• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Bayonetta 1 and 2 are in the upper echelons of character action games. Ninja Gaiden Black is up there, DMC3 is up there.

Ninja Gaiden 2 was good but flawed. NG3RE is a mess.

I'd say NG3RE is a very fun game. Flawed in many aspects as a holdover from its source material by default, but far from a mess. NG3 itself is by definition a mess. People underestimate just how much was changed and reworked in NG3RE, it might as well be a different game entirely

HeelPower

I was hoping it would cross the 90s barrier but I imagine its the game is too difficult for that to happen.

The demos were some of the best experiences ever tbh.

Hastati

All this talk comparing Platinum and Team Ninja, and I'm still hyped out the wazoo for both games.

Maybe...Team Ninja and Platinum should codevelop a game. Would definitely end up completely insane in the plot department.

On the topic of Nioh, is there a rarity level above purple? Curious to know is how much strict loot grinding we will get (as a plus).

Inuhanyou

Eh I think it depends what you like. I like hack-and-slash games and I've enjoyed DMC but nothing comes close to the visceral thrill of Ninja Gaiden combat. So for me I would put even Razor's Edge above pretty much anything. Haven't played Bayoneta only MGR and that I did not rate at all so don't rate Platinum too highly.

You should def check out Bayonetta(on 360) and Nier Automata at some point. I actually find them much better than something like MGR

Jesus, John really likes this game and it plays and performs very well too. Great to see

I am basically going to go into this game blind. I haven't watched much footage or played the Beta.

I'm very excited for Samurai Dark Souls.

Personally, I prefer the Ninja Gaiden Style of action over Platinum's games overall (aside for W101). It's because I like that Ninja Gaiden is more about Survival (which appeals to the Arcade enthusiast more than platinum's modern interpretation) and the game accommodates this with extremely varied encounters with complex enemies that test survival over a couple of difficult encounters. There's also a very nice commitment to avoiding unneeded button prompts in most NG games which helps keep me in the action. While Platinum has a couple issues with showing button prompts when its unnecessary. (I excuse Vanquish though because the action button is dedicated to multiple contextual actions that are level design oriented).

BigEmil

People should really stop saying this combines elements from Ninja Gaiden.
I'm sure if it wasn't from Team Ninja, they wouldn't even bring it up.
Why does it bother you so much, if people feel like it is then it is to them gee.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
#1 video game on Amazon Canada.

Looks like the reviews are getting people hyped.

Not to bring any hopes up, but Nintendo published Ninja Gaiden 3: Razors edge for the wii U then came out on the 360/PS4 a year later.

It's hard to tell. There are arguments for and against the likely hood of it coming out on other platform(s). If only Sony put a bit more effort into their labels. Nioh doesn't carry an "Only on" or "Console Exclusive" label yet is published by Sony.

Basically, if it happens, it happens. But it hasn't happened yet.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
It's hard to tell. There are arguments for and against the likely hood of it coming out on other platform(s). If only Sony put a bit more effort into their labels. Nioh doesn't carry an "Only on" or "Console Exclusive" label yet is published by Sony.

Basically, if it happens, it happens. But it hasn't happened yet.

Playstation.com(US) said it's "Only on"
Its Asia&Europe Version seems get the "Only on" label. The same thing happened with Yakuza0 but Altus clarify it

BlizzKrut

Banned
I'm glad the game is getting good reviews, it looks great!

I must say, I think this year is going be fantastic, so far so good with RE7, GR2 and Nioh getting good reviews, let's see if Horizon and For Honor join these ranks this month.

Unknown?

So it'll probably be awhile before all reviews are out, right? What's the consensus on the story? I thought Bloodborne had great lore but piss poor story. Is NiOh more up front and explanatory?

UrbanRats

Why does it bother you so much, if people feel like it is then it is to them gee.
What kind of reasoning is that? Usually there should be a reason behind the comparisons we make, no?
Gameplay wise i see little to nothing of Ninja Gaiden in this.

No jump, no charged UT, dodging is different, the whole dynamic of facing enemies and the pace of encounters is different, etc etc.
It's faster than Dark Souls, but not to the point where a comparison with NG makes sense more than a comparison with DMC or any other action game.
I guess Parries are kind of similar, but even those work somewhat differently, in terms of timing.

--
Anyway, aside from that nitpick, it's a real good video, John.
A bit disappointed that the Pro version doesn't keep the 1080p all the time, but as you mentioned, better to drop resolution than frames.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
So it'll probably be awhile before all reviews are out, right? What's the consensus on the story? I thought Bloodborne had great lore but piss poor story. Is NiOh more up front and explanatory?

It's a more traditionally told story although I think the general sentiment was it's kind of meh. Not terrible or anything but also not a strong point.

Inuhanyou

People should really stop saying this combines elements from Ninja Gaiden.
I'm sure if it wasn't from Team Ninja, they wouldn't even bring it up.

But its true. the pace is the combat is distinctly ninja gaiden, the depth of the mechanics are directly from NG. That is without going into the actual ninja skill tree where you can throw shurikens and other projectiles just like NG

Man do I want to go for the up to 4k resolution or 60 fps. Right now I'm leaning towards 60 fps, it just looks very good at that higher frame rate

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Man do I want to go for the up to 4k resolution or 60 fps. Right now I'm leaning towards 60 fps, it just looks very good at that higher frame rate
First run: 60fps Action mode
Second run: 4K Movie mode

I'd recommend that silky smooth 60fps on Pro for the initial run cause it feels sooo much better to play.

Top Bottom