• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch |DT2| No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness

Which of these definitely """real""" leaks are you most hyped for?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RcvmHfHk

http://weibo.com/2371019235/EqxdUARbK

LOVE THIS!

13ruce

Banned
Does that also mean that you expect a smartphone-level profit margin?

If it's over $300, screw a 3DS cartridge, I'll make a smoothie with my gold OoT N64 cart and drink it. That's how positive I am that it'll hit $250

Don't worry it probably won't be, there is no way they wanna recreate the Wii U situation and that 300 price was a huge part of it.

PMS341

I know a few people who says stuff like that and used to get pretty mad. if it is what it is, well, okay? that doesn't add anything at all. totally nothing statement

It is very, very grating. I always took it as a "shut up and do your job" sort of thing.

Come on now. You said it would have the major third party games and thus people wouldn't need to have a PS4/X1/PC.

Even the most raging Nintendo fanboy knows this won't get most of the big mainstream AAA third party games that sell the other consoles. Especially the western ones.

And those it do get will be downgraded due to lesser power, less appealing online as most gamer's friends will be playing them elsewhere.

The Switch can only be the SINGLE platform for gamers who just love Nintendo games and the type of Japanese exclusives they got on Wii U/3DS, and don't care about mainstream AAA games.

It can be the MAIN platform for people who love that stuff, but also like enough of the mainstream stuff to need a PS4/X1/PC to play it.

For the rest, it will be a secondary platform to enjoy Nintendo's games and the types of exclusives they get, will most of their time goes to the mainstream AAs and Sony/MS/PC exclusives.

Nothing wrong with any of that. Just get out of here with fanboy nonsense expectations of it getting all the big games and being the only platform the average gamer (especially western gamer) needs to own to satisfy all their genre needs.

I literally never said that. My question is: what particular value does PS4/XBO have over the Switch at $250? It's a question that depends on the presence of third parties, which I assure you neither of us can safely bet on right now.

Also, considering what we know about the console, it's pretty reasonable to expect that lots of third party ports could make it over if the console performs well at launch. To say otherwise is to engage in the same thinking of which you're accusing me, but in the opposite direction. I guess you probably haven't kept up with most of the discussion, but Switch is powerful enough to have current gen games running on it. So yeah, it's reasonable to believe that notable third party titles (I assume you're confusing "mainstream" with "western") will appear on Switch.

Keep the name calling to a minimum, thanks.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Scenario: This is as much of a disaster as Sony E3 2006, Nintendo E3 2008, or the Xbone unveiling. How do you react?

I can't see that happening. Worst case is it's pretty drab and boring and just confirms most of the leaks.

But if it was some how that kind of debacle, I'd just shrug it off and not buy one any time soon and wait and only buy in if it was selling well and had a nice library of games I wanted at an asking price I could justify for a third platform.

Lkr

I would honestly be shocked if preorders opened immediately with how late they are doing this. I was at my stoop today to return a defective game and they're not prepared for any of that shit yet according to the guy behind the counter.

Skatterd

Is there anything else to that rumor other than the 4chan leak?

Not that I know of.
A lot of that card seems to be based off that leak

Though she also says not to read much into it.

I would honestly be shocked if preorders opened immediately with how late they are doing this. I was at my stoop today to return a defective game and they're not prepared for any of that shit yet according to the guy behind the counter.

I just hope they TELL US so I'm not waiting around all night.

Gamestop told me tomorrow morning.

NeoAthanasius

Neo Member
My son is playing Super Mario 3D world and the music is getting me PUMPED! I still have to get through a 2 hour committee meeting before the stream starts. I'm going to be so distracted!

Pocks

GameStop have convoluted point system if you are free edge member. Were each dollar purchases (and trade ins for store credit) net you 10 or 20 points. 5000 points get you $5 off coupon.

Best Buy have an point system were if you are a mybestbuy member nets a mathematically equivalent to a 1% cash back (each dollar purchase net .5 points and once 250 points is reached Best Buy generates a $5 dollar coupon )

Best Buy for the extra GCU points and also 20% off non-bundle games.

Thanks for the insight guys. It sounds like Amazon or Target are the better options for cost savings with 5% savings.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I literally never said that. My question is: what particular value does PS4/XBO have over the Switch at $250?

The value is it has the big mainstream western games (and mainstream Japanese ones like FFXV, Persona 5 that the dev just said no Switch version was planned etc.) with top graphics and performances, and big online communities where most gamers friends are playing (for those that care about online gaming). Graphics add tons of value for the average gamers. There's a reason most of the top selling games are graphics show cases and not cartoony gameplay focused stuff, for better or worse.

And yes, it can run current gen games. But they'd be quite downgraded visually and in performance most likely, on a console that cost as much or less than Switch. So that's not going to be very appealing to many on the fence between Switch and PS4/X1 slim bundles, especially given the emphasis on upping graphics in the mainstream AAA market. One big exception is the portable gaming lovers--that is one area they can capitalize on.

But sorry if I read your post wrong.

ManeKast

So....

Anyone else got the countdown up on their main TV? Youtube app (using ps4) -> open the official Nintendo stream.

Gonna watch it most of the day, drink beers and get wasted. This is the most important day of my life in over a decade.

Hyped.

The hardcore Nintendo fans are gonna buy this thing even if it is $399 but those people are just not enough anymore just look at the Wii U. The Switch HAS to be cheaper to have a chance in hell of being successful.

I agree wholeheartedly that the cheaper the Switch is, the better it will do. That's not my point. My point is that the current going rate of the PS4/X1 is not some hard "line in the sand". They should price it as cheaply as they can and not lose money. I don't believe the pool of customers making an "X or Y?" decision regarding Switch and PS4 is that large.

KayMote

The feeling when you are falling asleep but know that everybody on GAF will stay active for the next hours.
I'm still on the hype train, but terribly tired. I've set the alarm, heading to bed now. See you guys in 4 hours!

WELP!!!! GameStop just called since I wanted to reserve a Switch. Reservations start tomorrow and my local store only has 22. I'll be in line at 8am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom