• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekim

I've a strange problem. I've just bought my Switch and I want to update, but my console sees all the connections around my house (neighbours) except for the only one I need, mine connection...

Now I'm updating with another connection, but you know what problem can be?

Do you use only WPA? If so switch to WPA2

Coda

I love all the sound effects the system has. It's not just like 3 sounds for everything but probably 20-40 system wide which is really cool. It all feels very Nintendo while still being modern.

KAL2006

Banned
If they were going to do this, it should have been on day one, if you ask me. Aw, well.

No they can be waiting for the holiday or the following year.

I'm sure Nintendo have a few casual games brewing.

DS had Brain Age and Nintendogs
Wii had Wii Sports and Wii Fit

Switch can easily get successors of all those casual games as it has motion controls and touchscreen

Oregano

Finally got my Switch, set it up! Messed up applying the Screen Protector that came with the case(I'm so bad at that)...

Hype though, the hardware feels great!

Just leaving it to charge for a bit.

SuperSah

Banned
Got my console in Neon.

It feels AMAZING. Each joy con melts RIGHT into my hand. Kickstand is great - phenomenal piece of kit :D

Currently dumping the two SPI flash ic's on the pcb of the dock, at current it looks like the dock has some code to check stuff and communicate with the switch..

The bad news is, those adapters are more than likely not going to work.
The good news is I can reverse engineer the code and implement it into a home made dock

Let me know when you are taking orders. Lol. I don't want to drag that dock with me flying international.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Yeah, screw Amazon. The Nintendo Store employees move that line with expert precision, got online and walked out with a Switch within, like, 20 minutes.

Picked up Zelda Master Edition for a friend.

Sorry for potato quality, but phone charging switch...

CpNxJkj.jpg

And switch charging phone:

qhWCF8P.jpg

Two dumb questions.

1. Is there any film on the screen I need to peel off? Sometimes it's hard to spot and I can't nail the edges to see if there is.

2. Is there a way to turn it off-off and not just sleep?

Fledz

Ok, headphones work no problem while the thing is docked. So that means next step is to hook it up via HDMI to my PC monitor and play it in bed. Sound is easily adjusted on the console.

I don't even need to play it portable now, can just shift it to the PC when the TV is in use.

Those with both, what is better? Pro Controller or Joy Con? State why purdy please wit sugar on top!

Pro controller. After using it, I have no idea how people could possibly play Zelda without it. The Joycons are awful because of the size. If they released a full size set that made the joycons wider to match I'd buy them in a heartbeat.

Due to all of this, I am not really able to play Zelda undocked unless I have it in tabletop mode with my Pro controller.

likeGdid

This might have been posted already, but if not I just wanted to share that the 3DS Stand (that comes with Kid Icarus: Uprising) is stable enough to hold the Switch in tabletop mode while charging. It's not as safe as the HORI Playstand, but it seems to do the job for now.

Getting frustrated and needing some help before I break my Joy-cons.

How in the freaking hell do you take the part with the safety strap on it off the main Joy-con?

thefil

Anyone know how to play Bomberman in 2-player mode with each joycon acting independently? Realized I have no idea to tell the switch I want to use them as 2 player...

kennyamr

So I just found out that Nintendo doesn't accept American Express...

;_; I guess it's time to buy some combination of those eShop cards on Amazon?

2017 /o/

Coffinhal

Is it just me or is the Switch launch nowhere near PS4/Xbox One launch hype levels? It doesnt feel like an event. It seems like only the hardcore community knows about it. When PS4 and Xbox One launched it was like THE devices of the moment.

Maybe it is because we are not in the Holidays?

I feel just the opposite. Neogaf.gif

I picked up the console at the store 30 min after it opened today in France. There was 10+ people waiting at the pickup point and 3 people were handing over Switch every minute and saying they've done that for 30 minutes now.

Then I went to my university and at least 3 or 4 friends asked me, seeing the package in my backpack, if I really did buy the new Nintendo/Nintendo Switch. And were amazed by it. They're not gamers.

Lots of commercials (not only in Paris) and people are talking about Zelda. This is kind of big for a solo March launch !

Sendou

Anyone else hear a low level hiss/buzz when using earphones on the switch? It's drowned out when other sounds are happening but it's there when it's otherwise quiet.

Indeed. In quiet scenes you can hear it coming even from the speakers. Easily noticeable with headphones.

LAA

Liking the switch so far!
Have a question though. I want a charger to use for the switch when it's in portable mode but looking amazon, it's £28 for the official charger...
Is there a better alternative? Tried a USB socket but doesn't seem to charge the power enough compared to what's being used.
I tried my S7 charger but just keeps it at the same % And doesn't charge it.

Also looking for something to use so I can charge it in table top mode.

NimbusD

Jesus. A friend of mine sold his switch+zelda for over 600 bucks today. Makes me feel like a chump for giving my extra to a friend ahhaha.

Jedi2016

Ok. Got mine, got everything set up. Played Zelda for a couple hours.

So far, good impressions. The unit itself feels nice and solid. The Joy-Cons in the grip feel fine as a "controller", and I didn't have much trouble using them independently, either.

The UI on the device itself is wonderful, but on a 60" TV, I found everything to be way too large. They should have applied some kind of scaling to the UI when it's on a television, especially a large one. Actually, I think there is an option for that in the system settings, I might have to go fiddling with it and see what it does, if it makes any difference.

Getting my Nintendo account linked was quick and painless.

I did have one issue getting the thing online after it updated its software for the first time. It didn't seem to want to reconnect to my wireless router. I ended up having to go back in and change the "Auto Connect" options off and on again, and then it connected fine. Took me a few minutes of retrying to figure it out.

For those wondering about third-party cases (given the problem with the Insignia case earlier in the thread), I bought THIS Hyperkin case from Amazon and was finally able to try it out. The Switch itself fits in the bottom half fine (nice and snug), but that mesh on the top half is pretty much worthless. I tried putting the wrist straps in there, but there's nothing to hold things in, so the next time you open the case, there's a better than average chance they'll just fall on the floor. I guess if you had something big enough to actually stretch the elastic on that mesh, it would hold, but then you'd have a hard time closing it against the system, so... Not bad if you're carrying only the system and some games, but forget about accessories. It's only ten bucks, though, so take it for what it's worth.

It does seem as though the system runs on battery all the time. So even if it's "charging", it's still playing the game off the same power that it's trying to refill. After two hours of Zelda, the system had barely gotten 10% additional charge. Bear that in mind if you're wanting a "quick" charge.. if you plan to continue playing, it ain't gonna be quick.

As for the Joy-Con connection issue.. yep, it's there. I'm sitting on a couch about nine feet from the TV, and the system is down near the floor, sitting on top of my PS4. I would cross my legs without even thinking about it, and then I notice that Link didn't always stop moving once I let go of the stick... my leg was in between the controller and the system and was apparently blocking the signal. Definitely need to fix that.. I don't have that problem with any other system that I play the same way. I might end up getting a Pro controller at some point, but I don't feel that it's entirely necessary right now. Aside from the connection/interference issue with the Joy-Cons, the Grip controller is perfectly fine.

Overall, I like it. I can finally get back into the Nintendo fold after two full generations without one (aside from handhelds).

LordKano

So, I don't have the Switch and won't be able to afford one until early next month, but I still wanted to see how it was to go into a store on a console launch day. I'm in Belgium, and, unlike France and Germany, it's not really a country where Nintendo does particularly good numbers. 3DS sells fine, but Wii U hardly moved any numbers. (Still better than Xbox tho).

I went into the two biggest stores, fnac and Mediamarkt. Both of them had Switch in stores, available when I came (fnac had a lot of them, while Mediamarkt only a handful). I talked with the seller a bit, he told me that it's selling great for the moment, and that it helped increase walk-in traffic (it was definitely more crowded than usually). However, something strange met my sight. There were a bunch of Switch in each stores, but no Zelda. I came into different stores later, and still no sign of a single Zelda box. It was kinda impressive how there were still a handful of 1-2 Switch and Just Dance, but not a single Zelda (Bomberman was out of stock in one store, and still had a handful of copies in the other).

I asked the seller about this of course, and he told me that, one hour after the opening, almost every Zelda on Switch was sold-out. By noon there were none in the store, and they're not expecting a new batch until late next week. Until then, they have to count on Bomberman R and 1-2 Switch to sell remaining consoles (might be hard).

Also, I was impressed at how popular were the accessories. People didn't seem to be offset by the price. I didn't even see a pair of red/blue joy-cons. Pro controller isn't very popular tho.
(by the way, there was an accessory listed for 24.99 but I have no idea what it was. They sell everything at MSRP so, anyone has an idea ?)

I really can't wait to get one by next month.

d00d3n

The online retailer rushed the pro controller to me today, but the switch is not here. Very disappointing, spelbutiken Sweden! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom