• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with the grip is it maintains the vertical design of the buttons on the joycons.

A third party needs to come out with a shell that puts them on a slight angle so that stick on the left is further left than the buttons and vice versa on the other side.

Shifting the buttons more horizontally would be much more comfy.
Can't really do that because the four buttons on each end are going to be in awkward places or the sticks will not be straight up and down. Design wasn't meant for it.

Pinky

Banned
You know why things don't improve?

Because people accept what they have been given.

It's 2017.

How can any of you possibly defend some of problems with this device at launch?

I give up.

Nintendo will release the Switch 3 in 2025 and it won't be able to message friends at launch and you guys will still be fine with it.

You keep rewarding poor performance and you get the version of the Switch that we've gotten.

You'll cry when you're 50 hours into Zelda and something happens to your Switch. Then you'll wish Nintendo had saves transfers or at least cloud backups like every other damn gaming company has provided for years.

When you let other people's opinions and enjoyment ruin your day, you should take a really hard look at your priorities. Or should we all have the exact same perspective and opinions as you?

Strakt

It's 2017.

I give up.

Nintendo will release the Switch 3 in 2025 and it won't be able to message friends at launch and you guys will still be fine with it.

You keep rewarding poor performance and you get the version of the Switch that we've gotten.

You'll cry when you're 50 hours into Zelda and something happens to your Switch. Then you'll wish Nintendo had saves transfers or at least cloud backups like every other damn gaming company has provided for years.

But my switch is perfect. Once again, not every single switch has issues. Its 2017, new technology comes out every week.. and all of these products launch with defects/ issues. There is not one product that has a perfect launch without any problems whatsoever. While you write long posts complaining, I'll be enjoying zelda while taking a dump.

It's 2017.

I give up.

You need to step away from NeoGaf for a bit man... Go outside, get a breath of fresh air, and realize that there's more to life than what Nintendo does with the game consoles.

You're arguing against a point that no one is making, we all agree that Switch needs work in some areas. We choose to discuss the good where we can, because that makes for better conversation than just complaining about what isn't there 24/7.

Really hope they patch in the ability to copy saves over to the micro SD card. It just makes too much sense. The thought of losing my Zelda save is genuinely distressing lol. But that's only a potential problem in the future..the Switch launch has been amazing for me so far.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue

It's 2017.

I give up.

Man. I understand what you are trying to achieve with your comments, but it really just comes across like someone pissed in your cheerios.

Really hope they patch in the ability to copy saves over to the micro SD card. It just makes too much sense not to. The thought of losing my Zelda save is genuinely distressing lol. But that's only a potential problem in the future..the Switch launch has been amazing for me so far.
Does it not save to SD? I've had my SD inserted since launch and my system memory is completely free with one used... I will have to check after work

Why re there friend codes...Wtf
You can't make an online ID? You're online name.is your user log in? When Splatoon 2 comes out or any other MP game will my name that appears online be my local user name? This is so weird.

Oswen

Technical question, not sure if it has been asked already, sorry if that's the case.

Do we know if the Switch can actually support writable cartridges? Having all the saves locked on the system is fine for most games but it may not be optimal for others, like Pokémon (if it ever comes out on the system, that is).

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Why re there friend codes...Wtf
You can't make an online ID? You're online name.is your user log in? When Splatoon 2 comes out or any other MP game will my name that appears online be my local user name? This is so weird.

Your nintendo account id is your online id. It is dumb that they crept friend codes in though, especially given Reggie was adamant about there not being any. Though supposedly they're adding the feature to search for users by nintendo account id. I'm just hoping they bring these updates sooner than later. What helped soothe some of the burn regarding this is that I was able to add my friends that I added in Fire Emblem Heroes with ease.

hwy_61

Banned
Wish there was a better screenshot management system. Hoping Nintendo is working on that amongst other improvements that the Switch would benefit from.

linkboy

Does it not save to SD? I've had my SD inserted since launch and my system memory is completely free with one used... I will have to check after work

The system prioritizes an SD card over the internal storage, but if you have save data on the internal storage, you can't move it to the SD card (and vice versa).

It's dumb.

Jeels

They are gonna need OS updates to this thing fast. Once I'm done with Zelda, MK should be out, but one of the things I loved about a new console was just using all the new functionality, digging through menus, exploring the shop, trying out apps, etc. There's just very little of that here.

The system prioritizes an SD card over the internal storage, but if you have save data on the internal storage, you can't move it to the SD card (and vice versa).

It's dumb.

I think the main issue is that it's tied to your console, so whether it's internal or on the SD card, if your system breaks or you buy a second one your save data is tied to that original system.

Even the Wii had the ability to copy saves to SD card for transfer, I truly don't get Nintendo sometimes
(a lot of the times)

marrec

Banned
Wish there was a better screenshot management system. Hoping Nintendo is working on that amongst other improvements that the Switch would benefit from.

In a perfect world you can save your screenshots to a cloud service and manage them from your phone. Can you imagine?

Reposting:

I'm trying to figure out the details of how the Switch's account system/digital licenses work, in hopes of making a thread compiling all of it, and I need the help of another Switch owner. If anyone's willing to help me out, PM me. Thanks!

I've never been in such a love/hate position

My plan was to finish Zelda and return it because of all these issues, but i'm in love with this hardware/concept. I'm still leaning towards keeping it because of that, but man does it feel like i'm swimming upstream without the proper armor

It's dumb.
I think the main issue is that it's tied to your console, so whether it's internal or on the SD card, if your system breaks or you buy a second one your save data is tied to that original system.

Even the Wii had the ability to copy saves to SD card for transfer, I truly don't get Nintendo sometimes
(a lot of the times)

smfh what year is it

well, fuck, there goes any idea of returning it. lol

I'm not trying to lose my Zelda save :'(

PSFan

It's dumb.

(a lot of the times)

Save data is ONLY saved to internal storage, not the SD card. And it can't be moved either. The system will prioritize the SD card for game and dlc downloads from the eshop but not save data.

Saw a Switch + Zelda deal in a store today(Sweden). The shiny new toy idiot in me almost caved in, but I managed to resist. I've promised myself not to buy it before 3-4 games I really want is out for it.

Symphonic

I thought the screen would be bigger. Any technical reason for the black borders around the screen?

Some people guess that it's because of how it sits against the dock rails, to prevent from scratches on the visual part of the screen.

Outside of that, I'm sure it's just a hardware limitation in terms of size of device vs power of device vs battery of device. Same reason larger bezels existed on older (and even some current) monitors and TVs.

So my friend told me that the Switch joycons, when playing on the portable mode, feel loose... and very bendable. I've only seen a few Youtube videos confirming something like this.

Is this true to any of you? I want the Switch for the portability, but I don't want the joycons to feel loose or cheap.

hwy_61

Banned
So my friend told me that the Switch joycons, when playing on the portable mode, feel loose... and very bendable. I've only seen a few Youtube videos confirming something like this.

Is this true to any of you? I want the Switch for the portability, but I don't want the joycons to feel loose or cheap.

They don't feel like that at all. Is your friend squeezing them harder than normal?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

Had no problem with mine.

Symphonic

They have a tiny bit of give to prevent breakage (and because they're removeable). Wouldn't call them loose or bendable though.

So, I bought a Switch just to try out Zelda. Probably a stupid decision on my part but well...fuck it.

Is the official case any good ? It also comes with a screen protector, is it good or should I just buy a tempered glass protector ?

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member

In handheld mode? My joycons feel snug and secured to the console.

marrec

Banned

You can certainly "bend" them away from the main console if you pry at it like an orangutan, but in normal use they feel solidly attached.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member

You mean when they are attached to the system? If so, no, they are not bendable in the slightest. There was a video of some guy purposefully destroying the system to test failure points and he had to really work hard to break a joy-con off the system.

So, I bought a Switch just to try out Zelda. Probably a stupid decision on my part but well...fuck it.

Is the official case any good ? It also comes with a screen protector, is it good or should I just buy a tempered glass protector ?

100 % go with the tempered glass. I had the PDP one initially but after changing to the amFilm tempered glass I can say it is a huge improvement.

Ssseth

Neo Member
If the switch is successful then I'm sure we'll see a 3rd party solution.
Okay thanks, so it's not a technical/proprietary limitation and a cheaper third party dock should happen eventually. Good to know.

I'm surprised none are out yet, but I guess it's a bit more complicated than a case or a screen protector.

Toparaman

Banned
Some people guess that it's because of how it sits against the dock rails, to prevent from scratches on the visual part of the screen.

Outside of that, I'm sure it's just a hardware limitation in terms of size of device vs power of device vs battery of device. Same reason larger bezels existed on older (and even some current) monitors and TVs.

Yeah, I feel like it's more forgivable on monitors though because the borders aren't flush with the screen.

In any case I can't see myself playing Zelda, 3D Mario, or multiplayer Mario Kart on this screen for any extended period of time. But I haven't actually turned the thing on yet, so we'll see. Could've sworn the Wii U gamepad had a bigger screen, but maybe not.

Is there any easy way to upload captured screenshots to somewhere other than Facebook or Twitter? I'm guessing microSD card is still the easiest way (which is a pain)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom