• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My right joy-con isn't working now. I wanted to play the switch during my lunch break, but now I'm panicking. I'm really hoping I did something wrong with charging it. It's so weird that one side is totally dead while the other is ok.

KevinG

I haven't either, I either use the Joycon's on the system (the only reason I would disconnect them is for some multiplayer Snipperclips, really) or the Pro Controller. The Grip is still in the Switch box, actually.

Same. Didn't even take the grip out of the bag it was in. Still cozy in the stored Switch box.

That Pro Controller has gotten the most use.

marrec

Banned
Opinions and such.... but IMHO the Pro controller is the best controller ever right now.

No I hear you it's really good, and the reported battery life is... *chef kissy fingers*

I just like being able to "waggle" with the gyro to throw boxes around in Zelda. You can do that with the Pro Controller too but it's not as satisfying.

Also, I've come to love just being able to naturally rest my hands while Joyconning. It's lazy, but nice.

I played all night with the Pro Controller until I absconded with the Switch for bed. It's a nice controller.

Oh that reminds me, if anyone's looking for a Pro Controller in the Pittsburgh area the Toys R Us at the South Hills Village mall has a bunch.

Macchiato

So I'm really happy with my Switch! It feels like a premium console to me, I love how small and cute and colorful it is (I have neon!), and I love how it's so quiet compared to my PS4 that like...roars everytime I turn it on.

Admittedly I have ONLY been using it in docked mode with the pro controller so far, so I don't even know if mine will have that desyncing problem.

I'm kinda scared to take it in public though! It seems almost too premium...like it will shatter or get stolen.

_h8bit

Banned
Same. Didn't even take the grip out of the bag it was in. Still cozy in the stored Switch box.

That Pro Controller has gotten the most use.

I got mine in yesterday and I'm in love. Didn't think I could like a controller more than the DS4 but here we are. Still bummed about the lack of headphone jack though 😑

So I'm really happy with my Switch! It feels like a premium console to me, I love how small and cute and colorful it is (I have neon!), and I love how it's so quiet compared to my PS4 that like...roars everytime I turn it on.

Admittedly I have ONLY been using it in docked mode with the pro controller so far, so I don't even know if mine will have that desyncing problem.

I'm kinda scared to take it in public though! It seems almost too premium...like it will shatter or get stolen.

It won't shatter it's plastic for that reason :)

Emouse

Has anyone else had issues using a hdmi switch box? I have a 5-way one I use for everything but the switch just doesn't work on it, I assume it's because it's going through the dock and not directly from the switch unit to the switch box, just curious if anyone has one and it works

on another note I'm happy the Wii/Wii u USB Ethernet adapter just works, that saves me buying that new switch one

littledipster

Neo Member
Hey guys, I posted once before but I think it got lost at the end of a page. My question was if anyone else had any trouble getting their card slot flap to close all the way? Mine won't stay shut and pokes out a little bit because it won't stay locked down. I know it's a small issue but it's driving me crazy so far when I'm playing in handheld mode!

akileese

My wife and I both noticed something doing the quick draw game in 1-2 Switch. Can't really explain why, but the left joycon just feels...more natural to hold? Whoever had the left one was consistently quicker than the right. She thinks it might has to do with how you hold it and having to go over the buttons. No joycon issues at all but it's interesting that her and I independently came to the same conclusion. Anyone else?

tommyguns

Does anyone know where I can buy the official nintendo case+screen protector set? I had one at launch and returned liked a fool thinking I didn't want/need it. Now that is the case I want and it's sold out everywhere.

If anyone has an extra I'll even buy it.

Does anyone know where I can buy the official nintendo case+screen protector set? I had one at launch and returned liked a fool thinking I didn't want/need it. Now that is the case I want and it's sold out everywhere.

If anyone has an extra I'll even buy it.

I think you're gonna be waiting for a bit until restocks. I'd order one of the tempered glass protectors though and maybe find another case if I were you.

tommyguns

I think you're gonna be waiting for a bit until restocks. I'd order one of the tempered glass protectors though and maybe find another case if I were you.

I don't even care about the screen protector. (I don't use them on any devices.) It's really that case that I like. I did pick up another case for the time being, but the other one was perfect for me. Thin basic case that fit the Switch perfectly. (And the built in stand was neat.)

I really wish my local best buy had some Pro Controllers. I purchased an extra set of neon joy-cons and a charging grip and I think maybe it would've been better to just get a 2nd pro. I don't see myself needing 4 cons for Arms (little interest in that title and I guess the double con is optional) and I doubt other games will require 4 cons for 2 player.

2 Pro + 2 included cons = 4 player mario kart. I didn't do very good math. I just was thinking I wanted an all blue set of cons. Turns out I actually like the asymmetrical look best.

My straps were a bitch to take off. They were REALLY stuck. Lock tab was out and all. I'll probably never use them again, heh!

Had the same problem. It was scary trying to pry it off. I had to use way more force than I thought was reasonable. Since then I've tried it a few more times and it's been a bit easier to get off, or at least I've been less afraid of breaking it, but it's still on there really tight.

So my right joycon doesn't lock anymore. It doesn't fall when I hold it but with a little bit of force it comes right out even after it clicks.

I don't even care about the screen protector. (I don't use them on any devices.) It's really that case that I like. I did pick up another case for the time being, but the other one was perfect for me. Thin basic case that fit the Switch perfectly. (And the built in stand was neat.)
If you have a toysrus near you check them out. I went to my local toys Rus yesterday and they had alot of switch accessories in stock,my local gamestop btw had one pro controller and one case instock.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So my joy cons, when sliding onto the switch itself, have like a 'stop' before going into the final clicked in position. Like a mini click/slow down 3/4 of the way down, and THEN the final position.

When sliding them onto the grip, it is 100% smooth all the way.

Anyone else with this? Is this just how the locking mechanism is?

Yeah, at some point before the click the connection between the Joycon and the Switch becomes much tighter, whereas on the grip they just slide on. This is also very evident when they're actually on, for me at least. On the grip the Joycon wobble a little bit when pushing the lower parts of them, whereas on the Switch they seem very tightly connected.

Hey guys, I posted once before but I think it got lost at the end of a page. My question was if anyone else had any trouble getting their card slot flap to close all the way? Mine won't stay shut and pokes out a little bit because it won't stay locked down. I know it's a small issue but it's driving me crazy so far when I'm playing in handheld mode!

I don't have that issue personally, but it seems quite a few units do. That flap is just shit-tier quality. I don't understand why they didn't do a proper hinged door instead.

Darkone

i am weak!!!
Ordered me a Switch yesterday from Amazon.de, waiting for them to get new stock.
sigh, wanted to order glass screen protector but non in stock.
do i need to buy something to charge it while playing portable?

Zafir

I take it there's no way to open up a switch without voiding the warranty?

I was looking at my screen under a light today, where the dead pixel I thought I had was, and I've come to the conclusion it's not a dead pixel, but dirt under the plastic.

That said, it's just as bad considering I probably can't get at it.

Edit: Yeah looking at a tear down, I don't really see how I'd even get at it easily to remove it. Sigh.

Is it really that difficult to put on a screen cover without getting dirt inside?

Do your joycons wiggle ever so slightly when attached to the unit? They're not flopping around or anything, they just have a small bit of give. Apparently someone called Nintendo and was told they're designed that way to absorb damage in case of a fall. It's also apparently in the patent, although I couldn't navigate that text wall. Just wanted to be sure it wasn't just me....new console paranoia :)

tommyguns

Do your joycons wiggle ever so slightly when attached to the unit? They're not flopping around or anything, they just have a small bit of give. Apparently someone called Nintendo and was told they're designed that way to absorb damage in case of a fall. It's also apparently in the patent, although I couldn't navigate that text wall. Just wanted to be sure it wasn't just me....new console paranoia :)

Mine does this as well. Barely noticeable unless I am really trying to feel for it, or every once in a while when I press the screenshot button, i notice a little amount of give.

Damn I was hoping you would say no lol. Order some from Amazon, test it then return them..? I hate to abuse the returns policy but they are damn expensive lol.

I have a friend who has a switch so i might run down to his house this weekend to test it out.

If you're wondering I held the console by just the joycons and shook it really hard to see if the joycon would detach but it seemed fine. It's just that if I put some force on it and pull up it'll come off. Not much force, but more than is applied when holding the console in handheld mode.

tommyguns

If you have a toysrus near you check them out. I went to my local toys Rus yesterday and they had alot of switch accessories in stock,my local gamestop btw had one pro controller and one case instock.

Thanks for the tip! Just called the 2 Toys R Us that are in close proximity to me...No go. Same with all the local Gamestops. I messed up returning so quickly.

Ssseth

Neo Member
For the dock, any hope for a third party knock off coming out? Even if it's just one where it sits on top like the Wii U charging cradle.

Since it's USB C I'm assuming it's not proprietary and a USB C to HDMI/Power solution other than the official (overpriced) Nintendo Dock should be possible? I'm not overly technical with that stuff though so maybe I'm over simplifying.

It would be nice to have one in my man cave for longer Zelda gaming sessions and one in my living room for more family type games. I don't want to pay $90 for that right now though (CAD) and hoping after market will come to the rescue.

For the dock, any hope for a third party knock off coming out? Even if it's just one where it sits on top like the Wii U charging cradle.

Since it's USB C I'm assuming it's not proprietary and a USB C to HDMI/Power solution other than the official (overpriced) Nintendo Dock should be possible? I'm not overly technical with that stuff though so maybe I'm over simplifying.

It would be nice to have one in my man cave for longer Zelda gaming sessions and one in my living room for more family type games. I don't want to pay $90 for that right now though (CAD) and hoping after market will come to the rescue.

If the switch is successful then I'm sure we'll see a 3rd party solution.

Dinjoralo

Yep, me too. I actually went out on Sunday (got the Switch at midnight launch) and bought the charging grip for them. They had pro controllers available, but I couldn't justify the extra cost considering how well the grip has worked out for me. The real test will be when/if I get a game that is dpad-intesive (I can't use analog sticks for 2D games--it just doesn't feel right). If the dpad "buttons" suck then I could possibly cave for a pro controller.
I'd get a charging grip, but I'm gonna have the Joy-Cons charging overnight anyway, plus I'd need to buy a USB-C cable and charger for it since nothing else I have uses USB-C. Same goes for the pro controller too, actually...

These Joy-Cons are really nice fidget toys...

BizzyBum

Kudo

I know I'm not the only one, so how does your "in bed" set up look like?

I have the Switch with the joy-cons detached on this stand:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D856NOG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And that sits on an iPad, which lays on my stomach. I'm holding the controller at waist level.

8Sq6rAS.jpg

Should receive mine this Friday.

Don't see a friend code exchange thread so I figured maybe people were posting theirs here?

6464 1434 7126, don't be a stranger!

Also, so I have the tablet mostly always docked. Is there any way to turn the system on with any of the controllers without having to do so on the actual tablet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom