new taje with the full ooen world and new gameplay options helps aswell.

Zelda has a unique power for Nintendo that other, better selling franchises do not have. It's not a mascot game. It's not a platformer. It's the truest AAA franchise they've got and it has the power to dominate discussion on message boards like this one and among twitter fans in a way that Mario, Smash and other hits do not.

Important to note: Zelda didn't just 'win' E3 in terms of measureable online discussion - it CRUSHED everything.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
I loved the Last of Us, and I watched PSX live. It's nice if it's in-engine. That doesn't really alter my point in any way. It's still, by their own admission, a long ways out.

When you rely on two hyperbolic statements to make a point about something ("CG", "6 months in development ") you cease to have a point I think.

Malakai

I love FROM but this mentality is, like, the fucking most stupid sometimes. And it's self-feeding.

I get the "wait and see" thing given it's Nintendo, but DS Trilogy is one of those things that could drive interest in the console by being announced tomorrow. Nobody will be in the ecosystem to buy these kinds of games if someone isn't willing to have the faith or good will to put them on there in the first place.

And I'm pretty confident that a DS Trilogy would do VERY well on Switch.

When the Switch takes off in Japan I wonder what are they going to say....

Zelda has a unique power for Nintendo that other, better selling franchises do not have. It's not a mascot game. It's not a platformer. It's the truest AAA franchise they've got and it has the power to dominate discussion on message boards like this one and among twitter fans in a way that Mario, Smash and other hits do not.

Important to note: Zelda didn't just 'win' E3 in terms of measureable online discussion - it CRUSHED everything.
Because it was the only game shown at e3 by Nintend.. come on man.

HotHamBoy

Nintendo should only talk about games coming in the next several months and ignore 2018

They may not have much to talk about, then..

I'm a little surprised by the accessory leak and the whole Zelda love in it.

It's pretty clear, from that, that it's the biggest thing Nintendo has for now. So maybe we shouldn't expect big surprises for tomorrow, game wise, at least for launch.

There was discussion since E3 about Zelda being, smartly, or not, the focus. About Nintendo maybe communicating about it at E3 and with Fallon, so prominently, cause they didn't want to show something else.

But it seems, Zelda IS the console mother ship. Which means a lot of things, especially that the Switch is aiming at gamers, fully. That's a good thing. Is it the first Nintendo console with Zelda (a rather niche game somewhat, even if huge, it's still an aging ip) being the main focus at launch ?

It's really an heavy symbol i think cause Zelda is not Mario (even if Mario could be there to). Zelda is not the game you play easily, or share with the family. It's, especially this one, a core gamer fantasy, that you invest in pretty heavily.

How do y'all feel about Zelda potentially being the biggest game they have this year and it's also coming out on their 4 year old system?

I wonder how many of us will have now bought two consoles in preparation of playing Breath of the Wild.

orioto

Good Art™

Yes and it's a good thing. That clearly means they believe in the Switch having its chance as a gaming console, aimed at gamers. Showing it at Fallon's show was a really important decision. You won't touch casual gamers with that.

The Giant

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo is funding Itagaki's next game. Since Valhalla Games developed Momotaro Dentetsu 2017 for Nintendo and is having good sales.

Scrawnton

They may not have much to talk about, then..
As a first party dev they're usually releasing a game a month between Wii U and 3DS, sometimes two. This last year was super dry. Nintendo has stuff in the works; Switch will not release into a drought like Wii U and first party 3DS has had recently. There's zero options for it.

Sheroking

When you rely on two hyperbolic statements to make a point about something ("CG", "6 months in development ") you cease to have a point I think.

The Director of the game had his last game go gold 7 months ago. There's no gameplay and won't be for some time, becuase they immediately admitted the game was several years from release.

If my point was "Sony announces games early to make these events better than they're actual yearly line-up", than I've made it. Whether or not it was CG is irrelevant. You seemed to think I was casting aspersions about the game or the company, and I'm not. It's brilliant.

Because it was the only game shown at e3 by Nintend.. come on man.

if that one game were anything else, it would not have drowned out games like Battlefield 1 and Call of Duty Infinite Warfare by 250% online.

Scrawnton

How do y'all feel about Zelda potentially being the biggest game they have this year and it's also coming out on their 4 year old system?

I didn't care when they did it with Twilight Princess and I definitely don't care that they're doing it now. Actually, I'd be more upset if they just released on Wii U in 2016 and never did a Switch port.

sebco

Thinking about going to the NYC event, any other NYC Gaffers going? First 250 people get in and they start handing out tickets at 8 PM, I'd be able to get in line around 4:30 PM so not sure if that'd end up being too late.

HotHamBoy

I didn't care when they did it with Twilight Princess and I definitely don't care that they're doing it now. Actually, I'd be more upset if they just released on Wii U in 2016 and never did a Switch port.

That's not my point. I'm saying it may not be the greatest situation to have your killer app not be exclusive to your new system.

Everyone knows Wii Sports was the Wii's true killer app.

Xdrive05

The only problem I have with it is that BotW was written for the Wii-U and will be ported to Switch, so it will inevitably NOT be a best showcase for the Switch, either in graphics or function. I don't like the idea that (likely) the only game I'll be buying at launch is not even really a Switch game. That seems wrong on some level.

Same goes for the other Wii-U to Switch ports they'll be hitting us with. The only thing I'm hoping for is that they manage to get a full 1080p output of these games when in docked mode. Because then at least there will be some appreciable difference only capable on the new hardware.

edit: obviously other the fact that these Wii-U games should be perfect ports to the handheld format. That's a non-trivial distinction that only the Switch can do. I'm just wanting Switch-only games to be a noticeable step ahead, and also to be available right away. We'll find out tomorrow.

HotHamBoy

I'm so excited. And I just can't hide it. I'm about to lose control and I think I like it

My excitement level will triple if they confirm different joycon configurations and styles. I'm really not feeling the missing d-pad. Call me old-fashioned.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
As a first party dev they're usually releasing a game a month between Wii U and 3DS, sometimes two. This last year was super dry. Nintendo has stuff in the works; Switch will not release into a drought like Wii U and first party 3DS has had recently. There's zero options for it.

Both Wii U and 3ds faced droughts. Since E3 2015 Nintendo release schedule was pretty terrible. They managed to delay 3 out of 4 mobile games stated for this fiscal year with the 5th missing it completely. They managed to delay launching Nintendo Account and My Nintendo by months.

So while the situation seems nice (Nintendo develops now just for 1 platform, so there will be plenty of games and no droughts), Nintendo still needs to prove that this is actually the case also in reality, and that they are able to deliver 1 game per month for Switch. And maybe half of those games are not Wii U or 3ds ports after the initial launch period.

That's not my point. I'm saying it may not be the greatest situation to have your killer app not be exclusive to your new system.

Nintendo is banking on the Switch being a mobile multiplayer machine as its killer feature.

squall23

Do we know if a dual-screen mode is possible? Because I saw that thread of people asking for DS Virtual Console on this thing and I'm thinking to myself "what's the point of having both DS screens on a single TV and a lack of a touchscreen?"

HotHamBoy

Nintendo is banking on the Switch being a mobile multiplayer machine as its killer feature.

Well, that's news to me. I've heard very little excitement or discussion about that. Those tiny little joycons don't help.

Worrisome, if so.

Do we know if a dual-screen mode is possible? Because I saw that thread of people asking for DS Virtual Console on this thing and I'm thinking to myself "what's the point of having both DS screens on a single TV and a lack of a touchscreen?"

It would be interesting jf the Switch could wirelessly output video to the dock ala Remote Play for stuff like DS dual-screen games.

13ruce

Banned

I wonder how many of us will have now bought two consoles in preparation of playing Breath of the Wild.

I am still deciding on if i shall get both, i did with twilight princess so i might do it again.

And i don't mind it shows some goodwill. Sure it will not sell a big amount on Wii U but it shows that they still hold on their promise of getting it on Wii U.

I first was mad at all the delays but i am at peace with it now and understand why Nintendo did it and why it's needed for the Switch to get a good chance in the market.

It's a few months away i waited 5 years whats 2 more months huh?

But it seems, Zelda IS the console mother ship. Which means a lot of things, especially that the Switch is aiming at gamers, fully. That's a good thing. Is it the first Nintendo console with Zelda (a rather niche game somewhat, even if huge, it's still an aging ip) being the main focus at launch ?

Uh, Twilight Princess at Wii launch? Where were you? It was the exact same situation, with the game releasing both on the new and old platform.

Scrawnton

I'm not following now that really matters. When PS4 launched some of the best games (and most sold) were cross gen games. Sony and MS got into the business of doing remasters as well.

For this situation, having the killer app also on a system that sold 10m consoles is not an issue. Heck, if it wasn't for good will or to save face Nintendo would cancel the Wii U version in a heart beat.

Zelda, being on Wii U also, is still probably he biggest launch title seen on any system since Wii with TP and Wii Sports.

ar4757

No one owns a Wii U so it doesn't matter

Not no one but not that significant, and they could delay the Wii U's release

HotHamBoy

Uh, Twilight Princess at Wii launch? Where were you? It was the exact same situation, with the game releasing both on the new and old platform.

Wii Sports was the main focus on the Wii. By a landslide.

Many Wiis were sold and used exclusively as Wii Sports machines.

Machina

Banned

slide_321367_3015323_free.gif

Zelda is fuckin huuuuge man

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
someone talked about the possibility of an achievement system
if nintendo gives us achievements in games I could see it be connected to my.nintendo.com. maybe give you coins for achievements or other small stuff on your nintendo account page.

Of course. I know they showed it as a feature. I'm saying that few people seem to give a shit.

eh. In the last thread I made a post how much I'm looking forward to this. Playing with my fiancée mario kart in a train or plane while traveling sounds incredible awesome. maybe they'll make them usable in SNES games for multiplayer..
It's a great idea and I can't wait to use it. I also don't think we should judge the joycons to fast. I've played trough a few games on the famicom mini and even though the controllers are tiny, I never had a problem with them.

me0wish

My excitement level will triple if they confirm different joycon configurations and styles. I'm really not feeling the missing d-pad. Call me old-fashioned.

Speaking of stylus, is there any word on that? The Switch doesn't seem like it would really benefit from one, but I like drawing on miiverse every now and then.

Scrawnton

Wii Sports was the main focus on the Wii. By a landslide.

Many Wiis were sold and used exclusively as Wii Sports machines.

Wii Sports was the main focus for casual gamers and it is what helped it take off. Twilight Princess was the Trojan horse for hardcore gamers. I would not have bought a Wii at launch if Zelda wasn't there and I was day one for every Nintendo product since N64.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom