• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake2by4

Do you remember what the store looked like on PS3 for quite a while after it launched? I do... it was a joke, the launch state of the Switch eShop looks amazing next to that.
That was 10 years ago and this is Nintendo 3rd home console with an online store. It shouldn't be this empty compared to the wii and Wii U.

Do you remember what the store looked like on PS3 for quite a while after it launched? I do... it was a joke, the launch state of the Switch eShop looks amazing next to that.

The Switch launch month has been incredible IMO. Nothing compared to the droughts of previous Nintendo systems. Already have 10 games digital and 3 physical, I don't get the complaints.

If you're not interested in the games that's fine, but damn the hyperbole. "NO GAMES"

That was 10 years ago and this is Nintendo 3rd home console with an online store. It shouldn't be this empty compared to the wii and Wii U.

OG PS3 was the last console I bought prior to the Switch, so I suppose my experience is skewed. I'm not really a console guy. I just remember thinking the PS3 store was trash when I saw it.

nubbe

it's what happens when hardware is rushed to market
the absolute bare minimum to work

But it is a bit scary that it has been almost a month since release and the eShop still look the same.
It is the smaller games that will suffer since they seemingly disappear from the marketplace unless you search for the exact game you want.

Jake2by4

OG PS3 was the last console I bought prior to the Switch, so I suppose my experience is skewed. I'm not really a console guy. I just remember thinking the PS3 store was trash when I saw it.
You are right about the PS3 store being hot garbage but the Switch literally has 3 categories on it. New releases, Search and Coming soon.

it's what happens when hardware is rushed to market
the absolute bare minimum to work

But it is a bit scary that it has been almost a month since release and the eShop still look the same.
It is the smaller games that will suffer since they seemingly disappear from the marketplace unless you search for the exact game you want.
Next overhaul will be before or after e3, it has to be.

The Switch launch month has been incredible IMO. Nothing compared to the droughts of previous Nintendo systems. Already have 10 games digital and 3 physical, I don't get the complaints.

If you're not interested in the games that's fine, but damn the hyperbole. "NO GAMES"

3 physical games....

I honestly didn't know that.

Yeah, Zelda is amazing, but this launch is a joke.

The switch doesn't exist in a bubble. Can't just say compare it to only other Nintendo consoles and feel better about it.

No major third party support. Shocking for a Nintendo console, but it's pathetic.

japtor

Okay, I seriously wanna give up on this, but knowing myself, I can't let it go. USB-C charging is a confusing mess of options and unratified standards, it feels like you're taking chances whenever you're buying a charger and HOPE that it works with the Switch.

(lots o details here in the OP)

TL;DR version: QB820 powerbank fast-charges the Switch. Anker PowerPort+ 5 fast-charges the Switch. Tronsmart U5P doesn't charge the Switch. Anker PowerPort+ 5 fast-charges the QB820 powerbank. Tronsmart U5P Fast-charges the QB820 powerbank (with a workaround).
Ever had the Switch reverse and charge the power bank? I think someone mentioned that possibly happening to theirs a while back, like their Switch was dead while sleeping after being fine while playing or something. The theory is that the bank charged the Switch to full then at some point the flow revered to charge the bank from the Switch. Not sure how you try to set that scenario up quickly/easily, maybe run down the bank battery a decent amount and hook up to the Switch near full.
I'm getting fed up with games that don't support the Pro controller. Nintendo needs to implement a solution that if you start a game that doesn't support it, it will always allow you to navigate back to the home screen.
That's pretty ridiculous, it's not like the inputs are different on it or anything other than directional buttons vs dpad, and that's pretty minor. Only other thing I can think of is dual gyros when playing with split joycons, but attached to the system or grip it shouldn't be any different there either.

2. Why the fuck is it so hard to take off the joy-cons straps ? Am I doing something wrong ?
Nah, just seems bad design that it's harder to take them off than it is to disconnect from the system, AND it's easy to put them on backwards. I'm avoiding them.
3. I'm tempted to buy this screen protector : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9RG3XS/?tag=neogaf0e-20
10 bucks, two pieces and they're tempered glass. Good enough ?
I ordered this one since it was the first to be listed. Finally got here a few days ago. So far pretty happy with it.
The worst thing about the eShop is how there's no way of seeing categories or everything on the store. Snipperclips got pushed out and I had to actually search it up to find it on the store.
If you put nothing in the search box and just go to Filters you can look by genre, but it's more hidden than it should be. It also seems to only show 25 results with no option for a second page right now, so even that option will have its limits.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
3 physical games....

92hSDXX.jpg
Quality gaming there, with a majority of local multiplayer games.

Replace Splatoon 2 demo by Snake Pass, add Graceful Explosion Machine next week, Wonderboy in 2 weeks. I'll still have not completed Zelda by then.

This launch may not suit your tastes, it's still far from being a joke. I love it, probably because I like arcade games just as much if not more than AAA games.

Futureman

I froze my Switch last night.

Was playing 2 player Snipperclips w/ the two Joy Cons. Finished playing and wanted to show my GF the Joy Con grip, so I snapped the controllers in as I snapped them in I guess I hit the home button. Then on the home screen it just froze and I had to hold the power button down to restart.

I'll download the system update tonight... maybe that had something to do with it.

3 physical games....

The switch doesn't exist in a bubble. Can't just say compare it to only other Nintendo consoles and feel better about it.

No major third party support. Shocking for a Nintendo console, but it's pathetic.

For me it's been a better launch than 360 Xbone PS3 and PS4 launches as well. Obviously that's subjective, but I'm really satisfied.

If you're expecting major 3rd party support from a Nintendo console in 2017 you're delusional, no offense. The Switch will be a first party and indie machine, with occasional Japanese 3rd party support. And that's fine with me.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I think Binding of Isaac is going to be my third physical purchase (After Zelda and Switch)

Never played the game, but opinions on it seem to be glowing.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
DO IT

It's amazing, and they went all out on the physical box (nice manual, stickers and goodies)

The bonus items are definitely what's pushing me into the purchase. I figure the longer I wait the less chance it'll be of me getting those items, as I assume it's just a "first print run" situation.

I assume you meant "Not shocking", but yeah, third party support on a Nintendo platform is done. Don't expect any of the major third-party releases to make their way to Switch. Assume the Switch is a platform for Nintendo games and indies and you'll be fine.

Tubie

Have they said anything about adding old NES and SNES games to the eShop? Seems like an odd decision to not have them available at launch. Hell, they could even do N64 games I'm sure.

I would love to play some of the classics on the go on this thing.

Ever had the Switch reverse and charge the power bank? I think someone mentioned that possibly happening to theirs a while back, like their Switch was dead while sleeping after being fine while playing or something. The theory is that the bank charged the Switch to full then at some point the flow revered to charge the bank from the Switch. Not sure how you try to set that scenario up quickly/easily, maybe run down the bank battery a decent amount and hook up to the Switch near full.

Never happened on the QB820 powerbank. I would check periodically when I'm outside gaming with the QB820 powerbank plugged in, the indicator on the side of the powerbank would blink if it is indeed reverse-charged by the Switch, but it never did. Power level notification on the Switch also stayed 100%.

That was also the reason why I included that Nexus 6P in the picture. I used that phone as a battery drainer for the Switch. Once I drained it enough, I then use the wall chargers and powerbank to measure their charging rate.

Slacker

Will Snakepass and that heroes game come out at midnight tonight?

Not sure if this was answered - I believe eShop updates at 10:00 AM PDT on Thursdays (in the US at least). Not sure about other regions.

edit: Actually may be 9 AM pacific time.

Futureman

Have they said anything about adding old NES and SNES games to the eShop? Seems like an odd decision to not have them available at launch. Hell, they could even do N64 games I'm sure.

I would love to play some of the classics on the go on this thing.

Yes Virtual Console is coming. Hopefully in a Direct before E3 but I'm guessing full reveal at E3 is more likely.

The more people that play and get addicted to The Binding of Isaac the better! :D

Awesome 'one more run' type game. Handheld for on-the-go-Isaac just makes it even more awesome!

arimanius

I think Binding of Isaac is going to be my third physical purchase (After Zelda and Switch)

Never played the game, but opinions on it seem to be glowing.

I didn't play the game until I got it on the switch. I play it more than Zelda now. It's amazing.

I also got the physical version but I'm kind of kicking myself since this is the kind of game I think digital is the way to go. To always have it on the system to be able to jump in for a quick game or two.

The bonus items are definitely what's pushing me into the purchase. I figure the longer I wait the less chance it'll be of me getting those items, as I assume it's just a "first print run" situation.

Binding of Isaac on Switch is grossly overpriced, don't you think? Considering it's been like $8 on steam in the latest iteration and probably as low as $1 or something or included in humble bundles in other earlier forms. Worth it for stickers???

Vitacat

Binding of Isaac on Switch is grossly overpriced, don't you think? Considering it's been like $8 on steam in the latest iteration and probably as low as $1 or something or included in humble bundles in other earlier forms. Worth it for stickers???

I agree. If it was maybe $20 retail I'd buy the cart. I've played it a little before, don't even recall what platform, and it's OK, but not really a game I'm eager to play on Switch.

fernoca

Well, it also has all DLC, including DLC that has not been released yet (or at least back when it was released in Switch :p)

Fireblend

Banned

Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ (equivalent to Switch version) is $36 on Steam unless I'm mistaken.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

I'm seeing $35.97 on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/570660/

I'll actually be paying less than that thanks to Best Buy's Gamers Club program.

Less than the Steam price AND I get a physical cart and extras? Sounds like a good deal to me.

I'm seeing $35.97 on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/570660/

I'll actually be paying less than that thanks to Best Buy's Gamers Club program.

Less than the Steam price AND I get a physical cart and extras? Sounds like a good deal to me.

Price History: The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+
Lowest price: $7.36 (33% off)
Recorded 2 months ago on Steam

It is currently $9.99 on the humble store:
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/the-binding-of-isaac-afterbirth-plus

Is this something totally different and I'm just being crazy or what?

Edit: I see, you need the previous games it is not all inclusive. Price is not as crazy as I thought compared to PC platform I guess, HOWEVER, I still think the price is crazy from what I've played of the original on PC unless it's completely different than what I remember.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

Edit: I see, you need the previous games it is not all inclusive. Price is not as crazy as I thought compared to PC platform I guess, HOWEVER, I still think the price is crazy from what I've played of the original on PC unless it's completely different than what I remember.

There's roughly a $4 difference between buying the game on the PC and buying it on the Switch. I'd say that $4 is worthwhile for a cartridge, a case, some extras, and the ability to resell the game at my discretion.

There's roughly a $4 difference between buying the game on the PC and buying it on the Switch. I'd say that $4 is worthwhile for a cartridge, a case, some extras, and the ability to resell the game at my discretion.

I agree. It was confusing that they named the game exactly the same as what is just DLC on PC. I was wrong about the real cost of obtaining the actual "afterbirth+" version, however after reading the steam reviews I am unsure if it is worth getting at all when you're more likely to enjoy the pre-afterbirth series more anyway according to a lot of people. I'll pass, I see bargain bin written over this one it just can't have broad appeal on this platform if it can't even succeed on steam.

Neoweee

Yeah, Afterbirth+ is the second expansion to Rebirth.

The lineage of the game was:

BoI (standalone)

Then later, an extensive remake:

BoI: Rebirth
BoI: Rebirth Afterbirth (expansion)
BoI: Rebirth Afterbirth+ (expansion that requires both Rebirth and Afterbirth)

I agree. It was confusing that they named the game exactly the same as what is just DLC on PC. I was wrong about the real cost of obtaining the actual "afterbirth+" version, however after reading the steam reviews I am unsure if it is worth getting at all when you're more likely to enjoy the pre-afterbirth series more anyway according to a lot of people. I'll pass, I see bargain bin written over this one it just can't have broad appeal on this platform if it can't even succeed on steam.

The Steam reviews are saying that Afterbirth+ doesn't really offer all that much NEW content, compared to how extensive the Rebirth remake is, or how much was added in the core of Afterbirth. But I don't think anyone really recommends trying to snag some Reborth+Afterbirth (non +) bundle.

Christ, this is confusing to type out.

Zafir

As someone from the UK, is there any place which sells digital eshop cards without any markup?

I noticed Play-Asia sells them, but they've got it marked up.

Did anyone get the Surge Nintendo Switch Grip Kit? Are these things decent?
I got it, like it quite a bit. It unfortunately doesn't make SL/SR into big buttons like the official strap does, but the general shape becomes much easier to hold so they're easier to use anyway.

sirap

Broke down and bought Shovel Knight despite owning it on every other platform T_T

Snipperclips is fun as hell but I'll have to wait for my sister to finish Zelda. Almost bought Fast RMX but I'm not a fan of rubberbanding.

eShop is dry as hell. Stardew Valley can't come any sooner.

MAX PAYMENT

Broke down and bought Shovel Knight despite owning it on every other platform T_T

Snipperclips is fun as hell but I'll have to wait for my sister to finish Zelda. Almost bought Fast RMX but I'm not a fan of rubberbanding.

eShop is dry as hell. Stardew Valley can't come any sooner.

Considering snipperclips to play with the wife.

Peltz

I'm not interested in Fast because I feel like it'd be redundant with MK coming soon-ish, and I've heard enough about the AI to be turned away from the game. Already have Shovel Knight on 3DS, already beat I Am Setsuna and Isaac on PC, and I'm waiting for reviews for Snake Pass, though the lack of enemies and short level count makes me hesitate... might impulse buy that though, if only to have something to play.

Blaster Master Zero is another option but the topdown sections look anything but fun. I wish Puyo Puyo was releasing much earlier in April :(

Fast and MK are very very different. But to each their own.

I was very much not thinking highly of Fast based on my own preconceptions but bought it because I had nothing to play while waiting for Zelda in the mail. And my goodness, it's great. I'm very not into most racing games too but this one is quality.

It's not F-Zero GX (nothing is), but it does come somewhat close and have its own distinct feel/appeal.

alf717

Is Nintendo in maintenance mode? Can't get my stability update and I cannot access the eShop. Anyone else having this issue?

Peltz

92hSDXX.jpg

Replace Splatoon 2 demo by Snake Pass, add Graceful Explosion Machine next week, Wonderboy in 2 weeks. I'll still have not completed Zelda by then.

This launch may not suit your tastes, it's still far from being a joke. I love it, probably because I like arcade games just as much if not more than AAA games.

I agree, this is a nice trickle of content. It's been a really high quality launch with no shovelware
other than 1-2-Switch.
The quality games/overall library ratio is very very high right now.

jonno394

It finally arrived to me in the UK :) love everything about this physical release! Keep em coming Nicalis.

33574995101_1aab660085_c.jpg

92hSDXX.jpg

Nice stuff :) I think the launch has been great even if Zelda has eaten up most of my gaming time. Got a growing back log (Shovel Knight, I am Setsuna, and Binding of Isaac have yet to be touched, Skylanders Imaginators, Fast RMX, Bomberman and Blaster master have had a couple hours a piece) and the games you mention and more keep on coming. I should stop buying them but need to show that software support. Will grab Snake Pass later this week.

DjRalford

Any one else getting wild battery % changes?

My switch has been on charge all day in standby, it was 100% when I took it off and turned the system off, just turned it on a few hours later and it's showing 47%.

roytheone

So ehm, I did a test, and my battery percentage indicator is probably broken.

It went from 50 % to 1 % after only 30 minutes, but now it is at 1 % for 25 minutes and it is still going.......

Anyone else have this?

DjRalford

Any one else getting wild battery % changes?

My switch has been on charge all day in standby, it was 100% when I took it off and turned the system off, just turned it on a few hours later and it's showing 47%.

So ehm, I did a test, and my battery percentage indicator is probably broken.

It went from 50 % to 1 % after only 30 minutes, but now it is at 1 % for 25 minutes and it is still going.......

Anyone else have this?

Good to know I'm not the only one having strange battery readings

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
But....Those devices should have better browsers than the Switch with longer battery too. I don't get it.

Late to this response...

I can't connect to the wifi to access to eShop or update games because I don't see a web browser pop up to let me plug in the hotel specific password needed to get connection to the wifi. I can select the network but cannot access it due to the login being tied to a web browser.

I'm not browsing the internet on Switch - I'm doing that on my other devices. :)

roytheone

Good to know I'm not the only one having strange battery readings

Yeah, it is ALL over the place for me. If I switch it off and then power it back on again after a day or so, the battery percentage will often be 10-15 % higher then when I switched it off...............without having charged it in between.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom