• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

Fbh

Great reviews.

Man, over the alphas, betas and demos I went from not being sold to it being in my top 3 most hyped games of the year. Can't wait to play it!!!

farisr

My decision will hinge on which mode that nasty black & white effect they chose to stick with looks "better" on. So bad and distracting. Really disappointed they didn't change it from the initial reveal.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
My decision will hinge on which mode that nasty black & white effect they chose to stick with looks "better" on. So bad and distracting. Really disappointed they didn't change it from the initial reveal.

You mean the yokai realm? what's wrong with it? looks stylish to me

Good deal. I was planning on picking this up anyway since the demos were the best things I played last year, but to see solid reviews is a good thing too. Can't wait to pick up my copy on Tuesday. Looks like Team Ninja is finally returning to form, and that makes me very excited.

kuroneco

Any of you nice reviewers who got the game early could tell us if the NA/EU retail ver. contains Asian Language options (for text) or not?

Thanks ahead!

I emailed KT asking this and their response was no...

It sucks consider they used Asian version of this game for first and second demo which must confused a lot of people.

eyesradar

I emailed KT asking this and their response was no...

It sucks consider they used Asian version of this game for first and second demo which must confused a lot of people.

yeah it's crazy confusing. Guess I'll just do digital from JPN PlayStation store then...

Thank you for your answer!

Man, the more I think about this game the more excited I get. We may very well look back on this as the start of one of the best series' of this generation...

Maybe I shouldn't get that far ahead of myself, haha.

Yeah I don't get it. It's like people don't understand what "very very rare" means.

Very rare is only for the pro. The normal Ps4 is almost all the time 720p while 60 fps, right?

I really don't get why we're only talking about the PS4 Pro when only the minority of ps4 gamers own a PS4 Pro.

farisr

You mean the yokai realm? what's wrong with it? looks stylish to me
I don't know what it's called, have only played the first alpha but have seen some recent videos, rather than look stylish it a "hey, let's look at something that looks like untextured geometery, add a wavy effect, and and let's put some black particles that almost seem pixelated, perhaps meant to represent ink but really just looks like a mess" filter/effect. Just doesn't look good at all to me, and have been of that opinion since the reveal trailer. I've seen a few other people agree with me on that as well, but you know, opinions and all that. Wish I could just write it off as simply stylish, but it's just distracting and make the game look worse.

Tarkus

Very rare is only for the pro. The normal Ps4 is almost all the time 720p while 60 fps, right?

I really don't get why we're only talking about the PS4 Pro when only the minority of ps4 gamers own a PS4 Pro.
Because that's the best example of the game, and therefore used as a reference point.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Yeah the PS4 is mostly 720p but can go up to 900p in slower scenes. But again, that should literally not even matter itself considering its for the sake of solid 60fps. We already know the blow to FPS full res takes based on variable movie mode.

eyesradar

I don't know what it's called, have only played the first alpha but have seen some recent videos, rather than look stylish it looks nasty to me, and I've seen other people agree with me on that on. But, opinions and all that.

To me it's a "hey, let's look at untextured geometery, add a wavy effect, and and let's put some black particles that almost seem pixelated, perhaps meant to represent ink but really just looks like a mess" filter/effect.

you perform a ki pulse and the yokai realm would be gone. It's part of the games mechanism I think. It hinders the ki regen. So if you don't "purge" it with the pulse it'll eventually be everywhere during the fight.

UrbanRats

But its true. the pace is the combat is distinctly ninja gaiden, the depth of the mechanics are directly from NG. That is without going into the actual ninja skill tree where you can throw shurikens and other projectiles just like NG

Distinctly NG how? the pace of encounters is very different.
Ninja Gaiden doesn't even rely on dividi et impera tactics like this does (since encounters are activated by entering a room).
And the stamina basically ensures that if you get ganged, you'll likely die, Ki Pulse or no Ki Pulse (Ki Pulse doesn't negate stamina completely).
Ninja Gaiden is based around constantly roll jumping around the space and moving, sometimes through the use of the UT's iframes, NioH doesn't allow that, and instead asks you to lock on and funnel enemies, like Souls/Bloodborne games.

Also "depth of the mechanics" is such a generic term that you could lop it at NG, like you could at DMC, Bayonetta or whatever else.

Projectile weapons are also in SoulsBorne games, and AFAIK aren't endless like in NG (well depends on the projectile weapon, but regular shurikens are unlimited).

Cess007

Reading Jim Sterling tweeter it seems he will post his review today and the score will be very high. I remember him hating the Beta, the changes should have been substantial for that turnaround

gow3isben

The best year for PS4 so far easily

RE7
Yakuza
GR2
Nioh

Pretty nice PS2 like time frame. And like the PS2, it's Japanese again. Cool, preferring this over the Uncharted's and Watch Dogs myself.

Nier and Persona 5 on the way and Last Guardian and FF15 just a few months back.

The rebirth of the Japanese gaming industry.

Combine both! It has more stamina management than Dark Souls even, but it adds more fluid and actiony play style of the Gaiden series.

That sounds pretty great. This game hasn't been on my radar, but these reviews are making me pay attention. I'll have to check it out after I read some GAF impressions. Good stuff.

Top Bottom