• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch |DT2| No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness

Which of these definitely """real""" leaks are you most hyped for?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raet

Hype levels are through the roof... I now realize what a genius move it was to give us that teaser trailer back in October and have the fans wait
suffer
until the January event for the full blowout.

I'm thinking there will only be one SKU at 32GB and Nintendo will have some sort of solution for digital games.

Digital is wayyyyyyy too important today and it makes Nintendo more money if people buy digital. I know they can say "but SD cards", but these games are bigger than 3DS games. I feel like they'll come up with a more friendly option with the Cloud or something.

13ruce

Banned
Unless they just hand you the master sword the moment you enter the bosses area, there will be some linear sequencing involving dungeons.

Doesn't the games logo feature a rusty master sword? So that'll be atleast three dungeons to get the master sword and then two to polish the rust off.

Yeah it will probably something like that you can try and defeat the final boss with the degraded master sword, but if you go a bit further you can polish it up and get more story and stuff and have a better chance of beating him and maybe even a extra fight/phase in the battle.

sonto340

People have been floating this idea around and I'm not sure I buy into it. My biggest argument against it is how Nintendo would verify that you own the games on a given SD card.

I'm not saying that it's physically impossible to do so, or that you can't give people a grace period to prove they own a game, but... This is the company that permanently tied digital purchases to your actual system for Wii-U/3DS. I don't expect them to make this dramatic of a shift with Switch.
The same way it works now on a 3DS?
If I plug my sd card into a different 3DS it doesn't just magically work
Or the same way it works with external USB drives on an Xbox one. It'll show up but you'd have to sign into your account.

Tom Nook

Get Hype!

00000503_820_461.png

http://nintendowire.com/blog/2016/12/26/nintendo-host-two-concerts-japanese-switch-event-january/

I'd agree with you if the market didn't suggest otherwise. Tablets and smartphones charge between $50 to $150 extra for flash memory bumps like that. Obviously that's a decent markup but I don't see Nintendo breaking ground in this field. There's a reason that companies like Samsung and Apple haven't changed the status quo here.

Nintendo won't charge significantly more when SD cards would make that pointless and I don't see the premium just being 64gb as again that'd be a pointless upgrade from 32gb when SD cards exist (especially considering game sizes)

PsionBolt

People have been floating this idea around and I'm not sure I buy into it. My biggest argument against it is how Nintendo would verify that you own the games on a given SD card.

I'm not saying that it's physically impossible to do so, or that you can't give people a grace period to prove they own a game, but... This is the company that permanently tied digital purchases to your actual system for Wii-U/3DS. I don't expect them to make this dramatic of a shift with Switch.

Are you aware that you an already do this with the 3DS? Use different SD cards on one machine, I mean. It just works, no problem. I would be thoroughly surprised if Switch is different in that regard.

Hype levels are through the roof... I now realize what a genius move it was to give us that teaser trailer back in October and have the fans wait
suffer
until the January event for the full blowout.

It was definitely painful as a fan, but I think it was the smartest move on their part. Wii-U proved that Nintendo fans alone can't carry hardware sales, and they need some big appeal. Shouting about a March release during the holiday season would have just led to them getting lost in the noise. Super happy that this stuff is coming now.

I'm thinking there will only be one SKU at 32GB and Nintendo will have some sort of solution for digital games.

Digital is wayyyyyyy too important today and it makes Nintendo more money if people buy digital. I know they can say "but SD cards", but these games are bigger than 3DS games. I feel like they'll come up with a more friendly option with the Cloud or something.

I agree! Not quite sure what their solution will be outside of Micro SD though. Yesterday I floated the idea of re-writeable game cards as they've been done (unofficially) before. That could be an excellent supplement to also having Micro SD and internal storage.

Are you aware that you an already do this with the 3DS? Use different SD cards on one machine, I mean. It just works, no problem. I would be thoroughly surprised if Switch is different in that regard.

I asked that question a few times yesterday and never got a straight answer! I appreciate you stepping in. So I could just take an SD card out of my 3DS right now and pop in a blank one with no issue? After that, it'll let me pop back in the original one and switch between my game lists? I've honestly never tried.

Nintendo won't charge significantly more when SD cards would make that pointless and I don't see the premium just being 64gb as again that'd be a pointless upgrade from 32gb when SD cards exist (especially considering game sizes)

SD cards have nothing to do with the pricing of built-in memory. By that logic, no smartphone/tablet manufacturer would be able to sell their higher-memory SKU's. I'm just saying that there's a precedent there and Nintendo will not be the company to break it.

Persona7

Banned
Hopefully I won't need more than 200GB over the lifetime as I have a spare micro sd card with that amount. I plan on buying physical copies for the most part.

Anyone feel that having NX/Switch skip E3 2016 in favor of this big event was the right call?

Hype levels are through the roof and Nintendo has pretty much got the next few days to themselves. Everyone is going to be reporting nothing but Switch stuff.

Let's take it further, how would you feel if Nintendo slowly dropped out of E3 going forward and instead, host big Switchmas-like events during other parts of the year? Or do you think E3 is still important for Nintendo to attend?

100%. To the average joe, the switch will just begin existing this week with signs etc in best buys and so on, and it's out in March. As for us, the waiting has been part of the fun

On the second point, as I mentioned a few pages back, I kind of feel they have effectively dropped out of E3 already as of 2016, to do their own thing. Instead, at E3 they presented a game that was already known as a huge attraction/experience, and streamed some hands on of known titles. Granted, they did announce a few things but obviously stuff like Switch was entirely vacant. I would expect them to continue using E3 as a big public hands on event, but to hold directs and events of their own on their own timetable for proper announcements. Again, in the view of directs, they've been doing that awhile too. It's important to something around E3 because the industry is paying attention, but it doesn't have to be the blowout the others go for. They proved last year they don't need to do that, and still have as exciting a show, and now we get this too.

Icolin

Banned
Echoing what Moltenix said, I think the way Nintendo is handling the Switch so far is very commendable, and I can't wait to see what tricks they have up their sleeve, come Thursday. Very excited.

Since this is Japanese, will they only announce Japanese prices etc. and then the other th territories tweet or something?

Different territories have different Stream URLs for the event, so I'm guessing you'll see region-specific date and price on whatever stream you're watching. Or they'll just show everything on every stream. Sony does that when they announce hardware price.

Zedark

Since this is Japanese, will they only announce Japanese prices etc. and then the other th territories tweet or something?

Well, I don't know, but it can't be hard to show prices for all main regions on a slide. Keep in mind that the event is very much marketed towards a worldwide audience, so they will likely announce prices etc. for all main markets.

marmoka

Banned
It's a worldwide focused event. They will show prices for all territories, or announce them outside the event. It's not one of those Japan-exclusive Nintendo Directs.

Icolin

Banned
Anyone feel that having NX/Switch skip E3 2016 in favor of this big event was the right call?

Hype levels are through the roof and Nintendo has pretty much got the next few days to themselves. Everyone is going to be reporting nothing but Switch stuff.

Let's take it further, how would you feel if Nintendo slowly dropped out of E3 going forward and instead, host big Switchmas-like events during other parts of the year? Or do you think E3 is still important for Nintendo to attend?

I think they should still be at E3, but also have small events throughout the year.

It was definitely painful as a fan, but I think it was the smartest move on their part. Wii-U proved that Nintendo fans alone can't carry hardware sales, and they need some big appeal. Shouting about a March release during the holiday season would have just led to them getting lost in the noise. Super happy that this stuff is coming now.

I agree! Not quite sure what their solution will be outside of Micro SD though. Yesterday I floated the idea of re-writeable game cards as they've been done (unofficially) before. That could be an excellent supplement to also having Micro SD and internal storage.

I asked that question a few times yesterday and never got a straight answer! I appreciate you stepping in. So I could just take an SD card out of my 3DS right now and pop in a blank one with no issue? After that, it'll let me pop back in the original one and switch between my game lists? I've honestly never tried.

SD cards have nothing to do with the pricing of built-in memory. By that logic, no smartphone/tablet manufacturer would be able to sell their higher-memory SKU's. I'm just saying that there's a precedent there and Nintendo will not be the company to break it.

SD card use for phones is pretty niche, the majority just use their internal storage, SD use for Nintendo handhelds is pretty neccessary

That'll really be answered with how well the actual show is received. Due to the small window between the actual reveal and the launch, it means that they really won't have any time to fix things if the reaction is negative. It's really an all-in scenario that they're going for with no margin for error.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Huh, didn't realize it was tomorrow night where I am---pretty awesome since I work all morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom