• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch |DT2| No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness

Which of these definitely """real""" leaks are you most hyped for?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

what-ok

The only problem I have with it is that BotW was written for the Wii-U and will be ported to Switch, so it will inevitably NOT be a best showcase for the Switch, either in graphics or function. I don't like the idea that (likely) the only game I'll be buying at launch is not even really a Switch game. That seems wrong on some level.

Same goes for the other Wii-U to Switch ports they'll be hitting us with. The only thing I'm hoping for is that they manage to get a full 1080p output of these games when in docked mode. Because then at least there will be some appreciable difference only capable on the new hardware.

I feel ya. I guess it technically is a port, but maybe it is using more of the Switches capabilities than we are aware of at this time. I imagine the map on game pad was replace for the Switch version since dual screen function without a dock hasn't been shown and maybe not possible. Maybe as the Switch was becoming a reality, more focus went to that version of BOTW which may be scaled back for a later WiiU release? I have no clue, but I don't think we will be short changed on it.

Interfectum

I want tech info

I'd rather see some current gen ports on the system so we start setting our expectations of what Xbone/PS4 games will look like on it.

More tech info is going to lead to loosely educated guesses as to what the system can do. Lets see some ports and how they stack up.

Scrawnton

Both Wii U and 3ds faced droughts. Since E3 2015 Nintendo release schedule was pretty terrible. They managed to delay 3 out of 4 mobile games stated for this fiscal year with the 5th missing it completely. They managed to delay launching Nintendo Account and My Nintendo by months.

So while the situation seems nice (Nintendo develops now just for 1 platform, so there will be plenty of games and no droughts), Nintendo still needs to prove that this is actually the case also in reality, and that they are able to deliver 1 game per month for Switch. And maybe half of those games are not Wii U or 3ds ports after the initial launch period.

I 100% agree with you that that's what they have to do and I think it is what they will do. They have been quiet for too long. They haven't been sitting their twiddling their thumbs doing nothing. Their pipeline is probably very impressive right now.

HotHamBoy

I'm not following now that really matters. When PS4 launched some of the best games (and most sold) were cross gen games. Sony and MS got into the business of doing remasters as well.

For this situation, having the killer app also on a system that sold 10m consoles is not an issue. Heck, if it wasn't for good will or to save face Nintendo would cancel the Wii U version in a heart beat.

Zelda, being on Wii U also, is still probably he biggest launch title seen on any system since Wii with TP and Wii Sports.

PS4 and XB1 represented a new generation and a big leap in graphics technology and OS features. Even the cross platform games were better on the next gen consoles.

Switch doesn't have that going for it. It will be slightly more powerful than Wii U but considerably weaker than PS4 and XB1.

That's not my point. I'm saying it may not be the greatest situation to have your killer app not be exclusive to your new system.

Everyone knows Wii Sports was the Wii's true killer app.

I'd agree with you if the Wii-U was still in production and selling well. It isn't, so if Switch takes off then a large group of people probably won't even know that Zelda even came out for the Wii-U.

There's also the idea that no console ever really has a game that takes full advantage of the tech on day one. Zelda will be a full-fledged console experience on a hybrid system and that's gonna look amazing to people who aren't jaded like us.

How are you all going to watch the event?

While stuffing your face? Booze? Naked? Hanging upside down from the ceiling?

Lying in bed and trying not to wake the wife!

Oregano

PS4 and XB1 represented a new generation and a big leap in graphics technology and OS features. Even the cross platform games were better on the next gen consoles.

Switch doesn't have that going for it. It will be slightly more powerful than Wii U but considerably weaker than PS4 and XB1.

It will also be completely portable. That's a big factor. Head over to the Media Create thread and check out Super Mario Maker 3DS' sales.

Interfectum

That's not my point. I'm saying it may not be the greatest situation to have your killer app not be exclusive to your new system.

No one bought a Wii U or cares to own one. For all intents and purposes, to the majority of the mainstream public, Zelda BotW is purely a Switch game.

HotHamBoy

I'd rather see some current gen ports on the system so we start setting our expectations of what Xbone/PS4 games will look like on it.

More tech info is going to lead to loosely educated guesses as to what the system can do. Lets see some ports and how they stack up.

They'll look like the cross-gen games, most likely. Expect PS3 Destiny, CoD, Battlefield, Wolfenstein quality.

Brofield

How are you all going to watch the event?

While stuffing your face? Booze? Naked? Hanging upside down from the ceiling?

Boxers, a beer, and the darkness of my bedroom illuminated only by the light of my laptop and second screen TV. Stream on 27", Twitter for my hot takes, GAF for my lukewarm takes so I don't get banned.

oti

Banned
Of course. I know they showed it as a feature. I'm saying that few people seem to give a shit.
At our Christmas gathering I showed the reveal trailer to a couple of parents. You know what their first reaction was?

"Great! I don't have to buy a second controller."

Considerably weaker?

Naw man the Gap between Switch and PS4 isnt THAT huge.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of stylus, is there any word on that? The Switch doesn't seem like it would really benefit from one, but I like drawing on miiverse every now and then.

he said styles not stylus. but with the touchscreen the switch probably uses you should be able to use this kind of stylus of course, we will only know it for real after the conference.

