• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this has been brought up in the thread, but does anybody else have a small gap at the top by the volume buttons where the back cover meets the main body? I'll try to take a picture of it in the morning, but it's definitely not flush, as i can make it flush if i push on the area.

I've got the exact same gap there. Not sure how common it is.

Yeah, I think it's somewhat common, judging from some pictures. Here's what I'm talking about though:

68fhGf9.jpg

Just seems like it's bulging a bit there, which is kind of annoying.

majik13

Reposting for new page

So there are no cheap charging solutions for Switch at GS or BB? I left my charging cable like an hour away.

This is probably already known but might as well mention it!

If you plug the USB adapter from your Sony Pulse Elite Headphones into a powered USB socket (I tried the ones on the side of the Switch Dock but it didnt work) and then run the included audio wire (that comes with the headsets) from the Switch headphone socket to the USB adapter, it'll output it wirelessly to the headset itself once the headset is turned on.

No idea if this will work with the Gold and Platinums as I dont have them and I dont know if the USB adapter has the 3.5mm audio jack on it.

Oh dang.

I don't believe the gold dongle has a 3.5mm jack on it.

Pretty sure it does, thats how I get chat to work using them with psvr

I had to go double-check. The dongle definitely doesn't have one, like the pulse.

The 3.5mm would go from the headset to the controller

EDIT:

I'm really hoping bluetooth headsets are supported soon. If I am on my couch and want to use my headphones, I don't have a good solution for that. The Pulse workaround seems okay.

Clockwork

It's a sad day. I'm returning my Switch. This is the first console I've ever given up on right at the start, but I can't deal. The joycons just won't stay connected. I've tried moving the system all over the place, disconnected my router, turned off my phone....it simply starts failing after 4 1/2 feet. By the time I get to my seating position it's unplayable.

I know people are saying to get a pro controller, but after all the money I just gave Nintendo, I shouldn't have to purchase additional hardware just to use it. Not to mention, I'd need two of them to enjoy multiplayer with my wife. I'm sorry, but no. Then there's the scratch inducing dock, and the fact that my saves are held hostage. It's just too much. I've bought every Nintendo system in history, and loved my Wii U, but Nintendo needs to take the L and make some changes before I invest again. If they address all of these issues I'll buy it again to finish Zelda, which was awesome for the brief time I had with it.

Do they let you return your opened software? I mean I can see an exception since you are also returning the console you are playing it on, but I wasn't sure...

NoNeed4Mercy

Neo Member
is there share play on switch? i mean if i play bomberman with a friend who does not have a copy, can you still connect in local network play , like with the nintendo ds. so 1 copy only needed for network play

Rodin

A couple of questions:

1) Can i use the WiiU/3DS eShop cards on the Switch eShop?

2) If i start using the Parental Control app now, will it show how much i played Zelda until now or only since when i installed and linked the app?

Durden77

So what is the deal with Ckub Nintendo now? I'm so confused. I thought it wasn't a thing anymore, but now I hear it's a thing again. I don't think I ever soent my coins before they "ended" it.

Vuze

I'm curious, how did "HD Rumble" turn out? Is it comparable to the Apple Watch's taptic feedback? It's my only point of reference in regards to this technology, so it would be nice if an AW user could give their perspective but I'll take general impressions too.

At the GameStop midnight, I had a couple giant bags - felt awesome!

I came away with:

Switch Neon console
Gray Switch Console (16 year old step son)
Gray Joycons set (mine to have gray)
Zelda BOTW (step son)
Zelda BOTW Special Edition
1-2 Switch
$70 in eshop cards (Zelda season pass, FAST, Snipperclips)
Pro Controller
Joycon Charging Grip
AC Adaper
$7.99 screen protectors x 3 (I always mess up)
All 5 BOTW Amiibo + Wolf Link
Official Hard pouch carry case

From Best Buy arrived on 3/3

Neon Joycons (son I can have double red or blue)

From Amazon:

Anker Powercore + 20100 USB C & USB C cable, along with Anker charge plug & Marley headphones from Switch first reveal.

Tested this with Zelda at Starbucks:

The battery pack kept Switch fully charged, 0 depletion of the Switch. 75 % brightness and headphones.

My issues not present on step son system:

My card case on top is loose, doesn't close well.
Kickstand not as tight when closed.

ultrazilla

Thanks to all who've posted how to make a Japanese eShop account. I currently have Puyo Puyo Tetris and Dragon Quest Heroes 1-2 demos downloading. :)

This seems too good to be true. I hope Nintendo doesn't back track on this and removes the ability. Why? Cause Nintendo.

EDIT: Wow. If Dragon Quest Heroes 1 and 2 is what we can expect in terms of graphical performance, then we've been hoodwinked by Nintendo and Nvidia. I know it's a demo but it's simply terrible looking.
This is something the Wii U could handle.
Horrible textures. Bland open world. Yuck. Now, I have *heard* that this was simply a port of a PS3/Xbox 360 game so my comments may be a bit unfair.
If it's a straight port without using any of the supposed additional horsepower the Switch has over the Wii U, I stand corrected.

Tetris is fun and seems like it'll be a fun party/multiplayer game.

Coda

Thanks to all who've posted how to make a Japanese eShop account. I currently have Puyo Puyo Tetris and Dragon Quest Heroes 1-2 demos downloading. :)

This seems too good to be true. I hope Nintendo doesn't back track on this and removes the ability. Why? Cause Nintendo.

They won't, every company has gone region free so it would be console suicide if they do that.

A couple of questions:

1) Can i use the WiiU/3DS eShop cards on the Switch eShop?

2) If i start using the Parental Control app now, will it show how much i played Zelda until now or only since when i installed and linked the app?

I'm pretty sure it only starts tracking once the app is installed. So everything prior to that is lost.

Hawk269

Help...

This morning, I noticed that my Switch, while sitting in the dock and after putting into Sleep mode is turning itself on and off, It turns on, whte a small symbol in the upper left corner of the screen. Cant tell what the symbol is, but it is turning on and off every 5 seconds. This was not happening yesterday and on Friday. Anyone know why it Is dong this?

edit: I looked more closely and it is illuminating the screen and showing the icon that it is fully charged. But after having it off yesterday, it was not doing this and it was fully charge. The issue I may be over analyzing is that it is illuminating the back light to show that icon every 5 seconds while it is in the dock and not sure if it would add wear and tear to the screen. There is something wrong right? I mean it was put into sleep mode and it should not be turning itself on and off every 5 seconds to show the fully charge icon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ColdPizza

Banned
Do they let you return your opened software? I mean I can see an exception since you are also returning the console you are playing it on, but I wasn't sure...
I guess it depends where he bought it. I returned a brand new sealed Xbox one to Target and they still had to open it.

TheMink

Any recommendations for USB chargers, and cases? I would ideally like a case that can be a sturdier stand. But I just need a case and want a good one.

I have a 15 foot USBC cable but does anyone know a good outlet plug that will charge the Switch while playing? Is Anker a good brand?

elmalloc

Hi,

I just plugged in my extra joycons from amazon, and noticed the left side of my Switch screen is flickering. It's noticeable on the home page and in Zelda.

A quick google shows others have had the same problem. I've been playing for 2 hours before this, probably, everything was fine. Battery life is 80%. I've tried turning it off (hold power), restarting it, problem still exists.

A search of this thread shows nobody else has experienced this.

Yikes, if I can't find a fix I'm just going to return them. I have 3 switchs for various family members, I like Zelda but this flicker is no good.

Kuraudo

Banned
I'm so weak. Went from waiting until later this year to buy a Switch to waiting until the end of this month to ordering one today. Should arrive on my birthday. So excited.

help, my Switch surround sound isn't working. I have the Switch connected to my TV HDMI input and when I select surround sound and do the test I only got PCM 2.0 sound.

My TV settings are correct as my PS4 and PC output 5.1 DTS sound properly to my Sony receiver via optical out. My TV supports optical out 5.1(Sony X800D 43).

This sucks.

Clockwork

help, my Switch surround sound isn't working. I have the Switch connected to my TV HDMI input and when I select surround sound and do the test I only got PCM 2.0 sound.

My TV settings are correct as my PS4 and PC output 5.1 DTS sound properly to my Sony receiver via optical out. My TV supports optical out 5.1(Sony X800D 43).

This sucks.

Switch only outputs surround via PCM and not compressed formats like Dolby Digital or DTS. Via optical you are going to be limited to two channel PCM.

Sorry dude.

ITSMILNER

Has anyone played the full retail release of Dragon Quest Heroes 1&2? I've heard lots of negative comments regarding how the demo runs/what it looks like but but wondered if it was based on an older build?

elmalloc

Hi,

I just plugged in my extra joycons from amazon, and noticed the left side of my Switch screen is flickering. It's noticeable on the home page and in Zelda.

A quick google shows others have had the same problem. I've been playing for 2 hours before this, probably, everything was fine. Battery life is 80%. I've tried turning it off (hold power), restarting it, problem still exists.

A search of this thread shows nobody else has experienced this.

Yikes, if I can't find a fix I'm just going to return them. I have 3 switchs for various family members, I like Zelda but this flicker is no good.

So I charged it for 5 minutes and turned it back on, this time it seems like the flicker is gone. I hope they can firmware fix that as just rebooting it a few times, hard resets did nothing. Perhaps the auto adjust brightness (if it has one of those) is malfunctioning, as it was only the left side of the screen. Nintendo seems to be biased against left everything, haha.

Steveo

Banned
The eshop cards are universal right?

So if I go to a Walgreens in a few minutes and buy a eshop card that has like a Wii U on it, it'll work for the Switch?

Asking because I want to buy Fast and SnipperClips.

Cathcart

Does anyone know how to change the Facebook posting options? I originally selected that friends could see posts from the Switch but I wanted to select only me. I've tried U linking the account and linking again but it skips that question when I do.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Does anyone know how to change the Facebook posting options? I originally selected that friends could see posts from the Switch but I wanted to select only me. I've tried U linking the account and linking again but it skips that question when I do.
Maybe if you revoke the permission from your Facebook account as well after you unlink from the Switch side?

linkboy

I had to go double-check. The dongle definitely doesn't have one, like the pulse.

The 3.5mm would go from the headset to the controller

EDIT:

I'm really hoping bluetooth headsets are supported soon. If I am on my couch and want to use my headphones, I don't have a good solution for that. The Pulse workaround seems okay.

I picked this up and I'm going to give it a shot

I should be getting it tomorrow and I'll post if it works with my Switch

Firebrand

Just checking: can I keep playing as long as the USB cable is connected to a power outlet? If the battery drains faster than it recharges I mean, it won't automatically turn off due to the battery status?

I got annoyed at my Samsung tablet earlier because it had enough charge to turn on, but even with power cable in it would immediately turn off due to low battery. :p

Jonboy

I was one of those who got screwed by Amazon/Nintendo/UPS and mine still hasn't arrived.

Went to Target this morning and snagged a Neon Switch! I'll sell the gray once it arrives (who knows when).

Weird issue here though...it only came with 1 joycon grip. Anyone else had that happen? I doubt the Switch had been tampered with because...why just take a joycon grip? I'll never use it, but just based on the principle of the matter, I feel like I should get another grip. May call Nintendo and see what they can do. Also picked up the Mario case that was supposed to include a micro fiber cloth. Guess what? No micro fiber cloth, lol.

linkboy

I have a 15 foot USBC cable but does anyone know a good outlet plug that will charge the Switch while playing? Is Anker a good brand?

I highly recommend this one

I have a Nexus 6p and bought this charger to use with it. It charges my Switch just fine and since it has two ports, it could be used to charge a Pro Controller with a USB C to C cable.

Sure it costs a bit more, but cheap USB-C cables can ruin electronics.

LordKano

Question : what did you choose for a screen protection ? My little brothers will play it as much as me and a screen protection is absolutely mandatory. Even though, this time, the touchscreen won't be used a lot.

I always used some cheap plastic screen protections since 3DS screen was crap anyway and I rarely looked at the Wii U gamepad. This time is different, I will play most of the time in portable mode and want to keep the best quality.

I've been thinking of a glass protector, but I've never applied one and I'm a bit scary to fuck it up, losing 10€ in the process. Is it particularly hard to apply ? How are the results compared to a normal plastic screen protector ?

I'm so weak. Went from waiting until later this year to buy a Switch to waiting until the end of this month to ordering one today. Should arrive on my birthday. So excited.

I think im going to make the plunge also, my wife literally just said "just get one".

Just need to wait for them to come back in stock somewhere now, hopefully won't take too long. Exciting!

Sorry if this has been asked, but anyone experiencing some slight delay every now and then with the joycons when playing in docked mode? I imagine it has to do with distance from the tablet/dock. I'll experience it more if I'm sitting more than about 7-8 feet away from the dock.

Edit: Ah, see it's an issue with the left joycon that others are experiencing. Shit. Though I think distance has to do with it.

weekev

Banned
Just checking: can I keep playing as long as the USB cable is connected to a power outlet? If the battery drains faster than it recharges I mean, it won't automatically turn off due to the battery status?

I got annoyed at my Samsung tablet earlier because it had enough charge to turn on, but even with power cable in it would immediately turn off due to low battery. :p
It charges faster than it runs through the battery so you shall be fine.

linkboy

Question : what did you choose for a screen protection ? My little brothers will play it as much as me and a screen protection is absolutely mandatory. Even though, this time, the touchscreen won't be used a lot.

I always used some cheap plastic screen protections since 3DS screen was crap anyway and I rarely looked at the Wii U gamepad. This time is different, I will play most of the time in portable mode and want to keep the best quality.

I've been thinking of a glass protector, but I've never applied one and I'm a bit scary to fuck it up, losing 10€ in the process. Is it particularly hard to apply ? How are the results compared to a normal plastic screen protector ?

Since I started using glass protectors on my phone(s), I won't use anything else. They're so much better then the plastic ones. They're also easier to install.

I just installed one on my Vita a few weeks ago, was a breeze. If you're worried, I'm sure you could take it to a cell phone repair store and have them install it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom