• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch |DT2| No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness

Which of these definitely """real""" leaks are you most hyped for?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's time to ditch the Prime series. I want a new first person Metroid, but I want a new aesthetic, something akin to Zero Mission but in 3D. The closest examples I can think of are Borderlands and Overwatch -- I want that cartoony look, but dripping with that feeling of alien creepiness and isolation that Metroid is so good at.

Barring that, at least give us a new 2D Metroid, too. 2D at launch and first person Spring 2018?

Federation Force spoilers:
fedforceending.png

Prime 4 is happening man, maybe Nintendo have more projects in development but one of them is Prime 4 for sure.

shiyrley

Banned
Do you think this will have 4k upscaling when docked? I think so. I don't expect ANY 4k games (except maybe N64 virtual console or something like that) but I think it will at least allow for 4k output and upscale everything to 4k.

And hopefully 1440p output
lol won't happen we don't exist, even the fucking PS4 pro which has a lot of games running at 1440p doesn't have a 1440p output option

Nairume

Banned
It's not ridiculous, but I think it could be now especially after the failure that game was. :p
I imagine they've had plenty of time to figure out things between Other M and FF as to what hampered those games enough to better figure out who would be well suited to handle the series.

Alternatively, if it really is a surprising pick, whoever gets tapped is just being picked for their abilities as a work for hire and we just need to hope that their past experience can be translated to the things people like about Metroid.

Somnia

Just thought I'd post again for the new page incase anyone is worried.

GameStop beings pre-orders first thing Friday morning at stores. Stores will find out their allocation Thursday night (most stores won't tell you, but some will depending on the store).

No suggestions on how early to get there or whatever, but I know I personally will be getting there at 9, an hour before open, just to be safe.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
So either enough people will gather for a big LAN party in the middle of the park or someone has a bomb phone hotspot connnection.

I don't think an online only shooter is a fit for Nintendos new system. Atleast now at launch or close to it.
If you have a smartphone you have a hotspot. And if you own a Switch you most likely have a smartphone.

Nairume

Banned
Federation Force spoilers:
fedforceending.png

Prime 4 is happening man, maybe Nintendo have more projects in development but one of them is Prime 4 for sure.
That spoiler doesn't necessarily mean a new Prime.

Given the suggestion that
there is possibly still a real non-cloned Metroid out there
, it's possible that they are setting up Metroid 5 proper.

Pachimari

I just wanna see what Capcom and Level-5 have up their sleeves for the Switch honestly. Their software output are what I'm most excited for besides some of Nintendo's own.

DonShula

Do you think this will have 4k upscaling when docked? I think so. I don't expect ANY 4k games (except maybe N64 virtual console or something like that) but I think it will at least allow for 4k output and upscale everything to 4k.

lol won't happen we don't exist, even the fucking PS4 pro which has a lot of games running at 1440p doesn't have a 1440p output option

Nope. Maybe next time.

Plum

Hopefully they let us know ahead of time if we'll get one. My branch said they were expecting a total of over 100 pre-orders by launch

Yeah, the cashier did say that they would text or phone a few days before. I doubt that if you get in an order before Friday you'll miss one; it's clear that they haven't actually had an allotment for each store yet (and there are fewer stores than Gamestops in the US). You should only have to worry if you get one in late January-Early March I think.

Do game have any suggested price yet?

Nah, I just had to put a £20 deposit down.

Nairume

Banned
Just thought I'd post again for the new page incase anyone is worried.

GameStop beings pre-orders first thing Friday morning at stores. Stores will find out their allocation Thursday night (most stores won't tell you, but some will depending on the store).

No suggestions on how early to get there or whatever, but I know I personally will be getting there at 9, an hour before open, just to be safe.
Yeah, I was at a GS yesterday and the manager said in no uncertain terms that preorders were starting friday.

That spoiler doesn't necessarily mean a new Prime.

Given the suggestion that
there is possibly still a real non-cloned Metroid out there
, it's possible that they are setting up Metroid 5 proper.

Federation Force takes place after Prime 3 and the person
stealing the Metroid is Sylux from Prime Hunters

Hmm... so OBE1 says Metroid by unexpected dev, I'm not really hoping for Platinum here. But honestly, I could see Nintendo wanting to license that out. I am hoping for a return to Prime styled games, but if it is Platinum I really hope that they can make a slower paced game focused more around puzzle and environment.

Lucifon

The x1 is certainly capable - look at the shield tv. It depends if Nintendo included the other bits to allow for it though... So probably not.

Yeah, the cashier did say that they would text or phone a few days before. I doubt that if you get in an order before Friday you'll miss one; it's clear that they haven't actually had an allotment for each store yet (and there are fewer stores than Gamestops in the US). You should only have to worry if you get one in late January-Early March I think.

Nah, I just had to put a £20 deposit down.

Ah, cool. I have a pre order with ShopTo atm but I'm open to change....depends on any retailer specific bundles. I'm hoping for...(and being vaguely pipe-dreamy here) £199 for basic model with bugger all storage and £250 for a "delxue" version...but I'll end up buying a microSD or w/e to expand internal storage anyway. £300 would be the limit before I start to think about it. Can't imagine its that, or more, though.

Yeah didn't the dev state that the
ship at the end of prime 3
was Sylux's and a future metroid game will focus about slyux's and samus's relationship

Nairume

Banned
I know it's stuff from Prime thus far, but it's still possible they might be setting up things for a non-Prime.

Given, unless they eventually do a full reboot or keep doing games that take place before Metroids were supposedly wiped out, they're going to have to figure out a way to handle the titular creatures that isn't just "we made clones again"

TDLink

I think Platinum is a great developer but I also don't see them being a good fit for Metroid.

Let them stick to what they're strong at, fast paced action games. Or at least RPGs with action gameplay (like what they're doing with Granblue Fantasy).

Metroid is completely out of their wheelhouse from everything we've seen.

There are lots of other Nintendo franchises that they would be a better fit for. A Murasame revival from them would be fine. Kid Icarus would be a great fit if Sakurai is not interested. The proposed Captain Falcon action game is something that would work great.

Scrawnton

Switch doesn't need its own 4K upscaler for games. The Xbox One S has a 4K upscaler for all of their games and I have to turn it off because my Samsung's built in 4K upscaler is vastly superior to whatever solution Xbox came up with. It might be wasted money for Nintendo becaue 4K TVs already do a great job at upscaling on their own.

Unless it has motion/IR aiming, there's no real point to it imo.

Really? We're definitely of different minds then. I'd love to play Overwatch around the house. The only thing I'd be skeptical of would be the player base. No fun in playing Overwatch on the toilet with the same 12 people over and over again.

The next 2d Mario needs to have the same artstyle as Mario Adventures

It's not exactly the same, but this is what I've always appreciated about the Mario & Luigi series. Really hoping we get a proper one of those games again in the near future.

Yeah didn't the dev state that the
ship at the end of prime 3
was Sylux's and a future metroid game will focus about slyux's and samus's relationship

Yeah that was from 2015
"He’s actually chasing after Samus, and that’s where that game ends," Tanabe said. "There’s still more I want to build around the story of Sylux and Samus. There’s something going on between them. I want to make a game that touches upon [it]."

"I’m also thinking that, in that eventual game between Sylux and Samus that might get made, that I wants to involve the [Galactic] Federation as well," he said. "So it would be a good idea to release a game like Federation Forces to flesh out its role in the galaxy before moving on to that."

Federation Force was setting the stage for what is most likely Prime 4.

AzaK

Cuningas de Häme;228065288 said:
This.

Nintendo needs to embrace it Japanese heritage. They need to be proud of what they are and where they are from. Everything being a US centric is a tad tiring, to be honest.

If the Switch really catches on, I hope that Japanese devs will shower it with games. And publishing them in the West too, subs are a lot cheaper to do than dubs (one would think at least) so shouldn't be too hard?

I hope that we start getting more and more subs for Japanese dubs, it is annoying to get English dubs for everything. I am not an English speaking person so I am used to read subs in about everything, it is not hard. And it helps to develop your reading skills too!

I certainly never said it should be a US thing. I said a non-Japanese thing. That's their biggest market.

I've said it before but the place Nintendo actually has an opportunity to capture third party support is Japan so it absolutely makes sense to lean into that. If they have managed to get a lot of this party support it probably makes sense to do it in Japan and show as many as those games as possible.

Then it will be a boring console if it's just "Japanese" games, whatever that means.

His predictions for the conference:
Imagine that, in Japanese.

Joke aside, the Japanese 3DS reveal trailer showing all upcoming games was easily the best we had. The "Wii want to play ad" showing the 2 Japanese guys was super effective portraying a foreign/new piece of technology. Japanese 3rd party support for the system will most likely be huge. And as others said, it's their heritage. No offense to NOA or NOE, but they are distributors. Nintendo is Japan.

All they said was "we would like to play".....IN ENGLISH! Imagine them saying that, in Japanese with bad overdubbing. Also, it was an ad, not an E3 style console reveal.

Nintendo comes from Japan but they sell worldwide. With Wii U they started to double down on Japanese partnerships and gave up on the west. Remember how that ended up?

And as I said, do a Japanese conference if you must, but do a really cool, exciting one in English too without a bunch of people bumbling with a language they can't speak. It ruins the flow.

Tarrin

I visited my local EB games today, to trade in some old games for PSN cards, and the dude behind the counter and I started talking about the Switch.

I asked when are pre-orders opening up; tomorrow after the presentation he said. Cool.

I asked him if he knew what the price of the Switch would be. Apparently the price is gonna be $349CAD. Said he didn't know if the Switch would come with a game or not. There will be trade in deals though.

I'm hoping he's mistaken, but $350 isn't that bad really. Least I don't think so.

Now I'm only reporting what I was told. I'm unaware of any rumor prices or anything like that. Also I don't know what that would be US.

I am excited for the Switch though. I'm kinda hoping it will replace my tablet; would be cool to bring it on the train and just browse the internet or listen to music etc.

Vexii

I can't wait for this presentation. I'm pretty lucky to have gotten time off work around that time, too, so I don't need to worry too much about sleep debt.

Also... I feel really dumb for asking, but I am new; Who do "OT", "DT", etc. actually mean?

realdragon75

Neo Member
Then who would honestly be a good developer for a 3D Metroid?

Whichever internal Capcom team made Mega Man Legends 1 and 2. They could make a nice adventure, and it would have improved mechanics for sure (from Legends).

I also think that Bungie or Arkane would be able to make a great first person Metroid game, but since that's never going to happen, what about Turtle Rock Studios? With good direction from Nintendo, they could make a great game.

Really? We're definitely of different minds then. I'd love to play Overwatch around the house. The only thing I'd be skeptical of would be the player base. No fun in playing Overwatch on the toilet with the same 12 people over and over again.

It's not exactly the same, but this is what I've always appreciated about the Mario & Luigi series. Really hoping we get a proper one of those games again in the near future.

The Wii CoD games were great because of their aiming, and it would make overwatch stand out on the Switch.

I visited my local EB games today, to trade in some old games for PSN cards, and the dude behind the counter and I started talking about the Switch.

I asked when are pre-orders opening up; tomorrow after the presentation he said. Cool.

I asked him if he knew what the price of the Switch would be. Apparently the price is gonna be $349CAD. Said he didn't know if the Switch would come with a game or not. There will be trade in deals though.

I'm hoping he's mistaken, but $350 isn't that bad really. Least I don't think so.

That's about $250 in USD, so that definitely adds up with everything else we've seen. Interesting that this is yet another report of only one SKU. Either stores aren't getting that yet or we definitely just have one model. I'm pretty ok with one SKU honestly. At the very least it should make getting a pre-order easier.

The Wii CoD games were great because of their aiming, and it would make overwatch stand out on the Switch.

It would definitely make it stand out, I just don't know if that's as much of a selling feature. I guess we'll see in due time though. I have my fingers crossed that we'll get Overwatch. If the online was free for Switch, I would absolutely make that my place to play.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
It's time to ditch the Prime series. I want a new first person Metroid, but I want a new aesthetic, something akin to Zero Mission but in 3D. The closest examples I can think of are Borderlands and Overwatch -- I want that cartoony look, but dripping with that feeling of alien creepiness and isolation that Metroid is so good at.

Barring that, at least give us a new 2D Metroid, too. 2D at launch and first person Spring 2018?

Strong no to that idea from me. I tolerate cartoony art styles in games like Overwatch and especially Borderlands (was really hoping Destiny was going to be Borderlands with an artstyle and setting I actually liked), but generally am not a fan outside of genres/ips like Mario were they really fit.

I want any future Metroid to be a first person showcase like the Prime games were. I know the GC didn't sell well so it didn't help, but it's the last Nintendo console I truly loved as it had exclusives like the Prime games, Eternal Darkness the RE games (timed exclusives anyway) to balance out the Wind Wakers and other cartoony games and added much needed variety.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
And as I said, do a Japanese conference if you must, but do a really cool, exciting one in English too without a bunch of people bumbling with a language they can't speak. It ruins the flow.
I want to fast forward each time Reggie speaks AFAIC. The conference can be in Japanese and exciting. The amount of games they show + how they show the system being used is what will make it good or bad anyway.

psyfi

Banned
I couldn't care less about Sylux or really any other Metroid plot line. I have some interest in the Chozo, but I prefer them to stay on mysterious and ancient background setting. Just give me a huge alien labyrinth world to explore and we good.

Are you me? This is what I've wanted my whole life.

SI_GBA_MetroidZeroMission.jpg
:)

I love the ZM art style so much. I'm not sure if it could translate well to 3D, but I'd like to see'em try. I just really want them to give first person Metroid a visual refresh. Prime feels stale to me.

0racle

That's about $250 in USD, so that definitely adds up with everything else we've seen. Interesting that this is yet another report of only one SKU. Either stores aren't getting that yet or we definitely just have one model. I'm pretty ok with one SKU honestly. At the very least it should make getting a pre-order easier.

It would definitely make it stand out, I just don't know if that's as much of a selling feature. I guess we'll see in due time though. I have my fingers crossed that we'll get Overwatch. If the online was free for Switch, I would absolutely make that my place to play.

They need to keep it simple.

stop messing around with different colored consoles, different storage space, different accessories included ect.

have one system and produce it for the masses. There is always one sku that HEAVILY outsells the other, and they know this. I never saw the point of splitting their launch like that.

Strong no to that idea from me. I tolerate cartoony art styles in games like Overwatch and especially Borderlands (was really hoping Destiny was going to be Borderlands with an artstyle and setting I actually liked), but generally am not a fan outside of genres/ips like Mario were they really fit.

I want any future Metroid to be a first person showcase like the Prime games were. I know the GC didn't sell well so it didn't help, but it's the last Nintendo console I truly loved as it had exclusives like the Prime games, Eternal Darkness the RE games (timed exclusives anyway) to balance out the Wind Wakers and other cartoony games and added much needed variety.

There hasn't really been a realistic styled Metroid, they've all generally followed a distinct style, heck Fusion felt like a comic book. I wouldn't be opposed to a cartoon styled Metroid but it would have to justify it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom