• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

peakish

I did that and it fixed that one bubble, but another one appeared so I tried to fix that one. I ended up fucking up the corner on the protector where the first bubble was by lifting it up too much. I tried to salvage the first protector I tried using, but the step 1 tab left a shit ton of adhesive on the protector rendering it useless. I snapped both of them in anger and am wondering if I should buy more or not. I take full responsibility for my mistakes :V
That sucks :/

So I fucked up applying the amFilm screen protector :/

I ruined the first one by peeling off the little tab that says step 1 and not the actual film and the other side with the two tabs fell off. The second one went way better, but there was an air bubble that would not go away no matter what. Here's a pic of it

Is there any way to get rid of it still or do I have to buy another set? :(
How long had it been? When putting tempered glass protectors on both my phone and Switch I've had bubbles that seemed like they wouldn't budge, but by the next day they had worked themselves out.

How long had it been? When putting tempered glass protectors on both my phone and Switch I've had bubbles that seemed like they wouldn't budge, but by the next day they had worked themselves out.

Thanks for trying to help. Both protectors are dead now, but yeah, it hadn't been any time at all. I steamed up my bathroom, and lifted the protector and got rid of the bubble. However, another one popped up and I think it was because one of the corners were on the plastic of the Switch and not aligned properly from when I put it back on (didn't have the tabs on the sides to help guide it)

I'm filling out a replacement order with TechMatte now to see if they will forgive me for my stupidity, lol

Unai

Close. The problem is the Switch is unable to negotiate with the s7 charger, because they are using two different technologies. The s7 should detect that and default to a safe 5v, and very likely will, but each plug is different, with some being legit dangerous like the Nexus 5x so it is hard to give a blanket thumbs up.

What Smite said. The charger and the device in question will initiate the handshake and when there aren't any compatible USB-PD charge rate that's agreeable between them, it'll default down to 5V1.5A, the lowest safe common USB-A charge rate. Bear in mind, the Switch isn't compatible with anything other fast-charge protocol other than USB-PD, but due to some poorly QC-ed chargers that combines these other fast-charge protocols with USB-PD, therein lies the danger: the device keeps querying for more power, the charger kept supplying it, which ultimately results in a brownout (best case scenario) or charger overheats and burns your house down while you left it charging at night while you sleep (worse case scenario). Not exaggerating, the Google testers who tested these out-of-specs cables and chargers have lost ports on their Google Pixel C, and in the case of Nathan.K, blown his entire PC power supply with it. Pretty scary.

That makes sense! Thanks for the explanation you both.

BFIB

So I fucked up applying the amFilm screen protector :/

I ruined the first one by peeling off the little tab that says step 1 and not the actual film and the other side with the two tabs fell off. The second one went way better, but there was an air bubble that would not go away no matter what. Here's a pic of it

Is there any way to get rid of it still or do I have to buy another set? :(
Take a credit card and push the bubble toward the edge.

ZeroXZee

OK, I don't know if its the right place to ask this, but here we go:

I'm going to the Netherlands in two weeks, and I want to buy a Switch there, if possible. How's the Stock situation there?

Mr. Hyde

I got a couple of those and fixed them by carefully lifting the film in that area. When I released it again it settled into place perfectly.

This was me too. I messed up the first one and then the second went on but it had a bubble near the edge that would not go away no matter how many times I gently rubbed it with the card. I ended up pulling up the edge of the protector and lying it back down. It went away. I was about to be so frustrated. It looks fine now. No bubbles!

OmegaFax

UqDJwXcl.jpg

t9o4NL3l.jpg

Just got this USB-C power meter. Now I can get a little more scientific than the previous observation I made with regards to the fast-charging rate of USB-PD chargers and powerbank. The Switch is currently being used as a battery for the Nexus 6P, indicated by the arrow. Discharging it to around 80% battery before plugging in the USB-PD battery and chargers.

What happens if you move the power flow the other way? How well does the Nexus 6P charge the Switch?

abbyabs

Help gaf! I got a refund on my switch last week and purchased a new one from nintendo but i did not deactivate it now i can't download any games or demos on my new switch.

Support call centre is now close I wanted to buy a few games any ideas?

I was thinking of deleting my account and making a new one but would that effect mynintendo points? or is that linked to Nintendo ID?

What happens if you move the power flow the other way? How well does the Nexus 6P charge the Switch?

By the same amount, if I recall correctly, 5V 0.5A, because the Nexus 6P isn't a USB-PD device, the latest Google Pixel phones are. There's a prompt on the Nexus 6P that toggles the direction the charge flow goes. I use the Nexus 6P to drain the Switch battery faster down to below 80% before I start taking the readouts for the different chargers.

Man, Snake Pass looks bad in portable mode, talking about IQ... feels a bit like a 3DS game when played in 3D as far as jaggies/clarity go, clearly much lower than 720p and sub-native almost always looks bad. Graphically the game is good but it's also flat: the missing shadowing/advanced lighting takes away a lot of the character of the visual style, colors don't pop and Snake kinda blends with the environment.

And man, MAN. The rumble is busted (they'll patch it but how could this pass QA/certification?).
WHY THE HELL IS THE SWITCH CONTROLLERS RUMBLE FEATURE under System's Options instead of under Controls?!
So backwords, especially now that some games don't even give you such option in-game but you need to turn it off at system level.

"Jaggies" ? It's sub-native so quite blurry. I'm not sure jaggies is the term you're looking for.

The patch yesterday fixed the rumble and updated the lighting.

chekhonte

UqDJwXcl.jpg

t9o4NL3l.jpg

Just got this USB-C power meter. Now I can get a little more scientific than the previous observation I made with regards to the fast-charging rate of USB-PD chargers and powerbank. The Switch is currently being used as a battery for the Nexus 6P, indicated by the arrow. Discharging it to around 80% battery before plugging in the USB-PD battery and chargers.

really interesting.I have a usb c powerbank which my switch tries to charge. I haven't tested if the battery will start to charge the switch after it get's to a certain percentage. I'll give it a try.

That's a cool doodad by the way.

Pretty crazy how typical non gamers are getting the Switch. One of my best friends decided to get one yesterday when it went up on Amazon. Zelda fever plus the handheld console idea was really appealing to him.

Few people in my office were asking me about it and are waiting for restocks to purchase one themselves. Pretty nuts.

japtor

I'm looking at USB Type C cell phone docks that would keep the Switch upright and give me an option for charging it with a power brick at the same time, anyone have any ideas?
Is there a "dock" that doesn't block the screen, angles the switch back like the kickstand without sucking like the kickstand and packs ~10,000 or more mAh into the base to power the Switch as well?

Preferably under $50?
Sony makes a $50 USB-C dock for their phones that happens to fit the Switch, otherwise I found a $20 folding phone/tablet stand (or non folding $13 one) that seems like it should work well, although the plastic official Hori one looks like it'd be fine too and fold flatter.

...course none of those have a battery built in. I did see one similar to that folding one with a 10,000mah battery in the base/open gap where it folds but I forget how much it was. Course you could ghetto rig something yourself like tape/glue a battery to the base of whatever stand yourself and find a short USB cable.

Peltz

Pretty crazy how typical non gamers are getting the Switch. One of my best friends decided to get one yesterday when it went up on Amazon. Zelda fever plus the handheld console idea was really appealing to him.

Few people in my office were asking me about it and are waiting for restocks to purchase one themselves. Pretty nuts.

Yeah, same here. My coworker's last system was the Wii and she wants one.

chekhonte

I work at an apple store and 6 coworkers have bought a switch not including myself. 4 of them I didn't even know were interested in games.

From my limited insight, it seems to be interesting dorks who moved over to phone games and their last dedicated game device was the DS when they were kids.

I hope that this console has solid penetration into the casual market. I've been wanting a console like this for ages and would love to see a long life and a ton of games. It still worries me that it's just not profitable anymore for third parties to develop for a single device as you can't port from the ps4/xbox one if you're game is highly demanding. We'd need to see this console on track to sell 60M before we'd start seeing other companies jump on board. That's no impossible but I just never know how a Nintendo console will do.

ngower

How much did Nintendo pay you for this comment? Haven't you read GAF?!?!

/s

really interesting.I have a usb c powerbank which my switch tries to charge. I haven't tested if the battery will start to charge the switch after it get's to a certain percentage. I'll give it a try.

That's a cool doodad by the way.

The way I made sure that the charge is going the right way (powerbank to Switch) is to have it on sleep mode first before plugging in the cable from the powerbank. Do not plug the cable first on to the Switch and then connect the other end to the powerbank later, more often than not, that results in the charging flow going the opposite way.

On certain occasion I had to completely switch off the Switch, and then plug in the charging cable from the powerbank. It gets confusing sometimes, but I've gotten the Switch to start charging from sleep mode down pat now with plugging in the charging cable into the Switch last.

chekhonte

The way I made sure that the charge is going the right way (powerbank to Switch) is to have it on sleep mode first before plugging in the cable from the powerbank. Do not plug the cable first on to the Switch and then connect the other end to the powerbank later, more often than not, that results in the charging flow going the opposite way.

On certain occasion I had to completely switch off the Switch, and then plug in the charging cable from the powerbank. It gets confusing sometimes, but I've gotten the Switch to start charging from sleep mode down pat now with plugging in the charging cable into the Switch last.

Really good to know. I'll test that out next time I run my switch down

You can't. The beefiest power source will always charge the weakest power source with USB.

Not necessarily. The rules has changed with USB-C PD.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/03/02/nintendo-switch-usb-c-macbook-pro/

It all depends on which device is slaved to do the charging first.

A quick snap to prove it. I plugged in the cable into the Nexus 6P first while it is on, turn off the Switch, and plugged the USB-C cable to the Switch. Reverse that process if you wanna do the opposite.

5ObxuIul.jpg

FX-GMC

Please do. That was one of my option, RAVPower refuses to ship across the Pacific when I enquired about it. I may even attempt to purchase it by forwarding service if it proves to better than the QB820.

Code:
Test was performed using Zelda BotW, Max Brightness, WiFi Connected, Battery at 65%

Nintendo Switch Charger   14.9v     1.00-1.48a  (observed values)
RP-PB059 USB-C/PD         15.2v     1.00-1.45a  (observed values)
RP-PB059 USB-A             4.9v        1.45a    (observed values)

Equipment used in this test:

Plugable USB-C Voltage and Amperage Meter

RavPower RP-PB059 20100mAh Power Bank
1b5F54C.jpg

iOrange-E 6.6ft USB C to USB C Cable

Nekteck USB 3.1 USB-C to USB A Cable

If ARMS is gonna hit before E3, shouldn't we get some info (like a solid release date) vaguely soon? I'm thirsty for any Switch updates though, a direct would be hype as hell

Code:
Test was performed using Zelda BotW, Max Brightness, WiFi Connected, Battery at 65%

Nintendo Switch Charger   14.9v     1.00-1.48a  (observed values)
RP-PB059 USB-C/PD         15.2v     1.00-1.45a  (observed values)
RP-PB059 USB-A             4.9v        1.45a    (observed values)

Fantastic work! Looks like the RAVPower indeed pushed slightly better amperage than the QB820. The QB820 fluctuates around 0.9A to 1.2A (at 15V) as well, but I took it as 1.0A as it hovers around that mark more often than the peak and lower figures.

Now to figure out how to get this shipped to South East Asia.....I rather not resort to eBay.

silentbum

Neo Member
Are these ACA Hamster games poorly optimized on the Switch? I just bought and played Metal Slug and the framerate was taking gigantic hits. I'm not even as sensitive to framerates as some people are, but this was straight running in slow motion sometimes.

Bummer, :/

7roject28

Feels weird playing with the Pro Controller after playing with and got used to the Joycon grip. Like the right analog feels so far away and the analog sticks have a lot more travel than the Joycon ones. + and - buttons and the home button in different spots.

I just got my Switch in the mail and I've already run into a problem I didn't think of: Playing with headphones while docked.

I thought the Pro controller would be the answer but it seems like it doesn't have a headphone jack. What are my options here, aside from getting headphones with a really long cord?

I just got my Switch in the mail and I've already run into a problem I didn't think of: Playing with headphones while docked.

I thought the Pro controller would be the answer but it seems like it doesn't have a headphone jack. What are my options here, aside from getting headphones with a really long cord?

That's your only option unfortunately (AFAIK).

Dynomutt

Get one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IV1H1ME/?tag=neogaf0e-20

518sBX1YPjL._SL1500_.jpg

It's BT 4.0 and then if you don't have bluetooth headphones use this to receive!

51cWt4r1U5L._SL1500_.jpg

It has all the controls you need. About $60 total but it could worth the convenience!

Are these ACA Hamster games poorly optimized on the Switch? I just bought and played Metal Slug and the framerate was taking gigantic hits. I'm not even as sensitive to framerates as some people are, but this was straight running in slow motion sometimes.

Bummer, :/

The original hardware had loads of slowdown. Nothing particularly unoptimized about them on Switch. That is just how these games play.

If they release Metal Slug 2 (not X) then you will really see some shit.

TechMatte are pretty swell people. Getting a replacement for the two amFilm screen protectors I goofed up on and ruined! Good product and a good company!

LOCK

So I have a new Switch and it will not connect to my wifi.

It will find the signal sometimes and when I click connect to internet it won't work.

Sometime it won't find the signal at all as found connections.

It's connected to the internet only twice but not long enough to download the system update.

Any suggestions?

Persona7

Banned
So I have a new Switch and it will not connect to my wifi.

It will find the signal sometimes and when I click connect to internet it won't work.

Sometime it won't find the signal at all as found connections.

It's connected to the internet only twice but not long enough to download the system update.

Any suggestions?

Bring up a hotspot on your phone if possible to rule out your router. If the switch still has issues then the wifi chip is probably defective.

Persona7

Banned
I wonder if newer hardware comes pre-loaded with the day one system update. Or if any games have the software pre-loaded like Wii U and 3DS games.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else have an unresponsive Y button (or any other button for that matter) on their right joycon? If I push the Y button in quick succession it can be very unresponsive. This isn't a problem in Zelda, but in Blaster Master it almost breaks the game. Is there an easy fix for unresponsive buttons or do I need to call Nintendo?

I know you can change the button mapping in BM, but that doesn't fix my Y button being unresponsive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom