• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch |DT2| No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness

Which of these definitely """real""" leaks are you most hyped for?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think preorders will go live instantly. Maybe 5 hours or so later.

I say that because it'll be like 6am in Europe before half of the nation gets to wake up and have a chance at preorder - Nintendo won't allow just the viewers to nab it.

Why would they be bothered by that? It would allow their most engaged fans to nab it, and they'll be most likely to evangelize it. And that of course assuming the pre-orders disappear right away. There's always in-store too.

I say that because it'll be like 6am in Europe before half of the nation gets to wake up and have a chance at preorder - Nintendo won't allow just the viewers to nab it.
Yes they will. It's survival of the fittest, bub! Get N or get out!

😛

I plan to wake up at 4:45 AM to watch this. I deserve the privilege !

J@hranimo

Banned
Dear God please don't let Platinum anywhere near Metroid.

Qn58Yiu.gif

Then who should they let near Metroid?

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

I expect to be able to pre-order it on amazon around 8-9AM. hopefully

Then who should they let near Metroid?

the young and creative people that came up with splatoon >>? Just an idea. I don't know..just give me a good metroid be it 2D or 3D

This is a pretty fair point, in terms of considering if things go badly, although I kind of feel if they'd announced in June and it had gone badly, there would have been no changing minds anyway, the only difference being it would have given people a lot of time to pick away at it further. People will probably do that for the next 8 weeks right enough.

It'd definitely depend on what the negative reaction was to. There are definitely things that would be more or less set in stone at the time and nothing could change. But the extra window would still give them some time to try to fix their messaging. With that said, if they do get this right then they've basically got pure hype for the launch because of how short the window is. It'll be non-stop talk about the console. So, I understand why they're making the gamble. The reward here is greater than the risk.

BTA

Lol. After this Scalebound nonsense any dev will have to have a lot of courage to announce a game that for sure isn't releasing within a year. Apple levels of courage.

Games have been cancelled before. I don't really think it's going to make people incredibly wary of announcing games without a close enough date now.

I mean, in general it would be better if games were announced closer to release. But that has nothing to do with Scalebound.

I definitely agree with you there! This is precisely why I don't think we'll see a model with more than 32Gb of memory built in, that's all. I don't see them either charging $50 to $100 more for a 64Gb model, or bucking the current market trends and offering that jump for substantially less.

I think we'll see one SKU at 32Gb. Micro SD card support and hopefully some other option will supplement that methinks.

well laura is saying 2 SKUs and shes been pretty spot on

Yeah, the best move would be to open pre-orders right after the livestream. Give the core fans first crack at purchasing the system. Limit it to one per person.

Yeah they will.. doesn't stop them in the past and it's not like nobody doesn't know about it. If people want it they will get up by 6 AM. Also it's not like stores are not going to be taking pre-orders that day as well.

It's not like every online store is going to have them up at the exact same time either.
For example, her in the netherlands our biggest online store by far bol.com is usually pretty late with these kind of things to the point where you have to wait a couple of days.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but do you think MicroSD cards are hotswappable? The leaked plastic cases all have more than 1 MicroSD storage slot. I mean, you can get a 200GB MicroSD for just above the same price as a game (SanDisk Ultra 200GB is $65 on Amazon), so for digital users, you just get one, fill it up, then get a new one. It'd be a good compromise for the lack of a spinning drive, though a little less convenient.

I'm hoping Nintendo brings back one IP that hasn't had a sequel in a decade.

-F-Zero
-Star Tropics
-Mother (4)
-Wave Race
-Excite Bike
-Eternal Darkness

So I was totally ready for last year's $99 3DS deal, with a link at Amazon.com so that at minute one of Thursday (which is was slated to start at), I'd be able to order.

Amazon started taking preorders at something like 9pm. I logged in at 10pm, thinking I had plenty of time, only to see that they had just run out.

What's the speculation and hubbub on when preorders might start and from which online shops? There's much less of a chance of a March console release quickly selling out, but I don't want to take a chance, and I won't have the flexibility to go out to a store at pretty much any time from Thursday evening through Monday night.

I'm hoping to just have tabs open to Amazon, Best Buy, Target, and GameStop from 9pm onward, but I almost feel like if I did that, it'll jinx the system and cause preorders to start at 8pm and close at 8:45pm. So somebody tell me that I'm just being paranoid and shouldn't worry
then somebody else post some sort of PANIC gif so we have symmetry

Why I am getting hyped for this? I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the Gamecube, but then I got the Nintendo Classic and it's like I found a long lost friend.

Damn you Nintendo, I thought I was over you

Pachimari

Weirdly, what I want most from this event, is to get a good look at the alternative joy-cons. I'll probably be disappointed, but at least give us one with an actual dpad, and maybe another with a fatter grip.

So I was totally ready for last year's $99 3DS deal, with a link at Amazon.com so that at minute one of Thursday (which is was slated to start at), I'd be able to order.

Amazon started taking preorders at something like 9pm. I logged in at 10pm, thinking I had plenty of time, only to see that they had just run out.

What's the speculation and hubbub on when preorders might start and from which online shops? There's much less of a chance of a March console release quickly selling out, but I don't want to take a chance, and I won't have the flexibility to go out to a store at pretty much any time from Thursday evening through Monday night.

I'm hoping to just have tabs open to Amazon, Best Buy, Target, and GameStop from 9pm onward, but I almost feel like if I did that, it'll jinx the system and cause preorders to start at 8pm and close at 8:45pm. So somebody tell me that I'm just being paranoid and shouldn't worry

Do you have a smartphone? I just use Twitter for stuff like this. I follow people like Wario64 and a few others, then I turn on notifications for their account. That way I get notified as soon as something goes up without having to refresh pages like a mad man.

oh I didn't see that, would surprise me though

I felt the same way at first, but I came to realize that Nintendo doesn't normally offer more than one SKU. The Wii-U basic sold terribly due to a bum value proposition and I just don't know if I can see them repeating that again.

jxN3

I feel like I'm the only one that would be thrilled if Retro was still working on Donkey Kong Country. Though, I grew up with Donkey Kong, didn't play Metroid till much, much later.

35Fmd2J.jpg

I totally expect to be making this face again when I open my Switch. :D

I'm paranoid as hell too, I likely won't be home until JUST after the event ends so I'll have to hope preorders open at around 1am instead of during the event or else I'm fucked, but someone speculated that it might not be too different from Xbox One and PS4. Relatively easy to preorder, but hard to find for a few months for those who missed. This will be Nintendo's ONLY supported console come March onward. It would be a HUGE mistake to let harsh stock for extended amounts of time happen.

I mean, they're goal for just March is 2 million. It could be releasing late in the month. I'm sure they'll probably have 4 or 5 million manufactured already with the other few million set for April.

Schnozberry

Metroid Dread, developed by FROM Software. Nintendo gives up on trying to make Metroid appeal to everyone, focuses on turning it into their hardcore franchise.

Nah, give it to Tango Gameworks, and let Nintendo supervise the production. There are enough people at Tango former from Capcom, Clover Studios, Platinum, and Game Republic that they check all the boxes for having experience with things that people want to see from a Metroid Game. From horror and isolation, great gameplay, intricate level design, etc.

With a budget and help from Nintendo on getting the best performance out of The Switch, I think they'd be ideal.

Lucifon

I don't have the tweet, but I recall others saying that she pulled back on that one a bit. She stated that the second SKU might have just been a GAME exclusive. Time will tell!

Interesting. Would be weird to have a higher in-built storage bundle exclusive to GAME. Although the exclusive to GAME Nintendo stuff is always also available on the Nintendo Store.

Probably not in Europe purely because the store folk won't be at work at that time. I can't see places like GAME putting proper preorders live at 4 in the morning. And GAME will no doubt have a bunch of exclusive stuff as they always do with Nintendo things.

Outrun

I feel like I'm the only one that would be thrilled if Retro was still working on Donkey Kong Country. Though, I grew up with Donkey Kong, didn't play Metroid till much, much later.

35Fmd2J.jpg

That is great.

The picture made my day.

That is what gaming is all about.

Mokujin

Don't like the sound of another developer, new Retro Metroid Prime would make my hype go Supernova, but a botched Metroid would make me melt like the baddies from Indiana Jones and the lost Ark...

A Vanillaware-like 2D Metroid would be cool though.

I still believe Prime series are dead so I'm kind of ready to be dissapointed.

There are dozens of us

Interesting. Would be weird to have a higher in-built storage bundle exclusive to GAME. Although the exclusive to GAME Nintendo stuff is always also available on the Nintendo Store.

If I recall correctly, Laura never claimed to have information on a SKU with higher memory. She just speculated that a "deluxe" SKU would potentially offer that to differentiate itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom