• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Persona7

Banned
It's very rare.

It's also rare for the list price on their 1st party games to go down.

Nintendo games have constant sales and promotions. Literally 90% of my 3DS and Wii U library was purchased at a discount or during a retailer promotion. Often a very deep discount.

superstu64

Neo Member
I hope so, earlier when i was playing zelda, both the system buttons (screenshot and home) were not responding. Undocking the thing just made it freeze :(
That's spooky, as exactly the same thing happened to me yesterday, the Home button wouldn't do anything and I had to do a hard reset.

Also noticed when I play in bed at night, using the Pro Controller, it will often desync the Pro repeatedly, and I have to detach the JoyCons and put them in another room to let the Pro work trouble free...

Getting a bit annoyed at all these little issues tbh and totally fed up with the rumble, feels so weak and pointless.

Overall, whilst I like the hardware, it's only the greatness of Zelda that's keeping me positive at the moment.

Hey so I'm not sure what the current status on this is.

I just went on a flight, bought a charger pack for my switch. It kept it at 100% charge for the entire 6 hour flight, never drained even 1%. I remember lots of reviews saying otherwise, not sure if there was a reason for this exactly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019IFIJW8/?tag=neogaf0e-20
This is what I bought

Also, this is the best device I've ever owned. Hoping we get some of those indie titles I'm waiting on soon, I might be nearing the end of zelda in 2-3 weeks, and I am not happy about that journey coming to an end.

Alienfan

They sell everything they can produce at the moment.
Many places still have early adopter tax.

Nintendo project to sell 16-20 million this year.

Maybe next year at best.

Yeah you're probably right, with the 3DS I pulled the trigger a couple of weeks before they had that crazy drop just after launch. Hoping the same doesn't happen with the switch

Question for those users who play with foreign game cartridges (one outside of their usual region preferences).

Can you play foreign cartridges on your Switch with an existing account or will you need an account from that cartridge's region?

EDIT:
For reference, I've an Australian PAL account but want to import Seiken Densetsu Collection from Japan.

Waji

Hi guys !

So I saw people (inclusing myself) having problems connecting the Switch to internet while the console is docked.
I don't know if it has already been identified clearly but for me it's clear no.

I actually can't connect to the internet when my Joycons are disconnected from the unit.
It means the signal problem is more than real and doesn't only cause desync issues.
Does that mean my only way to fix the internet connexion is to fix the joycons... that's really annoying.

Too bad, because beside that everything's really good.

Nesther

Question for those users who play with foreign game cartridges (one outside of their usual region preferences).

Can you play foreign cartridges on your Switch with an existing account or will you need an account from that cartridge's region?

Played a European copy of Zelda with my US Nintendo account. Could even register the gold coins to my account. No problems.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I found an issue with the Switch not having a web browser.

I'm at a hotel for work with free wifi. However, to login, you have to visit a webpage and type in the password. So my phone and iPad can get online but my Switch cannot. Boo.

I'm at a hotel for work with free wifi. However, to login, you have to visit a webpage and type in the password. So my phone and iPad can get online but my Switch cannot. Boo.

Isn't this what the Switch browser-applet is for though?

Kyzer

Banned

EDIT:
For reference, I've an Australian PAL account but want to import Seiken Densetsu Collection from Japan.

Playing Disgaea 5 from JP with only my NA account here

jorgejjvr

I tried doing it with such a WiFi myself, and the switch did took me to a browser to put my information to login. Seems to like a hidden browser but it's there. Try it, it's supposed to let you

I tried doing it with such a WiFi myself, and the switch did took me to a browser to put my information to login. Seems to like a hidden browser but it's there. Try it, it's supposed to let you

Yep, this is how some people can trick the switch into accessing GAF and such; because it has Webkit built in for WiFi logins...

Okay, I seriously wanna give up on this, but knowing myself, I can't let it go. USB-C charging is a confusing mess of options and unratified standards, it feels like you're taking chances whenever you're buying a charger and HOPE that it works with the Switch.

CZvN5Oil.jpg

Apple USB-C-to-USB-C cable (model A1739), Xiaomi ZMI QB820 20,000 mAh powerbank with USB-PD, Anker PowerPort+5 wall charger with USB-PD (model number A2053), Tronsmart U5P wall charger with USB-PD.

Let's get the cable out of the way. The USB-C cable? Check! Approved by Benson and Nathan.

Now the rest of the components are a complete "test your luck" kinda deal. Here's what I needed and what I found out.

What I need:

1. A wall charger that fast-charges the Switch via USB-C PD. (not a slow charge, that's universally available via any standard powerbanks or USB-A wall chargers made for cellphones)

2. A wall charger that fast-charges the QB820 powerbank via USB-C PD. (not a slow charge, that's universally available via any standard powerbanks or USB-A wall chargers made for cellphones)

3. A powerbank that fast-charges the Switch via USB-C PD, fast enough to counter battery drain while playing Zelda with maximum screen brightness, maximum volume on headphones and WiFi on. (not a slow charge, that's universally available via any standard powerbanks with USB-A)

What I got:

For #1, it was between the Tronsmart and the Anker. Looking at both of them, the both have the same charging outputs (5V3A, 9V3A, 15V2A) with the Anker having the additional 20V1.5A. The Switch fails to charge on the Tronsmart while works on the Anker. Either the Anker has the additional circuitry that the Switch detects and allows charging while the Tronsmart didn't, or the Anker's 20V1.5A charging output is the only charging power output recognised by the Switch, the other three didn't (5V3A, 9V3A, 15V2A). Am surprised that the 15V2A didn't work on the Tronsmart.

For Point #2, again it's between the Tronsmart and the Anker. This is what's confusing me. The Anker straightaway works. The Tronsmart doesn't initially, but when I swapped the Anker for the Tronsmart right away, it then works charging the QB820. WTF!!? I tested again, by unplugging the Tronsmart wall charger and replugging it into the QB820. Doesn't work again. Plugged the Anker, works straightaway, and swapping it with the Tronsmart, the same as earlier on.

Point #3, the QB820 powerbank. It fast-charges the Switch via USB-C PD fast enough to top up the Switch's battery while playing Zelda at max screen brightness and max volume on headphones with WiFi on. Also works in this case, the Anker 26,800mAH with USB-PD powerbank model, although I'm basing that on anecdotal reports on Reddit and forums I read.

TL;DR version: QB820 powerbank fast-charges the Switch. Anker PowerPort+ 5 fast-charges the Switch. Tronsmart U5P doesn't charge the Switch. Anker PowerPort+ 5 fast-charges the QB820 powerbank. Tronsmart U5P Fast-charges the QB820 powerbank (with a workaround).

NeonBlack

J@hranimo

Banned

But....Those devices should have better browsers than the Switch with longer battery too. I don't get it.

XandBosch

I find it so odd that so many people are putting so much thought into portable chargers. I've had mine since launch, brought it to work every day, even brought it from work to other places for the evening, and I've still never gotten to less than 10%. Granted I'm not constantly playing it for hours at a time throughout those days, but still. For anything more I'll just bring the extra wall adapter I bought, it's not like there aren't outlets EVERYWHERE these days.

To each their own though.

Unai

I think so. I've used the galaxy S5 adapter a few times and it's been able to charge while playing.

I don't know the specific wattage used

Good to know. This is the Galaxy S7 one, so it probably will work too.

I find it so odd that so many people are putting so much thought into portable chargers. I've had mine since launch, brought it to work every day, even brought it from work to other places for the evening, and I've still never gotten to less than 10%. Granted I'm not constantly playing it for hours at a time throughout those days, but still. For anything more I'll just bring the extra wall adapter I bought, it's not like there aren't outlets EVERYWHERE these days.

My problem is not going to work, but visiting my girlfriend who lives 150 km away on the weekends in another city.

Fireblend

Banned
Man, the lack of games I'm really interested in hurts, I'm just not feeling anything on the eShop and I already finished Snipperclips. As soon as I'm done with Zelda I feel like my Switch is gonna go into hibernation until late April. Might still play it for the Puyo Puyo demo but other than that my library feels barren.

LordKano

Okay guys, several questions.

1. I'm tempted to buy another ac adaptater to use for portable mode only. I've seen a few third party ones cheaper than the official one, and amazon comments state that it works well but only on portable mode. Anyone tried one of them ? How did it turn out ?

2. Why the fuck is it so hard to take off the joy-cons straps ? Am I doing something wrong ?

3. I'm tempted to buy this screen protector : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9RG3XS/?tag=neogaf0e-20
10 bucks, two pieces and they're tempered glass. Good enough ?

It's definitely just about different lifestyles, but I'm in the same boat that you are. Outside of flying somewhere, I can't think of a single situation in which I would personally need a portable charger.

XandBosch

Man, the lack of games I'm really interested in hurts, I'm just not feeling anything on the eShop and I already finished Snipperclips. As soon as I'm done with Zelda I feel like my Switch is gonna go into hibernation until late April. Might still play it for the Puyo Puyo demo but other than that my library feels barren.

Really? I still haven't unlocked everything in Fast RMX or even jumped online yet, still have yet to finish Plague Knight (and I want to finish the New Game + of Specter Knight since it was so damn awesome), haven't played I Am Setsuna yet, Snake Pass came out today, I haven't touched Isaac yet, and the Neo Geo games are great for a quick pick-up-and-play session.

I have more than enough!

I was surprised how bare the store is....already basically done Zelda on my WiiU so I grabbed Shovel Knight to start and I might get Snipperclips and Fast RMX but that's about all.

Not even any themes to download or VC. Hope it gets filled out with some content soon.

Samus4145

I'm getting fed up with games that don't support the Pro controller. Nintendo needs to implement a solution that if you start a game that doesn't support it, it will always allow you to navigate back to the home screen.

Jake2by4

Really enjoying my Switch but damn if the eshop aint on some barebones crap. Hope the next major update adds a great deal of things to it.

Fireblend

Banned
Really? I still haven't unlocked everything in Fast RMX or even jumped online yet, still have yet to finish Plague Knight (and I want to finish the New Game + of Specter Knight since it was so damn awesome), haven't played I Am Setsuna yet, Snake Pass came out today, I haven't touched Isaac yet, and the Neo Geo games are great for a quick pick-up-and-play session.

I have more than enough!

I'm not interested in Fast because I feel like it'd be redundant with MK coming soon-ish, and I've heard enough about the AI to be turned away from the game. Already have Shovel Knight on 3DS, already beat I Am Setsuna and Isaac on PC, and I'm waiting for reviews for Snake Pass, though the lack of enemies and short level count makes me hesitate... might impulse buy that though, if only to have something to play.

Blaster Master Zero is another option but the topdown sections look anything but fun. I wish Puyo Puyo was releasing much earlier in April :(

sirap

What an odd post. Everyone plays their Switch differently. Some folks just don't like carrying wall adapters or deal with long cables. Others like me have no choice but to carry one because the places I like to work at don't have offer a lot of outlets to customers.

XandBosch

I'm not interested in Fast because I feel like it'd be redundant with MK coming soon-ish, and I've heard enough about the AI to be turned away from the game. Already have Shovel Knight on 3DS, already beat I Am Setsuna and Isaac on PC, and I'm waiting for reviews for Snake Pass, though the lack of enemies and short level count makes me hesitate... might impulse buy that though, if only to have something to play.

Blaster Master Zero is another option but the topdown sections look anything but fun. I wish Puyo Puyo was releasing much earlier in April :(

That's fair. Not sure what AI issue you're talking about with Fast, they seem good and challenging to me. I bought it because a friend was over and I wanted to play some 2-player Switch, and to us it brought us back to N64 racers like Episode 1 Pod Racing. Cheesy, fast, neon, etc. It's pretty fun, and different enough from Mario Kart that I felt like it was worth buying. If you haven't played Specter Knight yet, can't recommend it more. It was good enough to pull me away from Zelda for a week, and I just started playing it one day to check it out.

XandBosch

What an odd post. Everyone plays their Switch differently. Some folks just don't like carrying wall adapters or deal with long cables. Others like me have no choice but to carry one because the places I like to work at don't have offer a lot of outlets to customers.

Places you like to work at? And I don't imagine the wall adapter is any bulkier than one of these big chargers, but I see your point. If you're working though, how are you also playing Switch? :p

wagamer

With all these problems people are having with charging, I guess I'm just lucky with my stuff. I've got a cheap Xiaomi power bank (without usb-c), two usb wall plugs from Galaxy S5 and S6, and purchased a random usb-c -> normal usb cable from ebay, and everything works with everything.

Okay guys, several questions.

1. I'm tempted to buy another ac adaptater to use for portable mode only. I've seen a few third party ones cheaper than the official one, and amazon comments state that it works well but only on portable mode. Anyone tried one of them ? How did it turn out ?

2. Why the fuck is it so hard to take off the joy-cons straps ? Am I doing something wrong ?

3. I'm tempted to buy this screen protector : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9RG3XS/?tag=neogaf0e-20
10 bucks, two pieces and they're tempered glass. Good enough ?

Most people seemed to be going with the amfilm glass protector, but where it isn't easily available in Canada and I'm planning to take the switch on a trip soon I opted for the same one as you.

From the reading I've done they seem quite similar and to be the best two around.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Places you like to work at? And I don't imagine the wall adapter is any bulkier than one of these big chargers, but I see your point. If you're working though, how are you also playing Switch? :p

People are charging them up from playing on their commute in to play at lunch and the commute home. Some people have super long public transit commutes.

Others have jobs with lots of downtime between meetings, calls etc. that they can goof around.

LordKano

Most people seemed to be going with the amfilm glass protector, but where it isn't easily available in Canada and I'm planning to take the switch on a trip soon I opted for the same one as you.

From the reading I've done they seem quite similar and to be the best two around.

Yep, it's not available to ship in Belgium, so I think I'll use the one I linked. Thanks for the feedback.

jokkir

I bought these neon joycons and I don't even know if I want to keep them. I like the colours better than the grey but the price :\ Still thinking of returning

jokkir

The worst thing about the eShop is how there's no way of seeing categories or everything on the store. Snipperclips got pushed out and I had to actually search it up to find it on the store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom