• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch |DT2| No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness

Which of these definitely """real""" leaks are you most hyped for?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fossi8

My dream is to see a new adventure game a la Subspace Emissary with Nintendo main characters of course a super extended version of the mode we had in SSBB.

DMONKUMA

Isn't that what 3D Metroid needs though, mechanically speaking? If they could build a traditional Metroid world around the combat & movement mechanics Platinum is known for, it could be something really special.

So something like Nier:Automata? I mean the problem with that game is that some expect the combat to take over the RPG and Taro's own story aspect of the game, which could be a similiar concern to how they develop Metroid. Then again they also had part in Star Fox Zero so it could go anyway I suppose.

watershed

Banned
I also think Platinum Games are too gamey for a lack of a better word. I don't find their games immersive in the way Metroid should be. Their stuff is more light in tone or intentionally over the top with lots of flashy action.

Aldric

I'm not suggesting it be any more combat heavy than other iterations of the series, I'm looking at it from the perspective of correctly approximating the agility and abilities on display in the 2D series into the 3D series. The Prime series never did that exceptionally well in the combat or in the overall movement of the character.

No one cares about that except the people who think Metroid is Sonic the Hedgehog or a classic run and gun like Contra. The original Metroid games aren't fast paced games at all and even in Super Samus has a certain floatiness and weight to her physics. lf anything the fact Prime was so well received despite somehow nerfed movements shows that the essence of Metroid is in its level design structure and progression system, not in combat or traversal options.

kitsuneyo

I also think Platinum Games are too gamey for a lack of a better word. I don't find their games immersive in the way Metroid should be. Their stuff is more light in tone or intentionally over the top with lots of flashy action.

Also, 2 out of 3 of their Wii U games really fell short. I liked W101 in many ways, but it was lacking Nintendo polish.

JoeM86

Worried I'd be on a train when pre-orders go up, I just went to GAME to pre-order mine in brick & mortar. Guess it means I don't have to worry about waiting for delivery drivers all day too

If I get a better deal online, I'll just cancel.

well apart from ipads (apple sheeple pay anything) and cheap Chinese tat (that is usually bellow 32gb anyway) there aint exactly much of a tablet market anyway

I don't really think that makes much of a statement here. Do you really think Nintendo would ignore the trends set by smartphones and tablets just because their device is a bit different? I'm just not convinced here.

Honestly I'd rather see Platinum developing Bayonetta 3 than a new Metroid

I want to see them do a proper Okami sequel. Bayo can wait as far as I'm concerned.

Why not both?

I definitely want both ASAP, but I'm not sure Platinum could handle working on both games at the same time. Their "B" team hasn't really given me much of a reason to be confident in them. I'd greatly prefer to see Okami first.

This.
Bayonetta 3 will be the same shit all over again.
It's good shit but would rather Platinum do something else.
Like Viewtiful Joe 3.

Man... That would be incredible if Capcom let them do that. Take the IP they're just sitting on and make something out of it.

OBE1 saying that there is a new Metroid being made by a developer he was not expecting.

So it's could be bullshit and most likely is.
Nobody is expecting a Metriod game honestly. Even from Retro considering many still use that " all the Prime people are gone".

I hope people don't start to take him serious when somes of his "leaks" come true.

Also, 2 out of 3 of their Wii U games really fell short. I liked W101 in many ways, but it was lacking Nintendo polish.

In what ways was it lacking polish? I strongly disagree. The game looked, controlled and ran great, had tons of content, etc. The only part of the game that didn't always click 100% were the weird sections where you went inside somewhere and had to look at the gamepad.

Otherwise I think it's exceptionally polished.

Also, nice Deerhoof avatar. Haven't listened to them in ages.

DMONKUMA

Nobody is expecting a Metriod game honestly. Even from Retro considering many still use that " all the Prime people are gone".

I hope people don't start to take him serious when somes of his "leaks" come true.

I mean before hand he reported on the smallest of rumors about Switch when we only knew about it as the "NX" and a lot of the things he got his info from were just random details that didn't make sense.

So it's nothing new.

I don't really think that makes much of a statement here. Do you really think Nintendo would ignore the trends set by smartphones and tablets just because their device is a bit different? I'm just not convinced here.

I want to see them do a proper Okami sequel. Bayo can wait as far as I'm concerned.

When their device is competing with the ps4/bone then yes they should absolutely ignore smartphone/tablet pricing trends

Seriously, how about a Nintendogs from Platinum???

Those dogs will do tricks that you could only dream of.

When their device is competing with the ps4/bone then yes they should absolutely ignore smartphone/tablet pricing trends

You have a good argument for why the Switch shouldn't be priced against other tablets, but not for the memory issue that we're discussing. PS4/Xbox One don't compete with PC's and laptops, but they still charge a premium for extra built-in HDD space.

Oregano

To be fair others have suggested a Metroid game is in development too.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

I'd be leary of that personally. I haven't tended to like Platinum games as I don't like action games in general, especially ones with combo-based combat etc.

Okami I loved as it was super laid back, easy, simple combat ala Zelda. Make the combat more complex with combos etc. and it will be something I end up not like ala Dark Siders that I would have dug with more basic combat and thus more focus on the dungeons and puzzles.

Any college football fans here? Thought some might like these designs I made

74CoZum.jpg

wtUhIoN.jpg

Scrawnton

If Platinum is on the stream tomorrow I will pee myself.
I would be shocked if Nintendo doesn't have Platinum Games on board for Switch. If they didn't before, they definitely do now after scalebound being canned. Nintendo will wave some money around for a Bayonetta <3

I'm not suggesting it be any more combat heavy than other iterations of the series, I'm looking at it from the perspective of correctly approximating the agility and abilities on display in the 2D series into the 3D series. The Prime series never did that exceptionally well in the combat or in the overall movement of the character.

I get what you're saying, but I don't think it needs to be everything and the kitchen sink. I think Metroid is great because the gameplay is simplistic in nature and works in tandem with the environments, atmosphere and exploration. When playing Super Metroid or Prime, I never thought, well I wish this had a heavier emphasis on combat, combos, etc. It just worked for what it was trying to do.

Again and this is all just hypothetical, but the way I look at it, trying to do all the above could lead to a confused development scenario if they try and create a deeper combat system while also trying to emphasize the other tropes that people mainly anticipate Metroid games over.

Would I complain if I got a Metroid that managed to do all this? Doubtful, but I'd give that developer some major kudos for being able to pull that off. The closest thing is Soulsborne, but that doesn't really have the "Platinum" style combat. I'd want something closer to that if something like this were to happen, but I'd still be totally fine with the more simplistic gameplay and approach to enemy encounters.

With Metroid the enemies are obstacles in the way of exploration. Platinum does games where the enemies are the focus of the entire game design.

Instro

No one cares about that except the people who think Metroid is Sonic the Hedgehog or a classic run and gun like Contra. The original Metroid games aren't fast paced games at all and even in Super Samus has a certain floatiness and weight to her physics. lf anything the fact Prime was so well received despite somehow nerfed movements shows that the essence of Metroid is in its level design structure and progression system, not in combat or traversal options.

Well yes those elements tend to hold less value overall with the gaming/reviewing community, but there's room for improvement on the front in the 3D series. Super is particularly great with how well implemented stuff like wall jumping, the speed booster, shine sparking, etc., are.

Oh on a side note, if they go the Prime route again, game speed and encounter design similar to the recent DOOM would be great.

18-Volt

Only thing I wanted from Geno's so-called leaks was the VanillaWare Metroid. It's actually believable too, Vanilla's only project 13 Sentinels is nowhere to be seen, they might have delayed it to make Metroid.

Nairume

Banned
OBE1 saying that there is a new Metroid being made by a developer he was not expecting. So it's could be bullshit and most likely is.

Discussion of Metroid also.
If true, it'll be interesting to see who it is.

And maybe more interesting to see how people react, since Metroid is easily a touchy subject right now

Scrawnton

Did anyone discuss the retweet from Suda51? Its a vg247 article saying he wants to make a Switch game that's as distinctive as No More Heroes.

Somnia

FYI GameStop will 100% be taking pre-orders in store on Friday at open. No idea on #'s per store or anything, they will each have that info sometime Thursday. Some stores may share this with you, some won't. All depends on the store manager and staff.

Rambler

Platinum would make a Metroid game where it's actually fun to control the character and fight things and we can't have that.

Oh on a side note, if they go the Prime route again, game speed and encounter design similar to the recent DOOM would be great.

Heh, maybe we're just on polar opposite sides of what we want out of Metroid :p

That's totally cool though. It's interesting hearing other perspectives. To be fair I was a little weirded out about Prime at first because of it going third person, but was pleasantly surprised and it ended up being one of my favorite games ever.

But, that's also mostly because they kept the atmosphere and environmental design emphasized over the combat despite being more combat heavy.

marmoka

Banned
Any college football fans here? Thought some might like these designs I made

74CoZum.jpg

so8hQad.jpg

Not a football fan, but I love your designs. They are really cool. If you could make some NBA or Euroleague Basketball designs, you would give me some ideas to customize my Switch, haha.

Great work dude! Really!

Barring some stupid high price - which 99.9% ain't gonna happen, then again I'm from the UK so... - I'll be getting this, for some of the Nintendo games, future SMT games and so on.

Don't know if I have the energy to get up at 3.55am on Friday to see the presentation, but it would be fun.

Plum

Just put in my preorder in at GAME!

They said that I was around the 40th person to order and that the branch had the most preorders in the UK. Makes me a tad bit nervous that I won't get one on release but I doubt they've bought any Switches yet so I think it'll be fine, that and I had to put in a £20 deposit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom