• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch |DT2| No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness

Which of these definitely """real""" leaks are you most hyped for?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
4eb.png

Hype!!!

Now that don't make a link of sense.

Before Homer covered it up, it said "Don't Forget: You're Here Forever". So in this case, it's saying "Don't Forget: You're Hime Forever"?

So your saying they don't want to be competitive? Ok lol

They aren't going to be. They've stated on numerous occasions that they don't see themselves in competition with the other guys, and their decisions prove it. I love Nintendo but nobody is buying these things for a full-breadth, fully-featured gaming ecosystem. Most people bar young kids are not going to have a Switch as their sole dedicated gaming device. It's a system that families will buy for kids, and gamers will buy in addition to their PC, or X1 or PS4. I think it will do somewhat better than the Wii U because it is a hybrid and replaces both of Nintendo's lines. The pool of potential customers is greater because you have both console and dedicated handheld gamers and not everyone who buys one would've necessarily bought the other. Also, Nintendo's game output should hopefully be more exciting with only one platform to support.

It'll do better than Wii U, but unless there is some heretofore unknown gimmick revealed tonight it's not going to be a Wii either. I think the price is important, but it will be a decision that many here will make based on whether the device and its exclusive games are worth it to them as a secondary system, and not simply how the price compares to MS/Sony's current pricing.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Why are people suddenly posting lots of high prices and other negative stuff. This is the time to hype to the absolute max!

JMY86

So? That line of reasoning doesn't make sense to me. If you would be just as happy with PS4 or X1 then you would've bought one already. People buying a Switch are doing so either for Nintendo exclusive games or for the hybrid gimmick. Obviously the price can't be too high but it's not simply a direct comparison to PS4/X1 price because in reality there aren't a lot of people just waiting around deciding which singular platform to adopt.

The hardcore Nintendo fans are gonna buy this thing even if it is $399 but those people are just not enough anymore just look at the Wii U. The Switch HAS to be cheaper to have a chance in hell of being successful.

Malakai

Is there a general recommendation as to where to pre-order for US gamers?

Target has their 5% discount with their REDcard. Amazon also now has 5% back, plus 20% off non-bundle pre-order games right? Does GameStop have any benefits?

Weighing my options. Surprised there isn't an article breaking everything down—maybe we'll get something after the presentation.

GameStop have convoluted point system if you are free edge member. Were each dollar purchases (and trade ins for store credit) net you 10 or 20 points. 5000 points get you $5 off coupon.

Best Buy have an point system were if you are a mybestbuy member nets a mathematically equivalent to a 1% cash back (each dollar purchase net .5 points and once 250 points is reached Best Buy generates a $5 dollar coupon )

They aren't going to be. They've stated on numerous occasions that they don't see themselves in competition with the other guys, and their decisions prove it. I love Nintendo but nobody is buying these things for a full-breadth, fully-featured gaming ecosystem. Most people bar young kids are not going to have a Switch as their sole dedicated gaming device. It's a system that families will buy for kids, and gamers will buy in addition to their PC, or X1 or PS4. I think it will do somewhat better than the Wii U because it is a hybrid and replaces both of Nintendo's lines. The pool of potential customers is greater because you have both console and dedicated handheld gamers and not everyone who buys one would've necessarily bought the other. Also, Nintendo's game output should hopefully be more exciting with only one platform to support.

It'll do better than Wii U, but unless there is some heretofore unknown gimmick revealed tonight it's not going to be a Wii either. I think the price is important, but it will be a decision that many here will make based on whether the device and its exclusive games are worth it to them as a secondary system, and not simply how the price compares to MS/Sony's current pricing.

They were saying that in regards to hardware.. in being competitive.. not in cost. In over to gain consumes cost is a huge factor.. the cost was determined probably a couple of years ago before the system was even flushed out.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah? Saying it absolutely won't is based on pretty much nothing except "the past" which means nearly nothing.

Also if you believe any of the largely accepted leaks then you have to believe that some semblance of third party support is coming. FROM, Ubisoft, some EA stuff, most Japanese third parties, so on. There's really no reason to believe a decent number of publishers aren't at least vaguely interested in Switch.

Come on now. You said it would have the major third party games and thus people wouldn't need to have a PS4/X1/PC.

Even the most raging Nintendo fanboy knows this won't get most of the big mainstream AAA third party games that sell the other consoles. Especially the western ones.

And those it do get will be downgraded due to lesser power, less appealing online as most gamer's friends will be playing them elsewhere.

The Switch can only be the SINGLE platform for gamers who just love Nintendo games and the type of Japanese exclusives they got on Wii U/3DS, and don't care about mainstream AAA games.

It can be the MAIN platform for people who love that stuff, but also like enough of the mainstream stuff to need a PS4/X1/PC to play it.

For the rest, it will be a secondary platform to enjoy Nintendo's games and the types of exclusives they get, will most of their time goes to the mainstream AAs and Sony/MS/PC exclusives.

Nothing wrong with any of that. Just get out of here with fanboy nonsense expectations of it getting all the big games and being the only platform the average gamer (especially western gamer) needs to own to satisfy all their genre needs.

Strider

IMO $250 is a fantastic launch price but I'll probably buy it at $300 or less.

If even half of the games rumors are true this thing will have enough games to justify buying the console year 1 for me... let alone any games coming 2018 or after...

H Y P E

Shaldome

Alarm is set for 4:30, that leaves me 30 minutes to prepare myself some coffee and get comfortable before the stream starts. Plan is to take a short nap until then. Will see how long that nap will be.

Griss

I'm hoping we finally get a proper look at the new Zelda tonight too. Zelda the character, that is.

Just one more thing to get excited about.

Should be the best Nintendo presentation since the shocks delivered at the January 2013 direct.

Fuck, that's good. I remember going into HMV on the launch day of the Wii U in Ireland and knowing that the poor thing was DoA. It was just sitting there. Not even I would buy one.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Tbh it's gonna be more expensive than the Wii U isn't it. There's a lot of new tech in there it seems. Even the 3DS is still quite expensive.

If it's more expensive than a PS4 I won't be able to justify it, I don't even have a ps4 yet.

Nintendo can price it high cos they can get by just selling to the Nintendo fans.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Are we gonna get a specific new thread made like for E3 or such put up an hour or half an hour ahead with the watch links?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Honestly it's a little tiring to see some users trying to do concern trolling.

Agree. Seems now a few hours before the conference the thread attracts quite a few people who only want to see this crash and burn. Anyways, My body is reggie!

Yamauchi

Banned
Scenario: This is as much of a disaster as Sony E3 2006, Nintendo E3 2008, or the Xbone unveiling. How do you react?
I don't see how it can be a disaster. We already know a lot about the console. They'll have a few (2-3) big games, a few mid-tier games, and several expanded Wii U titles. I can't imagine much else. More than that and I'll be pleasantly surprised.

NewGame

Banned
This region free thing has me giddy.

Now all they need to do is make it look less like the DS Phat aesthetic and more like the NEW 3DS.

I don't think I will buy the launch version, I will wait for the revision. NEW Switch. Switch Delux. Switch Lite. Super Switch. Switch Advanced. Switch 128(gb internal storage). etc

Tbh it's gonna be more expensive than the Wii U isn't it. There's a lot of new tech in there it seems. Even the 3DS is still quite expensive.

If it's more expensive than a PS4 I won't be able to justify it, I don't even have a ps4 yet.

Nintendo can price it high cos they can get by just selling to the Nintendo fans.

It doesn't have the Wii U's expensive exotic chips so that should hep get the cost down a lot

$299usd or more for a more capable and futureproof machine is okay by me. But I'm putting my bet on $229-249.

Also, do you all realize this is the first combined reveal event for Nintendo's mobile and home console game output? I'm getting shivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom