• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
About a month in, I'm very pleased with the Switch.

It's still barebones but I appreciate the focus on just being a games console. The joycons feel really good on the device and in the grip, the screen is great, the audio is good.

I've had a lot of fun with this thing and it's easy to underestimate how much of that is because of the form factor of the console.

I'm a bit gutted that I have to get Persona 5 on PS4 now. I've felt this way about a few games, actually. Would have preferred Nier Automata on Switch too.

Adamator

My new gamer buddy!

PEoyRKh.jpg

Our second child, a boy this time, was introduced to the world last night a little after 8pm. Having the Switch with me to play during downtime and when everyone is asleep has been absolutely wonderful. Being able to play a game like Zelda while sitting here watching over my family is amazing.

Got myself a 13000 mah battery, and brought a wall charger for the times when I'm not actively playing. The Switch is perfect for a busy parent. I couldn't be happier with it.

Just wanted to share.

branny

Anyone else have an unresponsive Y button (or any other button for that matter) on their right joycon? If I push the Y button in quick succession it can be very unresponsive. This isn't a problem in Zelda, but in Blaster Master it almost breaks the game. Is there an easy fix for unresponsive buttons or do I need to call Nintendo?

I know you can change the button mapping in BM, but that doesn't fix my Y button being unresponsive.
On one of my extra Joy-Cons, the A button has this problem. A light/normal press clicks fine but doesn't register the input. Only harder presses register. Gonna have to set up a repair. =\

Falchion

Just bought mine and it feels really nice so far. Definitely glad I bought the pro controller because the joycon dock doesn't feel very good. Also, when docked is it normal for the Switch to kind of be loose? Like it doesn't feel like it's snapped down into the dock, it's just kind of there tottering around in it.

ryushe

My new gamer buddy!

PEoyRKh.jpg

Our second child, a boy this time, was introduced to the world last night a little after 8pm. Having the Switch with me to play during downtime and when everyone is asleep has been absolutely wonderful. Being able to play a game like Zelda while sitting here watching over my family is amazing.

Got myself a 13000 mah battery, and brought a wall charger for the times when I'm not actively playing. The Switch is perfect for a busy parent. I couldn't be happier with it.

Just wanted to share.
Congratulations!

Check the stick calibration in settings.
I hope that's the problem! Can't exchange it on Amazon since there are no more controllers right now.
Has there been any announcement about Shantae Half Genie Hero? I feel like Wayforward has too much history with Nintendo to not make it happen.
I sincerely hope so! Love Shantae and also love Half-Genie Hero!

I'll buy it again on the Switch for sure. Heck, give me a physical release of a Shantae Collection on the Switch and I'll buy it all!
My new gamer buddy!

PEoyRKh.jpg

Just wanted to share.
Congrats man! May he grow up and always feel loved!

ParityBit

I think my post got lost at the bottom of the last page but ...

So what cables are truly needed for this besides the ones in the box? Like what would should I get for bedroom charging? And anything else? I see some people mention stuff for the dock extension .... but why?

I am trying to buy everything I need for whenever I get the Switch so I can concentrate on that one thing. Heh

NimbusD

So what cables are truly needed for this besides the ones in the box? Like what would should I get for bedroom charging? And anything else? I see some people mention stuff for the dock extension .... but why?

I am trying to buy everything I need for whenever I get the Switch so I can concentrate on that one thing. Heh
For cables, you're pretty much set. If you want to charge it outside of the dock you need a second account adapter, official or otherwise comparable. If you want to charge on the go with a battery, check out digital foundry's video on battery packs that work best.

Moreche

I'm absolutely loving my Switch and its my favourite Nintendo console next to the SNES and I've only three games.
I just love being able to undock go upstairs and continue playing but I just need Nintendo to go all out with VC and use their first party games to full effect. No more missing games like F-Zero and fill the games with releasing WiiU games again such as Wind Walker and TP HD.
I also want to see the joy-con designs mixed up a lot different controls and NES, SNES and N64 versions released.
There's absolutely no reason for Nintendo to not blow open the doors with amazing software.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah there's decently small ones, and if you're not using fancy headphones you could just get some cheap Bluetooth headphones instead of another dongle for the other end of the solution.

Tried the button test in settings? Wonder if it's your button itself or maybe the joycon lagging once in a while.

Yeah, I tried that. The Y button is the only one that is unresponsive. It looks like a hardware problem.

On one of my extra Joy-Cons, the A button has this problem. A light/normal press clicks fine but doesn't register the input. Only harder presses register. Gonna have to set up a repair. =\

Yep, pretty much this. I noticed that lightly pressing the lower half of the Y button is the issue. It clicks but doesn't register.

Guess I'll have to contact Nintendo.

Try swapping HDMI cables maybe?

Try with a different TV?

Tried a different cable, but got the same results. Unfortunately, there's only one TV here. I'm guessing this particular TV just has issues connecting with the Switch. Was hoping there was a way to force the Switch to run at 1080p. Bummed this option doesn't exist in the settings.

NateDrake

Tried a different cable, but got the same results. Unfortunately, there's only one TV here. I'm guessing this particular TV just has issues connecting with the Switch. Was hoping there was a way to force the Switch to run at 1080p. Bummed this option doesn't exist in the settings.

What do the TV settings on the Switch say? Is it set to automatic? Try choosing 1080p and see what happens.

Vibed

On one of my extra Joy-Cons, the A button has this problem. A light/normal press clicks fine but doesn't register the input. Only harder presses register. Gonna have to set up a repair. =
This was my exact problem with the A button before I sent it in. Works great now, and Nintendo repair is so speedy. :)

Unfortunately, I had to send in the left one I got from repair back in again because the rumble sounded like a spring was going off inside it. I also sent in my extra left joy-con in because of a loose railing and weak signal.

So whats a no tax US zip code I can use for the eShop?

Googling only lead me to old 3DS ones and those old zip codes may now charge tax since that happened with amazon now charging tax for my state so I want to be sure.

Kinda really want something to play after 115+ hours of Zelda I got burnt out. Really feel like if I just had a online game I could keep going back too I'd be set but Bomberman is too expensive, Fast RMX I don't think I'll like since it basically requires all skill, Mario Kart doesn't seem worth it when I already played 115ish hours over the last two years, Arms I will get but its at least end of May if not June considering no announcement, and Pocket Rumble is missing in action.

May just get Voez. It seems like it'll be good and really want to fully try a rhythm game. Binding of Isaac also seems cool but it seems to partially be out've stock on amazon and if theres a retail version of a game, I want it. Could get three $10 games in World of Goo, Human Resource Machines, and Blaster Master but don't think they'd last me long.

The wait for a mighty online game to keep going back to with Arms will be tough. Pretty much done with Zelda for now since I did all shrines, and even speedrun it. Not done all sidequests but just feel done for now.

The Switch only comes with one 6ft ac adapter when ideally you would have 2. One for the Switch dock to be plugged in at all times, and another for charging it undocked. You can either just charge it docked all the time, or maybe you won't use the dock much and so keep the adapter with the undocked Switch console. Or you can just use that single cable for doing whichever you need to do.

As for dock extensions I think people use them so they can charge the Switch without actually sliding it into the dock (since the dock can reportedly scratch the Switch).

You may want to get a screen protector also. (amFilm is the most popular).

As far as cases go, this Hori case and the Butterfox cases (the $24.99 updated cases) are well reviewed.

I also got an extra battery for my Switch for on the go or when I don't feel like using the regular wall adapter or losing power too quickly. I got the Anker PowerCore 10000 that adds about 5 hours of play time. There are others that will add even more but are also bigger in size which I don't like. If you were to buy this one, you would also need a usb-c to asb-a cable. Or if you bought a different battery with a usb-c port you may need a usb-c to usb-c cable. Here is a good video from Digital Foundry where they review a few batteries including the powercore 10000.

If there are any additional cables you need check bensonapproved.com and use that to figure out which specific cable to buy.

As for stands I don't know since I don't have one yet, but the Hori one is popular (and currently sold out at Amazon). Ideally a stand will allow you to charge while playing, have an opening in the back for the air intake openings on the Switch, be adjustable...and anything else you may need it to be.

With all that said, is any of this really necessary? Nope. Personally I wouldn't use mine without a screen protector and I'm getting a case to hold it just so it doesn't sit out getting dusty...but none of it is absolutely necessary.

How do I use the kickstand in the back of the Switch console? I want to prop it up on my table. Thing doesn't seem to want to come out and I don't want to force anything. Is there a release button i have to press?

How do I use the kickstand in the back of the Switch console? I want to prop it up on my table. Thing doesn't seem to want to come out and I don't want to force anything. Is there a release button i have to press?

It snaps on. Pull it out from the bottom. It's a little tough if you have no fingernails. There's no release button. Also, if it does pop off that's ok. It's made to pop off if there's too much pressure. It just snaps back into place.

What do the TV settings on the Switch say? Is it set to automatic? Try choosing 1080p and see what happens.

Yeah, unfortunately automatic. I got 1080p to show up to a different TV and through the XB1, but for some reason it's just not reading correctly on this particular set. Would be nice to force it, but I'm not sure that's possible.

For non gamers? I hate to say it but 1 2 switch is what you want.

They're experienced enough that 1-2 Switch was thoroughly loathed by everyone I showed it to. I actually brought it to a greek life event and the meme-tier, stereotypical sorority girls had a better time with Snipperclips than 1-2 Switch. I'm sure it has some manner of appeal but I haven't found anyone that really liked playing it.

Peeps I'm having over are at least invested enough to be pretty good at PuyoPuyo, so I'm thinking Bomberman might be ok?

Are you guys finding the two Joy-Con as separate controllers comfortable? The L/ZL/R/ZR side of the controllers is making it pretty difficult to hold for me. I wonder if it's just something you get used to.

rc213

Couple questions from a Nintendo Switch noob.
What's up with the eShop, Where are the Nes/SNES/N64 games? More importantly will the Switch get a YouTube app? Just seems like an odd app to omit from a portable gaming device.

Picked up Snipperclips so far, Having lots of fun. Anything else available in the same type of gameplay?

Can't wait to get Zelda and soonish Mario Kart 8.

So after the new firmware that just got released recently, my switch's fans sometimes go crazy just as I put it on and game for the first 5 mins, then goes back to normal.

japtor

But where do these Bluetooth dongles get their power? Do they need to connect also to the usb port?
They usually have a little battery charged by micro USB that lasts however many hours.

Ideally they'd be working on Bluetooth audio in an update since it seems like it should be possible with the hardware...but it's Nintendo so [Reggie shrug image here].

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Couple questions from a Nintendo Switch noob.
What's up with the eShop, Where are the Nes/SNES/N64 games? More importantly will the Switch get a YouTube app? Just seems like an odd app to omit from a portable gaming device.

Picked up Snipperclips so far, Having lots of fun. Anything else available in the same type of gameplay?

Can't wait to get Zelda and soonish Mario Kart 8.

More virtual console games are coming. When? Only Nintendo knows that...

I don't think Nintendo has said anything, but I'd imagine the OS would be updated to include new features like a YouTube app. I certainly hope this is the case because I really want a proper activity log app.

So after the new firmware that just got released recently, my switch's fans sometimes go crazy just as I put it on and game for the first 5 mins, then goes back to normal.

Mine has done this from the beginning. Not sure what's going on, but it always stops after a few minutes like yours.

ParityBit

The Switch only comes with one 6ft ac adapter when ideally you would have 2. One for the Switch dock to be plugged in at all times, and another for charging it undocked. You can either just charge it docked all the time, or maybe you won't use the dock much and so keep the adapter with the undocked Switch console. Or you can just use that single cable for doing whichever you need to do.

As for dock extensions I think people use them so they can charge the Switch without actually sliding it into the dock (since the dock can reportedly scratch the Switch).

You may want to get a screen protector also. (amFilm is the most popular).

As far as cases go, this Hori case and the Butterfox cases (the $24.99 updated cases) are well reviewed.

I also got an extra battery for my Switch for on the go or when I don't feel like using the regular wall adapter or losing power too quickly. I got the Anker PowerCore 10000 that adds about 5 hours of play time. There are others that will add even more but are also bigger in size which I don't like. If you were to buy this one, you would also need a usb-c to asb-a cable. Or if you bought a different battery with a usb-c port you may need a usb-c to usb-c cable. Here is a good video from Digital Foundry where they review a few batteries including the powercore 10000.

If there are any additional cables you need check bensonapproved.com and use that to figure out which specific cable to buy.

As for stands I don't know since I don't have one yet, but the Hori one is popular (and currently sold out at Amazon). Ideally a stand will allow you to charge while playing, have an opening in the back for the air intake openings on the Switch, be adjustable...and anything else you may need it to be.

With all that said, is any of this really necessary? Nope. Personally I wouldn't use mine without a screen protector and I'm getting a case to hold it just so it doesn't sit out getting dusty...but none of it is absolutely necessary.

Thanks for all that. Well, what cable works for bedside charging? That is probably all I need besides a case.

japtor

More virtual console games are coming. When? Only Nintendo knows that...

I don't think Nintendo has said anything, but I'd imagine the OS would be updated to include new features like a YouTube app. I certainly hope this is the case because I really want a proper activity log app.
There was this a few weeks ago after launch:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...sponds-to-our-biggest-gripes-with-the-switch/
Another thing I wanted to see on the Switch were some tablet functions such as streaming services or a Web browser. Is that something you’d look into down the line?

What I would say is this: We built the Nintendo Switch to be a world-class gaming device, meaning we want you first and foremost to play games on the system and have an incredibly fun experience.

We’re talking to a range of companies about other services, companies like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon — things that will come in time. In our view, these are not differentiators. What differentiates us is the way you play with the Nintendo Switch and what you can play. And that will continue to be our focus into the future as we continue driving this platform.
So I'd guess whenever those companies get to making Switch apps and/or Nintendo lets them. Wonder if the OS has content protection and HDCP support and stuff, if not then working on that could be a hold up too.

watershed

Banned
My 128GB micro sd and grey, blank carrying case both arrived from amazon today. I now have all the accessories I want for my Switch for the foreseeable future. Grey case with a black and grey Switch. Looks simple and clean.

Thanks for all that. Well, what cable works for bedside charging? That is probably all I need besides a case.
I'm not sure on that. You can always just buy another official one but it costs $30. Then there's a Hyperkin 4ft cable releasing April 12th for $17.

Otherwise if you need something longer you could separately buy a usb-c/usb-c cable plus a wall adapter with a usb-c port, or a usb-c to usb-a cable with a wall adapter with a usb-a port. I'm not sure what a good combination for that would be though. For the usb-c to usb-a cable you can look on bensonapproved.com

The wall adapter itself I'm not too sure on what one you'd need.

EDIT: I found this one that should work. It's 5ft long and only $13.49

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom