• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

weekev

Banned
Excellent, thanks. Going to play Zelda this way I think.
It's the way I've been playing it. My wife likes to snuggle on the sofa when I play games and she reads a book, it's normally really uncomfortable but I do it cos I love her (awwww I know) split joycons is a fucking god send. So comfy.

Regarding the wrist strap piece that slides into the joy con controllers, how do you remove just the straps themselves from the piece? Do you have to take a mini screwdriver to the thing?

Monumma

Does anyone else see something like this in their profile?

C5-mC2GUYAA81Ii.jpg

I only have "first played" for my 2 games, but if this is true then somewhere on the switch they save playclocks. That means that they can do an activity log that works retroactively, doesn't it?

SexyFish

Banned
Does anyone else see something like this in their profile?

C5-mC2GUYAA81Ii.jpg

I only have "first played" for my 2 games, but if this is true then somewhere on the switch they save playclocks. That means that they can do an activity log that works retroactively, doesn't it?
I believe most people are getting their activity log from the parental control app.

Monumma

I believe most people are getting their activity log from the parental control app.

I know that and I am using it too, You can only see how much time a switch has been turned on and which software was used, though, not the time for a single game.

Can anyone with the separate official power adapter tell me the length of the cable? I can't seem to find any confirmation of this anywhere... I expect it's the same as the one bundled with the system?

For anyone searching for similar information, I answered my own question (by buying one) - the separate power adapter is the same length as the system bundled one, at least on the UK model.

JonCha

It's the way I've been playing it. My wife likes to snuggle on the sofa when I play games and she reads a book, it's normally really uncomfortable but I do it cos I love her (awwww I know) split joycons is a fucking god send. So comfy.

Yeah, sound pretty awesome. I can imagine situations like the poster earlier where you'll be chilling with it in portable mode, like on a flight or on the train, and can just hold the Cons discretely.

Activity Log is such a vanity-thing - heck, it's almost better NOT to know your playtime - but I miss it. Steam still has the best implementation of it, but the 3DS one was great, too. Why not just copy that to the Switch, eh? With that said, I don't really mind either way. If it comes with an OS-update, nice, but if it doesn't... Well, I'll still enjoy my Switch.

BooJoh

Also, are the shovel knight games worth a buy?

Shovel Knight is great. It feels like a classic NES game but at the same time it feels very modern.

Do note that you don't need both of the ones on the Switch eShop. Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove includes the original game (now called Shovel of Hope,) the Plague of Shadows DLC, and Specter of Torment, and will receive future DLC updates free including another full campaign and a battle mode like SSB with Shovel Knight characters.

The standalone Specter of Torment is just that single DLC as a standalone game.

Gaming side is so negative ATM. I understand that there are a lot of legit issues like the screen dock thing and the left joycon (which personally affects me), but how can anyone let these things overrule the enjoyment of using this thing?

The feel, the snappiness, the noises of the joy cons clacking and sliding, the clicks and pops of the UI... it's just pleasurable to use.

Zelda is awesome, Snipperclips is awesome, Shovel Knight is awesome. The experience of playing on the TV, deciding you want to play in bed and just slipping the console out and playing immediately is awesome.

kami_sama

Does the home button have a led? I thought it had one, and I think I see one on the teardown video by gamersnexus, but I haven't seen it light up at all.

I went ahead and opened mine up. I wanted to get it all set up and charged before Monday so I can play Zelda.

I already love it. I'd like to buy Fast RMX, but I've gone kinda spend crazy and I want the dust to settle a little...

But I really want to play it tho. >_>

I wish the main menu and the eshop had music. Looking forward to some new themes, too.

Lkr

Does the home button have a led? I thought it had one, and I think I see one on the teardown video by gamersnexus, but I haven't seen it light up at all.
No it does not
Has anyone found a case for this thing yet? Target and Best Buy had nothing on the shelf and the website makes it seem like the products don't exist. Amazon says the hori case won't be around for a couple months. What do?

I went ahead and opened mine up. I wanted to get it all set up and charged before Monday so I can play Zelda.

I already love it. I'd like to buy Fast RMX, but I've gone kinda spend crazy and I want the dust to settle a little...

But I really want to play it tho. >_>

I wish the main menu and the eshop had music. Looking forward to some new themes, too.
Yeah, I can't wait to hear their new eShop theme. Can still hear the Wii one to this day lmao

kami_sama

No it does not
Has anyone found a case for this thing yet? Target and Best Buy had nothing on the shelf and the website makes it seem like the products don't exist. Amazon says the hori case won't be around for a couple months. What do?

The thing is that there is a led on the pcb!
Why wouldn't they use it for something?

The never ending cycle. Play a couple of hours in dock mode, then go into portable mode knowing it's already charged. Play a couple of hours more then put it in dock mode and it will charge while you play. So you're always charged is what I'm trying to get at ;).

hwy_61

Banned
I read a post ITT that someone had their JP eShop set to English...how do you do that? Everything is in Japanese I can't read SHIT

javac

Although I find the Grip and Joy Cons themselves to be comfortable, I find the bottom corners really dig into my hands when playing in handheld mode.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Why, Nintendo, why!?

Why did you have to go and use the A-button for confirmation and B for cancel – it's the opposite position from both Xbox One and PS4 and so very annoying.

MrMephistoX

Anyone else finding it pretty awesome to play docked with just the Joycons untetethered? I always wanted to do this on the Wii but the required Waggle in a lot of games made it less fun. so it's nice to be able to play a normal game with my hands separated and no wires. I like playing portable mode like this with the tablet propped up on my iPad in my lap as well.

hwy_61

Banned
Anyone else finding it pretty awesome to play docked with just the Joycons untetethered? I always wanted to do this on the Wii but the required Waggle in a lot of games made it less fun. so it's nice to be able to play a normal game with my hands separated and no wires. I like playing portable mode like this with the tablet propped up on my iPad in my lap as well.

Yeah I've been doing this. Had to turn off motion control in Zelda though. Shit was annoying.

ecosse_011172

Why, Nintendo, why!?

Why did you have to go and use the A-button for confirmation and B for cancel – it's the opposite position from both Xbox One and PS4 and so very annoying.

It's what Nintendo have been doing for decades, it's the other 2 who did it the "wrong" way round.

/Old bugger

BooJoh

Why, Nintendo, why!?

It's been the Nintendo standard since NES, and even Sony originally used the layout for PSX in Japan (i don't know if they've since switched them for Japanese PS systems.)

I don't know who was first to use the opposite positions, I'm pretty sure Sega Master System used them though. Genesis 6-button pads technically had ABXY in the "Xbox" position. Then they cemented the layout/colors with DC (which was then imitated by Xbox.)

As someone who's primarily played Nintendo all his life, I'm personally glad Nintendo hasn't made the swap.

Any way to attach a wrist strap to the switch on handheld mode ?
The only place I see that you could potentially attach a wrist strap is to the vent holes, but I don't think I'd be comfortable putting something so close to the fins inside.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
It's what Nintendo have been doing for decades, it's the other 2 who did it the "wrong" way round.

/Old bugger

You must be new to Nintendo products.

It's been the Nintendo standard since NES, and even Sony originally used the layout for PSX in Japan (i don't know if they've since switched them for Japanese PS systems.)

I don't know who was first to use the opposite positions, I'm pretty sure Sega Master System used them though. Genesis 6-button pads technically had ABXY in the "Xbox" position. Then they cemented the layout/colors with DC (which was then imitated by Xbox.)

As someone who's primarily played Nintendo all his life, I'm personally glad Nintendo hasn't made the swap.

Me and my brothers grew up with the NES, SNES, bought a N64 on the release day, same for Wii. Owned a Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, NDS. Skipped both the Wii U and 3DS though. Point is, I'm very familiar with the systems.

Anyhow. I don't think it'd be bad for them to consider adopting use that reflects what's currently a bit of a standard with this type of button layout, at least concerning the two other major consoles. To me it's just a case of the controls being a bit more intuitive for people who've played games in general. I guess if you've only played Nintendo stuff it could be annoying, though.

BooJoh

Me and my brothers grew up with the NES, SNES, bought a N64 on the release day, same for Wii. Owned a Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, NDS. Skipped both the Wii U and 3DS though. Point is, I'm very familiar with the systems.

Anyhow. I don't think it'd be bad for them to consider adopting use that reflects what's currently a bit of a standard with this type of button layout, at least concerning the two other major consoles. To me it's just a case of the controls being a bit more intuitive for people who've played games in general. I guess if you've only played Nintendo stuff it could be annoying, though.

I'm sure I'd eventually get used to it. I don't have too much trouble with PS3/PS4 but for some reason PC games drive me crazy with it.

Then again I'm currently playing a Nintendo game where X is jump, so I guess I can adapt to most controls with time.

Gaming side is so negative ATM. I understand that there are a lot of legit issues like the screen dock thing and the left joycon (which personally affects me), but how can anyone let these things overrule the enjoyment of using this thing?

The feel, the snappiness, the noises of the joy cons clacking and sliding, the clicks and pops of the UI... it's just pleasurable to use.

Zelda is awesome, Snipperclips is awesome, Shovel Knight is awesome. The experience of playing on the TV, deciding you want to play in bed and just slipping the console out and playing immediately is awesome.

Hah you have the same game list as me! And I luckily only have the dock issue scratching mine, marked up my screen proctector pretty good...

Joy con seems okay at the moment.

I love the thing still so far, been mostly handheld since the dock wrecked the screen and I don't want any other issues.

Even played snipper clips with my 4yo son and he kept calling it the ice cream game lol. I honestly have had a blast with it so far. I really hope all this negativity is centralized to Gaf and hope this thing has legs. This design and idea are sound and this will need a few revisions (all around hardware/os) and the normal Nintendo support with some additional third party/outside developers and this is the Vita I always wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom