• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch |DT2| No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness

Which of these definitely """real""" leaks are you most hyped for?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

random25

Give Metroid back to Sakamoto.
Make Metroid Great Again!!

¯_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯

To be fair, Other M is his only blunder, and he had lesser role there than the previous games because he shared the load with other guys over at KT.

I definitely agree with you there, the Deluxe made the Basic Wii-U look like garbage. This just circles back around to what I said about standard pricing for internal flash storage though.

The rumored 32Gb "base" model means the next move up is 64Gb, a bump that seems to have a standard mark up for $100. Even if Nintendo bucked the market standard and only charged $50 extra for more memory, they would be giving a full game completely for free. Given that information I just don't see this happening, but anything can happen I suppose.

you are comparing it to the phone market though, on a phone 32gb to 64gb is a hell of a lot more photos and more music but with the switch it'll be what 2 games maybe even just 1, a pretty pointless increase, also phone manufacturers get away with gouging like that because most people don't actually pay for their phones anyway, they don't see the extra 100 they just pay a few quid extra each month on their contract, if Nintendo tried following phone manufacturers storage pricing they would just look ridiculous comared to sony/ms

messiaen

I most definitely agree! Different SKU's in the form of game bundles work well down the line, but I've yet to see them make a big difference at launch. There's a reason that both Microsoft and Sony offered only one core SKU at launch for PS4/Xbox One.
Yeah, bundles are very clear. Mario Kart 8 is on the front of the box, must be included.

Multiple SKUs there's, oh well this one comes with composite cables, while this one includes an HDMI, this has AC 5ghz wifi while this only has n. Etc.

Most customers don't care about/understand the techno jargon. Just makes things more complicated. Wii was a way easier sell compared to the 360/PS3 back in those days simply because it was one SKU.

Astral Dog

Back then literally no one guessed they would've been developing Donkey Kong. After that, almost anything is possible for them.
The curios thing is that DK was the most safe and likely guess. Sequel to a successful game liked by both casual and core gamers alike. Funny how that works. People back then were more forgiving because a Metroid was being made alongside it.

MuchoMalo

Banned
I definitely agree with you there, the Deluxe made the Basic Wii-U look like garbage. This just circles back around to what I said about standard pricing for internal flash storage though.

The rumored 32Gb "base" model means the next move up is 64Gb, a bump that seems to have a standard mark up for $100. Even if Nintendo bucked the market standard and only charged $50 extra for more memory, they would be giving a full game completely for free. Given that information I just don't see this happening, but anything can happen I suppose.

Nintendo isn't in a position to sell consoles with a massive profit margin over $100. Also, that mark-up only really is seen in flagship phones; on cheaper devices it's $50 or even less at times. The bump in cost to Nintendo though? Less than $10.

I've just double checked and she did seem to suggest that was the info she had : "We have also learned that a separate SKU featuring more internal storage and a packed in game is planned to sell at £249.99"

That definitely seems to correct my statement! I don't claim to remember things exactly so I appreciate a correction. Mind sharing a direct link to that statement?

Richie

I feel like I'm the only one that would be thrilled if Retro was still working on Donkey Kong Country. Though, I grew up with Donkey Kong, didn't play Metroid till much, much later.

35Fmd2J.jpg

I totally expect to be making this face again when I open my Switch. :D

I doubt any other post will make me smile this much for the day's remainder. Fuzzy memories, thanks for sharing man.

Spy

Do you think we'll see a New Super Mario Bros. collection on the Switch?

New Super Mario Bros. (DS)
New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS)
New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii)
New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii U)
I'm not the biggest fan of the series but it would be nice to have all of the mainline Mario games on one console.

Piscus

I feel like I'm the only one that would be thrilled if Retro was still working on Donkey Kong Country. Though, I grew up with Donkey Kong, didn't play Metroid till much, much later.

35Fmd2J.jpg

I totally expect to be making this face again when I open my Switch. :D

You aren't alone, bro.

Scrawnton

I'm not the biggest fan of the series but it would be nice to have all of the mainline Mario games on one console.
The 2D Mario series needs another ten year hiatus.

Instro

Surprised at people saying no to PG developed Metroid. Maybe they think that means it would be purely a Bayonetta/DMC type game?

you are comparing it to the phone market though, on a phone 32gb to 64gb is a hell of a lot more photos and more music but with the switch it'll be what 2 games maybe even just 1, a pretty pointless increase, also phone manufacturers get away with gouging like that because most people don't actually pay for their phones anyway, they don't see the extra 100 they just pay a few quid extra each month on their contract, if Nintendo tried following phone manufacturers storage pricing they would just look ridiculous comared to sony/ms

Nintendo isn't in a position to sell consoles with a massive profit margin over $100. Also, that mark-up only really is seen in flagship phones; on cheaper devices it's $50 or even less at times. The bump in cost to Nintendo though? Less than $10.

I compared it to both the phone and tablet market, which both feature devices using the same kind of memory. I'm extremely open to correction if I'm wrong, but I just honestly couldn't find devices that offered a 32Gb to 64Gb bump in internal flash storage for less than $50 to $100. Any specific examples that counter that would be greatly appreciated! Until then I'll remain skeptical.

For Malo specifically: I never claimed that I think Nintendo would price a console with that high of a markup. I've stated that I think the market trends would deter them from offering that next step up at all.

random25

If we're arguing where to bring Metroid, just bring it to EAD or to the other internal studios in Nintendo Japan. You can never go wrong with those guys.

DMONKUMA

Surprised at people saying no to PG developed Metroid. Maybe they think that means it would be purely a Bayonetta/DMC type game?

Well it's their biggest strength, making stylish action.

Tho I somewhat understand the idea of FROM doing a Metroid game since they've made a lot of other things besides the Souls series and many of their games are in different genres as well.

So hyped so ready!! My biggest wish is a fixed virtual console this is gonna be the best retro gaming device available portable and large screen I'm gonna drop serious virtual cash here. If they fix it and not make me rebuy everything

Burai

shitonmychest57

No, they'll make you buy them separately on the Virtual Console. You'll get them, but for a price. And drip-fed over months/years.

1morerobot

I'm hoping Nintendo brings back one IP that hasn't had a sequel in a decade.

-F-Zero
-Star Tropics
-Mother (4)
-Wave Race
-Excite Bike
-Eternal Darkness

I'll take any of those. Wave Race at launch would so awesome. Fondly remember playing Blue Storm at GC launch.

the problem with the Wii U basic was the premium was just too good value wise (game, extra storage, sensor bar, stands, digital discounts), a simpler premium with just a game that at least a chunk wont want (as not everyone will want an upgraded port) and storage that not everyone will need (due to SD cards) could allow for a decent market for a lower priced system (especially if they can get it under 200 yankeebucks)

Am I the only one who got the Basic set? 8gb is nothing sure... but so is 32gb. I picked up Nintendo Land about a year later for $5, the Premium subscription was worthless thanks to eShop prices, and the rest of it is plastic junk (and I already had a sensor bar). The only regret i have is the cheap white that yellowed on the stick/dpad/buttons, in true Nintendo fashion!

Instro

Well it's their biggest strength, making stylish action.

Tho I somewhat understand the idea of FROM doing a Metroid game since they've made a lot of other things besides the Souls series and many of their games are in different genres as well.

Isn't that what 3D Metroid needs though, mechanically speaking? If they could build a traditional Metroid world around the combat & movement mechanics Platinum is known for, it could be something really special.

No problem! http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/11/report-uk-retailer-game-to-price-nintendo-switch-from-199-99/

That was the original report but I'm not sure if things have changed since then or if Laura has gone back on this?

Hm... That's definitely interesting! I'm ashamed of myself for forgetting that she published this, though it really isn't clear what she means in regards to the second SKU. She mentions a single source that knows the pack-in game, but that she wasn't willing to quote them. She also stated this in a Reddit AMA:

I'm aware neither Tom Phillips or Emily Rogers agree with me that Splatoon is being bundled with Switch in any way, but I have heard it from enough independant places I am still holding tight on that prediuction.

So it's not really clear I guess, but neither Eurogamer or Emily Rogers are backing her bundle claims. I guess there's some wiggle room here!

I compared it to both the phone and tablet market, which both feature devices using the same kind of memory. I'm extremely open to correction if I'm wrong, but I just honestly couldn't find devices that offered a 32Gb to 64Gb bump in internal flash storage for less than $50 to $100. Any specific examples that counter that would be greatly appreciated! Until then I'll remain skeptical.

For Malo specifically: I never claimed that I think Nintendo would price a console with that high of a markup. I've stated that I think the market trends would deter them from offering that next step up at all.

well apart from ipads (apple sheeple pay anything) and cheap Chinese tat (that is usually bellow 32gb anyway) there aint exactly much of a tablet market anyway

Splatoon bundled would be a great perk, I'm not personally interested in buying it again despite loving the game.

It would, however, be really smart to bundle it to make sure everyone who buys the Switch can experience the franchise and build the fanbase for longevity. Splatoon and Overwatch are the most fun I've had with multiplayer shooters since 007 and Halo 2.

Isn't that what 3D Metroid needs though, mechanically speaking? If they could build a traditional Metroid world around the combat & movement mechanics Platinum is known for, it could be something really special.

I don't really want that in Metroid at all. I like Metroid for its atmosphere and exploration. Going combat heavy like Other M takes away from this IMO and despite me being a huge Platinum fan myself, I haven't really had an instance where I've thought they would be good for Metroid.

I'm not saying they couldn't do it, but I'm not looking for a stylish action game with Metroid either.

I don't really want that in Metroid at all. I like Metroid for its atmosphere and exploration. Going combat heavy like Other M takes away from this IMO and despite me being a huge Platinum fan myself, I haven't really had an instance where I've thought they would be good for Metroid.

I'm not saying they couldn't do it, but I'm not looking for a stylish action game with Metroid either.
All of this.

Am I the only one who got the Basic set? 8gb is nothing sure... but so is 32gb. I picked up Nintendo Land about a year later for $5, the Premium subscription was worthless thanks to eShop prices, and the rest of it is plastic junk (and I already had a sensor bar). The only regret i have is the cheap white that yellowed on the stick/dpad/buttons, in true Nintendo fashion!

yeah 32gb was pretty much nothing, I had to get a hard drive after maybe a year or so but the 8gb (3gb actually useable) was literally nothing a couple of patches and a few save games and it'd be gone

Basically word for word how I feel about a Platinum Metroid.

Instro

I'm not suggesting it be any more combat heavy than other iterations of the series, I'm looking at it from the perspective of correctly approximating the agility and abilities on display in the 2D series into the 3D series. The Prime series never did that exceptionally well in the combat or in the overall movement of the character.

Other M attempted to do it, and in some ways succeeded, but not to a great extent and at the expense of other elements of the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom