• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

If only this game wasnt so complicated for regular reviewers. It would scored well if they understood pulsing.

This is where I put a /s or a Kappa or something.

BigEmil

Hmmm. That's a turn off for me. How much of the game involves long run back to bosses when you die?
Loading times are super short so alleviates death more also there are Shrines nearly everywhere I think they overdid it (based on what I played on all 3 alpha and beta's) so getting to bosses should be quick and you run pretty fast too

silva1991

Dammit! I forgot I have RE7 to play too!!!!! Woe is me! (at least this one I'm waiting for because I can't play something so scary in VR by myself, gotta wait until friends come over)

hmmm...I think Nier will hit 90+ on meta, I see Nioh settling in at high 80's, same as Horizon.

That's some high expectation. First Nier is at 67 meta. You think Platinumcombat alone will turn the sequel to 90+meta?

like I said earlier in this thread, Nier Automata's scores will be interesting.

Unknown?

Yea, I wouldn't say they dominate this gen like they did with the PS2 line up wise, only because third party is not exclusive as it used to be anymore, but yea they have so much better exclusive line up than the competition it's not even comparable.
Maybe not as much but their competition is also weaker than it was during the PS2 era. Nintendo is nonexistent atm but they do seem to have a good lineup for this year so we'll see. Xbox has been pretty bad the last few years with huge gaps and only a few during the holidays. Not that the PS4 has been stellar till now but starting last year they really started up their engines and are now getting warmed up!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Hmmm. That's a turn off for me. How much of the game involves long run back to bosses when you die?

It can be more challenging depending on your playstyle. But i find that there is more versatility in NIOH gameplay than souls in moment to moment situations leading it to be easier to get into depending on how you like to play games

A reviewer said it's easier than Dark Souls. Wat? Is it the same as the Beta/etc? Because Dark Souls is easy compared to Nioh for me...

My experience is that equipment matters a lot more than DS and it's easy-ish to power equipment off of revenants. Probably doing an SL1 build in Nioh would be pretty hard as a result, although I know Frosty has been doing everything in Nioh at lvl1 without too much difficulty. So, who knows?

mollipen

In this day and age impossible. I doubt Critics will give it a nod over anything else that is more cinematic and more a experience over a game.

On personal critic lists, it certain can win. The original Dark Souls was my top pick for that year, and Dark Souls III was only beat out by Overwatch last year. There's plenty of other people in the industry that I've met that also love and appreciate these kinds of games.

If you're talking media outlet-encompassing lists, then yes, it's probably hard.

Curufinwe

It can be more challenging depending on your playstyle. But i find that there is more versatility in NIOH gameplay than souls in moment to moment situations leading it to be easier to get into depending on how you like to play games

That sounds good. I beat Ninja Gaiden Black and original DMC3 on Hard, so I should be alright.

Raven117

I only played the Alpha and found it balls hard. Didn't play the Betas (because I was already sold on what I played).

Is the main game easier or harder than the Alpha?

In this day and age impossible. I doubt Critics will give it a nod over anything else that is more cinematic and more a experience over a game.

What does this mean? Because Nioh is certainly an experience. Just like Souls games are. Boiling the games down to just the subset of gameplay systems loses a lot of the luster in the process.

This type of game isnt niche any more. DS2 is 90+ on metacritic because From Software are critical darlings. Team Ninja have credibility with action games... I dont think it was ever going to be one of those misunderstood games. Like Monster Hunter early on.

But will it sell is the question.

silva1991

Overtook the switch on UK amazon, only behind zelda now.

US

Geralt of Tokyo is out for blood

k5hFZY2.jpg

crimilde

Banned
Oh god that Polygon article.
Ahahah, it's happening again.

Hahahaha.

Polygon said:
This is almost certainly the most difficult game we've ever had to review in our decade-plus of writing about games.

Come on now...

Edit: If the final game's difficulty is anything like the demos, there's a lot of overstating going on in that article.

That's some high expectation. First Nier is at 67 meta. You think Platinumcombat alone will turn the sequel to 90+meta?

like I said earlier in this thread, Nier Automata's scores will be interesting.
Yeah, for some reason, it seems like it'll be another Bayonetta, and I really think they nailed the different camera angles so it's like Bayonetta, a side-scrolling platform, and an arcade shooter in one game. I think older gamers will really dig it and give it high praise. Just a hunch of course, just feel like refined gameplay will get rewarded with high praise this gen, people are tired of the AAA formula.

Plum

These scores and the DF article have sold me on this game but damn, that length means it'll be almost impossible for me to finish it before Zelda. Looks like I'll have to play as much as I can then pick it up afterwards.

Zaventem

So standard retail or digital deluxe? Decisions.....

I hated being forced to buy the digital deluxe and that their was no physical version of that but if you don't care either way might as well support them and get the deluxe edition. Hopefully a rerelease gives us a limited edition all in one version like the souls games get in japan. I'lll easily make a double dipping.

Ogawa-san

The frustrating part about that Polygon preview and all those reviews with the "only for the hardcore" disclaimer is that they're scaring people away, just like the "too hard" mystic around Souls games.

They're really not, it's more about patience and perseverance than skill. Hell, those kills landed after an hour of excruciating failure are among the best parts of these games.

Damn PSN cards are too OP. They are the actual secret final boss in Nioh.
I bought a $10 card to top my wallet off so I could preorder Nioh. I'm a monster for keeping it at #3 :(

crimilde

Banned
The frustrating part about that Polygon preview and all those reviews with the "only for the hardcore" disclaimer is that they're scaring people away, just like the "too hard" mystic around Souls games.

They're really not, it's more about patience and perseverance than skill. Hell, those kills landed after an hour of excruciating failure are among the best parts of these games.

I completely agree with you. That feeling of exhilaration and accomplishment, riding the adrenaline rush after beating a boss on your nth try is one of the best things in the world.

Eolz

Hell, even the reviewer from Destructoid is in that Polygon article's comments saying that if you finished Ninja Gaiden on hard, it's not that hard.

Top Bottom