Scrawnton

So you have to be trolling becaue Switch is a huge leap above 3DS and Wii U. There's really no point in continuing this becaue you have a bias. It is not slightly more powerful than a Wii U. Look at the design of this technology and even the low end estimates of the specs of this device. This is a generational leap over Wii U.

Interfectum

They'll look like the cross-gen games, most likely. Expect PS3 Destiny, CoD, Battlefield, Wolfenstein quality.

But you see these are the guesses I want to get away from. You are saying this based off of incomplete info on the tech.

I want to see actual PS4/Xbone games ported to the system so we can see the differences first hand.

On my couch with a couple friends, Mountain Dew in hand
9c9.jpg

It's several times more powerful than Wii U from the supposed specs we've heard about (docked).

HotHamBoy

Considerably weaker?

Naw man the Gap between Switch and PS4 isnt THAT huge.

But it ain't stronger or on par, either. and we are 3 years in.

I'm pulling for Nintendo, we will have to see just how compelling the portable mode is. Hopefully people don't confuse it for what the Wii U did.

I' most likely going to buy one so I hope it does well. And I hope Nintendo gets their shit together with the OS and VC and online.

Do you think we'll see more Dragon Quest projects or Final Fantasy?

I'm thinking the Unreal Engine 4 Final Fantasy games like FF7 and Dissidia will make their way to Switch but we already know Switch is getting Dragon Quest XI and X (in Japan at least). I have a feeling Square have quite a few Dragon Quest games up their sleeve.

Do you think we'll see more Dragon Quest projects or Final Fantasy?

I'm thinking the Unreal Engine 4 Final Fantasy games like FF7 and Dissidia will make their way to Switch but we already know Switch is getting Dragon Quest XI and X (in Japan at least). I have a feeling Square have quite a few Dragon Quest games up their sleeve.
Maybe. This leads to a question I have regarding region specific content. Do only worldwide things get covered at the press event, and the later more region exclusive news gets announced? I can't see Nintendo talking about games that are currently only slated for release in one area.

Maybe. This leads to a question I have regarding region specific content. Do only worldwide things get covered at the press event, and the later more region exclusive news gets announced? I can't see Nintendo talking about games that are currently only slated for release in one area.

They're going to announce that the Switch auto translates everything, including voice acting, and every game ever will get a worldwide release.

what-ok

Just had a thought which may have been discussed before, but couldn't find any info. I imagine that the Switch will be able to download apps like the Apple app store so their mobile games will be playable on the system. That comes with a sort of Apple partnership or agreement. Am I crazy? I mean Nintendo was at the Apple conference and all. I know its a stretch. Don't hate me. (=

oti

Banned
Just had a thought which may have been discussed before, but couldn't find any info. I imagine that the Switch will be able to download apps like the Apple app store so their mobile games will be playable on the system. That comes with a sort of Apple partnership or agreement. Am I crazy? I mean Nintendo was at the Apple conference and all. I know its a stretch. Don't hate me. (=
That's crazy talk.

Calm Mind

Reposting my predictions:

First Party
  • Breath of the Wild is indeed a launch title, in NA. EU is delayed 1-2 weeks. Please understand.
  • Mario Switch is very similar to 3D World; Wario appears as a character this time.
  • Splatoon is not quite a sequel, but is a massively updated port. Octolings are finally playable.
  • Smash is shown; at least one newcomer will be revealed.
  • Mario Kart is MK8 with 4 additional cups, more characters, and classic Battle Mode. Called Mario Kart Infinite and will be updated for the Switch's lifespan.
  • A bizarre new IP, even stranger than Splatoon is revealed.
  • Pikmin 4 is revealed.
  • Pokemon Stars is not mentioned.
  • A brief sizzle reel teases games to be elaborated on during the Treehouse stream.
  • MOTHER 3
  • Rabbids Kingdom Battle is revealed to little applause.
  • New Mario Strikers revealed; gritty Rosalina quickly proves a fan favorite.

Third Party
  • Skyrim Remastered is confirmed, obviously. Launch day.
  • Sonic Mania is confirmed; Project 2017 gets a new teaser.
  • Monster Hunter is shown in some capacity.
  • Marvel VS Capcom Infinite shown off; one new Marvel and one new Capcom fighter revealed.
  • Tecmo shows off a new Nintendo-themed Warriors game. Fire Emblem?
  • Tekken 7.
  • Dark Souls Trilogy confirmed.
  • Dragon Quest incoming.
  • Indie sizzle reel that contains conspicuous UNDERTALE footage, with no comment on Nintendo's part.

rosalina_in_mario_strikers_charged_football_by_lyokofan97-d4sr1w3.jpg

Interfectum

I really don't see a benefit here. People wanting appstore apps most likely have an iPhone which they will have more access to during any given day. Not even thinking about how it will distract people from shopping at Nintendo's own eshop.

komorebi

So which asshole "insider" is going to leak most of the information today to get those very crucial twitter follows. It always happens 24hrs before a big event like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom