• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch |DT2| No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness

Which of these definitely """real""" leaks are you most hyped for?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Somnia

Mobile/Switch cross-save would be pretty dope

I have a feeling that's what will most likely happen. They'll release Animal Crossing Mobile first and then Switch version later and they'll tie into each other somehow. Maybe you can make assets for your home/characters in the mobile game to put into the Switch version?

Peoples expectations are starting to get a little crazy. Seems like before every Nintendo announcement there is a ton of crazy speculation Then people are disappointed. Keep your expectations in check as a piece of advice.

If we get Zelda at launch and Mario at launch or near after I'll be happy. Everything else is a bonus in my opinion but I have no expectation of anything else.

Griss

I'll continue to try to "force" the discution :)

Multiplayer on the go seems to be the biggest feature of the console. Outside of 2 player on the same screen, it does appear that two consoles can be used to play 2v2 versus, using a simple ad-hoc connection.
I'm intringued by the splatoon part, where 4 friends play localy against an online team.
Wonder if nintendo will add some sort of envolved "street pass" features to the whole experience.

Anyways, once more, I fully expect the oficial presentation to be heavily focused on the "real life" social aspect of the switch, and am willing to bet my hat that most of the big reveals will be based on that.

Nintendo's focus on local multiplayer is easily my biggest annoyance with the company. If the Switch is heavily based around local multiplayer it could potentially ruin the whole damn thing for me.

I really don't expect that, though. It'll be a nice bonus feature, not the main event.

They've got to be able to look at the fact that
a) Online multiplayer games are thriving, and
b) They made an online shooter and it was their biggest new IP in a decade

and realise that that is the past, present and future of multiplayer. If, in a post-Splatoon world, they're still trying to sell us on local multiplayer as the main event then they'll deserve to go bust for sheer pigheadedness.

Local multiplayer ruined Super Mario 3D World's level design and I'm still not over it

I have a feeling that's what will most likely happen. They'll release Animal Crossing Mobile first and then Switch version later and they'll tie into each other somehow. Maybe you can make assets for your home/characters in the mobile game to put into the Switch version?

Man... Animal Crossing on mobile could be absolutely top-notch. So many aspects of that game could be split into mobile-friendly mini-games. I'm thinking we'd have the option to transfer some money/resources/furniture to the full game from the mobile version. Designing outfits and maybe decorating your house on the go could be pretty cool as well.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Peoples expectations are starting to get a little crazy. Seems like before every Nintendo announcement there is a ton of crazy speculation Then people are disappointed. Keep your expectations in check as a piece of advice.

If we get Zelda at launch and Mario at launch or near after I'll be happy. Everything else is a bonus in my opinion but I have no expectation of anything else.

You think thats all theres gonna be even though Wii U is dead and all its projects got moved to Switch?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I can't wait for this presentation. I'm pretty lucky to have gotten time off work around that time, too, so I don't need to worry too much about sleep debt.

Also... I feel really dumb for asking, but I am new; Who do "OT", "DT", etc. actually mean?

Ot is official topic.

DT is desperation topic , for when GAF gonna GAF.

No I don't actually know what they mean either

Discussion Thread :p

Pretty much my expectations too. I already have a PS4 and PC, so if there's no similar third party support, I'll be fine. I would prefer to have everything on the Switch though and keep my PS4 and PC for exclusives, so that would be a HUGE bonus if we got those games.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
That's just 4 player VS local play. There's nothing new with that, as all Nintendo handhelds since the GBA have been capable of local multiplayer (and even the DS and 3DS were capable of up to 16 players simultaneously).
You could be playing Splatoon or (dare I dream) Fifa now. That's what is different. Not only handheld games. The real deal.

I can't be far from the truth saying a majority of console/PC gamers spend most of their time, with addiction, on a few selection of games they love. Splatoon, Fifa, Overwatch, Rocket League, etc. We would play these even more, if they were available for us at other times of the day, when we're not home.

I would not rush to play Fifa on Vita (no matter how much I liked it) with friends. But the same FIFA we play online, in the same room at work? We talk about that perspective.

TunaLover

Meh I don't like local multiplayer, it alwys feels akward at least for me, can't help to feel the other player is ruining my controllers lol, not an enjoyable experience. I prefer online multiplayer, never been a fan how splitscreen screw framerate.

JoeM86

nintendo_switch_intro_video_most_popular_nintendo_youtube-700x394.jpg

Nintendo-Switch-1-940x545.jpg

nintendo-switch-splatoon.jpg

Nintendo-Switch.jpg

Multiplayer on the go seems to be the biggest feature of the console. Outside of 2 player on the same screen, it does appear that two consoles can be used to play 2v2 versus, using a simple ad-hoc connection.
I'm intringued by the splatoon part, where 4 friends play localy against an online team.
Wonder if nintendo will add some sort of envolved "street pass" features to the whole experience.

Anyways, once more, I fully expect the oficial presentation to be heavily focused on the "real life" social aspect of the switch, and am willing to bet my hat that most of the big reveals will be based on that.

Multiplayer being like this is exactly why Pokémon can now be on a home console. Though I do question things. At official competitions, it connects via IR in order to not get hit by signal interference. I wonder how they will get around that

I'd love it if it had StreetPass features in the console, but I honestly am not expecting it

m4st4

Man, I'm from Croatia, if I don't get Switch in March (via either amazon.uk/ita or local stores) and Nintendo doesn't re-stock until May-June... figurative pixelated heads will roll (aka I'll be stuck playing Super Mario Run longer than expected, already got 80% of the coins and that giant wedding cake for Peach).

Y'all hating on local multi when a big problem I've been having this gen is having games to play when friends are over that aren't just taking turns mass murdering people on watch dogs or what the fuck ever.

Sometimes I just wanna sit down, bust out the controllers and have a good time with friends. Local and online play can coexist, and I commend Nintendo for continuing to support local play.

You think thats all theres gonna be even though Wii U is dead and all its projects got moved to Switch?

I'm sure they'll be a surprise or two but don't expect there whole catalog to be immediately available at launch or anytime this year. Also they take a while with their games. So maybe they'll have something out later this holiday announced but may hold off who knows. I'm just saying don't expected on of crazy stuff that we don't already know about for the launch window.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Would be cool but I don't think any handheld Zelda has ever had a gold cart. The Pokemon games have though so it's possible.

Since Nintendo is treating Switch not exclusively as a handheld and BotW is the main team's work, I guess it is possible. Especially as they always tout the similarity to Zelda 1.

jts

...hate me...
Anyone knows how long will the event be?

If it's under 45 minutes I can watch it fully just before needing to leave home, would be cool.

TunaLover

Y'all hating on local multi when a big problem I've been having this gen is having games to play when friends are over that aren't just taking turns mass murdering people on watch dogs or what the fuck ever.

Sometimes I just wanna sit down, bust out the controllers and have a good time with friends. Local and online play can coexist, and I commend Nintendo for continuing to support local play.
Local multiplayer require friends* online multiplayer is much more convenient, you can drop out whenever you like, switch to another game etc, you don't depend on the other person.

*Not included

nintendo_switch_intro_video_most_popular_nintendo_youtube-700x394.jpg

Nintendo-Switch-1-940x545.jpg

nintendo-switch-splatoon.jpg

Nintendo-Switch.jpg

i was talking of the multiplayer aspect of the switch this morning with a friend it could be cool doing a lan of splatoon or smash etc , man tomorow gonna be hard i have the money to buy the switch but i always wait 1 to 2 year before buying a new console , i must resist lol

Random thought: you know, it is really amazing how far Splatoon has come as a new franchise. The franchise isn't even 2 years old (counting by release date), and it already got a spot in the first reveal of Nintendo's new console, as one of the first party highlights alongside Zelda and Mario.

SuperSah

Banned
Wait these Joy-Cons allegedly have motion controls right?

Would be kind of annoying if you're playing on say the train and the game demands you use say a motion action. Hopefully it'll merely be optional.

Xdrive05

100%.

My "good ol' days" of local multiplayer are N64 Goldeneye, Mario Kart, etc. Online is a great and important thing, sure, but there's something special about being there with your friends.

And for the first time local multiplayer will now mean local to you and your friends, not being restricted to your livingroom. I think this is a potential sleeper feature.

Illucio

Banned

My expectations aren't crazy!!

What if the Nintendo Switch isn't really a hybrid console, but us. And gaming is what is made out of our hearts. So we're paying Nintendo $300 so we can imagine playing with such a console?

Random thought: you know, it is really amazing how far Splatoon has come as a new franchise. The franchise isn't even 2 years old (counting by release date), and it already got a spot in the first reveal of Nintendo's new console, as one of the first party highlights alongside Zelda and Mario.

I absolutely love it, the aesthetic, the game play, and how it symbols the modernization of online for Nintendo. But I lost the disc after playing 10 matches and 1/3 of the campaign after getting it really late to the party in 2016. I was pretty livid at first but now that we basically know Splatoon 1.5 is a Switch launch title I'm not so mad.

100%.

My "good ol' days" of local multiplayer are N64 Goldeneye, Mario Kart, etc. Online is a great and important thing, sure, but there's something special about being there with your friends.

And for the first time local multiplayer will now mean local to you and your friends, not being restricted to your livingroom. I think this is a potential sleeper feature.

Absolutely. The fact that a lot of people are sleeping on it amazes me. Nintendo's done a 180 from where they were with the Wiiu. Just like the original Wii this is aiming for an inclusive environment with multiple people.

maxcriden

I feel like we said something similar four and a half years ago.

I'm much more optimistic this time

Same here. This time, it's potentially replacing not one but two Nintendo systems, so hopefully they have a lot more in the pipeline.

Anyone knows how long will the event be?

If it's under 45 minutes I can watch it fully just before needing to leave home, would be cool.

I think it's likely longer than that. We don't know yet, though. Sorry man.

psyfi

Banned
Man, I'm so excited. If they do GC Virtual Console and I get to have portable F-Zero GX, I will be so freaking happy.
I want a GX remake or a sequel (either one) with eight person online multiplayer (32 would get too nuts I think), leader boards, observer mode, tournament functionality, customizable characters, and an even more fleshed out story mode. There's so much they could do with the series.

maxcriden

100%.

I really like how you put this. That makes it sound so cool in a way I didn't even think of from the video.

Wait these Joy-Cons allegedly have motion controls right?

Would be kind of annoying if you're playing on say the train and the game demands you use say a motion action. Hopefully it'll merely be optional.

I can't imagine they'd offer a traditional-seeming game that requires you to use split joycons and nothing else. I guess we'll see, but I just can't imagine it being the primary and/or only option aside from games like Just Dance.

Maybe that's a bundle? Don't be surprised to see a lot of these things bundled up tomorrownight/tomorrow morning

I still don't think we'll see a "deluxe" SKU, but I wouldn't doubt that we'll get retailer exclusive bundles. Nintendo seems to love doing that lately.

Outrun

I want a GX remake or a sequel (either one) with eight person online multiplayer (32 would get too nuts I think), leader boards, observer mode, tournament functionality, customizable characters, and an even more fleshed out story mode. There's so much they could do with the series.

Sequel man.

Aim high

jts

...hate me...
I think it's likely longer than that. We don't know yet, though. Sorry man.
Ah, it's fine. Actually the more the merrier, if I think it through. I will still be able to enjoy 45 minutes of Switch goodness at home and will be able to keep watching on the bus. Just those 15 minutes between home and the bus are compromised :p

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom