• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: March 3rd 2017 worldwide, MSRP $300

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah $300 is a bit too much for my blood as a non-nintendo fan with only a few franchises I am into from them. I love their colorful and jolly games but damn.

I don't think its over priced per-say for the technology were supposedly getting, but like others said, the competition is too similarly priced for having weaker hardware under the hood. Now if they said there is a massive new F-Zero coming along with it... maybe.

Nintendo WILL have to drop the price by the holidays or the switch will tank. Hard. There is no other option for them at this point.

It will not sell any better than the Wii U at $299. Nobody will pay for it and quite frankly, they shouldn't. Not when MUCH more powerful systems with a whole hell of a lot more games are being sold for cheaper.

You're the one who seems to be in the know on the price, don't try and turn this around on me. There's no point in arguing over what the future sales are going to be because I don't have a crystal ball, I can just say they have one in me and I'm pretty happy with the price.

Dude the price is too high and the vast majority of the thread believes that. $299 plus paid online, tax, and a weak line up. Only Nintendo die-hards would spin this as positive so far. I'll get Switch eventually but their pricing strategy at launch is insanity and I bet this is another Wii U based off what has been shown so far.

Dranakin

$300? Very sad that this is will be the last hardware release of Nintendo.

There's no way you can compare the launch prices of the PS4 and Xbox One to the Switch. Of the former consoles, you knew you were making an investment in a platform that would be supported for years. You don't know if the $300 you spend on the Switch will get you to 2019.

Duxxy3

It's higher than expected. I wasn't expecting paid multiplayer either. I'm pretty sure that I'm getting the system, but a spec sheet and game pack in would make me feel better.

Lothars

You're the one who seems to be in the know on the price, don't try and turn this around on me. There's no point in arguing over what the future sales are going to be because I don't have a crystal ball, I can just say they have one in me and I'm pretty happy with the price.
I have no crystal ball but the thing I do have is presidence and Nintendo's previous console and prices. I hope the switch does well but at this price it gives me very little hope.

n0razi

Of course, because it's Nvidia's own product.

Take out the SoC and the rest of the Switch specs are worse than a $50 china tablet (720p LCD, 2gb ram, 2 hour battery... the SoC itself isn't more than $100 which is entering desktop core cpu pricing territory

DesertFox

Yeah no. I've got money set aside for a console this year and that conference solidified the fact that it will not go towards a Switch. I honestly expected $250.

That's a shame. Was looking forward to Zelda BotW, but $300 cost of entry for 1 game isn't worth it for me.

"sry bro" but I'm not in that bubble either. I skipped Wii U.

Would have preferred 249 but 299 doesn't kill it for me.

I UNDERSTAND THAT MAY BE TOO MUCH FOR PEOPLE ON A BUDGET, but the DOA posts sound like hyperbole.

Fixed that for you.

299 with most likely weaker hardware than the competition and less games, no proper pro controller, paid online (first time so most likely will have growing pains), I went from day one buy to will wait for a refresh and price drop. I am sure a lot of people are thinking the same. I have a ps4 pro, xbox one s and pc. Was hoping to add a nintendo console to the mix but at that price is too much for a supplemental console. I am sure there will be plenty of day 1 fans but it will certainly hurt overall sales. I'm willing to bet they are planning to release a limited amount of consoles anyway so they don't care about the price. By the time they are ready to ramp up production they will reduce the price. This is a calculated risk.

Dude the price is too high and the vast majority of the thread believes that. $299 plus paid online, tax, and a weak line up. Only Nintendo die-hards would spin this as positive so far. I'll get Switch eventually but their pricing strategy at launch is insanity and I bet this is another Wii U based off what has been shown so far.

It's a shame the vast majority in this thread think so, but that's their prerogative. As time has told, however, this forum does not speak for the world as a whole. Everyone on this forum got themselves hyped hyped hyped up on a price that, again, had zero bearing in reality, in my opinion. I kept seeing that number repeated as if it was a god given fact. Frankly, I looked at what they were offering and did not see that product going for any less than $350, so I am happy with the price. I'm not a Nintendo die-hard, I don't get why it matters, I really want to believe this forum is beyond system wars garbage.

I have no crystal ball but the thing I do have is presidence and Nintendo's previous console and prices. I hope the switch does well but at this price it gives me very little hope.

I absolutely understand and respect that point of view, I just don't get the hyperbole going on in this thread and, again, I think people had an imaginary price way to close to their hearts.

cluderi

Here in the U.K. £199 would be a fantastic price but it's easily going to be £249 or even £299.

For me it all depends on the exclusives but £249 might be my limit.

Shame really as I think £199 would have seen this as a major success in the U.K.

It's a shame the vast majority in this thread think so, but that's their prerogative. As time has told, however, this forum does not speak for the world as a whole. Everyone on this forum got themselves hyped hyped hyped up on a price that, again, had zero bearing in reality, in my opinion. I kept seeing that number repeated as if it was a god given fact. Frankly, I looked at what they were offering and did not see that product going for any less than $350, so I am happy with the price. I'm not a Nintendo die-hard, I don't get why it matters, I really want to believe this forum is beyond system wars garbage.

Said it way better than I could.

Yopis

Yeah this forum gets things wrong all the time. Not buying personally they lost me after N64. I think this will sell though.

well we dont know what premium online means...... reg online may be free still.

So at $300 is there no pack in game like mario cart or something???

How is 300 too high? Lmao.

Isn't that lower than what ps4 sold for at launch?

The hardware in ps4 was far better at launch for it's price, plus sony has all the big third party games on board....it's not the same thing.

Switch will be competing with PS4 at 299 NOW and much lower this holiday.....

lol at $50 making the difference between "must-buy" and "DOA" for most people

Statements like this are frankly dumb.

They ignore competition in the market, the track record of Nintendo having ample third-party support for the life of the console, etc.

For me, I would rather save the fifty bucks and wait. Sorry, it's just not worth that value to me. I like to feel like I get value for my dollar.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Take out the SoC and the rest of the Switch specs are worse than a $50 china tablet (720p LCD, 2gb ram, 2 hour battery... the SoC itself isn't more than $100 which is entering desktop core cpu pricing territory
This is known for sure? I bought a phone w/ 4GB RAM and Snapdragon 821 for $299 in November. This is insane.

n0razi

How is 300 too high? Lmao.

Isn't that lower than what ps4 sold for at launch?

PS4 had amazing specs for the time (8gb DDR5 is still high end) and a built in bluray player

Switch has my smartphone's cpu and a 720p screen

Not hard to understand...

Is $50 really enough to sway the average person one way or another? Idk the price doesn't seem too bad.
The "DOA" posts are cringey

$250 was already high for a lot of people including me for something with such mediocre hardware. I bought my PS4 Pro for $399 but I wouldnt pay $450 for it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom