• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SiDCrAzY

Just got my switch, updated everything. No problems software or hardware wise(yet).

If anybody wants to add me feel free, I'm friendless: SW-2702-9624-3900

EDIT: Top of the page, yay.

Coda

HD rumble is pretty interesting. I've only tried games like Fast RMX and Vroom in the Night Sky so I'm not sure that they use it to it's fullest but it feels like my controllers are like about to explode from the vibration and pulsing effect, not in a bad way, but in a more wow this is pretty cool way.

zoukka

I've been testing mine today. I've got mixed feelings.

First the positives: Overall the build quality and feel of the device and its controllers is very solid, even the single joy-cons feel useable with their wristband attachments attached. The screen in particular is gorgegous, with good viewing angles and a sharp image. The buttons feel good, except perhaps the "d-pad" but I'd have to test that on a 2D game. I also like the system software so far in terms of functionality and its look. Compared to the somewhat bulky and tame Wii U, the Switch definitely feels like a sleek, current gen hybrid device for a slightly older audience. This is helped in large part by the excellent branding.

That said, the system is plagued by small and bigger niggles. As reported, Zelda's framerate is definitely worse in docked mode, which to me is inexcusable as this difference should have been the opposite or, preferably, non-existent. The left joy-con has been acting up by desyncing pretty much constantly (while using the grip mostly), which is also inexcusable as it makes playing a game nearly impossible. I really, really hope both of these can be fixed with updates.

In addition, the very narrow single kickstand seems completely too small to keep the system stable and upright in tabletop mode when using it on any slightly moving surface like a tray table in a train or, yes, in a plane as advertised. Two kickstands would have been far better. I also still can't really believe that they chose to put the charging connector at the bottom so that it prevents charging while in tabletop mode (unless you buy the bigger stand...). Docking the system had me worried about scratching the screen because of a lack of soft material inside the dock, and today a thread popped up that confirmed my worries, meaning I'll have to apply a screen protector for the first time ever (since I never needed one before on any device save for the 3DS, which I solved by always using a piece of cloth when shutting the flap). This is a big problem I feel, one that should have been ironed out during product development. Finally, having no headphone jack on anything except the console itself sucks as well as I'd prefer playing on TV while using simple earbuds like on PS4 (now especially when our daughter is asleep in the other room). The pro controller at the very least should have offered this option.

In short, I'm happy with my system, in part because of Zelda (which I admittedly could have played on Wii U as well...) but also worried about quite a few design decisions and day 1 problems. Hopefully some of these will be fixed without too much hassle like recalls...others, I'll have to learn to live with unfortunately.

Damn this really soured me. It seems like they will make a revision soon with proper stands, better charger position and new joycons...

White lack down, then push it off. It's a tight fit but it shouldn't break..

Well I'm not sure how I did it but it finally came off. I'm thinking maybe I had it on wrong. When it is attached correctly does it align flush with the joy-con or are they staggered slightly? Hopefully that makes sense.

Neoweee

The system is trying to do too much, and it hamstrings ability for there to be revisions.

What could they actually add with revisions? Controllers being attached basically ensures that any revisions have the same main dimensions. Bezel could be reduced for a large scree, but that's it. Same thickness and height, no matter what.

The could add...
- Bluetooth
- More built-in storage
- Revised Joycons that maybe have a D-pad
- Gorilla glass screen.
- TV out without dock.
- Better Kickstand

... any not a whole lot else.

Man putting the shoulder button attachment/straps on the joycons make me nervous. Anyone else feel like they require a little too much force to slide on and off, even while unlocked and pressing the release button?

Get'sMad

Liking the thing overall but it's pretty cramped/rough on my hands in portable mode...thankfully I'll be primarily using it on a tv. The Joycons don't bother me nearly as much in the grip but I will definitely be picking up a Pro controller eventually.

enewtabie

What a great day. Took the day off because of working in Charlotte,going to Chicago and Iowa next and it worked out that the Switch released today. Just getting around to sitting it up. Had to remove the Wii U first. It's really polished and I'm excited to play it. It downloads pretty fast,gets to the game fast and the UI is quick. Controls feel nice as well.

I made an unboxing video if anyone is curious..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b_JSaPJwIc

and my friend code is sw-1691-3205-5331

Nesther

Just tried the sd card on my brothers Switch and it worked. Guess I got a broken Switch and will need to replace it. Really frustrating.

bryanee

Man putting the shoulder button attachment/straps on the joycons make me nervous. Anyone else feel like they require a little too much force to slide on and off, even while unlocked and pressing the release button?

I agree, I wasnt sure if I had the lock on or off at one point because it was still a little tougher than it should be to get them off.

The Pro controller is fantastic. I'll never use the joycons off of the system whilst I have this bad boy.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
What a great day. Took the day off because of working in Charlotte,going to Chicago and Iowa next and it worked out that the Switch released today. Just getting around to sitting it up. Had to remove the Wii U first. It's really polished and I'm excited to play it. It downloads pretty fast,gets to the game fast and the UI is quick. Controls feel nice as well.

I made an unboxing video if anyone is curious..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b_JSaPJwIc

and my friend code is sw-1691-3205-5331

Congrats. Always cool to see someone excited for this and happy to play!

Perhaps there is a thread for sharing friend codes? Or... someone can start one? I'm friendless on Switch, but.. I only have Zelda right now anyway. I do most of my gaming on other systems, but it would be nice to have friends to play with.

Is there voice chat with friends on the Switch yet? I'm friendless, so I haven't bothered to see where the options are or if it may indeed be limited to the phone app (which isn't out yet).

Does anyone else having a hard time detaching the joycon sliders? While pushing the button I have to use quite some force and it doesnt sound healty when they come off. Getting them off the screen and the controller grip is super smooth and feels like it's suppoded to feel I guess.

No one? You all have them in the box...

So far so good! No issues, though I've only played in portable mode.

The only downside I've had is that I couldn't use my full GAF name on my nickname because it was one letter too long.

Add me: SW-4474-3127-2713

usp84

Is the tablet with joycons indepedent from the dock if you want?Or this the dock required to charge the joycons?

Maengun1

Just opened everything up, set the console up and did all the settings/internet etc., updated Zelda and played for literally like 3 minutes-- I wanna save it for a long session tonight. Charging the pro controller now as well.

I'm loving everything about the system tbh, except I dunno if it's just me but putting the joycon straps on and off is a HUGE pain in the ass? I literally feel like I'm gonna destroy the joycons every time I do it.

edit: just reading back and seeing a lot of this lol. We're all in it together!

I'm sweating everytime I try to slide them off

I just brought this up. I actually thought I put it on wrong. I asked above but it got skimmed over too fast but maybe you can help me. When you attach the shoulder buttons with the safety strap correctly are the pieces flush up against each other or are they staggered a bit?

Only got Bomberman R with my Switch. Played a quick round there against the CPU.

My God. The nostalgia. It's 30fps as many have moaned about but seriously what an amazing game, so much fun on your own can't wait to play with friends.

Got the official carry case, was £25 but well worth it as it fits everything. Only complaint is that it doesn't have a dedicated game cartridge case.

The system it's self is lovely. Feels premium and feels that for once Nintendo have made a system that has a grown up feel. Zelda sold out on Amazon and Game wanted £60 for it. So going to wait a bit.

sleepnaught

Surprised several people had issues with the left joy con. I tried both about 20+ft away through a wall+2 TV's and entertainment centers, worked without any issue.

First impression was how small this thing is. I just couldn't believe it. I'm really going to enjoy taking this thing out with me. Screen gets plenty bright for me, I'll probably keep it at 2/3 brightness unless outside. Joycons are really neat and felt great to me, the dpad thingy on the left joycon was serviceable for me while playing Shovel Knight . Joycon grip was comfy, though I'll probably stick with the Pro Controller the majority of the time when docked.

Only cons I have is the fact the dock isn't powered. This is mostly my problem, as my Samsung F5300 won't allow me to Select HDMI 2 for the Switch until it's docked. Minor grievance, but keeps it from being a seemless transition. The fault of my TV, though, not the Switch. Only other gripe is I felt that screen was a bit washed out. Colors could be more vibrant, blacks could be better, etc. This thing would have seriously benefited from an OLED screen, but I understand the cost constraints going in.

All in all, looks to be one awesome piece of kit. Can't wait to get off work and go pick up Zelda and really put this thing to the test!

Maengun1

Am i the only one that finds it absolutely sublime to play zelda with the detached joycons? I am in love.

I got the pro controller and will mainly use that with Zelda, but yeah I like this as well. And honestly after the initial "holy crap the joycon sticks are SO small" I got used to them quickly and kinda like that setup too

Yay, mine just came in! Feels surprisingly high quality/premium compared to the Wii U and the screen looks fantastic! Joy cons are a lot smaller than expected but they feel pretty nice, also I thought the right Joy con joystick placement was gonna bother me a bit when I first saw it but I'm actually okay with how it feels. Can't wait to start up Zelda!

Caayn

There were a bunch of Switch in each stores, but no Zelda. I came into different stores later, and still no sign of a single Zelda box. It was kinda impressive how there were still a handful of 1-2 Switch and Just Dance, but not a single Zelda (Bomberman was out of stock in one store, and still had a handful of copies in the other).
Zelda was hard to get in the Netherlands as well. I only pre-ordered the Switch itself not any games thinking that games would be readily available, including Zelda. In the end I needed to visit 4 stores (Nedgame, Gamemania, Intertoys, Bart Smit) before I found one that had a copy of Zelda, and that was 10:30 this morning O_O

MrGerbils

My docked and sleeping switch keeps causing my tv (Samsung KS8000) to switch over to its input even when nothing is happening.

I'm trying to watch Netflix on my Apple TV right now, and every few minutes it just changes over to the input my Switch is connected to. The screen stays blank, the Switch doesn't wake up, it just changes to that input for no reason. Reallllly annoying.

No right there with you. My brother accidentally attached it backwards and my heart sank when I thought the joycon was bricked. I got it off and was surprised to see it feels equally forceful when attached properly.

Thanks. Seems so bad for the material that I don't see me using them at all...

deoee

Sorry for potato quality, but phone charging switch...

CpNxJkj.jpg

And switch charging phone:

qhWCF8P.jpg

Does the phone need to have USB C too? :)

TZchassis

Just got my switch. Downloading Zelda for the second time. Hopefully I don't get an error when I reach 80% again!

Feel free to add me: SW-4649-6445-3786

TZchassis

I'm curious whether I am doing something wrong with the straps because pulling them out scares me! I feel I have to apply a much stronger force than with removing the joycons from the device.

JUst came in the mail!! So pumped. Before I start Zelda I'm confused about a few things if you all could help me out!

1- how do I charge this bad boy? Does the tablet charged when its docked, and if so, how do I charge it on the go?? How do I charge the joy cons? Are they charging while in the joy grip? Basically confused about charging :)

2 - is there only a headphone jack in the tablet but not in the joycons or the grip? Kind of sucks since I have a sleeping baby and I want headphones in for the big screen Zelda!

3 - what do green buttons on grip represent?

Thank you all! So excited! I feel like I'm 8 again, I freaking ran down the ups guy. Lol

TheBear

Bought the super expensive charger as I needed an extra only to realise the pro controller comes with a USB c cable.

Can I use any USB wall socket thing or do I need a special one? Should I just hang on to the one I bought?

RedBoot

Any indication why the US didn't get the five Neo Geo games? Or just the usual lol NoA thing?

Loving the system otherwise. I'm going to go ahead and assume the order in which the built-in avatars were listed is Nintendo's own pecking order for those franchises. At least there were a few Metroid ones in there.

Roxas

Gaf I have a problem. I think my console is DOA. Specifically the red (right) joy con. It will not sync at all to the switch. On initial start up when it asks you to put the Controllers in, the blue one works fine. It has a solid green light showing it is synced. The red one has nothing. I press the sync button and it just endlessly searches for something to sync to.

So basically my console cannot get past the initial setup. Meaning I can't even get to the settings. Anyone had or heard of this problem?

Edit: I should also note I have had it on charge for 2 hours now

My docked and sleeping switch keeps causing my tv (Samsung KS8000) to switch over to its input even when nothing is happening.

I'm trying to watch Netflix on my Apple TV right now, and every few minutes it just changes over to the input my Switch is connected to. The screen stays blank, the Switch doesn't wake up, it just changes to that input for no reason. Reallllly annoying.

II was relieved to see this post. * have my ps4 and switch connected to an HDMI switcher and once I turned my Switch off and started playing on the PS4. the screen kept momentarily going black. No idea why the Switch keeps doing it quite so often though. I could imagine it "phoning home" a couple of times a day, but not every 30 mins.

DjRalford

Well I'm not sure how I did it but it finally came off. I'm thinking maybe I had it on wrong. When it is attached correctly does it align flush with the joy-con or are they staggered slightly? Hopefully that makes sense.

It should go + to + or - to -, also the white locking latch at the bottom needs t be released for it to slide off smoothly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom