• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch |DT2| No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness

Which of these definitely """real""" leaks are you most hyped for?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregano

I know. My point is Obe1 isn't credible as his leaks aren't leaks. Rather guesses.

I doubt he has insider knowledge.

Yeah fair enough. I'm not sure what to think that. He hasn't really said much and what he has said isn't too out there but there is weird stuff like him saying an exclusive SMT for Switch and then shortly after the 25th Anniversary site going up. Probably pure coincidence though.

Platinum would make a Metroid game where it's actually fun to control the character and fight things and we can't have that.

The thing about this is that few people felt like say Metroid Prime wasn't fun to control the character and fight things. More than that, most people would be understandably skeptical about Platinum being able to nail the atmosphere and quintessentials of Metroid. Team Ninja certainly didn't. And not saying Platinum would pull another Team Ninja, I'm saying that when you have a developer more tuned into combat design, that tends to be the focus and I can't imagine too many people wanting combat to be the focus of the Metroid franchise.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
GAF sure does Platinum, don't it?

Platinum doesn't need to do every game ever. They are good at certain types of games and those are the games they should stick with. Also, didn't Platinum want to own one of its own IPs for a change? I'd say let them see what they can come up with on their own.

JoeM86

Just put in my preorder in at GAME!

They said that I was around the 40th person to order and that the branch had the most preorders in the UK. Makes me a tad bit nervous that I won't get one on release but I doubt they've bought any Switches yet so I think it'll be fine, that and I had to put in a £20 deposit.

Hopefully they let us know ahead of time if we'll get one. My branch said they were expecting a total of over 100 pre-orders by launch

Scrawnton

GAF sure does Platinum, don't it?

Platinum doesn't need to do every game ever. They are good at certain types of games and those are the games they should stick with. Also, didn't Platinum want to own one of its own IPs for a change? I'd say let them see what they can come up with on their own.
Platinum and From Software; the two devs gaf would jump off a cliff for.

Peru

Metroid isn't just gameplay. It's an experience. You need someone to build a compelling world, and you need them to understand that you don't make Samus some talky gal waxing poetic about her struggles. In fact she shouldn't even have anyone to talk with.

Nairume

Banned
HAL Labs presents Samus & Kirby: The Great Zebes Cave Offensive.
LZdgZ81.png

Just put in my preorder in at GAME!

They said that I was around the 40th person to order and that the branch had the most preorders in the UK. Makes me a tad bit nervous that I won't get one on release but I doubt they've bought any Switches yet so I think it'll be fine, that and I had to put in a £20 deposit.

Do game have any suggested price yet?

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
As for Metroid, obviously I would love it to be helmed by Retro Studios once again and give us a proper Metroid Prime 4. But since Retro is doing their own thing right now that might be a while yet.

A From Metroid might be cool be cool in terms of creature design, connected world, and genuine fear at facing certain enemies and even choosing to sneak past some. Also they are also great at lore and atmosphere. BUT I really don't find From games nice to control... plus performance can be rough.

I could totally be down for something Monolith though. Or Bethesda <3

Grylvak

I think FromSoftware would be great at making a Animal Crossing game. :p

Really though I how about a Last Story sequel by FromSoftware.

Nairume

Banned
Yeah fair enough. I'm not sure what to think that. He hasn't really said much and what he has said isn't too out there but there is weird stuff like him saying an exclusive SMT for Switch and then shortly after the 25th Anniversary site going up. Probably pure coincidence though.
And maybe we just need to just accept that there is a chance that he does actually have connections and the stuff that seems like he's just guessing at obvious things is, well, because they were obvious enough for to Nintendo to push for them happening.

A From Metroid might be cool be cool in terms of creature design, connected world, and genuine fear at facing certain enemies and even choosing to sneak past some. Also they are also great at lore and atmosphere. BUT I really don't find From games nice to control... plus performance can be rough.

I could totally be down for something Monolith though. Or Bethesda <3

When you say Monolith do you mean Monolith Soft? I could dig Metroid with the world design at least done partly by Monolith Soft. Bethesda though? They can stay as far from Metroid as possible.

I think it's somewhere around 99% safe to assume that we're never getting a Metroid game from Platinum or From so the debate is likely useless anyway :p

I'd love to see either on Castlevania though. Release your IP's, Konami.

messiaen

I'd say FROM are the only Japanese studio that might be able to nail a Metroid game, but I think it should be handed to a western developer, honestly.

Can't see Platinum doing the series much justice based off of the brand they aim for.

I'm not sure Metroid would be a good fit for platinum. Metroid Prime's main draw was it's atmosphere, feeling of solitude and level design. Platinum have never really excelled in these areas.

Now a collaboration where the pure gameplay mechanics are handled by platinum, the level design, overall aesthetic and story by fromsoft and the original composer of the Prime series on the OST. Shit would be LIT.

Edit - but ofcourse id much prefer platinum to be busy on delivering a platinum collection (bayo 1, 2 and W101) alongside bayo 3 and w101-2.

Soul Lab

PlatinumGames!!!!! The Wonderful 102, Bayonetta 3 and a new IP pls!!!
ok, one of the three would be enough to die from hype

High I say! Diablo 3 and Overwatch would be great on the Switch and Blizzard love porting Diablo 3.

Do they?

"Half" of it has been on PS3/360 (I think?), while Ultimate Evil Edition is PS4/XB1 and otherwise its just the default platforms of PC/Mac...also they have a comparative skeleton crew on D3 because of work on D4 so I'm not sure they want to spend time and money on a port....

It'd be fun if it controlled well. I think OW probably wouldn't happen anyway, for D3 and OW the patching and balancing is different to PC and I think the teams almost wish they didn't have to bother at all.

I think it's somewhere around 99% safe to assume that we're never getting a Metroid game from Platinum or From so the debate is likely useless anyway :p

I'd love to see either on Castlevania though. Release your IP's, Konami.

I'm sure no one expected a Metroid game by Team Ninja but it happened, I don't think it's ridiculous for either Platinum or From to take a stab at Metroid.

Somnia

Hearthstone I feel would be a natural Blizzard fit. Even if the Switch doesn't have touch screen, I think it could work.

Hearthstone, Gwent and the new Elder Scrolls Legends would all make fun F2P card games on the Switch.

I just have almost no hope for 3rd parties other than Japan right now on this. I'll keep my hope really low on that end of things and be surprised at whatever we get.

Lucifon

Hopefully they let us know ahead of time if we'll get one. My branch said they were expecting a total of over 100 pre-orders by launch
Surely GAME won't have online preorders live at 4am. I'm holding off as I'd like to get a bundle and pick my preorder rather than just a base model but I'm worried they'll sell out of day one pre-orders before I wake up around 7am.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I would imagine very low. Blizzard gains nothing from it.
Reports of people gathering to play Overwatch in the most unlikely places. Casuals being exposed to Overwatch being played in those places.

What Switch can do to brand exposures is still underestimated. Phenomenal games will benefit the most from the "out of the living room" exposure. Overwatch is obviously such a game.

Rambler

The thing about this is that few people felt like say Metroid Prime wasn't fun to control the character and fight things. More than that, most people would be understandably skeptical about Platinum being able to nail the atmosphere and quintessentials of Metroid. Team Ninja certainly didn't. And not saying Platinum would pull another Team Ninja, I'm saying that when you have a developer more tuned into combat design, that tends to be the focus and I can't imagine too many people wanting combat to be the focus of the Metroid franchise.
I want it. Samus is the star of Metroid, not the environment.

When you say Monolith do you mean Monolith Soft? I could dig Metroid with the world design at least done partly by Monolith Soft. Bethesda though? They can stay as far from Metroid as possible.

Yes, sorry, I meant Monolith Soft.

Maybe Square Enix could do Metroid... then give From or Monolith Soft Kid Icarus.

Scrawnton

Reports of people gathering to play Overwatch in the most unlikely places. Casuals being exposed to Overwatch being played in those places.

What Switch can do to brand exposures is still underestimated. Phenomenal games will benefit the most from the "out of the living room" exposure. Overwatch is obviously such a game.
So either enough people will gather for a big LAN party in the middle of the park or someone has a bomb phone hotspot connnection.

I don't think an online only shooter is a fit for Nintendos new system. Atleast now at launch or close to it.

psyfi

Banned
It's time to ditch the Prime series. I want a new first person Metroid, but I want a new aesthetic, something akin to Zero Mission but in 3D. The closest examples I can think of are Borderlands and Overwatch -- I want that cartoony look, but dripping with that feeling of alien creepiness and isolation that Metroid is so good at.

Barring that, at least give us a new 2D Metroid, too. 2D at launch and first person Spring 2018?

Nintendo is banking on the Switch being a mobile multiplayer machine as its killer feature.
Well, that's news to me. I've heard very little excitement or discussion about that.

Pretty much summing up my disapointement reading these switch preditcion threads.
Everyon'es discussing about pure specs and ips...almost nothing about the console features and what new they will bring to the table.

I want it. Samus is the star of Metroid, not the environment.

If it weren't for the atmosphere and environmental design, I wouldn't care about Samus. These things all work together organically. It's not about one thing.

She's also practically a non-character that is more of an avatar for the player.

It's time to ditch the Prime series. I want a new first person Metroid, but I want a new aesthetic, something akin to Zero Mission but in 3D. The closest examples I can think of are Borderlands and Overwatch -- I want that cartoony look, but dripping with that feeling of alien creepiness and isolation that Metroid is so good at.

Barring that, at least give us a new 2D Metroid, too. 2D at launch and first person Spring 2018?

I think giving an indie a 2D Metroid could be a good risk.

Scrawnton

Pretty much summing up my disapointement reading these switch preditcion threads.
Everyon'es discussing about pure specs and ips...almost nothing about the console features and what new they will bring to the table.
The console will be just like Wii U at the OS level I think. It'll be fully touch compatible on the go and controller compatible at home.

I want that cartoony look, but dripping with that feeling of alien creepiness and isolation that Metroid is so good at.

Are you me? This is what I've wanted my whole life.

SI_GBA_MetroidZeroMission.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom