• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

Did I misremember...You can lob fools' heads off in this one right? NG style? I only played the alpha (or first beta, whatever they called it).

Slixshot

Banned
Still waiting on the numbers from some pretty big sites (Gamespot, God is Geek, The Sixth Axis). Could bring it up to like a 90 if they're high enough! :D

Mupod

5 enemies at a time was something that happened in the alpha demo if you weren't careful...

But yeah more than 1-2 at a time is real rough. Maybe once I get better with spears it'll be doable.

Did I misremember...You can lob fools' heads off in this one right? NG style? I only played the alpha (or first beta, whatever they called it).

hell yeah you can. Demons too. Also headshots with ranged weapons take em right off.

crimilde

Banned
I'm mostly curious about the EZA review. I know Ben loved the alpha/betas and I wonder what he thinks about the full game.

My back log keeps growing.

Games I've started and have to finish
BB DLC
Rez
Thumper
TLG
GR2
Grand Kingdom

Games I've pre-ordered
Horizon
Nier
Nioh
Yakuza 0
Final Fantasy 15

Old Backlog
MGSV
Witcher 3
Inside
Hyper Light Drifter
FF7 Remaster

Evergreen games
Destiny
Final Fantasy 14
SFV
Rocket League

hell yeah you can. Demons too. Also headshots with ranged weapons take em right off.
oh yeah you can
Let's go boys
tumblr_lqrp3bMxjb1qlh9eeo1_500.gif

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

BB DLC
Rez
Thumper
TLG
GR2
Grand Kingdom

Games I've pre-ordered
Horizon
Nier
Nioh
Yakuza 0
Final Fantasy 15

Old Backlog
MGSV
Witcher 3
Inside
Hyper Light Drifter
FF7 Remaster

Evergreen games
Destiny
Final Fantasy 14
SFV
Rocket League

Drop everything and go finish The Last Guardian and Inside! Both are short and so damn good.

jjonez18

TLG, FFXV, and now Nioh. Games that were in purgatory and ended up well received. I was expecting at least one of them to be burning garbage.

You can actually keep dismembering them as they're doing their 'dramatically and slowly sinking to the ground' death animation which is endlessly satisfying to me somehow haha.

You can decapitate a guy and keep digging into their falling body which kind of props them up again for a split second going for the complete torso-only gore meltdown.

xuchu

I can't find any info on whether the game is cut. I'll just assume it isn't.

Well, here you go.

https://www.destructoid.com/-merica-nioh-will-have-dismemberment-added-in-the-west-355064.phtml

Admittedly this is an old article and things may have changed but people were also still saying the jp version of the LCT did not have decapitations. Would be happy if anyone who played that version could confirm or deny. Hopefully Germany will still have decapitations, it probably will.

Barzul

Can someone tell me if this game is harder or easier than Bloodborne (which I've made very little progress in)?

silva1991

I agree, I cancelled my preorder after the demo as I was expecting a Ninja Gaiden game with some Souls elements, but this game is basically Souls with a samurai skin and some battle system additions. Gaiden fans should not expect to play that way in this game. It takes serious skills to do anything close to the fast-paced combos in NG. And combat with multiple enemies is not a strength of this game. It's really built for 1v1 combat. I felt like I was always fighting with the mechanics because I wanted a different experience out of it, didn't want the stance switching to be so cumbersome, didn't want to constantly deal with the stamina system. If you like Souls games you'll love this game, but if you like NG you might be disappointed as I was.

Not necessarily for both. Seeing an character action games expert like XLHGladiator make all those combo videos of Ni Oh clearly shows that it scratches the character action games itch for him, and there were many souls fans whom played the demos and didn't really like Ni Oh and likely never gonna buy it.

The sooner people acknowledge that Ni Oh is it's own thing with some similarities to sousl and action games the better.

Neoweee

We are only 17 reviews. It should finish with at least 40 to 50. It's possible, but I'm leaning towards no. Some more 10 like Sterling's could really help the cause.

Yeah, its not impossible, but we'd essentially need the existing reviews to not be at all indicative of future reviews. The game is at 86 via a spread of 8s and 9s, primarily. It would need to stop getting 8s, and instead get a mix of 9s and 10s.

mollipen

yeah polygon will lower it because its too hard

I'm not Polygon, but I'm finding it easier than I expected so far. At the same time though, I found Dark Souls III to be too easy as well. (Save for specific situations/enemies in both.) I think part of it is just the "Souls comfort level" that many fans have talked about.

Drop everything and go finish The Last Guardian and Inside! Both are short and so damn good.
lol...yeah, TLG, GR2, Inside all this month hopefully!

Maybe If I really put in some time I can finally platinum Blood Borne, never started the DLC!!!! heard it was fantastic!

BB DLC
Rez
Thumper
TLG
GR2
Grand Kingdom

Games I've pre-ordered
Horizon
Nier
Nioh
Yakuza 0
Final Fantasy 15

Old Backlog
MGSV
Witcher 3
Inside
Hyper Light Drifter
FF7 Remaster

Evergreen games
Destiny
Final Fantasy 14
SFV
Rocket League

You should just focus all your attention on The Last Guardian. There, problem solved. No need to thank me for easing your burden.

Yeah, its not impossible, but we'd essentially need the existing reviews to not be at all indicative of future reviews. The game is at 86 via a spread of 8s and 9s, primarily. It would need to stop getting 8s, and instead get a mix of 9s and 10s.

It's at 87 now with 23 reviews.

You should just focus all your attention on The Last Guardian. There, problem solved. No need to thank me for easing your burden.

The Last Guardian first and then buy Resident Evil 7.

In terms of games it's unrivaled. Like even if they stopped having exclusives after NiOh they'd still have had more exclusives this year than their competition.

Not just more exclusives, but really good exclusives.

Dammit! I forgot I have RE7 to play too!!!!! Woe is me! (at least this one I'm waiting for because I can't play something so scary in VR by myself, gotta wait until friends come over)

hmmm...I think Nier will hit 90+ on meta, I see Nioh settling in at high 80's, same as Horizon.

Gurish

In terms of games it's unrivaled. Like even if they stopped having exclusives after NiOh they'd still have had more exclusives this year than their competition.

Yea, I wouldn't say they dominate this gen like they did with the PS2 line up wise, only because third party is not exclusive as it used to be anymore, but yea they have so much better exclusive line up than the competition it's not even comparable.

Not necessarily for both. Seeing an character action games expert like XLHGladiator make all those combo videos of Ni Oh clearly shows that it scratches the character action games itch for him, and there were many souls fans whom played the demos and didn't really like Ni Oh and likely never gonna buy it.

As I said, pulling off the moves XLHGladiator did is out of reach for the vast majority of players; just because you can theoretically string together some combos if you have amazing skills doesn't make Nioh a NG-style game.

Top Bottom