• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

enewtabie

I love the Switch so far. I've been playing mostly in console mode. I got my wife to actually play a videogame with Snipperclips. Now she wants to try 1-2 Switch,but the $49.99 is a little high right now.

I did send Nintendo some feedback on the Parental Controls app. I would like a breakdown of the times per game included. I hope they make some changes.

Peltz

Is there any way to save my credit card info in the eShop? I really don't like needing to enter it in multiple times.

3DS and Wii U had this feature.

Pinky

Banned
Finally got my Switch in yesterday and got it all set up.

Pros:

- This is one sleek piece of kit right here. The build quality of the unit is very nice. Feels like an Apple product
- The 720p screen is crisp and beautiful.
- OS is quick and snappy.
- The joy-cons, which are MUCH smaller than I imagined, are surprisingly comfortable. Once fitted into the grip, it felt very ergonomic in my hands.

Cons:

Honestly, none I can really think of at the moment. I had a little trouble connecting the Switch to wifi, but I eventually got it working. Also, unlike others, I have had no issues with the left joy-con losing signal with the unit. I played BotW for about 3 hours and had no problems. Maybe I have an ideal setup. ;)

Overall, the Switch is really cool! I just got to work and I’m already bummed that I’m not at home playing BotW right now. Eventually, I want to grab a micro SD card and pro controller.

Anyone have any comments about playing games on the TV for several hours? BotW has been on for about 6 hours straight, and I'm not sure if I should keep going? When I take the Switch out of the dock, it's pretty hot.

Finally got my Switch in yesterday and got it all set up.

Pros:

- This is one sleek piece of kit right here. The build quality of the unit is very nice. Feels like an Apple product
- The 720p screen is crisp and beautiful.
- OS is quick and snappy.
- The joy-cons, which are MUCH smaller than I imagined, are surprisingly comfortable. Once fitted into the grip, it felt very ergonomic in my hands.

Cons:

Honestly, none I can really think of at the moment. I had a little trouble connecting the Switch to wifi, but I eventually got it working. Also, unlike others, I have had no issues with the left joy-con losing signal with the unit. I played BotW for about 3 hours and had no problems. Maybe I have an ideal setup. ;)

Overall, the Switch is really cool! I just got to work and I’m already bummed that I’m not at home playing BotW right now. Eventually, I want to grab a micro SD card and pro controller.

I'll skip right past the part where you can't find any cons with a system that has more cons that any console I've ever seen at launch.

That bold part though. You must not have held many Apple products in your life. I'm not Apple fan, but if you think the Switch which is made entirely of soft plastic feels anything like most Apple products which are made from glass and metal, I don't really know what to say.

Kudo

Anyone have any comments about playing games on the TV for several hours? BotW has been on for about 6 hours straight, and I'm not sure if I should keep going? When I take the Switch out of the dock, it's pretty hot.

That's weird, I've played for 6 hours straight multiple times and it gets only slightly warm.

oatmeal

Banned
The problem with the grip is it maintains the vertical design of the buttons on the joycons.

A third party needs to come out with a shell that puts them on a slight angle so that stick on the left is further left than the buttons and vice versa on the other side.

Shifting the buttons more horizontally would be much more comfy.

Interfectum

I'll skip right past the part where you can't find any cons with a system that has more cons that any console I've ever seen at launch.

That bold part though. You must not have held many Apple products in your life. I'm not Apple fan, but if you think the Switch which is made entirely of soft plastic feels anything like most Apple products which are made from glass and metal, I don't really know what to say.

Does it make you upset that someone is having a good experience with their system?

What are you even doing here?

sazzy

6e4g88F.png

ZNrcEpa.png

i1t8vGS.png

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2017/03/six-diy-hacks-that-improve-the-nintendo-switch/

I have a question: If I purchase Shovel Knight Treasure Trove, do I get the Spectre Knight game as a free add-on or do I still have to purchase that separately for another $10?

Thanks in advance. Haven't played the series yet and am thinking this will occupy me alongside Zelda.

BizzyBum

I have a question: If I purchase Shovel Knight Treasure Trove, do I get the Spectre Knight game as a free add-on or do I still have to purchase that separately for another $10?

Thanks in advance. Haven't played the series yet and am thinking this will occupy me alongside Zelda.

Asked the same, was told Treasure Trove has everything.

Does it make you upset that someone is having a good experience with their system?

Not at all.

I do take issue with people saying nonsensical things like plastic feels like glass or metal.

What are you even doing here?

As someone who owns a switch and has even the slightest ability to think critically, I belong here as much as the kids who think this thing is the best thing ever.

Sometimes I do wish I could just take what I've been given and see no faults. That tends to go away as you get older.

Coketruck

Treasure Trove has everything in one package.

I saw your previous post where you made a laundry list of Pros and Cons and I can't help but feel like you've got the wrong idea here. There is most certainly a difference between making a comprehensive list based on a set of criteria, and just judging a product by your own personal experience. You aren't going to see everyone who buys a Switch making a comprehensive pro and con list that weighs it against the competition.

It's ok for someone to not be as critical of a piece of tech as you are, everyone has different standards.

BizzyBum

An odd omission is lack of an activity feed. I want to see how long I played games for.

I know there's one in that parental app thing but I heard it's not even accurate.

So someone explain this to me.

I added a friend via his incredible friend code yesterday.

Was playing Zelda last night and got a notification that he was online.

Cool.

When I went to the screen where he was listed, I couldn't do anything.

I can't even send people on my friends list a message?

Please tell me I'm wrong about this.

If I'm not, what the hell is the point? No text, no chat?

It's things like this that are more than annoying. Uou have people who can say with a straight face that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the switch. It's ridiculous.

Just bought it yesterday for the Switch it is all three content packs.

Shovel Knight and the 2 expansions.

BizzyBum

Cool.

I can't even send people on my friends list a message?

Yeah, it's pretty bad.

Have to wait for the phone app this summer.

Cool.

I can't even send people on my friends a message?

Playing online games with people you know? Like Bomberman or Fast RMX?

But yeah, Nintendo made it clear months ago that the online service on day one is going to be far from complete. The mobile app that is supposed to have messaging, voice chat, and other online stuff is hitting in the summer.

Pinky

Banned

Okay? Are you angry? These are my opinions and views of the console from MY perspective. It's a well built machine and I'm impressed with it. I've held many Apple products, btw. And who gives a shit if the materials are different? The quality looks and feels similar to me, materials be damned. Don't let my post make you sad. There's still time for you to turn this day around. :)

marrec

Banned
Something can feel "like an apple product" but not be made from the same materials. I don't think the poster was literally saying it feels like metal and glass, but that it feels premium, as Apple has become synonymous with premium products for some people.

Personally, I knew going in that the thing was plastic, but was still rather surprised as the build quality and premium feel. It's definitely the best looking and feeling "console" I've seen... but that's not too hard as most consoles look and feel cheap compared to other home theater equipment.

The only thing that doesn't quite "feel" premium is the dock. Thing feels like a plastic stand. At least it looks good though.

Sheentak

Quick question if i download games to the switch and later get a microsd card will I be able to transfer the games or do i need to redownload?

Okay? Are you angry? These are my opinions and views of the console from MY perspective. It's a well built machine and I'm impressed with it. I've held many Apple products, btw. And who gives a shit if the materials are different? The quality looks and feels similar to me, materials be damned. Don't let my post make you sad. There's still time for you to turn this day around. :)

We all see what we want to see.

marrec

Banned
It's things like this that are more than annoying. Uou have people who can say with a straight face that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the switch. It's ridiculous.

As a Zelda playing machine it's nearly flawless in that it plays Zelda on the TV and on the go.

As a modern video game console there are multiple flaws on the software and online integration side that need to be (and have been scheduled to be in some cases) ironed out.

Pinky

Banned
Something can feel "like an apple product" but not be made from the same materials. I don't think the poster was literally saying it feels like metal and glass, but that it feels premium, as Apple has become synonymous with premium products for some people.

Thank you! This is pretty much what I was trying to convey.

We all see what we want to see.

Okay :)

Learn reading comprehension.

Cons:

See that? I've had the system for less than 24 hours and played it for only 3. That doesn't mean flaws and issues won't arise later on. If I find any down the road, you'll be the first to know. In fact, I'll PM you. I don't want you to be upset for a prolonged period of time. It hurts my heart.

Playing online games with people you know? Like Bomberman or Fast RMX?

But yeah, Nintendo made it clear months ago that the online service on day one is going to be far from complete. The mobile app that is supposed to have messaging, voice chat, and other online stuff is hitting in the summer.

god I hate this so much. just let me send a damn message via the console that I'm already playing on ffs, why should I have to take out another device?

god I hate this so much. just let me send a damn message via the console that I'm already playing on ffs, why should I have to take out another device?

Nintendo hasn't said whether or not the functionality will only be in the mobile app, or if it'll be added into the console as well. Not that I'm defending them in this instance, their messaging about online has been poor.

Symphonic

Nintendo hasn't said whether or not the functionality will only be in the mobile app, or if it'll be added into the console as well. Not that I'm defending them in this instance, their messaging about online has been poor.

I feel like they're probably still developing it, honestly, and that's why.

Hope you can message on the system but I'm not holding my breath. Wonder if there's a way for us to convey that we all really want the Activity Log back as well.

yeah it's really unfortunate. a solid online experience could really take this system to the next level.

If they make the mobile app just an option that would be ideal I think, but as the only way to even message your friends? that's absurd.

Interfectum

yeah it's really unfortunate. a solid online experience could really take this system to the next level.

If they make the mobile app just an option that would be ideal I think, but as the only way to even message your friends? that's absurd.

Basic messaging / chat features on Switch is almost assuredly going to happen. The only thing Nintendo has even hinted at in terms of app usage is voice chat will be done through that and not the system itself.

IMO, Switch doesn't have these basic features now because they rushed this thing out the door before that functionality was made/tested/etc. Wasn't the day one patch the ability to add friends?

bennibop

Switch has got me annoyed as I know it could be great but it falls short in so many ways. I hope Nintendo sort / iron out issues quickly, so much stuff should of been present at launch such as browser, vc and at least one video streaming app are missing in action.

It feels solid and there isn't much give. It's a very well made piece of tech, especially after seeing that durability test that one guy did.

It sucks that others are having issues, but you don't have to act like folks are crazy just because people are actually satisfied by the product they brought. If they're not experiencing hardware failure, then any cons you may have would be subjective rather than fact as you're implying. Other than needing a screen protector, I don't have any complaints with the system either. My family really loves it so far.

Interfectum

It feels solid and there isn't much give. It's a very well made piece of tech, especially after seeing that durability test that one guy did.

It sucks that others are having issues, but you don't have to act like folks are crazy just because people are actually satisfied by the product they brought. If they're not experiencing hardware failure, then any cons you may have would be subjective rather than fact as you're implying. Other than needing a screen protector, I don't have any complaints with the system either. My family really loves it so far.

You should put your family in contact with The Futurist so he can set them straight. They don't really love it, they just think they do. They've been fooled.

I tend to think he's more right than you on both accounts. Making the switch out of metal and glass would have been the dumbest thing Nintendo could have done, and plastic doesn't necessarily automatically mean low quality finish.

And secondly I've been enjoying mine mostly just fine, i think the cons are minimal.

You should put your family in contact with The Futurist so he can set them straight. They don't really love it, they just think they do. They've been fooled.

Lol. We've all been brainwashed!!!!

I'm not deluded, I know they rushed the launch and I understand that there are many issues for some, I'm not denying those, but I don't have those problems and the one issue I had with the joycon worked itself out.

I just wish we could all have our opinions without folks getting looney over it. Now if they announce that those friend features are really restricted to just that app, then I may be a bit more annoyed with the system.

I don't know if others are experiencing this, but after I put the system in sleep mode (while docked) sometimes in the middle of the night, the screen will light up and show the battery indicator and it won't stop flashing until I take the system out of the dock and reinsert it.

Couldn't find any options in the system settings for this.

You know why things don't improve?

Because people accept what they have been given.

It's 2017.

How can any of you possibly defend some of problems with this device at launch?

I give up.

Nintendo will release the Switch 3 in 2025 and it won't be able to message friends at launch and you guys will still be fine with it.

You keep rewarding poor performance and you get the version of the Switch that we've gotten.

You'll cry when you're 50 hours into Zelda and something happens to your Switch. Then you'll wish Nintendo had saves transfers or at least cloud backups like every other damn gaming company has provided for years.

MrBigBoy

It's 2017.

I give up.

Nintendo will release the Switch 3 in 2025 and it won't be able to message friends at launch and you guys will still be fine with it.

You keep rewarding poor performance and you get the version of the Switch that we've gotten.

You'll cry when you're 50 hours into Zelda and something happens to your Switch. Then you'll wish Nintendo had saves transfers or at least cloud backups like every other damn gaming company has provided for years.
It's just a console, man

usp84

It's 2017.

I give up.

You are a bit too dramatic but damn no cloud saves is unacceptable i agree.

Symphonic

It's 2017.

I give up.

Holy shit. I wasn't even defending the console, I was agreeing with you and just calling you out for being nuts about it.

Thanks for proving my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom