• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Wait, what kind of game is this? More character action game like Ninja Gaiden or slower paced like Dark Souls?

The beauty of NIOH is that it can be whatever pace you want. Slow methodical like souls, or balls to the wall like Ninja Gaiden and other traditional character action games.

It gives you plenty of options, upgrades and choice to craft your own preferred playstyle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS0vGOCTwyg

(PS i will never stop posting this link, its a goal all of us should strive toward)

Fandangox

Wait, what kind of game is this? More character action game like Ninja Gaiden or slower paced like Dark Souls?

Depends on your playstyle and how good one is at the game and having an understanding of the game's mechanics.

There's three difference stances for each weapon High, Middle, and Low (kind of like Bloodborne's trick weapons) With HIgh being slow and powerful, Low being weak but fast, and the middle being in-between.

I approached most of the last demo like In Darksouls, going through the level with High stance, playing at a slower pace. However the bosses forced me more aggresive to keep the damage up and have to beat one with a low stance and the other with a middle one.

In this video that has been posted a few times in some Nioh threads you can see how fast the game can be, with this player playing mostly in low stance and taking advantages of all the game mechanics to play in a much more fast-paced manner.

Zaventem

Does Jim drop 10/10's often? This is the first one I've seen from him so this must be something special

His fourth according to metacritic actually. Jim isn't as much as a hard ass with giving 10s like other reviewers but he does use the full scale more than other reviewers so i suppose it blaances out.

Inuhanyou

Well, now.

Jim tends to be one of the few reviewers out there who give Koei's games (especially Musou stuff) a fair shake. But even this is pretty surprising!
I know, its great.

He even gives stuff like Toukiden Kiwami a fair score, and while its one of my favorite games of the last few years, it was not even given a glance at most review outlets to even review to begin with

Inuhanyou

Anyone can summarize how the plot/story/Characterization is shaping up to be? How does it stack up to say Witcher 3?

Your setting yourself up to disappointment there especially comparing it to what some people regard as the best written WRPG in a while.

Expect a lot of over the top flourishes, out there happenings and generally anime as feck Japanese writing crossed with down to earth Japanese historical elements.

If thats not your thing, or you particularly hate that, your not gonna enjoy the story. Its mostly there to service the gameplay anyway.

KaoteK

Jim loves it, 10/10.

Nioh got attention for its similarities to other titles, but it deserves to be remembered as its own special game, one that sees and raises the efforts presented by its inspirations. With fast and uncompromising combat, an engrossing economy of loot, and a mesmerizing artistic style, action-RPGs have rarely been this refined or this captivating.

http://www.thejimquisition.com/nioh-review/

Zaventem

The best thing about jim's review is he tried the demo and said he didn't really get it on twitter and to come around and give it a 10/10

His fourth according to metacritic actually. Jim isn't as much as a hard ass with giving 10s like other reviewers but he does use the full scale more than other reviewers so i suppose it blaances out.

I'm a huge fan of all of his other 10's so it's making me feel even better about this game

KaoteK

I was gonna wait on this one but these reviews (especially Jim's) have changed my mind on that. I'm just about done with RE7 so the timing is perfect.

What a killer begining of the year. My wallet is crying.

Haunted

Fucking spoilers from major industry outlets right in the fucking title of their fucking Youtube videos I'm seeing because of that fucking automated algorithm for related videos.

bullshit

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Fucking spoilers from major industry outlets right in the fucking title of their fucking Youtube videos I'm seeing because of that fucking automated algorithm for related videos.

bullshit
Damn. Staying off Youtube for a while.

bullshit

This is why I do not visit YouTube as much as I would like to any more and even when I do keep my watch history deleted. I also unsubscribe from any channel that puts game spoilers in their thumbnails no matter how much I might like their content. This spoiler shit is getting ridiculous. It's like they don't think people actually want to experience these games for themselves.

TreIII

I know, its great.

He even gives stuff like Toukiden Kiwami a fair score, and while its one of my favorite games of the last few years, it was not even given a glance at most review outlets to even review to begin with

Really? I didn't pay attention to the Western release after a while, but that is certainly odd.

Either way, I'm definitely hoping this will become a permanent fixture in Team Ninja's catalog. Even though...
you can't really say there's any real story hooks for a sequel, based on what's been leaked. It's enough to make you wonder how and where they will go from here.

N° 2048

cartman-frozen.jpg

The one thing that bothered me about that GI video explaining the systems is the control scheme that they used.

Why in the world would anyone use anything other than the default Square-light, Triangle-heavy control scheme? Shoulder buttons are fine in the slower Souls games, but I would go crazy having to use that in Nioh.

Inuhanyou

Either way, I'm definitely hoping this will become a permanent fixture in Team Ninja's catalog. Even though...
you can't really say there's any real story hooks for a sequel, based on what's been leaked. It's enough to make you wonder how and where they will go from here.

Focus on other samurai throughout history if they have to, go a fictional route if they must, i say its worth holding onto this property no matter what

The one thing that bothered me about that GI video explaining the systems is the control scheme that they used.

Why in the world would anyone use anything other than the default Square-light, Triangle-heavy control scheme? Shoulder buttons are fine in the slower Souls games, but I would go crazy having to use that in Nioh.

They try and play it like a souls game. It aint a souls game.

The square and triangle attack drive it home that its got Ninja gaiden DNA in it, the same control scheme they are using here is generally what the NG games use for dodging, blocking, heavy attack light attack ect

Zaventem

That's the exact same control scheme i'm using so they're no alone. Besides the weapon placement icons look much better in terms of #aesthetics

Carbonox

I wanted to wait for the reviews to see if it nudges me over the edge and it's safe to say they have. I'm preordering this ASAP.

I get the impression this is Onimusha, Dark Souls, Ninja Gaiden and Diablo rolled in to one cohesive and wonderful product.

How can I say no? How?

napata

The beauty of NIOH is that it can be whatever pace you want. Slow methodical like souls, or balls to the wall like Ninja Gaiden and other traditional character action games.

It gives you plenty of options, upgrades and choice to craft your own preferred playstyle.

(PS i will never stop posting this link, its a goal all of us should strive toward)

That doesn't look anything like Ninja Gaiden though. It's way slower and focuses more on 1 on 1 combat. The guy's in that video still being careful and methodical. There's no need for baiting attacks in Ninja Gaiden most of the time.

NG often has you fight 5+ enemies at the same time. That's just not possible in Nioh because your mobility is very limited compared to NG.

That doesn't look anything like Ninja Gaiden though. It's way slower and focuses more on 1 on 1 combat. The guy's in that video still being careful and methodical. There's no need for baiting attacks in Ninja Gaiden most of the time.

NG often has you fight 5+ enemies at the same time. That's just not possible in Nioh because your mobility is very limited compared to NG.

I agree, I cancelled my preorder after the demo as I was expecting a Ninja Gaiden game with some Souls elements, but this game is basically Souls with a samurai skin and some battle system additions. Gaiden fans should not expect to play that way in this game. It takes serious skills to do anything close to the fast-paced combos in NG. And combat with multiple enemies is not a strength of this game. It's really built for 1v1 combat. I felt like I was always fighting with the mechanics because I wanted a different experience out of it, didn't want the stance switching to be so cumbersome, didn't want to constantly deal with the stamina system. If you like Souls games you'll love this game, but if you like NG you might be disappointed as I was.

Inuhanyou

For clarification, nobody is saying this game is literally like Ninja gaiden in every way, but it carries over plenty of elements from Team Ninja's previous series to be notable.

You can fight many enemies at a time in NIOH if you want, but you have to be good to take them out. Also, you DO have to be methodical in blocking and dodging and planning your attacks in Ninja Gaiden as well, but NG like this game is about exploiting your opponents guard.

In NG all i do when enemies shrink back is expose their guard so i can go in with an Izuna drop.

It feels like Nioh is as if Team ninja went in specifically in mind with building on the NG guard break tying it to a stamina mechanic.

Trying to say this game is a souls game is doing a disservice to it

Top Bottom